Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 NBA playoffs will be starting soon.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 and you were so insistent on doubling down on that av bet with this series. Imagine if I had accepted your offer. 😂

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

The thing that gets me here though is no one ever wants to talk about the opposing team blowing leads and their best players playing like crap. Miami is on the verge of becoming the first team ever to blow a 3-0 series lead and rather than talking about that we're talking about Boston almost losing the game that they won lol .

because the expectations are vastly different. no one, including me, is harping on a potential 3-0 meltdown by Miami because no one, including the players' mommas, would have honestly predicted them having 4 cracks at a spot in the NBA Finals before the playoffs started. to this point, what they have accomplished has far exceeded what a normal, sane, sober person's bar of expections would be.

Ha! This is where Miami has everyone fooled and the TNT announcers calling their games would have you believe that they're the NBA version of the 1969 Mets or something.
    They still have the same roster from a year ago where they were the #1 seed yet underperformed to fall into the play-in.
    They still have the same group of 3pt shooters who led the NBA in 3pt percentage a year ago yet underperformed this past season.
    We keep hearing how they're playing X amount of undrafted players when where you're drafted only matters on draft night and when you sign your contract. The TNt guys who keep throwing this out there fail to mention close to all of these players have been in the league for awhile now.

What I'm saying is,they're all painting this picture that Miami is this really bad team who got on a hot streak that carried them this far. Thats a lie when they're actually a really good team who just finally found their stride once the playoffs started.

Boston, on the other hand, was the odds-on favorite to win it all heading into the playoffs. this is not a normal track record for such a team:

Game 5 against Atlanta.........13-point lead with 8:07 left in the 4th........loss
    Game 1 against Miami...........12-point lead with 10:55 left in the 3rd......loss
    Game 2 against Miami...........12-point lead with 10:35 left in the 4th......loss
    Game 6 against Miami...........10-point lead with 3:51 left in the 4th........minor miracle win
    that's almost three times in one series where they were incapable of putting away a team that had no business mounting that many comebacks to begin with. if you're a title contender, that's unacceptable. when you have a duo like Brown and Tatum that is talented enough to thwart victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat attempts, that's unacceptable.

We both know that being the odds-on favorite means absolutely nothing on the court. That is just some arbitrary entity outside of the NBA making gamblers believe that that stuff really matters when it doesn't.

I can look at those 4 games you just pointed out and do the same with any contender in the NBA this season other than Denver. I could do the same in 2021-22, 2020-21 or any year before then.

Yes,the Celtics team is flawed and they blow leads late in games which drives myself and this fanbase crazy lol. I could list plenty more of complaints that I'd have with them but,again, I can show you plenty of contenders in recent years who had the same. Boston could win the next 5 games,throw a parade and a year from now could end making the exact same mental mistakes that you're talking about that could get them knocked out from the playoffs.

My point is, for anyone expecting this type of play to just disappear like _that_from any team,let alone the Celtics, then that person isn't being realistic at all about this regardless of some betting line that some random oddsmaker throws out there.

Side topic: How many of the preseason and pre-playoffs favorites actually win it all in the end? I'm guessing it doesn't happen often outside of the years where dynasty type teams won it and even then they've all lost Finals as well.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    and that goes back to the Tatum mentality topic. when you're a stud, a true stud, you make plays when your team needs them. you become hyperaggressive and attack the rim. worst case scenario, you've got two cracks from the charity stripe. from my observation, there was no one on the floor for Boston who developed the f-you mentality i've spoken about to stop the bleeding in those games. almost as if they were looking around, waiting for a teammate to stem the tide. that is simply not good enough. Tatum is that guy............he's just gotta channel it.

i'd love nothing more than to see him out of his mind aggressive tomorrow night and put up a huge number. or better yet, if they're up double-digits in the 4th and start absorbing haymakers from Miami, take........the........effing.......game........over.

I was saving this topic for possibly another thread if/when this Celtics season ended but i'll just throw this out there now.
    Its honestly going to be a bit TLDR so there's your warning. lol

Yes,he looks great one night then doesn't bring it the next. I agree,but he's also just 25 and many of the greatest players in history hadn't figured it all out when they were that age either.

