Home Sports Talk

2023 NBA playoffs will be starting soon.

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd

yeah, the 'insanity' part wasn't the package, it was the thought of SA moving him. Pop hasn't gone to hell and back for Chet Holmgren lol.

last i checked, San Antonio doesn't create dynasties for other teams. in a few years they'll be back on top in the West with their new stud big man..........that's just what they do

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

yeah, the 'insanity' part wasn't the package, it was the thought of SA moving him. Pop hasn't gone to hell and back for Chet Holmgren lol.

last i checked, San Antonio doesn't create dynasties for other teams. in a few years they'll be back on top in the West with their new stud big man..........that's just what they do

Agreed and to throw another insane trade proposal out there, watch Pop & the Spurs find a way to steal Luka from the Mavs. Unfortunately for my homie,the little Toe, that looks like a marriage headed for a breakup real soon,imo. Luka & Wemby could be this era's Magic/Kareem or Kobe/Shaq.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm not looking ahead. Game 6.

So with Charlie not dropping in to give us another pregame greeting thinking that if he stayed out it would reverse all of the good karma Boston gained after the previous win,does he now have to come back before game 6 to reverse his previous reverse?
    😂😉🤣
    I'm feeling that he set into motion a sequence of events that is now completely out of his control with Boston gaining their confidence back. 😎

Sorry to disappoint you Boston fans but I'm a bit out-of-sorts today. Last night I learned of the passing of one of my childhood friends (massive heart attack -- a seemingly healthy guy). Gimme a little bit of time and I'll bounce back to annoy you Boston fans. ;-)

I did watch highlights of last night's Boston win. QUESTION: Whaddahell is that mid-court image -- is it a depiction of one of the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz?

Sorry to hear about your friend.

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:
    C's blasting out of the gate

Tatum possessing the F YOU mentality i mentioned before

He has It he just needs to learn how to access it at will which should happen as he matures. He's played 6 seasons but he's still fairly young for NBA standards at 25 yet he's already accomplished so much by that age.

I know most commenters here don't watch many of the Celtics regular season games but in recent years Tatum has been part of many lists where he was top 5-10 in history reaching a certain milestone by a certain age. Here's one off the top of my head: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-made-three-pointers-in-nba-before-turning-24 but there 's been numerous others as well. Not to mention the first Celtics player in history to average 30ppg. Most C's fans have seen his growth as a player and have no worries that he'll eventually find his FU mode soon enough,

if anyone is wondering what i mean by an f you mentality, it's this

he sent this message to the Heat in the early minutes of last night's game and that's when i posted what i did

no-nonsense aggressiveness/i refuse to be stopped/i'm going thru every one of you mf'ers on my way to the cup and there's nothing you can do about it/this is what you can look forward to all game long..............mentality

https://youtube.com/shorts/bGLar3bNRpY?feature=share

@charliej2356 said:

Sorry to disappoint you Boston fans but I'm a bit out-of-sorts today. Last night I learned of the passing of one of my childhood friends (massive heart attack -- a seemingly healthy guy). Gimme a little bit of time and I'll bounce back to annoy you Boston fans. ;-)

My condolences to you on losing your friend. I've lost a couple in recent years along with some close family members and it really sucks.
    Cmon in and interact with us more,you'll see that not all of us Boston fans are just a bunch of Massholes. 😉

I did watch highlights of last night's Boston win. QUESTION: Whaddahell is that mid-court image -- is it a depiction of one of the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz?

Who,this guy? 😎

true story o' the day

i spoke with a woman (in person) and when she finished talking i said, "what part of Massachusetts are you originally from? Boston area?"

"how did you know?"

i pointed to my mouth and smiled

i assume some of you have similar accents, which i happen to like btw

she did NOT sound like this

https://youtube.com/shorts/v6cV9Vw4lxI?feature=share

@galaxy27 said:
    true story o' the day

i spoke with a woman (in person) and when she finished talking i said, "what part of Massachusetts are you originally from? Boston area?"

"how did you know?"

i pointed to my mouth and smiled

i assume some of you have similar accents, which i happen to like btw

she did NOT sound like this

https://youtube.com/shorts/v6cV9Vw4lxI?feature=share

Luckily for me my accent comes with its own unique nasally tone to it lol.

