Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The June 2022 Pickups Thread

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fortunate, ecstatic and still pretty stunned that my June starts with a major get for my collection. Granted, this card isn't the perfect copy. However, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find this card raw, in the wild and in a non descript auction that ended mid afternoon on Memorial Day. This is the major card from a major brand and one that can be really tough to find without having to sell a loved one to acquire it. They're very condition sensitive which is to be expected with a hand cut card off the back of a box of gum. Many were beat up before they left the shelf and most cut jobs were so-so at best; in my estimation, kids either really sucked with scissors or maybe they had terrible scissors in the 1950's but most look like Stevie Wonder did the cutting! As a result, finding the full card is pretty tough as is the condition sensitivity an issue. Well, the condition is low grade which has never scared me but I think the size would be 'full card' by any reasonable estimation since there's some dashes along all four borders. I'm also guessing Kevin Nolan really loved this card and for a little extra fun I like to imagine him being the original owner, just a town or two away from me, oddly enough, and thrilled with pulling this beauty off the shelf to try some new gum and finding his favorite player on the back of the box, in near 3x5 size. A fantastic start to my collecting month and an all time great card as I think this will be just the 135th copy graded by PSA…and therefore it is a massive snag for my master set...

1959 Bazooka - Hand Cut - Mickey Mantle

Let's see your great pickups, CU!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I'm fortunate, ecstatic and still pretty stunned that my June starts with a major get for my collection. Granted, this card isn't the perfect copy. However, never in my widest dreams did I think I would find this card raw, in the wild and in a non descript auction that ended mid afternoon on Memorial Day. This is the major card from a major brand and one that can be really tough to find without having to sell a loved one to acquire it. They're very condition sensitive which is to be expected with a hand cut card of the back of a box of gum. Many were beat up before they left the shelf and most cut jobs were so-so at best; in my estimation, kids either really sucked with scissors or maybe had terrible scissors in the 1950's. So the full card is pretty tough as is the condition. Well, the condition is loew grade which has never scared me and I think the size would be 'full card' by any reasonable estimation since there's some dashes along all four borders. I'm guessing Kevin Nolan really loved this card and for a little extra fun I'd like to imagine him being the original owner just a town or two away from me, oddly, enough, thrilled with pulling this beauty off the shelf to try some new gum and finding his favorite player on the back of the box, in near 3x5 size. A fabtastic start to my collecting month and an all time card - this will be just the 135th copy graded by PSA and is a massive snag for my master set.

1959 Bazooka - Hand Cut - Mickey Mantle

Let's see your great pickups, CU!!!

hey 51Wheaties,
    It looks like your wildest dreams came true... :)
    and let's hope that I can post some new June bugs here soon... :)

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Picked up this one for some October ink. Enough room at the top for a nice signature.

hey Goldenage,
    I dig your 4 in 1, that's pretty cool... :)

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Tim,

Love the 1959 Bazooka Mantle, even though it is low grade. I think that is one of the best looking of all Mantle cards. And, they are relatively hard to find.

David

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 3:58PM

@judgebuck said:
    Tim,

Love the 1959 Bazooka Mantle, even though it is low grade. I think that is one of the best looking of all Mantle cards. And, they are relatively hard to find.

David

David,

Thank you! Hope all is well on your end, I have been meaning to check in with you.

This card is really special to me. It’s a real arms length beauty (see the pic, as opposed to scan, below) and with the way I got it and it’s connection to NJ, I’m not going to touch it. Initially, I gave serious consideration to putting four nice edges on it but it’s just fun as is; aside from the rubber banding damage it’s the rare full dimension card and I’d really prefer it in a PSA 1 (MK) holder to AUTH since it’s not altered just beat up. And once it’s in a PSA holder, at arms length or up on a shelf, I know it’s going to be just a stunning looking relic of the fabulous fifties…one it looks like the original owner enjoyed immensely. 😎

ETA: I’d obviously use the scan in a listing but I also think that sometimes a scan is just too hard on a card’s looks. At a mild distance away (one foot above) and with my phone, I think the picture of this card displays, really nicely, something closer to what your eye sees prior to a closer inspection…

…where the card displays a PSA 1 (MK) or AUTH attributes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

Great kershaw

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Mantle is awesome.
    Love the kid who puts his name and addy on the back

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

My June is starting off with a womp womp womp. I scour the Amazon Warehouse section for deals and have had a lot of great finds. Try to find used like new with no mention of damaged packaging (they are SUPPOSED to mention any and all things like that) and spotted a wrestling figure I didn't have.

