Home Sports Talk

2023 NBA playoffs will be starting soon.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Celtics in 6> @erikthredd said:

That 90 second stretch where Tatum coughed it up 3 straight times was just brutal to watch. Tatum & Bown had 5 turnovers in that 4th quarter alone and I swear all 5 were absolute brainfart moments. 🤬

Being a fan of this team is like riding a huge rollercoaster,they'll have these huge highs one day then some rock bottom lows the next lol.

I'm seeing online that YouTube tv went down with about 5 minutes to go in the 4th. That's when my stream/s stopped too. I got it back towards the end but it kept glitching. So what I'm saying is...I think I missed that full 3 turnover stretch.

It was horrible. The first one was just a bad pass cross court that Butler was waiting on like he was Deion Sanders. Butler did the same to Brown earlier in the quarter.
    Then Tatum's next one was a traveling call where he was out at the 3pt line,someone in the paint kicked it out to him and I think it was Martin who quickly closed out on him right when Tatum was just about to go up with the shot. It ended up this ugly looking motion into a shot attempt then at the last second he decided to not shoot. Once he went up then tried getting his foot back down It didn't work. The last one was just your everyday travelling call.

We've seen this before. They go from all-NBA to can't play.

In that 3rd quarter, I felt like Mazzulla missed some opportunities for timeouts. We let everything snowball.

It's like this ...if you get a flat tire, what do you do? Do you change the tire and keep driving, or slice slash the other three? The Celtics often choose to slice slash the other three.

Fixed it for you. 😉

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    why the C's always gotta make things difficult?

i really thought they got over the hump after the Sixers series and wouldn't throw another game away at home like i've seen them do at least a handful of times this season

they looked good the first half, then out of nowhere they give up a 46(!) spot in the 3rd. the inexplicable lapses continue.

Believe me its very frustrating, Its almost like they prefer to always makes thing harder for themselves.

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:
    why the C's always gotta make things difficult?

i really thought they got over the hump after the Sixers series and wouldn't throw another game away at home like i've seen them do at least a handful of times this season

they looked good the first half, then out of nowhere they give up a 46(!) spot in the 3rd. the inexplicable lapses continue.

Believe me its very frustrating, Its almost like they prefer to always makes thing harder for themselves.

Hey @galaxy27 , maybe you think the Celtics look like they are going to lose this series?...if so, I might have an av wager that could spring you from that 'L'...(or keep you locked up in it until NFL training camp). Let me know.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Celtics remind me of a little kid who is curious about a hot stove. you tell them repeatedly to stay away, yet it falls on deaf ears. they decide to tempt fate by inching closer to it.

will Boston be saved before they burn the living pop tarts out of their hand?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    the Celtics remind me of a little kid who is curious about a hot stove. you tell them repeatedly to stay away, yet it falls on deaf ears. they decide to tempt fate by inching closer to it.

As the president of the Tatum fan club, I have his number in my rolodex. I have forwarded him your comment, he has learned his lesson, and he is ready to go.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2023 6:07AM

Tatum literally disappeared in the 4th and almost the entire second half.

@perkdog said:
    Tatum literally disappeared in the 4th and almost the entire second half.

This is frustrating, very frustrating. I still see us winning. I have no doubt.

My confidence in winning the finals is waning.

My prediction for the Nuggets Lakers is that the Nuggets will be up 3-1 when they go back to Denver for game 5.

Nuggets in 5.

I just feel like Jokic is on a mission, and is destined to make the finals. lose in the finals to the Celtics.

I expect the Nuggets Lakers series to be a lot of fun to watch. Even if my (relatively bold) prediction of Nuggets in 5 comes to fruition, I still think it will be must watch basketball.

a serious, morning-after question for all green and white fans

by all accounts, Tatum is a really good guy. do you think he is too nice? to the point of it preventing him from possessing a killer mentality?

edited May 18, 2023 8:00AM

@galaxy27 said:

by all accounts, Tatum is a really good guy. do you think he is too nice? to the point of it preventing him from possessing a killer mentality?

