Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The June 2022 Pickups Thread

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Centauri said:

@NGS428 said:
    1995 AL MVP, 3x All-Star, Silver Slugger, RBI Leader, Red Sox HOF, Lefty with some massive power, Part of the Mitchell Report...

For your viewing pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6lkoKncRA

*Stolen 1995 MVP. Albert Belle had the first (and to date only) 50 2B/50 HR season, in a strike shortened season no less, for the team that was clearly the class of the league. But Vaughn did lead the league in …RBI and Strikeouts, so there is that.

I would have gone for Johnson or, if you don't believe pitchers should be MVPs, Martinez. Funny thing is that John Valentin had very similar offensive value to Vaughan, but played an excellent shortstop while Vaughn played a good (by far the best of his career) first base. Far, far more deserving ov the gold glove than Vizquel.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    heres a scan of some of those cards i got from the blaster boxes .

hey slimies,
    Pretty cool AJ... :)

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@slimies said:
    heres a scan of some of those cards i got from the blaster boxes .

hey slimies,
    Pretty cool AJ... :)

thanks .

• RoflesRofles Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@Rofles said:
    @countdougIas

Shabby shore?

Yes

Awesome!! They look so cool, I lasts go back n forth on the Cracker Jack art!

• CentauriCentauri Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Centauri said:

@NGS428 said:
    1995 AL MVP, 3x All-Star, Silver Slugger, RBI Leader, Red Sox HOF, Lefty with some massive power, Part of the Mitchell Report...

For your viewing pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6lkoKncRA

*Stolen 1995 MVP. Albert Belle had the first (and to date only) 50 2B/50 HR season, in a strike shortened season no less, for the team that was clearly the class of the league. But Vaughn did lead the league in …RBI and Strikeouts, so there is that.

I would have gone for Johnson or, if you don't believe pitchers should be MVPs, Martinez. Funny thing is that John Valentin had very similar offensive value to Vaughan, but played an excellent shortstop while Vaughn played a good (by far the best of his career) first base. Far, far more deserving ov the gold glove than Vizquel.

Edgar Martinez was such a beast. Glad to see he finally got his recognition. Not better than Belle in ‘95, but for damn sure better than Mo freaking Vaughn.

@Kid4hof03 said:
    A few odds and ends for some projects I'm working on

hey Kid4hof03,
    Outstanding...Keep those projects going... :)

@paulb71 said:

hey paulb71,
    Pretty cool on your unopened slabs... :)

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    Single card mail day. I have the base version and "accidentally" purchased the rarer gold version awhile back because someone posted it as a base one. honestly, I didn't even realize there were multiple color variations. these light blue versions have an estimated print run of 20 or less, the gold is around the same give or take. I hate taking scans with the lid up, but without doing it, these stained glass acetate cards all look dark. This light blue is the only PSA graded copy and until it was posted, I had no idea it even existed. never seen another one so I had to have it.

Thanks for the info. I love the stained glass cards. Do the color variations continue throughout the years or just for that year?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    A few odds and ends for some projects I'm working on

great looking cards i really like the football cards.

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Another figure from Amazon warehouse being described as used very good: Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

As I had bought a different one previously I kinda figured it would be in great shape with the packaging having fell apart and sure enough that is what arrived and after using the miracle glue again a nice presentable piece of crap for my collection. :D

And with the other one.

Whatever they used to adhere the bubble to the packaging has been a complete failure with all the 1 star reviews on this product. Somewhere along the way tape has been used to attach them which also has failed but when they come up in the warehouse for a couple bucks it's an easy fix for display purposes.

And another bust on eBay purchasing records. Bid on a lot of 40 albums of old stuff and was the only bidder. Lot described as excellent used condition. Covers looked super clean. Total with shipping $13.93.

