Options

August………pick ups.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:

@Billyk97 said:

@76collector said:
    My guy Nolan... Haven't seen blurry around for a while to argue that Rendon is the better rookie 3b from the class of 13, so we will just accept that it is Nolan, :D

Nolan Arenado is so underrated and arguably the best third baseman of this generation. I picked up that card for cheap last year such an undervalued guy in the hobby.

I'm not a young pup. Born in 76 and watch a LOT of baseball. Watched a lot of Brett, Schmidt, Chipper, Rolen. Never saw Brooks play but I'd argue that Nolan is the BEST to EVER do it at 3B with his glove. I think he still has to put years of offensive production together to be mentioned with Brett/Schmidt/Chipper offensively, but he is even better with the leather than they were when you watch him in person. I'm a Cleveland transplant to Colorado and my comparison defensively is that he is the Omar Vizquel of 3b, just amazing with the glove. And I agree he is still undervalued compared to a lot of the shiny new 23-25 year olds everyone is spending their paychecks on.

FYI - to all you old heads who will never admit someone today is as good as a past legend, I invite you to go to youtube and watch highlight videos of Nolan at 3B before you comment if you haven't watched him play in person.

Jeff

This book, https://amzn.to/3K4rHn0 , lists the top five as:

Robinson
    Bell
    Schmidt
    Jimmy Collins
    Clete Boyer

Pre-1920 stats, especially defensive stats, are unreliable, but Collins seems appropriately placed. Arenado seems to be in a group with Schmidt and Bell already, like if he falls off a cliff today, but it will be interesting if he can continue to field third in the back half of his career and approach Robinson.

You do him no favors to compare him to Vizquel. Vizquel was a solid (and after he left Seattle a solidly below average) shortstop forever. Really, better comparisons are to Ozzie Smith or Keith Hernandez.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Schmidt was not the best ever for me. Top 3, but not #1.

I'll bite. Which third baseman was close to as good as Schmidt was?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:
    I primarily go after vintage baseball rookies these days, but being in Milwaukee I am trying to acquire every Giannis base rookie. Just picked this one up:

Nice choice on the Giannis!!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Goldenage said:

Alex Rodriguez

Now, many people will eliminate him because of his 2 or 3 (thousand) failed tests - myself included - but I also know theres a growing percentage of fans out there who don’t seem to mind PED use one bit.

If you fall into the latter camp, that’s fine by me. That’s not how I feel but I firmly believe people can feel however they want about issues great and small so long as they are good and decent people.

And under those auspices, you could make a pretty good argument that A-Rod pushes everyone down one spot and have lots of numerical evidence to back it up.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go on the Propagandas Montiel. Happy to see you find half of what you needed. Hope you find the final 5.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Stone193 said:

1957 PEP cereal Babe Ruth premium. Another "variation" to what my wife thinks is an insane collection - not me.

My total to date (15 yrs of collecting) - possibly the rarest? The "pink" one. Since I'm sure no boy would keep - toss to sis who precipitously tosses to the circular file?

Best complement? A full box (empty) - also got at a great price!

hey Stone193,
    Those are Awesome.... I'd even ware a pink Babe Ruth ring... :)

Thanx!

Mike
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@daltex said:

@Goldenage said:

Alex Rodriguez

Now, many people will eliminate him because of his 2 or 3 (thousand) failed tests - myself included - but I also know theres a growing percentage of fans out there who don’t seem to mind PED use one bit.

If you fall into the latter camp, that’s fine by me. That’s not how I feel but I firmly believe people can feel however they want about issues great and small so long as they are good and decent people.

And under those auspices, you could make a pretty good argument that A-Rod pushes everyone down one spot and have lots of numerical evidence to back it up.

On the contrary, I think Rodriguez is as good as you say he is. I just group him with Wagner as the two best shortstops (by a large margin) of all time. Not going to get into it, but it was criminal that the Yankees moved him to third.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Monster Rack Pickup from REA - From Manny Andrews to Me.

This rack now resides in the Brewer State.

hey UFFDAH,
    Oh Yeah... :)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty! It's sucks that damn Yankee had to be front and center. It would have been really cool to have another Brewer on there.

I was shocked to see Yount's stat line for 1976. I thought he would have had more than 2 homeruns but then I noticed he really didn't have much power early on.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    adding to my 1950's collection.

Why does Aaron appear left handed in this card?

