Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is Collective Coin now gone?

FrankHFrankH Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get this message if I try to open the site.

Don't know the "application owner" Is it Stacks Bowers?
This is/was a very handy site for keeping records with images and private data.

I hope this is temporary.

:/

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank, no one is quite sure yet. It's been down for about 10 days or more. Yes, Stack's recently purchased the site from what I understand

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a user of collective coin (.com) so I don't know about this integration thing mentioned in the following (last paragraph) or if it would have anything to do with the current issue. From Stacks website search. It would appear questions should maybe go to them.

https://stacksbowers.com/sbpressreleases/Stacks-Bowers-Acquires-CollectiveCoin-Website/

STACKS BOWERS GALLERIES ACQUIRES COLLECTIVECOIN.COM

Author: Stack's Bowers Galleries / February 28, 2017
    SANTA ANA, CA. (February 28, 2017)— Stack’s Bowers Galleries is pleased to announce it has acquired the interactive website CollectiveCoin.com.
    CollectiveCoin.com was started in 2014 by Matt Lenore and Nick Baum and is a leading tool for managing coin collections online, allowing collectors to publicly or privately view, manage and track their numismatic collections seamlessly across all devices. The website also has robust interactive social tools, allowing members to share their collections, to comment on individual coins or collections and to buy, sell and trade with other members.
    "One of our mission statements is to provide solutions for all our clients’ collecting needs," stated Brian Kendrella, company president. "Increasingly, collectors are looking for convenient technology solutions to manage and track their collections. We found no other technology that can offer this kind of utility for our clients and we look forward to expanding on its features and growing the member base."
    "With most collections these days stashed away in safe deposit boxes, collectors are eager to have digital records and manage and share online as the most convenient and safest way to enjoy their collections. I think it is a perfect match. Stack’s Bowers Galleries recognizes the benefits of CollectiveCoin.com and wants to expand the audience that truly enjoys the site’s benefits," remarked Matt Lenore, co-founder.
    The site has a tremendously loyal and committed user base and this base is expected to grow when CollectiveCoin.com is introduced to Stack’s Bowers Galleries’ worldwide users. "There are no immediate plans to change the site, but longer term we will integrate the site and its tools into StacksBowers.com, allowing users to seamlessly add all their SBG auction purchases as well as acquisitions from other sources. The site will also be expanded to include currency collections," commented Kendrella. "The site is open for use during our transition and we welcome comments and suggestions."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s really weird but it still works on one of my computers…

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

Cookies.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Emailed them. Waiting for reply.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@JBK said:

@Pnies20 said:

Cookies.

Thanks but no I just finished my coffee

:D:D:D POTD material right there!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, I hope this gets worked out, that's where all my coin pics are..🤯

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not cookies. Cached pages. Don't refresh or poof.

I have (had?) a collectivecoin page with photos and data on my 380 bust half die marriages. I'm glad I have the information elsewhere.
    Lance.

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@JBK said:

@Pnies20 said:

Cookies.

How could you? Who would ever say no to cookies?????

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cookies?? I love cookies.... I have four oatmeal raisin cookies every morning as breakfast with my green tea. Munching right now.... That has been my breakfast for the past 33 years.
    Cheers, RickO

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

@Pnies20 said:

@JBK said:

@Pnies20 said:

Cookies.

How could you? Who would ever say no to cookies?????

I prefer donuts

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Cookies?? I love cookies.... I have four oatmeal raisin cookies every morning as breakfast with my green tea. Munching right now.... That has been my breakfast for the past 33 years.
    Cheers, RickO

My favorite as well, Rick! Goes great with coffee or tea.

Dwayne Sessom

I have heard nothing from Stacks Bowers.
    Someone should buy this application and restore the best EASY-TO-USE coin record site around..

This is a shame.

I have my own database records but for heirs and other parties who may need to manage an estate or a collection, it is a jewel, WAS a jewel. :'(

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a shame that PCGS doesn’t allow NGC coins in the showcases (not the registry) as unused that before collective coin.

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Cheers, RickO

Love them oatmeal raisin, not so much tea.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah some tech issue with the site who knows when it will be fixed

goo.gl/NFTDiNmLXxePvRMx6

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone could build another site and charge a small subscription fee to cover network bandwidth and storage.

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used Collective Coin site ever since Stacks acquired it ... however I had been disappointed that the site features were not improved over the years. It is nice place to record and store our collections (photos & details), however, the reporting, limited displays and sorting of collections is none existing, as far as I could tell. It is a static listing of your pieces. I think Stacks could have made this a valuable tool for their marketing efforts and for us collectors ... however, It required resources and money.