(This next part is not directed specifically at you) I keep seeing comments from so many basketball fans online who I know aren't watching Tatum on a daily basis during the season and then when the playoffs start just assume he should turn into MJ,Bird or Magic in their prime. When he doesn't lead the Celtics to a championship win he's now this failure who should have already won X amount of rings,when that is literally the toughest goal to reach in the NBA even moreso than taking that next jump from being a top 5-15ish player in the league into the top 3-5.

He's accomplished so much at this young age but who knows when it will finally click for him but he's no different than any other star/future superstar throught history.

Go look back at when it finally clicked for any of the greats throughout the years.
    This list below is how old each player was when they won their first ring. Sure you could make the argument that some of them had it before they finally won but with most of these players,that wasn't the case at all.

You could say it finally clicked for Lebron at the age of 28 when he won his first ring. We heard the the same stuff about him as we're hearing now with Tatum until he finally won in the Finals. Couldn't get it done in the clutch,was afraid to take the final shot yet all that went away when he got that ring even though he was still the same player from one day to the next.

Jordan won his ring 28, Dirk was 31, Hakeem was 31, Isiah Thomas was 28, Curry was 27, KD was 28 ,Wilt was 30, Shaq was 28,Pierce was 30,KG was 32, Robinson was 33.
    Many of these players above had a teammate that you could honestly say was better than both Tatum & Brown are now yet it still took them many years to get over that hump. All of them had their own flaws that neede to be fixed before they finally won.

This next group were players who were Tatum's age or younger but really had someone better carrying the team when they first won their rings:
    Kobe was 21 but had Prime Shaq. It then took Kobe 5-6 seasons a THE guy after Shaq left to win on his own.
    Wade was 23 but also had prime Shaq.
    Kawhi was 23 but he had Duncan,Parker & Manu taking all of the heat off him.

The only players left who were the guy who carried their teams to a championship at a very young were:
    Bird,Magic,Duncan,Kareem,Russell,Havlicek all won at 24 or younger and are the exception to the rule here. They were absolutely great right from the start

Then the were many great players who had long careers yet never were able to get over that hump. Barkley,Ewing,Malone,Stockton,Nash,Miller,Iverson,CP3,Mullin,Carter & Maravich all played on many stacked teams yet couldn't win a Chip.

Tatum is just 25 and I agree that,like you, I'm also waiting impatiently to see him take that next step in elevating his game. It might happen next week,next year or never,who knows. but you could look back at any of the careers of those players I just mentioned above and say the same when they were his age.
    The reason why I personally feel confident that he'll eventually reach this level that you keep referring to is because I've seen how far he's come from his first game in the NBA until last night, I haven't missed a single game during that stretch. The only question that remains is when? 🤷‍♂️ if I could predict that then I wouldn't be here arguing with you,I'd be asking for gambling tips so we could both get rich. 😎

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Boston players remember their final home game last June.

They were expected to win but did not.

Tomorrow's Game 7 is up for grabs and Boston should not assume they will win.

Should be fun to watch what may be a historic Game 7.

The only way it could be more dramatic would be to have it be Game 7 of the Finals.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    curious, did anyone here catch this little faux pas? I was avoiding my TV like a nut and missed it

That one was bad but not many caught it unlike this premature celebration in Philly a few years back. 😂🤣
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYyRh05lB0

• Options

This is my last thought on this game and I just wanted to point out this part mentioned here:
    Game 6 against Miami...........10-point lead with 3:51 left in the 4th........minor miracle win

I'm going to look at that from the opposite angle and say it really was a minor miracle that Boston even had a 10pt lead in this game.
    They shot 20% from three, hitting on 7 of their 35 attempts. This was by far Boston's worst three point shooting game all season. While Miami made 14 threes to our 7 for a 21pt advantage on the scoreboard.
    Butler alone made 2 threes while Tatum,Brown,Grant & Horford combined to go 0-17 from three.
    Boston had over twice as many turnovers as Miami had (12-6.)
    The only offensive edge that mattered for them on the scoreboard was Boston making 6 more free throws than Miami plus one more 2pt FG..
    The C's had a slight advantage in FB points,points off TOs and PIP but Miami's 3pt shooting pretty much negated most of that.
    Some could say Butler & Bam having horrible shooting nights played a major factor but the same could be said for Tatum who shot just as bad or Brown spending the entire game in foul trouble.
    Neither of these two teams played well enough to earn that victory,imo. The game was destined to come down to a final possesiion and thats how it played out. I expect the same in G7 unless someone from either decides to play lights out and goes to win it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This is my last thought on this game and I just wanted to point out this part mentioned here:

I'm going to look at that from the opposite angle and say it really was a minor miracle that Boston even had a 10pt lead in this game.
    They shot 20% from three, hitting on 7 of their 35 attempts. This was by far Boston's worst three point shooting game all season. While Miami made 14 threes to our 7 for a 21pt advantage on the scoreboard.
    Butler alone made 2 threes while Tatum,Brown,Grant & Horford combined to go 0-17 from three.
    Boston had over twice as many turnovers as Miami had (12-6.)
    The only offensive edge that mattered for them on the scoreboard was Boston making 6 more free throws than Miami plus one more 2pt FG..
    The C's had a slight advantage in FB points,points off TOs and PIP but Miami's 3pt shooting pretty much negated most of that.
    Some could say Butler & Bam having horrible shooting nights played a major factor but the same could be said for Tatum who shot just as bad or Brown spending the entire game in foul trouble.
    Neither of these two teams played well enough to earn that victory,imo. The game was destined to come down to a final possesiion and thats how it played out. I expect the same in G7 unless someone from either decides to play lights out and goes to win it.

Bring your flashlights (if you have two, you have one. If you have one, you have none).

Why? Because it is going to be lights out, courtesy of JT.

• Options

Well he finished with 31/12/5 while making 15/15 free throws and it was just a one point victory. Just to be on the safe side lets hope he doubles up across the board finishing with 62/24/10 in a two point victory. 😎

Just get the W. I honestly could not care less how it looks.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2023 10:37AM

Officials for Celtics-Heat Game 7:
    Scott Foster
    Tony Brothers
    John Goble

Celtics are 7-17 in the post season lifetime when Tony Brothers refs.
    The Heat have lost 13 of the last 14 games Scott Foster has officiated for them.
    Oh and John Goble is from Miami. 🤣

Tonight's game 7 is going to be epic!

I'm putting the O/U on # of players from that 2004 Red Sox team getting rolled out there pregame by Celtics management tonight at 6. 😉👍

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 12:02PM

@erikthredd said:

I'm putting the O/U on # of players from that 2004 Red Sox team getting rolled out there pregame by Celtics management tonight at 6. 😉👍

how sweet would it be to turn out the lights right before they announce the C's starters, cue the music, shine a spotlight on the leprechaun at midcourt, which has a base on it, then out of nowhere dave roberts comes flying in head first

dude might pull a hammy, break a bone or get an oversized strawberry, but I say it would be very worth it 😅

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

how sweet would it be to turn out the lights right before they announce the C's starters, cue the music, shine a spotlight on the leprechaun at midcourt, which has a base on it, then out of nowhere dave roberts comes flying in head first

dude might pull a hammy, break a bone or get an oversized strawberry, but I say it would be very worth it 😅

Curt Schilling could offer him one clean sock if he starts bleeding
    Kevin Millar could have a shot of Jack Daniels ready to take away the pain
    Pedro could tell Jimmy Butler that the Celtics are his daddy
    and Big Papi could end it all by telling everyone "this is our F'n series"

If the Celtics still can't win with all of this going on then our offseason starts by raffling off our starting five and donating the proceeds to charity. 😎

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

This.Is.The.Show.

• Options

Philly just hired Nick Nurse to be their HC. We'll have to wait and see if its enough for Harden to stick around.

Also it looks like Malcolm Brogdon will be back for tonight's game.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Philly just hired Nick Nurse to be their HC. We'll have to wait and see if its enough for Harden to stick around.

Also it looks like Malcolm Brogdon will be back for tonight's game.

I anticipate a great game from Brogdon.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2023 5:32PM

@erikthredd said:
    Philly just hired Nick Nurse to be their HC.

It’s a huge downgrade going from a doctor to a nurse. 😎
    Can’t lie, I stole that line from someone else lol.

• Options

brutal 1st q

• Options

Wait, wait, wait, - Boston has to come out on fire to win at home and they THUD at 22-15 end of first???????

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:
    Philly just hired Nick Nurse to be their HC.