Just an FYI for those of you that weren't fortunate enough to be born in the best part of this country 😉when someone says they're from Boston and uses any of the words wicked,chowda or anything to do with the Boston Tea Party they're officially full of crap.
    Although we do tend to turn every single word with an R into AH. It has something to do with drinking the water here for some reason and by water I do mean a bottle of Sam Adams. 😂

Accents are interesting. And they vary quite a bit within regions. Not everyone with a Boston accent has the Boston accent.

I've always been interested in language, and accents too. Expressions. How things vary by region, by state, by country. How things translate or don't translate.

My interest in this started small, I presume. I grew up in Massachusetts. Even living there I could hear the different extremities of the accent.

I first ventured elsewhere in college. Pennsylvania. Then later I was in NYC. In NYC people asked me if I was Boston. By the time I left NYC I had definitely picked up some of that NY accent. The amount of expressions, idioms, sayings, that are regional can be surprising. Colloquialisms, etc.

My wife is from Brazil, where they speak Portuguese. I can barely hear her accent, as she has mostly spoken English for all of these years. Other than when she is teaching Spanish. I do sometimes find myself having fun conversations with her about language. Particularly expressions. When I was first married to her I was cognizant of expressions, either not using one in an important situation (knowing it would not make sense) or pointing them out in movies, etc.

But we were talking about accents, so, I digress ...

When I go back to Massachusetts, people are definitely weary of my accent. Lol.

In Texas, people know I am not from here, but my family in Massachusetts can hear my Texas accent.

When I moved to Texas, I interacted, face to face, with people from New Orleans who wanted to know "what parish I was from".

I've spoken to people on the phone who have been surprised that I am not Hispanic when they meet me.

I've been asked if I'm from a different country.

I think moving around, being with my wife, and having lived seven years in the Bronx as well as working around people from many backgrounds has turned my accent into a bit of an acoustic hologram.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow s accent is every male cartoon character that has ever appeared on King of the Hill all wrapped into one voice! ;)

edited May 27, 2023 9:06AM

things that make you go hmm

and darin wonders why I'm inherently distrustful of nba officiating :D

it's a damn shame that Eric Lewis isn't part of tonight's crew 😅

https://basketballforever.com/2023/05/26/nba-referees-reported-burner-account-on-twitter-under-review

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077407-nba-reportedly-opens-investigation-into-twitter-activity-about-referee-eric-lewis

Dude got busted but its just for owning a fake twitter account and not really anything game related. I wouldn't put him in the same category as this fool,who's shadiness with Tim Donaghy should have had him out of the league years ago. Finally seeing a player run right thru him last week was long overdue. 👍

I just realised that Lewis was the ref that didn't blow the whistle when Lebron got fouled by Tatum in that Lakers loss at Boston earlier in the season. Maybe Lebron needs to take him down in the future like he did to Scott Foster above. 😎

edited May 27, 2023 10:54AM

@erikthredd said:

I just realised that Lewis was the ref that didn't blow the whistle when Lebron got fouled by Tatum in that Lakers loss at Boston earlier in the season

yep

there may be something nefarious going on, or perhaps not. remains to be seen, pending the "internal investigation" :D that was launched. but one thing is certain: if there is any hint of impropriety in the year 2023, there will be super loser sleuths unearthing info that otherwise would remain buried.

like the C's 21-3 record when he calls their games, as well as pictures of him and his entire family wearing Celtics jerseys

i was not joking when i said i wish he was part of the crew tonight. whatever it takes to get the dub baby! :D

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

I just realised that Lewis was the ref that didn't blow the whistle when Lebron got fouled by Tatum in that Lakers loss at Boston earlier in the season

yep

there may be something nefarious going on, or perhaps not. remains to be seen, pending the "internal investigation" :D that was launched. but one thing is certain: if there is any hint of impropriety in the year 2023, there will be super loser sleuths unearthing info that otherwise would remain buried.

like the C's 21-3 record when he calls their games, as well as pictures of him and his entire family wearing Celtics jerseys

i was not joking when i said i wish he was part of the crew tonight. whatever it takes to get the dub baby! :D

I'd rather have him calling tonight's game over Zach Zarba anyday. I don't know their exact record with ZZ doing their games but I do know that he's had it out with Tatum in the past.