I think he is immature and let's his emotions take over, he isn't ready to adult and be a leader.

He is young and just needs to mature and understand that.

its not all subshine and rainbows, that's my take on him, he needs to step up when the team is failing but instead he crumbles

We didn't see any tears from Jimmy Buckets in the first half did we?

@galaxy27 said:

I've been harsh on him all along, throwing out generalizations like he isn't a closer, he doesn't want it bad enough, he isn't focussed, he's soft, etc.

I know that he can do it, but it doesn't come naturally and it isn't by default. He certainly had to work very hard to get to where he is. So he knows how to grind, and dedicate himself. But does he have that "dawg" in him? If I was before the oracle, and my life was on the line, I would say no.

But then because I lived, and I like to be a bit pedantic (and because I am now president of his fan club) I would say that the real problem is that he loses confidence, and doesn't have a cognitive grasp on exactly how good he is, comparatively, and how to take advantage of his size and ability on an every play basis.

@galaxy27 said:

So all they need is for some white cat to come save them? Well they tried winning with Peyton Pritchard and that didn't work so maybe they should go with Sam Hauser next. 😉

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

I've been harsh on him all along, throwing out generalizations like he isn't a closer, he doesn't want it bad enough, he isn't focussed, he's soft, etc.

I know that he can do it, but it doesn't come naturally and it isn't by default. He certainly had to work very hard to get to where he is. So he knows how to grind, and dedicate himself. But does he have that "dawg" in him? If I was before the oracle, and my life was on the line, I would say no.

But then because I lived, and I like to be a bit pedantic (and because I am now president of his fan club) I would say that the real problem is that he loses confidence, and doesn't have a cognitive grasp on exactly how good he is, comparatively, and how to take advantage of his size and ability on an every play basis.

I wouldn't say its a lack of confidence but that second part could be hitting the nail right on the head. For years he's probably been the guy on every team he played for before coming to Boston but now he's going up against the best athletes in the world whose teams are gameplanning to stop him foremost in every single game.

I know I've said this numerous times but the Celtics have been grooming him to be the guy since he came into the league. Basketball-wise he can do it all but does he have that drive that so many other real superstars have? I think he does but its just not fully developed yet.
    We just saw it late in G6 then all of G7 so we know its in there.

It's in him, just needs to come out.

@thisistheshow said:
    It's in him, just needs to come out.

That would make for one hell of an ending to an NBA playoff game, I just feel bad for the poor sap that gets tasked to clean it up. 😎

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't believe that 3rd quarter....................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2023 12:51PM

Regarding the video clip of the chest burst scene from the original Alien movie, I understand that the actors (other than John Hurt [who was definitely "hurt" :sB) when the critter burst out of his torso]) were not told anything about what would happen during that scene.

As a result, the reactions of the other actors (some of which can be seen in the video clip) are authentic, original, unscripted and show their visceral reactions.

In other words these other actors were definitely "NOT ACTING" during the chest burst scene.

@Steven59 said:
    I couldn't believe that 3rd quarter....................

LoL it wasn't even the entire 2nd half, just that 3rd quarter.

Here's a pretty eerie comparison:
    2021 Boston lost G1 of the ECF to Miami where they outscored the Heat in quarters 1,2 & 4. They gave up 39 points in the 3rd quarter.

2022 Boston lost G1 of the ECF to Miami where they outscored the Heat in quarters 1,2 & 4. They gave up 46 points in the 3rd quarter.

