Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    T42
    United States
    S. Scheffler
    +1 F +6

The whales who loaded up on that low odds, top twenty bet on Scheffler, are sure going have to sweat it out tomorrow. Scheffler is probably going to need to shoot at least -3, on a course from which I've read is very tough. But if anyone can do it, Scheffler can.

Scheffler +2 phoned it in.

I hate it when bookies are happy. 😒

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats galaxy.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Galaxy hit win and place, although place didn't pay anything.

"Marginal profit" as he stated, but then again a win is a win. It's money. I mean I'm happy when i find a quarter in the supermarket parking lot.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s unfortunate how Rory missed those 2 hugely important putts down the stretch but if you want to win championships those have to go in. I don’t know if the word choke is accurate because those guys want to win the US Open so badly that I think they put too much pressure on themselves.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

when you've been spewing money the way i have, a net +30 is cause for a raucous celebration 😅

Rory had holed every putt inside 5 feet for 69 holes of the tournament, then he missed 2 in the final 3. the guy had the weight of the golf world on his shoulders for a decade, and then that happened. how he'll ever be able to bounce back from that i have no idea. we'll see what kind of intestinal fortitude he possesses.

what Bryson pulled off on 18 needs to be discussed. if you were listening to the telecast, it was said that a bunker shot of that length is the most difficult shot for a professional. so with the U.S. Open on the line, he put it 4 feet away. he said that was the best shot of his life. i believe him. my first thought.........Jordanesque

• Options

Rory refused an interview after the match. I don't blame him.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I think in retrospect I’m glad Bryson won. Rory didn’t even hang around long enough to congratulate him. In golf probably more than any other sport proper etiquette is highly valued. Sure Rory blew 2 easy putts but show some class. There are many families just in the US struggling to put food on the table and Rory leaves in a huff even though he just won a couple million bucks or whatever second place gets.
    And I’m pretty sure it was Bryson who Galaxy told us a while back that finished second place in a tournament and he was among the first to shake the winners hand.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited June 17, 2024 9:59AM

@Darin said:

And I’m pretty sure it was Bryson who Galaxy told us a while back that finished second place in a tournament and he was among the first to shake the winners hand.

that was at the PGA Championship last month when he was on the range preparing for a potential playoff against Xander. once he saw the winning putt drop, he immediately left to go congratulate him.

yesterday I saw Bryson stop during the middle of his round and sign a disabled boy's hat. and he was high-fiving fans all day long as he walked to the next tee box. i'm here to tell you that those types of acts never happen during the course of play, and it's especially unheard of during the final round of a major when players are laser-focused.

Bryson's popularity has skyrocketed in just the past month of so.

back to that legendary bunker shot on 18 for a moment. here it is for the numbers geeks:

• Options

Galaxy I thought for sure before he hit that shot that he was making bogey at best. Amazing shot!
    I was impressed with his speech he thanked all the greens keepers and volunteers which was pretty classy.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

meanwhile...

• Options
  • Options

My long game was pretty good. Rarely missed a fairway.

Short game, pretty good as well. Except when I was on the green, then sheer panic set in. I never threw my putter in the water, but I thought about doing it a number of times. 😆

• Options
    edited June 17, 2024 9:15AM

@stevek said:

Short game, pretty good as well. Except when I was on the green, then sheer panic set in. I never threw my putter in the water, but I thought about doing it a number of times. 😆

I was golfing with a guy and it was a par 4, this guy usually used a 3 wood to tee off but for some reason decided to use his driver. There was a little pond about 30 yards from the tee box so all you had to do is not hit a grounder or soft infield pop up(using baseball terminology). Well he hit a pop up and plunked his ball right in the water. He immediately tossed his driver in the water saying that way at least he could never use it again.
    That was the same course, different hole, my Dad once hit a scorching ground ball that hit a bird about 50 yards away and killed it. Feathers went everywhere. Poor bird, minding its business looking out for predators and gets taken out by a 100 mph grounder.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

I was golfing with a guy and it was a par 4, this guy usually used a 3 wood to tee off but for some reason decided to use his driver. There was a little pond about 30 yards from the tee box so all you had to do is not hit a grounder or soft infield pop up(using baseball terminology). Well he hit a pop up and plunked his ball right in the water. He immediately tossed his driver in the water saying that way at least he could never use it again.
    That was the same course, different hole, my Dad once hit a scorching ground ball that hit a bird about 50 yards away and killed it. Feathers went everywhere. Poor bird, minding its business looking out for predators and gets taken out by a 100 mph grounder.

I used to go to the range a lot. Even though I didn't play golf a lot. Going to the range and hitting a bucket of balls was always a good way for me to let off steam from say a long day of aggravating business problems.