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams said:

@stwainfan said:

I think it's a error. It wasn't corrected.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2022 7:04PM

Topps ruined what I think would have been the best looking card of Hammerin Hank by reversing the negative😩

There are not many batting poses of Aaron during his career by Topps. This image with the classic old style Brave uniform would have been classic…thanks Topps!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2022 7:27PM

Picked this up this month. The GOAT of women's Tennis. 24 Grand slam singles titles, 64 Grand slam titles overall(singles, doubles, mixed doubles). 192 singles titles...Records that will probably never be broken. She was the first woman in history to achieve the calendar year Grand Slam in the open era.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams said:

@stwainfan said:

A well known error that was never corrected. Reversed negative. Look at the "4"
    on his uniform.

• Options

It gave me the option. I could have stored it in the ebay vault. I decided I wanted it here.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Topps ruined what I think would have been the best looking card of Hammerin Hank by reversing the negative😩

There are not many batting poses of Aaron during his career by Topps. This image with the classic old style Brave uniform would have been classic…thanks Topps!

Agree - because of this I think the nod goes to his ‘54 Bowman.

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a chance on these since the pictures looked good. Never heard of CEX grading. Thomas has a slight corner ding. Murray looks great with no visible issues I can see through the plastic - anything that looks like a crease is just a scratch on the plastic. Corners may be a bit soft and it’s not perfectly centered, but I’m very happy for $20. I’ll have to crack these out at some point. Not monetarily worth getting Thomas re-graded, but Murray could be a good one.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean there is still a debate on the GOAT in football when Brady has all the records? What am I missing here?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fightfraud24 said:
    My latest pickup for my Ken Griffey Jr, collection numbered #18/21

Very nice!

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

@coolstanley said:
    You mean there is still a debate on the GOAT in football when Brady has all the records? What am I missing here?

Montana was the best QB in the 80's and to me he is a GOAT. If rules are what they are today back then, I think Montana wouldn't have been injured less & would have played a lot longer. Montana never threw an interception in a Super Bowl was 4-0 with 11 TD's & 3 MVP's.

I'm a huge Pats fan, and I believe that Brady is the QB GOAT, but I'm always amazed by Montana's 11-0 TD-INT ratio in the Super Bowl. That's an incredible accomplishment over 4 Super Bowls, and Montana alone will always own those numbers.

The era argument is valid, though Brady's career began only 6 years after Montana's ended, so there's not a huge gap. Plus, Brady had already won 3 SB's before the most stringent rules changes went into effect between 2008-2012.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleFan23 said:
    Probably one of my favorite pickups of the year so far.....I was 13 in 1991 when I remember the Donruss Elite cards were inserted into packs. Being a huge Ryno fan, I was ecstatic to learn that there 5,000 of the "Signature Series" Ryno cards inserted into packs. I really never recall ever seeing one for many years after that, nor did I know anyone that even pulled one of the Elite cards from a pack. I opened many, many boxes myself when I was 13. Over the years, I would see a Ryno card here or there ungraded. Decided about a year and a half ago that I would try to obtain a few select Ryno cards to add to my collection, with this being one on the list. I held out for a really nice PSA9, and this one came up at auction a few weeks ago. The bidding got pretty competitive towards the end, but I managed to win it...just barely. So happy and excited to add this Ryno to my collection.

Bucket list card for me.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    A upgrade on the last card of this all-time great.

I have one of those at PSA right now. I'm hoping for at least a 7.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@stwainfan said:
    A upgrade on the last card of this all-time great.

I have one of those at PSA right now. I'm hoping for at least a 7.

Hope you get it.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    Have not had many pc pickups this month. Did get a 3 card sub back. Mixed results 2 ultra modern with 1 Vintage. The Vintage was as expected or better (seems harsh grading as of late on vintage stuff.) and the ultra modern I was disappointed with.

Here are the scans of the results

hey rexvos,
    Oh Yeah... :)

• Options

At first was thinking 10s but now thinking more like 10s on a good day and 9s on a bad day and expect the bad day. Liked the left to right but measured top to bottom as 55 45. The PSA site says a PSA 10 can be 55 45 or even 60 40 but does not feel those are as common these days. I can live with 9s

Thoughts? 9s or 10s? Thanks

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this over the weekend on COMC. MVP Year, Jersey #'d 5/50, Team color match...checked a lot of boxes for me for very little cost! Do I hate that he is gone from the Braves...yes! Do I hate that he is in LA...No! He is a class act and true professional! I will continue to happily add specific cards of his to my humble collection as they surface!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy how far prices have fallen on 85 Marios. That card is 60%+ off peak.

I need to find a nice 9.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Crazy how far prices have fallen on 85 Marios. That card is 60%+ off peak.

I need to find a nice 9.

PayPal shareholders wish it was that good.