I agree with your comment above about the officiating in the NBA being so mistrustful. I get that most of the time its a bang-bang play and they need to decide which way to go pretty quickly but watching how they'll call games on one end while not doing the same on the other is just brutal at times. Add in the fact that there was a former ref caught up in a huge gambling scandal and there's always going to be mistrust there.

I also agree with Jeff van Gundy's idea that he threw out there late in G5,on review calls just let the people back at the review center make that final decision. They'd probably have multiple people looking at the play in question from every angle that was filmed and it would remove any type of bias from that particular ref calling the game.
    I'd also give teams two challenges per game,one per half. Most coaches tend to hold onto that one that they get until late in the game but having a 2nd one that could be used earlier could be very helpful. Adding an extra 5-8 mins of real time to a game isn't that big of a deal,imo.

Milwaukee is hiring Adrian Griffin to be their new HC,he was the top assistant behind Nick Nurse in Toronto for the past 4 years. How long before the Bucks trade for Adian Griffin Jr who just finished out his rookie season for the Hawks?

I've been avoiding most NBA/Celtics talk. I don't know why, but I feel more confident by not getting too into it.

Game 5 was great, don't get me wrong, but while I was watching it I was thinking about our struggles, deficiencies, and I was getting a little nervous about us having any chance in the Finals. So I tried to cast those thoughts aside and just stick with the plan of being game to game. Lol

edited May 27, 2023 1:19PM

Game 6 tonight is the real deal. Celtics in Miami. Beside hoping your team is in the Finals, this is the kind of game, as a fan, you want. It has the makings of being an epic high of emotions, or an extreme 🤬.

Hey @Hydrant , you might find this...

Just now I sent a message to my cousin in Massachusetts, to ask him if he'll be watching the game tonight. Check out his response.

In all fairness that might have been some default response that his phone offered him to choose if he felt so inclined.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Hey @Hydrant , you might find this...

Just now I sent a message to my cousin in Massachusetts, to ask him if he'll be watching the game tonight. Check out his response.

Hey, wait a minute..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

What a finish! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some of DD's baby beard hair coloring from that other thread after that second half gave me a few more grey hairs lol. What a putback by D White!

I see that the leprechauns were shipped down to Miami for this one.

@thisistheshow said:
    I see that the leprechauns were shipped down to Miami for this one.

Who,this one? He was definitely there. 😉👍

eotd, sports are not life and death. the sun will come up tomorrow and we'll all open our eyes, God willing

but I'm here to tell you that if Boston had blown that game, after I was done puking I would have felt as badly as I possibly could for anyone here who is a fan of a team

I'm not even a C's fan and that team has aged me 15 years this season

UNFREAKINGREAL THAT GAME

@galaxy27 said:
    eotd, sports are not life and death. the sun will come up tomorrow and we'll all open our eyes, God willing

but I'm here to tell you that if Boston had blown that game, after I was done puking I would have felt as badly as I possibly could for anyone here who is a fan of a team

UNFREAKINGREAL THAT GAME

It was a wild ride (I'm talking about this game, particularly the ending). You highlighted the important things.

WOW!!!!!

@galaxy27 said:

UNFREAKINGREAL THAT GAME

HA! Welcome to our world lol. It certainly looked like Butler was going to steal the win right at the last second, especially after promising a win for two straight games. So glad that claim never happened.

This game was alot like how most of the 2021-22 ECF series between these two went. A slowed down muckity type of game where neither team can breakout to a huge lead so its small back & forth runs until some takes it at the end.

We could nitpick playsers on both sides but I'm just going to point out that final play where White is the inbounder and Strus decides to faceaway from him to help whoever needs it. That decision allowed White to get the ball in then beeline straight to the rim for the putback.

I can't wait for monday night! I'm just hoping G7-Tatum shows up with our shooters right behind him..
    I live roughly 30mins from the TD Garden and if I can't feel the arena rocking that night being miles & miles away, I'm gonna disown my entire fanbase.

I believe after the game Spoelstra said that he drew that up exactly that way, with Strus going over to double ...I believe ..Tatum.

I don't know if he said that to take the heat off if Strus.

@thisistheshow said:
    I believe after the game Spoelstra said that he drew that up exactly that way, with Strus going over to double ...I believe ..Tatum.

I don't know if he said that to take the heat off if Strus.