Problem was I never really practiced my putting, and it showed badly when I was live playing 18 holes. I think I could read the greens just fine. Maybe I thought I could but in reality I didn't. But in any event, I just couldn't adapt my brain to transfer that read info to my hands and arms.

My Dad used to tell me that I should take some lessons from the pro at the club. I never did, I was too cheap to spend the money.

My favorite club was the 3-iron. I was deadly with that club, maybe on a professional level, at least in my mind anyway. 😎

• Options

Steve I never took lessons either. What helped me a lot was subscribing to golf digest magazine. They always had a lot of good tips for beginners like me. In fact I was so green I didn’t know you were supposed to play chip shots from off the green back in your stance to get loft on the ball.
    Never got too great at golf but like you I never played that often.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited June 17, 2024 12:22PM

i've processed what happened yesterday and i feel empathy for Rory. thus, i give him a pass. that was no ordinary gut punch. that was a 2-ton weight on the verge of being lifted from his shoulders, then in the most excruciating fashion imaginable it was left there.

the first time i went to the Masters was back in 2014. that seems like an eternity ago. that same year was the last time Rory won a major, so i'm sure it's even blurrier to him. also consider what was going on in his personal life -- a few weeks ago he served his wife divorce papers, then a mere days before the US Open they reconciled. it was set up -- on Father's Day, no less -- to be one of the best moments of his life, and it turned out to be a catastrophe.

that said, i probably would have reacted the same way. just being completely honest. and it wouldn't have had anything to do with disrespecting the sport or casting a dark shadow over DeChambeau's achievement. i simply would have wanted to get as far away from that track as i possibly could, as quickly as i could, and go find a cavernous hole to jump into. being buried alive would have been more appealing than fielding a slew of questions about the nightmare i just lived through.

i was on a treadmill watching and when he missed those bunnies on 16 and 18 i literally almost fell off. regardless if you love, hate or are indifferent about the guy, it was extremely difficult not to feel for him.

edit: and don't lose sight of what was going through his mind as he watched Bryson on 18. he saw him 55 yards away about to blast out of a trap and i can all but guarantee that he was thinking to himself, "a reprieve is in my immediate future." then DeChambeau proceeds to hit one of the clutchest shots in the history of golf and the knife that was stuck in Rory's side was then twisted about 500 times. he will eventually say all the right things, but it wasn't going to be right after that round when he was writhing in extreme agony.

• Options

Galaxy- I understand what you’re saying but sometimes you can show what you’re made of by doing some small gesture like shaking hands with an opponent who just beat you.
    Those guys don’t need to get lost in their own little world and act like winning the US open is the greatest thing in the world. Rory you just won 2 million (I use that figure because I don’t know how much it was) now buck up, quit acting like a spoiled kid and go shake Bryson’s hand.
    I’m sure Bryson would have really appreciated it and also would have had some kind words to say to Rory also.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

1st: $4,300,000 -- Bryson DeChambeau
    2nd: $2,322,000 -- Rory McIlroy

Completely understood that to these guys at this point in their careers, it's more than about the money. However that being said, I'd have to think that an over 2 mil payday has to help ease the pain at least a little bit.

• Options

Of course I say that because it’s 100 degrees outside, the wind is blowing 30 miles per hour, I’m out working in it and I’m 59 years old. I had prostate cancer, may have heart disease, and I never won any 2 million dollar purses in my life so my perspective may differ slightly from Rory Mcelroys.
    Actually the more I think about it the less I think of Rory.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

I wonder if the Liv/PGA rivalry helped contribute in some small way to his rapid departure. And the bad blood. Give credit to BD and his congratulating gesture to Xander last month,when he could of just as well made a quick departure. He has one upped Rory in that regard.

• Options

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rory-mcilroy-breaks-silence-after-crushing-loss-us-open-stepping-away-from-golf-process-everything

Rory McIlroy breaks silence after crushing loss at US Open, stepping away from golf to 'process everything'

• Options
    edited June 17, 2024 8:48PM

We all know what a fierce competitor Jack Nicklaus was. Three months before this picture was taken Tom Watson had finished first at the Masters and Jack was second.
    So what do we see in this picture? Nicklaus must have avenged that loss and beat Watson at the British Open. Now he’s consoling Tom for finishing in second place. Not quite.
    When this pic was taken Watson had
    just beaten Nicklaus by one shot at the 1977 British Open.
    There was a good reason he was a legend. Everyone knew he could win. He showed the whole world how to lose.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 5:20AM

I've lost games in an unsportsmanlike fashion before, I'm talking Softball championships and best of 7 Nintendo Ice Hockey series and a host of important Madden games so I can understand Rory becoming unglued.