Boston won that 2021 series and I'm still sticking with them to win this one. 😉

edited May 18, 2023 3:31PM

i didn't phrase my initial question the way i wanted to this morning, but in my defense it's because work was interfering with my thought process. what i meant to say was,

to the point of it preventing him from possessing a killer mentality CONSISTENTLY?

the thing that would drive me nuts as a C's fan is Tatum showing glimpses of being that guy, then turning around and performing a disappearing act at very crucial junctures the following game. if i had been him after what he did in the 4th of G6 and all of G7 against the Sixers, i would've felt invincible heading into the Heat series. you could have punctured my skin and hubris would have been oozing out. i'm sick of hearing about Butler, give me the f'ing ball, no f'ing way are we going to get off on the wrong foot at home against this team that's inferior to us. oh, the Heat are making a push in the 3rd? hold my beer Jimmy B and give me the f'ing ball because i'm about to make a play. oh they've come all the way back and now it's crunch time in the 4th? give me the f'ing ball because this pop tarts is not going to happen again on my watch.

Tatum has a superstar skill set. it just needs to come out more often. one of the things i loved so much about MJ is that the guy was probably not only the most competitive hooper ever, but he hated losing so much that he borderline became enraged out there. he not only wanted to beat teams, he wanted to humiliate them. straight up playing angry. i was a fairly diehard Bulls fan in his early years and so many times i saw him strapping his team on his back and willing them to victory. he seriously played with an "f you" mentality. EXTREME fire in his belly.

Tatum needs that fire. call time out and remind him of what he did in the 4th of G6 and all of G7 if that's what takes. it's like the guy forgets what a total badass he can be. hence my question about him being too nice. like Coach Pop famously uttered during a timeout of a Spurs game, "GIVE ME SOME NASTY, TATUM."

@SanctionII said:
    Regarding the video clip of the chest burst scene from the original Alien movie, I understand that the actors (other than John Hurt [who was definitely "hurt" :sB) when the critter burst out of his torso] were not told anything about what would happen during that scene.

As a result, the reactions of the other actors (some of which can be seen in the video clip) are authentic, original, unscripted and show their visceral reactions.

In other words these other actors were definitely "NOT ACTING" during the chest burst scene.

That's a cool nugget of info. I like things like that.

@galaxy27 While I do agree with most of your assessment on Tatum including wanting to see him just flip that switch permanently to become master of his universe, not everyone is that guy right from the start.
    You want him to become MJ after I just spent months convincing the Little Toe that he's not Larry Bird lol,those are two very special players that are on their own level of greatness. Expecting any player to play like they did is setting yourself up for disappointment when they don't.

Tatum constantly gets compared to Jimmy Butler as to what he's missing from his game but everyone forgets that Butler is 8yrs older and he wasn't even that guy until getting to Miami. I don't know if you read my last comment in this other Celtics thread but its about Butler and his "killer instinct."
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090748/celtics-choke-it-up-again#latest
    Butler & Wade had a 2-0 series lead after winning the first two games in Boston, then they went on to lose the next four games in a row where 3 of them were on their own homecourt. Butler was 27 at the time and It took years before Jimmy Butler became Jimmy Buckets and he was playing for his 4th team when it happened.

Tatum has that Nasty in him, he just needs to learn how to not shy away in certain moments. He's still young though,25, and I honestly believe he'll get there. I don't put that loss entirely on him though. Foremost the C's got away from who they are as a team in this game and lost one quarter so badly because of their lack of defense, it was enough to put them in a 0-1 hole.

UGH another comment that went poof!
    @galaxy27 While I do agree with most of your assessment on Tatum including wanting to see him just flip that switch permanently to become master of his universe, not everyone is that guy right from the start.
    You want him to become MJ after I just spent months convincing the Little Toe that he's not Larry Bird lol,those are two very special players that are on their own level of greatness. Expecting any player to play like they did is setting yourself up for disappointment when they don't.