To Strus credit, he did get back and tried chasing after White but at that point it was too late.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2022 Celtics will be in the same conversations as the 2004 Sox if they pull this off.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing finish to Game 6.

One tenth of a second less on the game clock and Miami would be in the Finals.

Instead we have game 7 in Boston.

@SanctionII said:
    An amazing finish to Game 6.

One tenth of a second less on the game clock and Miami would be in the Finals.

Instead we have game 7 in Boston.

And there is ZERO chance Boston loses game 7

😉

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on Perkdog's ability to accurately predict the future everyone should place a bet on the Celtics to win game 7.

@perkdog said:
    The 2022 Celtics will be in the same conversations as the 2004 Sox if they pull this off.

Yup,that White putback could be viewed as the Dave Roberts moment from this series. Now they just need to finish them off.

@erikthredd said:

Yup,that White putback could be viewed as the Dave Roberts moment from this series. Now they just need to finish them off.

the Dave Roberts moment for me was being down 0-3 in the series and down 9 points with 9:30 left in the 3rd in G4. then the stolen base happened.

just want to warn my friends who are C's fans and are currently on a crack high......do not lose sight of how enigmatic your team is. I do not foresee a blowout tomorrow and I would not at all be surprised if Miami jumped out on top 8-10 points. I expect them to fight like a rabid dog that has been cornered, so I sure hope that Mazulla reminds those guys over and over again that the series did not end last night.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the Celtice - on the verge of making NBA playoff history!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

the Dave Roberts moment for me was being down 0-3 in the series and down 9 points with 9:30 left in the 3rd in G4. then the stolen base happened.

I meant it as the memorable moment from that series. Ortiz hit some momentous home runs in that series but,up here,its that Roberts steal that usually gets the most love.

just want to warn my friends who are C's fans and are currently on a crack high......do not lose sight of how enigmatic your team is.

How can anyone who follows this team on a regular basis not always have that in the back of their mind? lol
    Trust me, we know. 😉

I'm not worried about the Celtics players somehow forgetting that there's still one more game to go in this series. They've just won three straight elimination games,they know whats up.
    Heck the players have been in this sitaution more than the coach has,maybe they should be reminding him. 😎

edited May 28, 2023 11:51AM

I'm sure @perkdog can attest to, understand and appreciate what im about to say. not to derail this thread with degenerative gambling talk, but there are rare times when you feel like you've entered a zone with your thought processes. I have watched enough of the roller coaster ride which is the Boston Celtics 2022-2023 season to now have a pretty good feel of when the unexpected is about to happen.....or damn-near does. hence me tossing some scratch on them down 1-3 in the series and feeling good about it, as well as this story....

prior to last night's game I felt cautiously optimistic about Boston's chances of going into Miami and taking G6. but if they didn't pull it off, my mind conjured up a scenario where it would most likely be because they blew another double-digit lead in the 4th.

so when they went up 10 with 4 minutes left, I wasn't counting my chickens.......I was 💩 in my pants. so much so that I turned the TV off, opened up ESPN gamecast on my phone, covered up Boston's score with a piece of paper, then started pacing around like a Tiger stalking its prey saying "don't do it, don't do it." every half-minute or so I'd walk back to my phone and take a look.

Miami's score got higher every time.

I went from saying "don't do it" to "it's about to happen." next thing I knew, Miami's number was 113 and I pulled the paper back to see Boston's at 112 with 2 seconds left.

words can't express how close I came to blowing a hole thru my wall with my phone.

I didn't even see the game-winning putback live. I only saw the score about 10 minutes after a thorough decompression job. when I saw 114-113 it was like I was staring at the ghost of Bill Russell. then when I saw how it happened it was like I was staring at the ghost of Red Auerbach with a stogie dangling from his piehole and a 💩-eating grin on his face.

since that moderate miracle happened I've thought long and hard about tomorrow night's game. in addition to my own thoughts, I've done a ton of reading. ive read countless tweets and articles, many of which are from Boston fans and Boston/Massachusetts/NE-area articles. it's scaring me how overconfident these peeps are. basically the series is already over in the minds of many of them. it's like they have no earthly idea how unpredictable their own team can be.

