Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ohtani or Judge for MVP?

1235»

Comments

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, Judge is fantastic. He is just chasing lots of pitches.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

its a good thing the MVP award is only voted on for the regular season. Judge has disappeared.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game 5?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2022 6:47PM

Remind me how many AB's Ohtani or pitches thrown has had in this or any post season. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lets see how he does when a game actually means something!

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 4:25AM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Remind me how many AB's Ohtani or pitches thrown has had in this or any post season. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lets see how he does when a game actually means something!

The other side of that ridiculous argument is in Game 5 whomever pitched to Judge obviously couldn’t handle the pressure. He basically hit that HR off of a pitcher throwing up meatballs.

I could take it so far as to say the first 4 games Judge showed himself to be someone who cannot handle the pressure. With 2 outs and nobody on he finally faced the one pitcher who couldn’t handle the pressure more than him and was in a low enough expectation AB that he succeeded.

Great players are great players period. They are great on a random Wednesday and in October. Small sample sizes in baseball lead to mediocre heroes and GOATs that look like Mario Mendoza. If a player is lucky enough to play on great teams the sample size gets large enough to bring their stats to their ability.

Judge is a great player and is so every time he is at the plate. If he struggles in the LCS he is a great player, if he hits a few bombs he is a great player.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 you got it, right there. teeny tiny sample sizes explain most terrible and fantastic playoff performances. I suppose there are that few that develop the yips like Knoblauch, but generally I agree

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Judge is batting .167 in the postseason? 48% strikeout rate. MVP!

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    Judge is batting .167 in the postseason? 48% strikeout rate. MVP!

LOL, you can pick out a six game stretch by virtually all MVP candidates and find a similarly futile stretch. Too small a sample size.

I did not cherry-pick six random games. Those are his postseason stats. I know only the regular season matters in MVP voting, but if not making it to the postseason is a negative against Ohtani, batting worse than Zack Grenkie in the postseason should be a similar slight against Judge. ;)

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    I did not cherry-pick six random games. Those are his postseason stats. I know only the regular season matters in MVP voting, but if not making it to the postseason is a negative against Ohtani, batting worse than Zack Grenkie in the postseason should be a similar slight against Judge. ;)

Which, at this point, is only 6 games. I'm sure at this point, you're just trolling, but I can point to how Ohtani started the season and ended the season and come up similarly futile stats. Ohtani still deserving, but is not going to win an MVP in a year where a player nearly hit for the triple crown, hitting 62 HRs.

@lahmejoon said:

@FirstBeard said:
    Ohtani still deserving, but is not going to win an MVP in a year where a player nearly hit for the triple crown, hitting 62 HRs.

I agree - good point.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

28 to 2.

Aaron Judge, NYY: 28 (first), 2 (second) -- 410 points
    Shohei Ohtani, LAA: 2 (first), 28 (second) -- 280 points
    Yordan Alvarez, HOU: 22 (third), 8 (fourth) -- 232 points
    José Ramírez, CLE: 6 (third), 11 (fourth), 5 (fifth), 4 (sixth), 2 (seventh), 1 (eighth) -- 186 points

José Ramírez, CLE: 6 (third), 11 (fourth), 5 (fifth), 4 (sixth), 2 (seventh), 1 (eighth) -- 186 points

uhm, how did Bobby Orr not win, place or show?

Hahahaha. Nicely done.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been posting because it seems like 90% of you wouldn't sign anyone over 30 that is a large man.> @FirstBeard said:

Hahahaha. Nicely done.

Orr would have won easily had it not been for injuries! :s

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    edited November 18, 2022 4:26PM

@Cakes said:
    I have been posting because it seems like 90% of you wouldn't sign anyone over 30 that is a large man.> @FirstBeard said:

Hahahaha. Nicely done.

Reading that on my commuter train home I busted a gut so hard laughing other passengers probably figured I needed Thorazine.

@ArtVandelay said:
    It's not even close. Aaron Judge.

At 28-2 in voting you were exactly right. A huge landslide.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

Hahahaha. Nicely done.

Reading that on my commuter train home I busted a gut so hard laughing other passengers probably figured I needed Thorazine.

That's funny, I did the exact same thing when you first posted the Orr zing but I was in the office not on a train.

Thank you for the good hearted laugh.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.