Home Sports Talk

Let's talk about our "Jimmy the Greek specials"

1282930313234»

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knocked out early with the over. Only 3 points on the board with 11 minutes to go in the second quarter. No way going to cover the over.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 8:38PM

i've been gambling so long that i have a little voice in my head that speaks to me sometimes. when Sirianni got cute on the first drive and bypassed an easy 3, the little voice said he's gonna pay for that. then when Saquon Barkley dropped the easiest pass of his life to effectively end the game, the little voice spoke again and said you're about to lose your bet. and it happened. true to what he had been doing all game long, Vic Fangio refused to dial up pressure on Cousins by sending more than 4 and Atlanta blew down the field and scored like Philly had 8 guys on defense. i simply can't believe that guy refused to blitz when Cousins had had an eternity to throw all game long. just horrific coaching.

that's how you give away a game you had won, and that's how you lose a bet you had won

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i've been gambling so long that i have a little voice in my head that speaks to me sometimes. when Sirianni got cute on the first drive and bypassed an easy 3, the little voice said he's gonna pay for that. then when Saquon Barkley dropped the easiest pass of his life to effectively end the game, the little voice spoke again and said you're about to lose your bet. and it happened. true to what he had been doing all game long, Vic Fangio refused to dial up pressure on Cousins by sending more than 4 and Atlanta blew down the field and scored like Philly had 8 guys on defense. i simply can't believe that guy refused to blitz when Cousins had had an eternity to throw all game long. just horrific coaching.

that's how you give away a game you had won, and that's how you lose a bet you had won

Whenever an illustration of a sports nightmare for an Eagles fan is needed, just point to this game.

I should have just placed my finger in an electrical outlet and kept it there for a while, less painful.

@stevek said:
    Eagles-Falcons game:

Any Time Touchdown Scorer
    Saquon Barkley -175

Saquon Barkley - Alt Rushing Yds
    Saquon Barkley 40+ Yards -800
    Saquon Barkley 50+ Yards -420
    Saquon Barkley 60+ Yards -250
    Saquon Barkley 70+ Yards -154
    Saquon Barkley 80+ Yards -102
    Saquon Barkley 90+ Yards +144

Some of these look like a license to print money. But what do I know? My Tyreek call died like a pig.

Every single one of those prop bets hit, except for the first one. Barkley had a TD run called back because he wasn't quite over the goal line. He came close on some other plays as well.

And of course Barkley drops a game winning pass that a pee-wee football league player doesn't drop. Might have been a touchdown. When that ball was in the air, an Eagles bettor had that money spent. Even after the drop, an Eagles win still seemed like a sure thing. Then the Eagles defense and hiss poor coaching snatched away the winning money like a thief in the night.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I got the "Any Time Touchdown Scorer, Saquon Barkley -175" line from FD.

At +315 DK was giving money away, but the dam bet couldn't hit.

I think the FD number included passing. Perhaps the DK number didn't include passing? If they both included passing, that sure was a huge difference.

Still just taking rushing alone, the DK bet was solid in my opinion, and came within a whisker of hitting.

edited September 17, 2024 10:34AM

just want to remind everyone here that if Saquon Barkley had simply caught this football, my roll would be $706 healthier

i felt the need to make this post for proper closure

now it's behind me

https://youtu.be/zgFN4DsQGog?si=WizVdLk9PsDSWV-5

@galaxy27 said:
    just want to remind everyone here that if Saquon Barkley had simply caught this football, my roll would be $706 healthier

i felt the need to make this post for proper closure

now it's behind me

I watch the replay and as the ball is in the air, I still think he's making the catch. 😖

I would hate to have been in a Philly sports bar at that particular time right after the game. Some things may have been broken. And I doubt if management would have said a word. Just tip the staff to clean it up. I might have been one of those tipping the staff.

edited September 17, 2024 12:29PM

@galaxy27 said:

We were talking about this at work after week 1 the entire NFL world including the fan base saw that Cousins was t comfortable back there and going into week 2 you would have to be a complete buffoon to not want to send your D on him

It's just gross from top to bottom, I'm literally almost at the point of not even betting on the outcome of these games and just stuck to prop. bests.