It’s a huge downgrade going from a doctor to a nurse. 😎

No shoot - a Doctor will prescribe you meds to cover up you symptoms, a nurse will help you to recover from them!

• Options

happy we eclipsed 40 at half. im calm, really... :#

• Options

Yes - we are all calm..........

• Options

Doesn't look good!

• Options

Congratulations to any Heat fan reading this!!

I'll be back...

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Doesn't look good!

Yup. Hats off to Miami, they took control right from the start and kept it all night.

Caleb Martin is looking like the best free agent signing from last offseason. That guy has been a stud in this series.

• Options

Boston is an enigma. From game to game you never know which team will show up.

Congrats to Miami.

So what is going to happen in the Finals.

• Options

It sucks seeing the C's lose this G7 but i'm at least grateful that they turned their series around after G3. The overreactions after that game were absolutely brutal,including my own,and had they been swept it would have gone nuclear within this fanbase this summer. They showed some heart & pride to get it this far and now they don't need to head into the offseason making any major changes.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Boston is an enigma. From game to game you never know which team will show up.

Congrats to Miami.

So what is going to happen in the Finals.

If Miami beats Denver I'd like to take some solace that Boston lost to the eventual champs but even with how good Miami has looked in these playoffs,I still think Denver is going to win.

I visit alot of NBA related websites and the Joker gets so little love it seems from so many fans when he's arguably one of the most underrated players of all time,imo. And the guy plays at a turtle's pace and it makes no sense lol. He really got robbed of that 3rd straight MVP,hopefully he makes up for it with the FMVP.

Seeing that there could only be 7 games at most left in this season, I hope we get to see an entertaining series that goes the full 7.

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Jokic gets love from everyone and a lot of people said he rightfully deserved MVP over Embiid, I disagree with the notion that he gets so little love. Everyone knows what he can do, especially after manhandling the lakers.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@Davidk7 said:
    Jokic gets love from everyone and a lot of people said he rightfully deserved MVP over Embiid, I disagree with the notion that he gets so little love. Everyone knows what he can do, especially after manhandling the lakers.

I'm just going off of what I've read in comment sections and this was mostly during the 2nd half of the season and first few rounds of the playoffs. I honestly haven't tuned into those same sites much since he played and beat LA.
    Its possible some opinions may have changed with the sweep of LA but there are plenty of NBA fans who just aren't Jokic fans for some reason when the guy is a phenomenal basketball player. 🤷‍♂️
    I'd love to see him win that first ring in the coming weeks.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Davidk7 said:

I'm just going off of what I've read in comment sections and this was mostly during the 2nd half of the season and first few rounds of the playoffs. I honestly haven't tuned into those same sites much since he played and beat LA.
    Its possible some opinions may have changed with the sweep of LA but there are plenty of NBA fans who just aren't Jokic fans for some reason when the guy is a phenomenal basketball player. 🤷‍♂️

I can respect that. Maybe we read comments in different places. On Instagram and some other social media sites people have been riding the Jokic wave since he is a 2x MVP already. I can see what you mean. While I do love Jokic as a player, I would not love to see him win his first ring in the coming weeks. Go heat!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@Davidk7 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Davidk7 said:

I can respect that. Maybe we read comments in different places. On Instagram and some other social media sites people have been riding the Jokic wave since he is a 2x MVP already. I can see what you mean. While I do love Jokic as a player, I would not love to see him win his first ring in the coming weeks. Go heat!

Congrats on the win tonight.

• Options

Growing up in Denver and attending ABA and NBA games in the late 1960"s and the 1970's (Denver Rockets and Nuggets) was fun.

I would like to see Denver win the title and I am glad the final ABA team that joined the NBA in 1976 finally made the Finals.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Davidk7 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Davidk7 said:

Congrats on the win tonight.

Appreciate it. You guys had me sweating for the last week, it was not a good time. Always a fun battle between our squads.

• Options

Just heard a news report that Bob Meyers is stepping down as the general manager of the Warriors.

GS as a team and as an organization will likely be much different in the 2023-2024 season.