I said up above that I think Miami will have an avalanche of pressure that ultimately buries them, but I always reserve the right to change my mind and I have. I honestly think they will come out loose and throwing hands. they may get knocked out, but I fully expect them to try with all their power to knock Boston out first. so if anyone thinks the outcome of this series is a foregone conclusion, my often worthless yet occasionally valuable advice is to cool your Jets.

I personally expect a brawl, but it's ultimately up to Boston to decide who the victor is.

edited May 28, 2023 11:52AM

(Boston wins)

@galaxy27 said:
    I'm sure @perkdog can attest to, understand and appreciate what im about to say. not to derail this thread with degenerative gambling talk, but there are rare times when you feel like you've entered a zone with your thought processes. I have watched enough of the roller coaster ride which is the Boston Celtics 2022-2023 season to now have a pretty good feel of when the unexpected is about to happen.....or damn-near does. hence me tossing some scratch on them down 1-3 in the series and feeling good about it, as well as this story....

prior to last night's game I felt cautiously optimistic about Boston's chances of going into Miami and taking G6. but if they didn't pull it off, my mind conjured up a scenario where it would most likely be because they blew another double-digit lead in the 4th.

so when they went up 10 with 4 minutes left, I wasn't counting my chickens.......I was 💩 in my pants. so much so that I turned the TV off, opened up ESPN gamecast on my phone, covered up Boston's score with a piece of paper, then started pacing around like a Tiger stalking its prey saying "don't do it, don't do it." every half-minute or so I'd walk back to my phone and take a look.

Miami's score got higher every time.

I went from saying "don't do it" to "it's about to happen." next thing I knew, Miami's number was 113 and I pulled the paper back to see Boston's at 112 with 2 seconds left.

words can't express how close I came to blowing a hole thru my wall with my phone.

I didn't even see the game-winning putback live. I only saw the score about 10 minutes after a thorough decompression job. when I saw 114-113 it was like I was staring at the ghost of Bill Russell. then when I saw how it happened it was like I was staring at the ghost of Red Auerbach with a stogie dangling from his piehole and a 💩-eating grin on his face.

since that moderate miracle happened I've thought long and hard about tomorrow night's game. in addition to my own thoughts, I've done a ton of reading. ive read countless tweets and articles, many of which are from Boston fans and Boston/Massachusetts/NE-area articles. it's scaring me how overconfident these peeps are. basically the series is already over in the minds of many of them. it's like they have no earthly idea how unpredictable their own team can be.

I said up above that I think Miami will have an avalanche of pressure that ultimately buries them, but I always reserve the right to change my mind and I have. I honestly think they will come out loose and throwing hands. they may get knocked out, but I fully expect them to try with all their power to knock Boston out first. so if anyone thinks the outcome of this series is a foregone conclusion, my often worthless yet occasionally valuable advice is to cool your Jets.

I personally expect a brawl, but it's ultimately up to Boston to decide who the victor is.

You spelled it out as accurate as anyone ever could good sir 🍻

@galaxy27 said:

I've pointed this out to TheShow numerous times in recent months but that the roller coaster feeling watching Boston is never going away. They're going to blow leads at some point in future games while looking unstoppable in others, no team is perfect and Boston surely isn't going undefeated anytime soon. What we've seen in the past is going to happen again and again,as it does with every contending team.

The thing that gets me here though is no one ever wants to talk about the opposing team blowing leads and their best players playing like crap. Miami is on the verge of becoming the first team ever to blow a 3-0 series lead and rather than talking about that we're talking about Boston almost losing the game that they won lol .

Had Miami won last night, Jimmy Butler would be getting all of the praise in the world right now even though he spent most of that game looking shook on offense. He has 3" & roughly 40lbs on Derrick White yet how many times did he drive to about 5-6 feet from the basket then pass it out?
    He made some plays late (even though it looked like he double dribbled a second before Horford fouled him on his three attempt) but he had arguably his worst shooting game in these playoffs,going 5-21. Bam has been horrible during those three straight losses as well scoring just 10,16 & 11pts.

How about Butler guaranteeing wins in b2b games and losing both. In most of the postgame interviews since G4 jimmy,Spo & Bam have been extremely arrogant & cocky yet haven't backed up any of their bravado. God only knows who is winning G7 but regardless those three deserve much of the blame for Miami letting it get to this point.