You have to beat the opposing Team

You have to beat the refs

You have to beat the stupid plays by the
    players on the team your betting on

You have to beat the Coach of the team
    your betting on to not outsmart himself

Am I missing anything?

edited September 17, 2024 3:43PM

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

We were talking about this at work after week 1 the entire NFL world including the fan base saw that Cousins was t comfortable back there and going into week 2 you would have to be a complete buffoon to not want to send your D on him

It's just gross from top to bottom, I'm literally almost at the point of not even betting on the outcome of these games and just stuck to prop. bests.

Am I missing anything?

forget the money aspect, this is the objective side of me coming out as a football fan.

as i analyze that game, i can't help but wonder how a guy like Nick Sirianni has an HC job. we all saw what his team did the last half of last season. they wilted like a flower and he had no answers. i heard a stat today that when an NFL team has the lead in the final two minutes, they win 90% of the time. when Philly has the lead in the final two minutes, they win 40% of the time. that sounds outrageous but even if it's remotely true, that speaks to the type of coach he is. snatching defeat from the jaws of victory far too often with him at the helm.

the first drive of the game the Eagles stalled near the goal line and on 4th and 4 he goes for it instead of putting points on the board and taking the lead. i thought to myself, what the fuck is he doing. generally speaking, you don't pull unwarranted moves like that without paying the price at some point down the line. lo and behold, they could have used that 3 at the end of the game.

now let's analyze their last drive. Saquon Barkley should have caught the ball, clearly. if he does, the game is over. but a part of me is wondering why Sirianni was dialing up a pass play on 3rd and short with less than 2 minutes to begin with. why the added risk of an incompletion to stop the clock? if he runs the ball, worst case scenario they burn it down under a minute. best case, and this is a very conceivable case, Saquon either gets the 1st to end the game or comes very close. mind you, the Eagles had rushed for almost 200 yards on the night. let's say he doesn't get it but gets close. guess what the Eagles do better than any other team in the league? and if for some reason the Falcons were able to stop them on two consecutive downs running the ball, then they are a mile away with under a minute left down three. what are they gonna do? they're going to drive for the game-tying FG, which -- worst-case scenario -- means overtime. it just seems like a sensible, clear-minded approach on the first and last drives all but guaranteed a victory.

instead it was incomplete pass, stop the clock, kick a FG, and Atlanta had almost two minutes at their disposal to go win the game. which they did, because......

......please don't get me started on Vic Fangio. he pisses me off the most. it was clear to anyone of sound mind that Cousins had limited mobility. it was talked about in the telecast. it was also mentioned that Fangio rarely blitzes. i don't know what you guys saw during that game, but i witnessed 4 quarters of the Eagles' front 4 being stonewalled at the line of scrimmage and the DC refusing to make adjustments, thereby giving a gimpy QB time to set up shop in the pocket. i thought to myself, surely, surely he's going to come to his senses and send a linebacker or two to put some heat on Cousins. i don't care how immobile he is or how much he sucks -- give any professional quarterback enough time and they will carve you up. gee, what happened on that final drive? Fangio refused to blitz and Cousins blew the Falcons down the field and scored in about 60 seconds. zero pass rush, Falcon receivers WIDE open all the way down the field.

if i'm an Eagles fan naturally i'm not happy with Barkley today, but i could not be more disgusted with the coaching staff. those guys are paid to put their players in the best possible position to win, and Sirianni and Fangio did anything but last night and no one can convince me otherwise

feel free to disagree with me

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Am I missing anything?

forget the money aspect, this is the objective side of me coming out as a football fan.

as i analyze that game, i can't help but wonder how a guy like Nick Sirianni has an HC job. we all saw what his team did the last half of last season. they wilted like a flower and he had no answers. i heard a stat today that when an NFL team has the lead in the final two minutes, they win 90% of the time. when Philly has the lead in the final two minutes, they win 40% of the time. that sounds outrageous but even if it's remotely true, that speaks to the type of coach he is. snatching defeat from the jaws of victory far too often with him at the helm.