So here is a used like new with no damage mentioned:

And after some bending the backing card so it would lay mostly flat and some good ol Elmer's purple glue stick, was able to get it sorta okay looking.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    My first Cy Young card and from The Black Swamp Find.

I find it interesting that for your first Cy Young you chose a card that doesn’t actually picture Cy Young. It’s a beautiful card. Did the condition and age and override that for you or was there something else that attracted you to the card, like it being an erroneous picture on what was likely supposed to be a card that picture Cy Young?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet Hank Aaron…ScoobyDoo
    2!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning Cy Young…Chris!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@graygator - mainly condition and age. Whether it is this Cy/Irv card or a Cobb etc, I find it fascinating that a 100+ year old card survived in this condition. My plans are to keep this card and my daughter will get it someday along with alot of others.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Morgan OPC. I almost jumped on that card. Great purchase.

• Options
    Mikeygiggs_336699Mikeygiggs_336699 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Beautiful Morgan OPC. I almost jumped on that card. Great purchase.

Thanks I needed that card for my OPC rookie HOF collection. The seller also had a 6 but this one had better centering. Another seller who I know very well was selling the Morgan PSA 8 OPC for much higher than I paid for my copy.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

1995 AL MVP, 3x All-Star, Silver Slugger, RBI Leader, Red Sox HOF, Lefty with some massive power, Part of the Mitchell Report...

For your viewing pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6lkoKncRA

• Options

@CWUCAT62 said:
    “You wanted the best! Now you got the best! The hottest band in the world! KISS! “
    Picked up my first KISS unopened wax pack for the PC. Glad to have it.

I hear my song playin' on the radio It goes...
    hey CWUCAT62,
    That's cool... :)

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    1995 AL MVP, 3x All-Star, Silver Slugger, RBI Leader, Red Sox HOF, Lefty with some massive power, Part of the Mitchell Report...

For your viewing pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6lkoKncRA

*Stolen 1995 MVP. Albert Belle had the first (and to date only) 50 2B/50 HR season, in a strike shortened season no less, for the team that was clearly the class of the league. But Vaughn did lead the league in …RBI and Strikeouts, so there is that.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 said:

Now we’re talkin!! Nice!!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While I normally write long and descriptive posts, I’ve been rendered speechless…

hey 51Wheaties,
    Yep your Red Heart <3 is beyond Awesome... :)

• Options
    Mikeygiggs_336699Mikeygiggs_336699 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    These two cards were SGC crackouts. Both cards came back the same grade. Recently back from PSA. Always a little nervous when removing from holder hoping to not cause any damage.

Nice looking Lemieux! wouldn't look out of place in a 10 holder.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

@JBrules said:
    These two cards were SGC crackouts. Both cards came back the same grade. Recently back from PSA. Always a little nervous when removing from holder hoping to not cause any damage.

Nice looking Lemieux! wouldn't look out of place in a 10 holder.

Thanks. It is certainly a very nice looking 9.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    An eBay purchase. A 2 item lot of faux Topps advertising signs. Printed directly on the wood, with a sturdy wood frame and unattached hooks for hanging. The photos don't indicate it, but the 50s sign is the larger of the two, measuring 13" x 25.5", and the 60s sign measures 11.5" x 25.5". Don't know the reason for the size discrepancy other than possibly because of the configuration of 8 sets vs 10 sets. I'm guessing they weigh roughly 4-5 lbs. each.

hey countdouglas,
    Oh Yeah! Cool purchase... :)

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdougIas

Shabby shore?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    @countdougIas

Shabby shore?

Yes