I can't cofirm or deny this but what I've read since last night,some guys who gamble on games daily over on the BO forum
    are saying Vegas made a huge killing on last night's game. I'm not a gambler so I honestly don't know the intricacies of the many different ways to wager on games but from what i've read,apparently Vegas won about 98% of bets made on this game. Who knows if that is true or not but good for you coming out on top...even if it cost a few more grey hairs lol.

Since you're betting on Boston to win I'd like to welcome you to the club,your Green Teamer fancard should be in the mail. 😎

I can honestly say that outside of one tongue in cheek comment about winning four straight then beating Denver I haven't looked ahead at all and even then,I added a smiley to show I was being facetious there. That being said,fans are gonna fan regardless of the team name on the front of the jersey.

I expect G7 to be similar to this last game. Both sides attempting to take out the other team's top two stars.
    Defense getting played at a high level which likely means those top stars having bad games from a FG percentage angle. The role players or Other Guys as Shaq likes to call them making enough plays to keep their team in it until the stars take over, if they take over at all.

I do know one thing though,with tomorrow being a holiday and many fans likely having some type of family cookout scheduled, by the time this game gets started those fans heading to the game are probably going be pretty lubed up by tipoff lol. I expect an extremely raucous crowd at the Garden for this game. 👍
    It would be a great time for G7 Tatum to make an appearence.

@galaxy27 prior to last night's game I felt cautiously optimistic about Boston's chances of going into Miami and taking G6. but if they didn't pull it off, my mind conjured up a scenario where it would most likely be because they blew another double-digit lead in the 4th.

I've pointed this out to TheShow numerous times in recent months but that the roller coaster feeling watching Boston is never going away. They're going to blow leads at some point in future games while looking unstoppable in others, no team is perfect and Boston surely isn't going undefeated anytime soon. What we've seen in the past is going to happen again and again,as it does with every contending team.

The thing that gets me here though is no one ever wants to talk about the opposing team blowing leads and their best players playing like crap. Miami is on the verge of becoming the first team ever to blow a 3-0 series lead and rather than talking about that we're talking about Boston almost losing the game that they won lol .

Had Miami won last night, Jimmy Butler would be getting all of the praise in the world right now even though he spent most of that game looking shook on offense. He has 3" & roughly 40lbs on Derrick White yet how many times did he drive to about 5-6 feet from the basket then pass it out?
    He made some plays late (even though it looked like he double dribbled a second before Horford fouled him on his three attempt) but he had arguably his worst shooting game in these playoffs,going 5-21. Bam has been horrible during those three straight losses as well scoring just 10,16 & 11pts.

How about Butler guaranteeing wins in b2b games and losing both. In most of the postgame interviews since G4 jimmy,Spo & Bam have been extremely arrogant & cocky yet haven't backed up any of their bravado. God only knows who is winning G7 but regardless those three deserve much of the blame for Miami letting it get to this point.

I can't cofirm or deny this but what I've read since last night,some guys who gamble on games daily over on the BO forum
    are saying Vegas made a huge killing on last night's game. I'm not a gambler so I honestly don't know the intricacies of the many different ways to wager on games but from what i've read,apparently Vegas won about 98% of bets made on this game. Who knows if that is true or not but good for you coming out on top...even if it cost a few more grey hairs lol.

Since you're betting on Boston to win I'd like to welcome you to the club,your Green Teamer fancard should be in the mail. 😎

I can honestly say that outside of one tongue in cheek comment about winning four straight then beating Denver I haven't looked ahead at all and even then,I added a smiley to show I was being facetious there. That being said,fans are gonna fan regardless of the team name on the front of the jersey.

I expect G7 to be similar to this last game. Both sides attempting to take out the other team's top two stars.
    Defense getting played at a high level which likely means those top stars having bad games from a FG percentage angle. The role players or Other Guys as Shaq likes to call them making enough plays to keep their team in it until the stars take over, if they take over at all.

I do know one thing though,with tomorrow being a holiday and many fans likely having some type of family cookout scheduled, by the time this game gets started those fans heading to the game are probably going be pretty lubed up by tipoff lol. I expect an extremely raucous crowd at the Garden for this game. 👍
    It would be a great time for G7 Tatum to make an appearence.

A few thoughts and observations...