the first drive of the game the Eagles stalled near the goal line and on 4th and 4 he goes for it instead of putting points on the board and taking the lead. i thought to myself, what the fuck is he doing. generally speaking, you don't pull unwarranted moves like that without paying the price at some point down the line. lo and behold, they could have used that 3 at the end of the game.

now let's analyze their last drive. Saquon Barkley should have caught the ball, clearly. if he does, the game is over. but a part of me is wondering why Sirianni was dialing up a pass play on 3rd and short with less than 2 minutes to begin with. why the added risk of an incompletion to stop the clock? if he runs the ball, worst case scenario they burn it down under a minute. best case, and this is a very conceivable case, Saquon either gets the 1st to end the game or comes very close. mind you, the Eagles had rushed for almost 200 yards on the night. let's say he doesn't get it but gets close. guess what the Eagles do better than any other team in the league? and if for some reason the Falcons were able to stop them on two consecutive downs running the ball, then they are a mile away with under a minute left down three. what are they gonna do? they're going to drive for the game-timing FG, which -- worst-case scenario -- means overtime. it just seems like a sensible, clear-minded approach on the first and last drives all but guaranteed a victory.

instead it was incomplete pass, stop the clock, kick a FG, and Atlanta had almost two minutes at their disposal to go win the game. which they did, because......

......please don't get me started on Vic Fangio. he pisses me off the most. it was clear to anyone of sound mind that Cousins had limited mobility. it was talked about in the telecast. it was also mentioned that Fangio rarely blitzes. i don't know what you guys saw during that game, but i witnessed 4 quarters of the Eagles' front 4 being stonewalled at the line of scrimmage and the DC refusing to make adjustments, thereby giving a gimpy QB time to set up shop in the pocket. i thought to myself, surely, surely he's going to come to his senses and send a linebacker or two to put some heat on Cousins. i don't care how immobile he is or how much he sucks -- give any professional quarterback enough time and they will carve you up. gee, what happened on that final drive? Fangio refused to blitz and Cousins blew the Falcons down the field and scored in about 60 seconds. zero pass rush, Falcon receivers WIDE open all the way down the field.

if i'm an Eagles fan naturally i'm not happy with Barkley today, but i could not be more disgusted with the coaching staff. those guys are paid to put their players in the best possible position to win, and Sirianni and Fangio did anything but last night and no one can convince me otherwise

Your staying facts, bottom line

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Am I missing anything?

now let's analyze their last drive. Saquon Barkley should have caught the ball, clearly. if he does, the game is over. but a part of me is wondering why Sirianni was dialing up a pass play on 3rd and short with less than 2 minutes to begin with. why the added risk of an incompletion to stop the clock? if he runs the ball, worst case scenario they burn it down under a minute. best case, and this is a very conceivable case, Saquon either gets the 1st to end the game or comes very close. mind you, the Eagles had rushed for almost 200 yards on the night. let's say he doesn't get it but gets close. guess what the Eagles do better than any other team in the league? and if for some reason the Falcons were able to stop them on two consecutive downs running the ball, then they are a mile away with under a minute left down three. what are they gonna do? they're going to drive for the game-timing FG, which -- worst-case scenario -- means overtime. it just seems like a sensible, clear-minded approach on the first and last drives all but guaranteed a victory.

Can't disagree at all - excellent analysis!

Two quick things, the first if nobody believes me, that's okay. During the Eagles first game this season, I can hardly believe myself this happened, but the human brain can be a crazy thing. I wasn't happy with Sirianni in that first game either, and especially after the collapse of last season left a bad taste in my mouth about Sirianni. But long story short, I'm not joking, I know that nobody sees this coming, a voice from deep down inside the primordial part of my brain suddenly wondered what the Eagles would be like with Belichick coaching instead of Sirianni? Then my more advanced evolution part of my brain thought that might be a good idea. Frankly, and I'd pass a polygraph test on this, I wouldn't mind at all if that happened, Belichick coaching the Eagles, and I'm getting to the point whereby I'd actually like to see it happen, Even though I realize the possibility probably doesn't exist.