As far as PCGS ... I agree above that it is too bad they do not permit at least NGC coins in their registry ... NGC dropped PCGS at one time but restored that option a few years later. While NGC does not have a registry in my special area like PCGS, it does offer another option that is nice, NGC's custom registry. I use this feature to set up my collections ( photos and all) and it works very well. In fact NGC permits raw and other TPG coins to be recorded in your set, however the limitation is ....

" Only NGC, NCS, PCGS and Want status coins will be visible to others in the set listing, gallery, and slideshow tabs."

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Cookies?? I love cookies.... I have four oatmeal raisin cookies every morning as breakfast with my green tea.

A second cousin of mine gave me a few of her version - oatmeal craisin (cranberry raisin) cookies. I'm not a cranberry fanatic but they were outstanding. If anyone ever sees them around, give it a try.

As for the website, they say everything on the internet is forever, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 9:44AM

@JBK said:

@ricko said:
    Cookies?? I love cookies.... I have four oatmeal raisin cookies every morning as breakfast with my green tea.

A second cousin of mine gave me a few of her version - oatmeal craisin (cranberry raisin) cookies. I'm not a cranberry fanatic but they were outstanding. If anyone ever sees them around, give it a try.

As for the website, they say everything on the internet is forever, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

I have confidence CollectiveCoin will be back since Stack's is behind it. It looks like something is happening because the message is different now.

That being said, there are lots of wonderful sites that disappear because it was maintained by one person as a labor of love. When that one person loses interest or can no longer support the site, often the site just disappears. I've seen this with a lot of sites and and lot of other sites are at risk.

If, when viewing your collection on Collective Coin, you selected the option of "All Coins" the site allowed drag and drop to arrange the pix however you wanted.
    VERY easy. VERY intuitive.
    Missing it a LOT.

:'(

edited March 26, 2023 9:44AM

@FrankH said:
    If, when viewing your collection on Collective Coin, you selected the option of "All Coins" the site allowed drag and drop to arrange the pix however you wanted.
    Missing it a LOT.

That is a great feature! What else did you like about it?

I really liked the more modern look and feel.

@Zoins said:

@FrankH said:
    Missing it a LOT.

Other than a GREAT source for webpix, I'd say my MOST valuable part was telling my daughter (estate trustee) how to navigate it. No need for cumbersome computer files or boxes of notes.

The PRIVATE part of each listing was only visible if you were logged in.

That was terrific as I could note not only WHERE I got the coin, but actual cost and any other blurb relating to the seller descriptions.

It will be a SHAME if no one continues operating the site.

@Zoins said:

@FrankH said:
    Missing it a LOT.

I also liked the ability to create collections ... other subsets so one could group and view pieces in a series or by unique features . The other was ability to add multiple photos to the same coin listings i,e. A close up, a labeled details, or a composite photo of multiple coins. When I had put my large cent images in the site, I would a 2nd photo to show my diagnostic of the Newcomb number. As I noted before it was very limited for a database

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2023 1:37AM

I'm bummed about Collectivecoin, because most of my older pix are there.

However, for those of you looking for a nice alternative with a lot more features, try Colleconline.

It's a French collection hosting site (not just for coins), and it offers free hosting space.

My collections:
    https://www.colleconline.com/en/collections/4508/lordmarcovan

Homepage:
    https://www.colleconline.com/en

I liked it enough that I joined up at the lowest paid level (Classic).

I do hope Collectivecoin comes back up again, though, so I can lifeboat my pix onto Colleconline and OneDrive.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

@lordmarcovan said:

However, for those of you looking for a nice alternative with a lot more features, try Colleconline.

It's a French collection hosting site (not just for coins), and it offers free hosting space.

My collections:

Homepage:

I do hope Collectivecoin comes back up again, though, so I can lifeboat my pix onto Colleconline and OneDrive.

It is really important to keep a log of images yourself and not rely on any one site.

I hope CollectiveCoin comes back as well as it was built by one of our own and had a really nice UI and following.

Thanks for posting CollecOnline. I clicked around a bit and it has a lot of features to check out.

You will like CollecOnline for all the features it offers. CollectiveCoin, however, had its strength in simplicity. Its interface was so nicely clean and uncluttered, and easy to use.