Wait, wait, wait, and today I decide to look a little further into the feedback and see a couple negatives of people winning and items being canceled and needing to find something to do I decided to go wash my car in the rain (saves on water), get done and check email and see I have one that says Your cancellation request has been declined which is funny because I didn't make any request and another email followed with you have a refund. Check on eBay and see sellers reason is out of stock or damaged.

I did contact the seller and they say they looked them over and they were all scratched and sorry, didn't want a bad review.

I have my opinion on what happened but oh well, win some, lose some.

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Just won this one last night and looked pretty good and better than the grade so I pulled the trigger.

Sure looks pretty darn nice for a 5. Centering looks good. Color and image as well. Wonder what all made it that grade?

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Just won this one last night and looked pretty good and better than the grade so I pulled the trigger.

That's a beauty. I have that as a PSA 5 and it's nowhere near that condition.

Wow, what a nice hit on that set. Congrats!

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Bosox1976 said:
    From the recent Memory Lane auction, looks like a new summer project… a nice mid grade partial set with some multiples.

hey Bosox1976,
    Awesome 61's... :)

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    Going through these now - lots of stars not shown in the auction - very pleased with this lot

Man, the photo of Aaron in that set has always been my favorite of any card. Just love it.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:

@KendallCat said:

Sure looks pretty darn nice for a 5. Centering looks good. Color and image as well. Wonder what all made it that grade?

Thank you for the note and not sure yet - once I get it in hand with a loupe I will see why it is only a 5. SGC has been harsh lately with grades.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 7:10AM

@Rofles Wow…still posting these scary pictures!!!

So I guess I’ll buy in (a little!!)… Is this set composed only of base cards? How many in the set? And are there subsets? If so, what are their numbers as well? Do you have pictures you can share of each kind as well?

Keep in mind … I am going to have trouble looking at them!!!

Thanks….(enjoyed the post!)

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Then, my allocation sub was returned and I still am just so happy with the grades and pleasantly surprised. Had lowered expectations based on what I was hearing and some of what I saw come back on my old sub but this blew past expectations.

>

Great Metazoo Bigfoot!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

@paulb71 said:

hey paulb71,
    dig that Battle Star Galactica grocery wax tray...That's pretty cool... :)

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Couple more pickups for the collection of my favorites - Bench and Teddy Ballgame.

Teddy only gets a "3"? Is there something not showing up on the scan
    that would warrant the grade? The reverse maybe?

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@dictoresno said:
    Single card mail day. I have the base version and "accidentally" purchased the rarer gold version awhile back because someone posted it as a base one. honestly, I didn't even realize there were multiple color variations. these light blue versions have an estimated print run of 20 or less, the gold is around the same give or take. I hate taking scans with the lid up, but without doing it, these stained glass acetate cards all look dark. This light blue is the only PSA graded copy and until it was posted, I had no idea it even existed. never seen another one so I had to have it.

Thanks for the info. I love the stained glass cards. Do the color variations continue throughout the years or just for that year?

2012 was just base and short print purple
    2013 was base and SP gold and light blue

not sure about any other years

myslabs.to/smzcards

@Tibor said:

@KendallCat said:
    Couple more pickups for the collection of my favorites - Bench and Teddy Ballgame.

That Teddy Williams is a beauty! Does it have some hidden crease we can't see?

I would say that sucker should be broken out of that SGC case and regraded with PSA.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Tibor said:

@KendallCat said:

That Teddy Williams is a beauty! Does it have some hidden crease we can't see?

I would say that sucker should be broken out of that SGC case and regraded with PSA.

Thank you. Should have it in hand on Wednesday and will check it out.

KC

@PaulMaul said:
    Another nice wrapper pickup….

hey PaulMaul,
    Pretty cool 64 wax wrapper... :)

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2022 8:02PM

picked up a small carton of vintage , game used , and signed baseball , football and hockey cards for $60 at flea market .. too many cards to scan em all but ill post a pick of it as soon can if camera stops acting up . box also came with holders but am unsure how many yet am still going through it all.