Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August………pick ups.

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams said:
    While we're discussing 3B, I wanted to introduce the group to Austin Riley, who has quietly become the best offensive 3B in either league this season. He is a dark horse NL MVP.

He can rake and they got him relatively cheap!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@76collector said:

@Billyk97 said:

@76collector said:
    My guy Nolan... Haven't seen blurry around for a while to argue that Rendon is the better rookie 3b from the class of 13, so we will just accept that it is Nolan, :D

Nolan Arenado is so underrated and arguably the best third baseman of this generation. I picked up that card for cheap last year such an undervalued guy in the hobby.

I'm not a young pup. Born in 76 and watch a LOT of baseball. Watched a lot of Brett, Schmidt, Chipper, Rolen. Never saw Brooks play but I'd argue that Nolan is the BEST to EVER do it at 3B with his glove. I think he still has to put years of offensive production together to be mentioned with Brett/Schmidt/Chipper offensively, but he is even better with the leather than they were when you watch him in person. I'm a Cleveland transplant to Colorado and my comparison defensively is that he is the Omar Vizquel of 3b, just amazing with the glove. And I agree he is still undervalued compared to a lot of the shiny new 23-25 year olds everyone is spending their paychecks on.

FYI - to all you old heads who will never admit someone today is as good as a past legend, I invite you to go to youtube and watch highlight videos of Nolan at 3B before you comment if you haven't watched him play in person.

Jeff

Jeff,

Huge Nolan fan here. Guy will be in the discussion for best ever once he retires. Better bat than Brooks but not as good of a glove. Not a knock on Nolan - he can pick it, for sure - but Brooks was insane.

Probably the only guy I’d put ahead of Arenado, honestly.

Best,

Tim

I can absolutely respect this argument. Growing up playing, coaches (including my father) would use Brooks as the definition of what a good fielder was (you look like Brooks Robinson out there). I unfortunately am to young to ever have seen him play and can only go by stats and highlight reels. Nolan has him in fielding % at this point in his career and I'd bet has a bigger range factor too. But, stats can't tell the entire story, and I can acknowledge Brooks as the absolute measuring stick for any 3B. As far as McAdams comment Riley is a beast at the plate and very solid in the field. No knock on him, but glove wise isn't in the discussion with Nolan, Nolan is generational with the leather.

PS - Sorry for stealing the thread for a minute here by saying something controversial, lol. Now back to your regularly scheduled pictures of awesome recent pickups !

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 12:40PM

@Chicago1976 said:
    For my Bears PC.

Remember Johnny Morris doing the Neal Armstrong and the Mike Ditka show each week. Very cool.

Incidentally when I learned in school that Neal Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon I thought they chose the Bears coach to get that honor - which made sense to my 7 year old brain.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Folks - the best third baseman ever isn’t Brooks Robinson. It’s Mike Schmidt, and Arrenado isn’t quite that good. HOF for Nolan, but not GOAT.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Centauri said:
    Folks - the best third baseman ever isn’t Brooks Robinson. It’s Mike Schmidt, and Arrenado isn’t quite that good. HOF for Nolan, but not GOAT.

I appreciate your opinion and just to clarify, I was talking specifically about defense. And I do think both Brooks and Arenado were and are better defenders than Schmidt, who was himself quite the excellent fielder.

I would certainly agree that of the three, Mike Schmidt had the best stick, then Nolan, then Robinson.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Centauri said:

I appreciate your opinion and just to clarify, I was talking specifically about defense. And I do think both Brooks and Arenado were and are better defenders than Schmidt, who was himself quite the excellent fielder.

I would certainly agree that of the three, Mike Schmidt had the best stick, then Nolan, then Robinson.

That's correct we had been discussing fielding. But if we have to speak about other accomplishments Robinson also won two World Series Titles and an MVP award. Arrenado hasn't won either.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Centauri said:

Schmidt said on a Phillies broadcast that Nolan could turn out to be the best ever

• Options

@Centauri said:

Schmidt said on a Phillies broadcast that Nolan could turn out to be the best ever

• Options
    edited August 9, 2022 9:49AM

Schmidt was not the best ever for me. Top 3, but not #1.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Centauri said:

That's correct we had been discussing fielding. But if we have to speak about other accomplishments Robinson also won two World Series Titles and an MVP award. Arrenado hasn't won either.

I will first say, I grew up idolizing Schmidt.

I have seen Schmidt do something twice that I haven't seen anyone else do.