I will say every time I've become unglued and lost my mind it was always followed with an apology and a congratulations with a handshake or bro hug after.

Rory will make it right I'm sure. It happens

• Options

• Options

I envision a 25 dimes bet coming from Galaxy on Rory McIlroy to win the Scottish Open.

• Options

my gf and i come up with nicks for golfers, and Patrick Cantgetlaid was my brilliant creation that she's still envious of to this day

• Options

Looks good for you Sunday. A log jam up top for the win. Quite a change in scores from Pinehurst 2 last week. Less than 5 or 6 under par last week.

• Options

• Options

Mentioning your GF may have brought out the win.

I'd say a nice dinner, restaurant of her choice, is obligatory. 😉

• Options

@stevek said:

Mentioning your GF may have brought out the win.

I'd say a nice dinner, restaurant of her choice, is obligatory. 😉

it's ramen noodles until i get out of the hole

i think the key was making fun of him. i'm gonna continue that strategy until it stops working. so whomever i bet on next week, get ready to get roasted

and btw, if i had eaten that bet i had a post locked and loaded:

"well, looks like Patrick Cantgetlaid can get laid after all, because he just screwed me"

• Options

Finally hit a bet. My buddy loved the Sox today and asked me to put in a $200 bet for him so like a moth to a flame I followed him with a $120 of my own money and cashed

• Options

@perkdog

very nice bro!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @perkdog

very nice bro!

And to you as well. Glad you hit your golf bet

Let's get some more!! ⛳🍻

• Options

had no idea it was the finals

had no idea that a team was up 3-0

had no idea that the other team forced a G7

outside of that, i know what I'm doing

• Options

Hope you are right. I need the Oilers to complete my parlay.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Hope you are right. I need the Oilers to complete my parlay.

good luck to us!

• Options

Good luck fellas 👍

• Options

I follow hockey very closely.

Gretzky is having another great season for the Oilers.

• Options

Parlay came up empty. After Oilers lost first 3 games I had conceded defeat. So I was surprised they at least came back in the next 3 to make a series of it.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2024 9:25PM

Taylor Pendejo owes me one after what he pulled on his final hole at the Canadian Open a month ago

(google is your amigo if you don't know español)

why 133.63? because i want to be an even 500$ in the hole if when i eat this one

• Options
    edited June 25, 2024 6:12AM

More "stupid" things used to happen to me when I wagered, than grains of sand on the beach.

The most stupid that I can recall, is I've got $50 to win on a 4-1 horse at Santa Anita. Well they're coming down the stretch, my horse and the favorite are neck and neck, but deep stretch the favorite is too good, and pulls away to win by around 2 lengths. I throw the ticket in disgust, and it sails over the betting machines into the area where the tellers walk, which of course is closed off to the public.

Well there's an objection on the winner, and I'm not even worried about it, because I've watched countless horse races, and I knew there was no interference in the stretch. My losing ticket that I threw away was no good anyway. Turns out the winner's interference didn't concern my second place horse, but something the winner did to another horse at the beginning of the race. Well you see it coming, they take down the winner, put my horse up and it pays $10 something - it's a $250 ticket for me. But I'm in a bit of horror as my ticket is laying somewhere behind the counter.

I didn't panic because all the tellers knew me, some on a first name basis. I politely asked one of them to look on the ground and find the ticket for me, and he quickly got a few other tellers to look for it. Unfortunately there were quite a few, maybe hundreds of tickets on the ground in that particular area. They looked for a few minutes, then the guy basically says to me that they have to get back to work, they can't spend any more time looking for the ticket. What was I gonna do? Nothing I could do. I didn't even ask if I could look for the ticket myself, I knew they weren't going to allow me to walk in that private area.

Okay so I hissed away 250 bucks for no reason. Not a big tragedy in my life. But what does hiss me off to this day, is I'm sure that one of those SOB tellers after I walked away from the area, went back and found that ticket. I'm sure him and his ugly wife had a nice dinner party with the money, at my expense.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2024 6:50AM