Second thing as Lombardi preached and so did others before him. Play to your strengths until the other team stops you. That is fundamentally sound football 101. Sirianni for some inexplicable reason doesn't seem to believe in that often enough. He tries to get too cute out there. Then he winds up outsmarting himself. Well he just might outsmart himself out of a job.

I've been following football for a long time. I'm not going to pretend I could be a head coach. However if ya fully understand the game, and know the team players, based on the situation during the game, it's not that hard to accurately predict the play call ahead of time before each snap. I'm right most of the time with an occasional surprise of a play call that fools me. However with Nick Sirianni, he absolutely baffles me a number of times during a game and he seems to baffle himself.

This is a perfect example of a degenerate gambler type of bet but let me explain, I was offered a free bet if I make any bet on WNBA and it loses so I said why not? As sure as the sun will come up.on Saturday I will bet on NCAA so why not take them up on a free bet.

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Am I missing anything?

Two quick things, the first if nobody believes me, that's okay. During the Eagles first game this season, I can hardly believe myself this happened, but the human brain can be a crazy thing. I wasn't happy with Sirianni in that first game either, and especially after the collapse of last season left a bad taste in my mouth about Sirianni. But long story short, I'm not joking, I know that nobody sees this coming, a voice from deep down inside the primordial part of my brain suddenly wondered what the Eagles would be like with Belichick coaching instead of Sirianni? Then my more advanced evolution part of my brain thought that might be a good idea. Frankly, and I'd pass a polygraph test on this, I wouldn't mind at all if that happened, Belichick coaching the Eagles, and I'm getting to the point whereby I'd actually like to see it happen, Even though I realize the possibility probably doesn't exist.

Second thing as Lombardi preached and so did others before him. Play to your strengths until the other team stops you. That is fundamentally sound football 101. Sirianni for some inexplicable reason doesn't seem to believe in that often enough. He tries to get too cute out there. Then he winds up outsmarting himself. Well he just might outsmart himself out of a job.

I've been following football for a long time. I'm not going to pretend I could be a head coach. However if ya fully understand the game, and know the team players, based on the situation during the game, it's not that hard to accurately predict the play call ahead of time before each snap. I'm right most of the time with an occasional surprise of a play call that fools me. However with Nick Sirianni, he absolutely baffles me a number of times during a game and he seems to baffle himself.

Hold on Steve, I absolutely believe most of us in this thread could be a head coach and do a far better job at decision making than most of these guys who like to get cute and out smart themselves.

The list of moronic and bizarre stupid decisions by NFL coaches is endless.

To the point that they are just completely stupid or are in on throwing a game or both.

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Am I missing anything?

Hold on Steve, I absolutely believe most of us in this thread could be a head coach and do a far better job at decision making than most of these guys who like to get cute and out smart themselves.

The list of moronic and bizarre stupid decisions by NFL coaches is endless.

To the point that they are just completely stupid or are in on throwing a game or both.

Well then I'll email my resume to the Eagles.

I don't care what's the salary. My main request would be a weekly meeting in a hot tub with the cheerleaders. 😎

@perkdog said:

This is a perfect example of a degenerate gambler type of bet but let me explain, I was offered a free bet if I make any bet on WNBA and it loses so I said why not? As sure as the sun will come up.on Saturday I will bet on NCAA so why not take them up on a free bet.

Draftkings may be wondering right now who is this Perkdog guy?

Because none of their customers ever won on any WNBA bet before. 😆

good hit perk! 🏀

@galaxy27 said:
    good hit perk! 🏀

Thanks Bud!

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Hit my first parlay of the year for $784.80 on a $20 parlay. Doing 15 $20 NFL parlays a week, so up a little so far.

Liking the combined rushing+receiving and passing+rushing options for RBs and QBs. I stopped adding QB passing yards to my parlays because they miss too much but adding the rushing option to the QB overall yardage makes it a more palatable bet for me.

Robb

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2024 6:00PM

Parlay.Jets ML,KC ML,over 44.5 in SF/Rams tilt.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".