With a runner on second and playing in, I have seen Schmidt make a diving stop, then lunge and tag the runner trying to go to third. Schmidt's awareness was unmatched. When he played first base in 1985, multiple times I saw him throw to third to get the lead runner, when I had never seen a first baseman do that ever, nor since (normally they would run to first to get the out).

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cgfalcone said:

hey cgfalcone,
    Very nice... :)

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    My first Lebron ROOKIE Exquisite. A pickup from last year.

keep that tucked away. its started to fade, don't wanna see this happen to it. I own the three following cards, same year at different levels of ink.

faded, on its way out, perfectly preserved.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

hey PNWcollector,
    Nice one... :)

• Options

@slimies said:
    feeling better now that the heat wave is gone here. here's some more cards from that collection i had picked up.

hey slimies,
    Looks good dude... :)

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

@halosfan said:
    Here’s a few that came back today
    These 2 get me closer to this set

This is one of the many ARODs in the order

This one leaves me 3 cards shy of the non auto set

Couldn’t pass this one up

Those are awesome. The 2001 Legendary Cuts set is my favorite modern set. Unbelievable array of relic cards and the cut autos are crazy at some of the print numbers on some really rare autos. Gorgeous cards! Who are you missing in the relics? Just curious.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@slimies said:
    feeling better now that the heat wave is gone here. here's some more cards from that collection i had picked up.

hey slimies,
    Looks good dude... :)

Thanks you . I wont be loading pictures of every card as the collection i purchased is approx 2,850 cards .

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

JR was so awesome and it’s a shame his career (and life) ended as they did. Just a dominant, charismatic player.

I recently sent in that 72 for grading. Would love an 8!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stieb was pretty dominant in his prime, at least thats how I remember him as a young Jays fan.

@emar said:
    I'm still collecting Rookies.
    Stieb RC takes me back to my early years of collecting.

• Options

@emar said:
    I'm still collecting Rookies.
    Stieb RC takes me back to my early years of collecting.

hey emar,
    Very nice... :)

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

@GDM67 said:

The Riley was a pickup from our old friend Dave Barkus.

I love those early teens Topps Pro Debut sets. Nice looking Olsens.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

@Chargers49ersLakers said:

FINALLY got a BBCE 76 Trek box that I could afford! Yippee!!! Finally found a sales sheet as well!! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

hey Chargers49ersLakers,
    That's pretty cool.... :)

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:

@halosfan said:

Those are awesome. The 2001 Legendary Cuts set is my favorite modern set. Unbelievable array of relic cards and the cut autos are crazy at some of the print numbers on some really rare autos. Gorgeous cards! Who are you missing in the relics? Just curious.

I need like 12 mire for this set ... I finished the Debut Bat set Earlier. Biggest one I need still for this one is Aaron.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@freddyp23 said:
    Picked this up last week. 1/1 Stan Mausial National Treasure

Wow!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 8:20AM

M

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

Amazing that five total nobodies can make a man so happy? Well, that's where we're at!!! :D

Added bonus is that four out of five are "La Sortija" backs, which also probably means nothing to most! ;)

And yet, I'm still happy and still posting them! :p

1946 Propagandas Montiel - 100 Borrest Smith, 145 Bill Wixted, 165 Bill Lewis, 179 John Sabatie, 180 John Maire

I need just five more to complete one of the toughest and most beautiful star packed sets you ever saw...

Haven’t had that happen in a while so I'm sliding a plea at the end here...

Again, I’ve been working on this set for years and I still need 4-5 cards to complete it. That range is because I’m not sure one exists:

90 Oswald Bluege (may not exist)
    92 Buddy Lewis
    144 Jack Sweeting
    171 Jackie Myer
    177 Paul Waner

How’s that for a collection of players? Obscure players from obscure sets are a real challenge so if you’re still reading, please, Please, PLEASE go shake some trees for me? Call a dealer you know, email a friend, check your own boxes and help me finish this one off, fellas.

Thank you
    :)

hey 51Wheaties,
    Oh Wow.... :)

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are so cool. That Mel Ott photo is amazing.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2022 6:03PM

@Stone193 said:

1957 PEP cereal Babe Ruth premium. Another "variation" to what my wife thinks is an insane collection - not me.

My total to date (15 yrs of collecting) - possibly the rarest? The "pink" one. Since I'm sure no boy would keep - toss to sis who precipitously tosses to the circular file?

Best complement? A full box (empty) - also got at a great price!

hey Stone193,
    Those are Awesome.... I'd even ware a pink Babe Ruth ring... :)