@galaxy27 your observation that Celtics nation is overly confident in no way reflects on the team, nor does it reflect on many fans who are still just cautiously optimistic. They are just the most vocal and visual. Watching Jayson Tatum last night speaking right after the game, then seeing video of him interacting with Jaylen Brown in the locker room, I have no doubt that they are taking it one game at a time. Why? Because they did it and it worked. They've seen it happen.

One huge positive hiccup to this series has been Coach Mazzulla's new found ability to properly use timeouts. Myself and many others were begging him to get this aspect of his coaching together, and we all saw it pay huge dividends.

The way things go at the end of the game changes how we remember and interpret comments and actions of players, fans, and coaches, etc. In other words, hindsight is 20/20. Or skewed through the glasses of win or defeat. As a Patriots/Tom Brady fan, I have often heard that the team and Brady were often just lucky. However, we know that luck is the residue of hard work and design.

With all of this Celtics Heat talk in this thread, the Nuggets have been left to the side a bit. Whichever team they face, it will be interesting to see how this layoff affects them. I spent some time reading through discussions among Nuggets fans , and they still feel confident, but definitely prefer the Heat.

@thisistheshow said:
    With all of this Celtics Heat talk in this thread, the Nuggets have been left to the side a bit. Whichever team they face, it will be interesting to see how this layoff affects them. I spent some time reading through discussions among Nuggets fans , and they still feel confident, but definitely prefer the Heat.

Regardless of who wins the ECF, the Nuggets should honestly be the clear favorite for winning the Finals even if Vegas says otherwise. They're pretty much at full health and have had plenty of time to rest up while the East winner will have gone through a grueling 7 game series.

Where the ECF teams have gone through this mental rollercoaster which saw both teams landing on both ends of the spectrum from the first three games to the next three, Denver hasn't had to deal with any of that. Like GS a year ago they'll come into the Finals ready to go.

I think the only real question for Denver heading into this last round is will they start it on the road in Boston or at home against Miami?

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Regardless of who wins the ECF, the Nuggets should honestly be the clear favorite for winning the Finals even if Vegas says otherwise. They're pretty much at full health and have had plenty of time to rest up while the East winner will have gone through a grueling 7 game series.

Where the ECF teams have gone through this mental rollercoaster which saw both teams landing on both ends of the spectrum from the first three games to the next three, Denver hasn't had to deal with any of that. Like GS a year ago they'll come into the Finals ready to go.

I think the only real question for Denver heading into this last round is will they start it on the road in Boston or at home against Miami?

No question Denver should be the favorite to win it all.

edited May 28, 2023 4:09PM

@erikthredd said:

because the expectations are vastly different. no one, including me, is harping on a potential 3-0 meltdown by Miami because no one, including the players' mommas, would have honestly predicted them having 4 cracks at a spot in the NBA Finals before the playoffs started. to this point, what they have accomplished has far exceeded what a normal, sane, sober person's bar of expections would be.

Boston, on the other hand, was the odds-on favorite to win it all heading into the playoffs. this is not a normal track record for such a team:

Game 5 against Atlanta.........13-point lead with 8:07 left in the 4th........loss
    Game 1 against Miami...........12-point lead with 10:55 left in the 3rd......loss
    Game 2 against Miami...........12-point lead with 10:35 left in the 4th......loss
    Game 6 against Miami...........10-point lead with 3:51 left in the 4th........minor miracle win

that's almost three times in one series where they were incapable of putting away a team that had no business mounting that many comebacks to begin with. if you're a title contender, that's unacceptable. when you have a duo like Brown and Tatum who are talented enough to thwart victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat attempts, that's unacceptable.

and that goes back to the Tatum mentality topic. when you're a stud, a true stud, you make plays when your team needs them. you become hyperaggressive and attack the rim. worst case scenario, you've got two cracks from the charity stripe. from my observation, there was no one on the floor for Boston who developed the f-you mentality i've spoken about to stop the bleeding in those games. almost as if they were looking around, waiting for a teammate to stem the tide. that is simply not good enough. Tatum is that guy............he's just gotta channel it.

i'd love nothing more than to see him out of his mind aggressive tomorrow night and put up a huge number. or better yet, if they're up double-digits in the 4th and start absorbing haymakers from Miami, take........the........effing.......game........over.

curious, did anyone here catch this little faux pas? I was avoiding my TV like a nut and missed it

I did not see that on the screen.

When it comes to Tatum, I know what you mean.