It’s amazing how bad my luck can run. Last Saturday playing ultimate hold em, just have to beat the dealer not the other players. I kept getting decent hands that I would play, but if I had a pair the dealer would have a higher pair or two pair. Once I had high two pair and was thinking good at least I win this one then the dealer turns over a straight.i hadn’t even noticed the 3 cards to a straight on the board!😩 then I got kings, high pair on the board. Did I think I would win that hand, no because there were 4 spades on the board and of course I didn’t have one. And the dealer did. Then the final nail in my coffin was driven home with extreme malice when there were two pair on the board, kings and threes. I had a three for a full house. I knew when all the other players said they didn’t have a king that the dealer would have it.
    My head almost exploded when he turned over his cards and one was a king.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    It’s amazing how bad my luck can run. Last Saturday playing ultimate hold em, just have to beat the dealer not the other players. I kept getting decent hands that I would play, but if I had a pair the dealer would have a higher pair or two pair. Once I had high two pair and was thinking good at least I win this one then the dealer turns over a straight.i hadn’t even noticed the 3 cards to a straight on the board!😩 then I got kings, high pair on the board. Did I think I would win that hand, no because there were 4 spades on the board and of course I didn’t have one. And the dealer did. Then the final nail in my coffin was driven home with extreme malice when there were two pair on the board, kings and threes. I had a three for a full house. I knew when all the other players said they didn’t have a king that the dealer would have it.

Bad beats for sure.

Had one last week at my favorite free chips poker website. Best on the internet in my opinion. But once ya get your free chips to initially play, if ya lose them, ya gotta pay for more free chips which can get quite expensive. So the players are good, they guard their chips like they were money, even though the chips have no cash-in value.

Playing PLO, I've got the nuts on the turn with jacks full, to a loose player. I've already got her chip stack envisioned in my chip stack. River comes king of diamonds which now gives me kings full, however it's now only second nuts to a possible straight flush. Again, she's loose, and I figured she either caught her flush, likely an Ace high flush, or she had a lesser boat. Yell, ya can't play poker if you're constantly afraid of the opponent having the nuts. I'm not in position, I go all-in, she snap calls and turns over the straight flush. Even if I had position, and she went all-in, I would have snap called her anyway. Oh well.

That double paired board in hold 'em can sometimes be one of the toughest hands to play when you've got the baby boat. Generally if a tight player goes all-in, they've almost always got the higher boat. But a tough player, I've seen this before, could go all-in representing the nut boat, but doesn't have chit, a pure bluff. LOL

• Options

@Darin said:

That's called "One of those nights"

The bad version

We have all had them bro, hang tough

• Options

Brunson stated that poker isn't about winning or losing, it's about making the right decisions.

Doyle (RIP) of course was exactly right. That decision I made last week that got me felted, in no way, shape, or form was that a bad decision. Believe me, sooner or later, I'll get all my lost chips on that hand, back from that player and much more. LOL

• Options

It seems bad beats hurt us more than great wins elate us. Mine was a harness race some 40 years ago. Still remember the horses name and that of the driver. $20 win, $30 place, and $50 show bets. 5-2 closing odds. Went to the rail to watch the home stretch run of the race. Horse is leading by 2 1/2 open lengths as he gets in front of me. Then the unthinkable. Breaks stride right in front of me,was a pacer not a trotter, and finished right out of the money. My bad beat in the bad beat HOF.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    It seems bad beats hurt us more than great wins elate us. Mine was a harness race some 40 years ago. Still remember the horses name and that of the driver. $20 win, $30 place, and $50 show bets. 5-2 closing odds. Went to the rail to watch the home stretch run of the race. Horse is leading by 2 1/2 open lengths as he gets in front of me. Then the unthinkable. Breaks stride right in front of me,was a pacer not a trotter, and finished right out of the money. My bad beat in the bad beat HOF.

Dam, that really hurts.

I'll tell ya a story that's even much worse. A family friend bought a harness horse, a two year old pacer never having raced, and i don't recall that it was in training yet or not. Paid "big" money for it, and the assigned trainer was one of the top trainers in the country. i'm not going to say the name of the trainer, but I think you would instantly recognize the name. They really took a chance and went all-in on this horse.

Well the times on the practice tracks were astonishing, so i was told. Without question ,a potential championship horse for sure, just a question of how big. First pari-mutual race, it totally destroys the field, in Niatross type fashion. Second race out, I watched the race on a simulcast. It's odds were 1-9 and it had around a 10 length lead at the top of the stretch, pacing easily, but then inexplicably breaks, and finishes dead last.

It did qualify, but in its third race did the exact same thing, broke at the top of the stretch with a large lead. This top trainer tried everything, realizing it was probably the crowd noise or whatever getting it to break. The problem is that horses are creatures of habit, and it is almost impossible, if not impossible, to change their bad habits once they repetitively start doing something. At that point they couldn't even qualify the horse. It would break like that even in qualifying sessions. It never raced again.

Nicely the owner's wife took a liking to the horse and it wasn't put down. The horse lived out a full life on a farm, with the owner's wife visiting it on a regular basis, I guess as a pet of sorts.