Tatum constantly gets compared to Jimmy Butler as to what he's missing from his game but everyone forgets that Butler is 8yrs older and he wasn't even that guy until getting to Miami. I don't know if you read my last comment in this other Celtics thread but its about Butler and his "killer instinct."
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090748/celtics-choke-it-up-again#latest
    Butler & Wade had a 2-0 series lead after winning the first two games in Boston, then they went on to lose the next four games in a row where 3 of them were on their own homecourt. Butler was 27 at the time and It took years before Jimmy Butler became Jimmy Buckets and he was playing for his 4th team when it happened.

Tatum has that Nasty in him, he just needs to learn how to not shy away in certain moments. He's still young though,25, and I honestly believe he'll get there. I don't put that loss entirely on him though. Foremost the C's got away from who they are as a team in this game and lost one quarter so badly because of their lack of defense, it was enough to put them in a 0-1 hole.

@thisistheshow said:

Hey @galaxy27 , maybe you think the Celtics look like they are going to lose this series?...if so, I might have an av wager that could spring you from that 'L'...(or keep you locked up in it until NFL training camp). Let me know.

Should I take your LOL as a 'no' or do you want to talk about this?

edited May 19, 2023 8:35AM

Lebron is lucky he didn't whack his head on the rim during that fake-dunk-pass to the guy in the 3rd row. 😎

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭

Halftime Lakers 53 - Nuggets 48

End of 3 Lakers 79 - Nuggets 76

edited May 18, 2023 7:37PM

@erikthredd said:

i was speaking to Jordan's mentality; not in my most inebriated state would i expect Tatum to play like him

last night in the 4th i dont think he registered a single shot and turned the ball over 3 times over a span of 4 possessions.................i saw a lot of indecisiveness, a lot of deferring, a lot of -- to steal your phrase -- shying away

that's simply inexcusable for a player of his caliber

i'm critical of the guy not because i think he sucks, rather i think the only thing that's keeping him from ascending to the next lofty level is...............himself

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

i was speaking to Jordan's mentality; not in my most inebriated state would i expect Tatum to play like him

last night in the 4th i dont think he registered a single shot and turned the ball over 3 times over a span of 4 possessions.................i saw a lot of indecisiveness, a lot of deferring, a lot of -- to steal your phrase -- shying away

that's simply inexcusable for a player of his caliber

i'm critical of the guy not because i think he sucks, rather i think the only thing that's keeping him from ascending to the next lofty level is...............himself

Yup,I agree with all of that. He'll get there eventually,the only question is how long will it take?

@galaxy27 said:

I figured out who that white cat that Boston needs is, its center Luke Kornet the former Villanova Wildcat lol. 😎

This run by Denver where they took over the game has been great,time to finish them off now.

on another note, i think i'm going to be forced to file a restraining order on the dude who keeps harassing me with avatar bet proposals

i have a worthless bodyguard who is out chasing tail

Great win by Denver. They've been the most consistent team in the playoffs and have to be the favorite to win it all right now.
    The Lakers on the other hand blew an 11pt 3rd quarter lead,if only Lebron & AD had that killer Instinct to close out the game they'd be heading home tied at 1-1. 😉

@galaxy27 said:
    on another note, i think i'm going to be forced to file a restraining order on the dude who keeps harassing me with avatar bet proposals

i have a worthless bodyguard who is out chasing tail

The only tail that Yosemite Sam is chasing is Bugs Bunny's.

Nuggets win 108 Lakers 103

@erikthredd said:
    Great win by Denver. They've been the most consistent team in the playoffs and have to be the favorite to win it all right now.
    The Lakers on the other hand blew an 11pt 3rd quarter lead,if only Lebron & AD had that killer Instinct to close out the game they'd be heading home tied at 1-1. 😉

After we vanquish the Heat, we will embrace the underdog mentality and rise up...high enough to secure banner number eighteen. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

edited May 19, 2023 3:14AM

My buddies theory that

"The NBA wants Celts vs LA so the refs will make it happen"

is not looking too good lol

@perkdog said:
    My buddies theory that

I was telling a few people the same thing, but I couched it with the fact that the Nuggets are so good that they will be in the finals anyway. And it's not just that the Nuggets are so good, it's that the Lakers are not getting a consistent Anthony Davis. These two things combined mean that it will be Nuggets. I'm sticking with Denver in 5. We'll see