• Options

when Tatum turned his ankle, i turned the game off

so i watched about 30 seconds

best decision i've made in a while

by all accounts, Jaylen Brown was so bad he was borderline unplayable

but apparently so was the entire team. you shoot 21% from deep and they shoot 50%, that's the blueprint for getting blown out

kudos to the Heat -- that was some serious resilience

also congrats to Davidk7..............glad you've joined us. post early and often.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    by all accounts, Jaylen Brown was so bad he was borderline unplayable

With how he played in this series and against GS in the Finals, i think the front office needs to really reflect on whether you can win a championship with Brown as your #2 player,especially when the team is about to back the Brinks truck up for him.

In an ideal world,your #2 guy should be able to pick up the slack when your #1 is having an offnight. Brown has done that during the regular season and at times in the playoffs but he's been hit or miss when it matters most.

That being said,I wouldn't give up on him yet but I'd look into adding someone like Dame or Bradley Beal. They have the picks and plenty of solid players to match the salaries.
    Where Boston doesn't have an all time great like a Lebron or Curry carrying the team.it wouldn't hurt to bring in one more legit scoring threat especially one that you could run the offense through.

• Options

When was the last time you saw a 7-4 center do this? This kid is gonna be so fun to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy23SqQejwY&t=13s

• Options

Monty Williams just got PAID with Detroit signing him to the largest coaching contract in NBA history at 6yr/78M.
    He has some good young players,the 5th pick in the draft plus 40+M in cap space to start turning the team around.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37770616/monty-williams-coach-pistons-agrees-record-6-year-785m-deal

• Options

Well here we go - I say Miami doesn't even make it close tonight! Of course I'm always wrong so Miami up 1-0 :D

• Options

How the heck did the Cavs steal the Heat's uniforms and play Denver tonight? :o

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    How the heck did the Cavs steal the Heat's uniforms and play Denver tonight? :o

And how come these Heat shooters didn't go 4/17 from three against Boston? 🤬
    Denver deserves credit for slowing the Heat scoring down especially Aaron Gordon on Jimmy holding him to just 7 at the half. Then on the other end,Jokic is picking apart that Heat defense with his 10 assists.
    Lets see what the second half brings

• Options

One down for the Nugs. If Butler,Martin,Robinson & Strus are going to combine for 19pts this series will be over real quick.

• Options

confucius say: team shoot 2 free throws in game, team lose

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    confucius say: team shoot 2 free throws in game, team lose

That tends to happen when you spend most of the game taking outside shots. The entire team outside of Bam & Highsmith combined to go 5-16 in the paint. Can't get to the line if you're not creating contact.

The Miami shooters all went ice cold but its also on Himmy Butler to step his game up. For a guy who arrogantly predicted wins during the ECF, you'd think he'd do better than 6-14 for 13pts in a Finals game.

On the plus side,Tyler Herro might be a go for G2 but who knows how effective he could be.

• Options

Heat off to a much better 1st quarter so far - Although the Heat are missing too many shots, otherwise it would be a runaway in the 1st

• Options
    edited June 4, 2023 8:06PM

I was hoping for that last 3 to go in just so we get 5 more mins lol. Great win by the Heat! They pretty much made Jokic just be a scorer tonight by taking away his passing targets then on the other end thery were En Fuego from three all night.

Murray needs to get going much earlier in the game. Hit a couple big threes late but when Porter Jr & KCP are now shows on offense he needs to do more.

Am I the only one that thought the refs were pretty brutal tonight especially in that 3rd quarter? (edit: Already seeing complaints about the missed goal tending on Bam and the no call on a Vincent 3 in the 3rd where Jimmy stopped out of bounds along the baseline before hitting Gabe for a three. )

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I was hoping for that last 3 to go in just so we get 5 more mins lol. Great win by the Heat! They pretty much made Jokic just be a scorer tonight by taking away his passing targets then on the other end thery were En Fuego from three all night.

Murray needs to get going much earlier in the game. Hit a couple big threes late but when Porter Jr & KCP are now shows on offense he needs to do more.

Am I the only one that thought the refs were pretty brutal tonight especially in that 3rd quarter? (edit: Already seeing complaints about the missed goal tending on Bam and the no call on a Vincent 3 in the 3rd where Jimmy stopped out of bounds along the baseline before hitting Gabe for a three. )

Refs were no good.
    I was thinking Nuggets in 5 if they win both at home to open it, so it's Nuggets in 6 now.

• Options

Last night's game was very entertaining.

I do not know who will win, but there is something about Miami that makes me think this series may go 7 games.

• Options

Very surprised Miami won that game last night.