Both are excellent. Thank goodness I was using both. From here on out, now that the Cloud is a thing, I’ll be saving backups of my pix to OneDrive as well as to whatever hosting sites I use.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2023 8:45AM

:/

goo.gl/NFTDiNmLXxePvRMx6

@lordmarcovan said:

My collections:

Homepage:

I poked at your site ... looks nice and good work on the coin details.
    I also like the NGC Custom registry site. One can do alot there and one can log raw coins as well ... just the public can not view those images if not NGC OR PCGS graded

• UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad to hear. It was a great site.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2023 3:21PM

Any update from @StacksBowersGalleries on if Collectivecoin is coming back?

@Boosibri said:
    Any update from @StacksBowersGalleries on if Collectivecoin is coming back?

NO ! And it's a bit distressing. When something THIS GOOD is let to rot away, it's a big loss.

I tried colleconline and was not impressed. I suppose I would be if I were willing to do the necessary learning curve, but COLLECTIVE COIN was so amazingly intuitive, complete and easy that it is a true SHAME if it is being abandoned for good.
    :|

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2023 9:17AM

I know someone with hundreds of coins that spent so much time documenting each one on Collective Coin with descriptions and history of each one. No warning, just gone. It’s a shame that a large company would just do this without warning. I guess it’s a lesson to back up everything you do so you don’t have to recreate the wheel somewhere else.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    I know someone with hundreds of coins that spent so much time documenting each one on Collective Coin with descriptions and history of each one. No warning, just gone. It’s a shame that a large company would just do this without warning. I guess it’s a lesson to back up everything you do so you don’t have to recreate the wheel somewhere else.

I’m sympathetic, but given this particular company’s history of technological difficulties including with its paid auctions several years ago, is anyone really surprised by any of this?

edited April 9, 2023 9:52AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@keyman64 said:

I’m sympathetic, but given this particular company’s history of technological difficulties including with its paid auctions several years ago, is anyone really surprised by any of this?

That was a few years ago. I would say their primary sites have improved by leaps and bounds, so I'm still hopefully they can get it operational again.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    You will like CollecOnline for all the features it offers. CollectiveCoin, however, had its strength in simplicity. Its interface was so nicely clean and uncluttered, and easy to use.

Both are excellent. Thank goodness I was using both. From here on out, now that the Cloud is a thing, I’ll be saving backups of my pix to OneDrive as well as to whatever hosting sites I use.

Thank you for the tip lordmarcovan. I am now signed up on CollecOnline.

I have always recorded my coin purchases on paper. So, I don't have to worry about losing electronic records on line.

@CoinHoarder said:

@lordmarcovan said:

I have always recorded my coin purchases on paper. So, I don't have to worry about losing electronic records on line.

That's a great approach. It reminds me of Virgil Brand!

My approach I like is to document things electronically but then export to PDF often. If sites like CollectiveCoin and CollecOnline have APIs to upload coins and images, then it would be easy to populate any site.

@Zoins said:

@CoinHoarder said:

@lordmarcovan said:

My approach I like is to document things electronically but then export to PDF often. If sites like CollectiveCoin and CollecOnline have APIs to upload coins and images, then it would be easy to populate any site.

CollecOnline will generate a PDF for you.

@CoinHoarder - send me a message (lordmarcovan) over on CollecOnline when you get settled in.

Carbonite backs up all my files (images and text) automatically and constantly.
    I have used it a couple times when I had some computer glitch.

Course, I use a desktop for EVERYTHING IMPORTANT

edited April 9, 2023 4:15PM

The "no warning" part of the CollectiveCoin death is the shameful part.

Of course, I saw the writing on the wall a while back, when the site started responding really slowly. At one point I did email someone at Stacks-Bowers (I don't remember who I got), and asked about the future of CollectiveCoin, but got some very noncommital happytalk that meant nothing, as I recall. I could tell there was no master plan, or if there was, the person I was talking to was apparently not privy to it or willing to share any usable info.

Bummer.

edited April 9, 2023 4:20PM

@lordmarcovan said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinHoarder said:

@lordmarcovan said:

CollecOnline will generate a PDF for you.

Can you share an example PDF? I'd love to see what it can output.

I published a book on Bolen's Pynchon House pieces and if it can do something similar, that would be great:

https://privatemintnews.com/books/privatemintnews-book-bolen-pynchon-house.pdf

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if swiped, cookies will appear ?
    In what application ?
    Bookum Dan O

@zoins- I haven’t really used the CollecOnline PDF feature, myself- not yet. I just know it’s there.

TTT :)

Good news!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file