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    My buddies theory that

I was telling a few people the same thing, but I couched it with the fact that the Nuggets are so good that they will be in the finals anyway. And it's not just that the Nuggets are so good, it's that the Lakers are not getting a consistent Anthony Davis. These two things combined mean that it will be Nuggets. I'm sticking with Denver in 5. We'll see

Lebron going 0-6 on 3's didn't help much

Jokic is a BOARD BEAST

Yup, these playoffs LeBron is shooting historically bad from 3 in the 4th

@perkdog said:
    My buddies theory that

Those refs sure tried making it happen last night where Denver had 3 players (2 who were starters) in foul trouble in the first 6 minutes of the game. With that happening the Nuggets weren't going to get off to another great start like they did in G1 where they scored 37 in the first quarter.
    The calls started to even out as the game went along but sometimes when you see one team have multiple players in foul trouble that early in a game, it definitely can be viewed as conspiracy time.

After typing out that last comment I was wondering how much NBA refs make for playoff games and do they get paid per game or if its just a straight up contract.
    Most of the better refs (i'm assuming the most experienced) go from 7K/g during the season to 9K/g for rounds 1&2 of the playoffs.
    Then for the conference finals and Finals they'll get paid 25K/g so its almost in the best interest of the collective group of refs still calling games to drag out a series as long as possible. Every extra game played after G4 of a series is more earnings for
    the refs in that game.
    I absolutely believe that Scott Foster does this type of thing. He has a history of ref'ing games where the team down in the series usually wins that game. He'll blow the whistle for something very minor then let something so egregious go on the other end.

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    My buddies theory that

Lebron going 0-6 on 3's didn't help much

Jokic is a BOARD BEAST

I'm not saying its intentional but watch him take a shot in the paint or grab an offensive board then go to put it back in. Sometimes he'll miss and try tipping it back in then miss again. He'll do this 3-4 times on one offensive possession alone and wrack up a bunch of offensive rebounds lol but he's a definitely a Board Beast and arguably the best passing big man ever. All while playing at a semi-slow game speed which makes it all even more entertaining.

@erikthredd said:

😉😎😉😎😉

He went for the "look at me" dunk instead of laying it in. That kind of thing used to be more reserved for times...not game 2, feels like a must win.

And people might respond that players do it all of the time, maybe he's just getting there, it slipped, etc. It doesn't matter. When players played with a different mentality, that wouldn't have been the time to do that.

If Harden leaves after there were rumors that he was behind Doc getting fired,I'd be pretty po'd if I were Embiid. It might not be long before he decides he wants out himself.
    There's speculation that Harden wants to head back to Houston who would have roughly 61M in cap space. They could sign James then add a second star/semi-star or multiple role players.

edited May 19, 2023 4:30PM

So Harden declines his 35.6 Million$ option? At least in Philly he was able to go on "vacation" after the 2nd playoff round. He didn't have to "Bust his ass" playing all the way to the finals.

@Steven59 said:
    So Harden declines his 35.6 Million$ option? At least in Philly he was able to go on "vacation" after the 2nd playoff round. He didn't have to "Bust his ass" playing all the way to the finals.

He may decline it if the Rockets offer him a 4yr 140/150M deal. From all of the different articles I saw about him earlier its looking more & more like he wants out.

Another close game - Boston just let heat go on a 19-2 run to take the lead.............

@Steven59 said:
    Another close game - Boston just let heat go on a 19-2 run to take the lead.............

Thanks for reminding me. 😂

@Steven59 said:

It happens. This was the type of game I was expecting with both teams going back & forth with their runs, Boston just can't let Miami go off for another 46 in this 3rd.