Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The June 2022 Pickups Thread

124»

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    I just picked this up in a Facebook raffle for $100.

Facebook raffle?

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    I just picked this up in a Facebook raffle for $100.

hey BJY83,
    For the win...That's a score... :)

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    LCS pickup back from Florida.

That's a beautiful 7! I love collection TMs, and finding high grades are tough.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This one is a very meaningful grab as it is the last one I needed to complete the run. I continue to be a huge fan of the series, including the originals, the newer ones, the newest ones, the TV miniseries, streaming series, major motion pictures, books, comic books and everything else that came from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Boba Fett - complete box

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Darth Vader - complete box

hey 51Wheaties,
    Boba Fett & Vader are pretty bad dudes...sometimes I'll call those two for help with my non-paying buyers... :)

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2022 11:30AM

Great Mantle pickup! What a steal!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    Lovin all the great additions that everyone is sharing.

And now, once again I drag this thread down a notch. Just had a local store wanting to get rid of their DVD/Blu-ray inventory (and also a box of cd's) so of course, I just HAD to go get them. I'll get a better count once I go thru all of them but roughly 500 for about 20 cents a piece.

Not sure where the pop tart I'll put them. :D

Edited to add: Well, sellers numbers were just a wee bit off. Did a count and 1,425 total titles (cd's not included) taking it down to around 7 cents each. One box nearly full of Anime, lots of multi discs sets, tv shows, etc. I have a large amount of physical media to begin with but glancing at these probably 70% of this stuff I didn't have. Next will start the lovely task of checking each disc visually and putting the bad ones aside. I spot checked a few and majority in really nice shape but I expect some will have enough damage they won't play. Can't complain at this price.

the wonders years? really. alias was not a bad show. also the badlands was good.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@flcardtrader said:
    Great pickups as always in this thread, here is mine and the story behind this recent pickup.

I picked up a couple of 87 Vending cases this week - life coming full circle!

In 1987 I was living on my own as a 20 year old and decided it would be a great idea to sell off my vintage and use the proceeds to fund a card company whose business model was based on breaking down $150 vending cases to 12 sets and sell each set for $20-$25 per set. At one point in my so-called-experienced mind (lol), I even had the thought that I might be able to parlay each break into a new set of cases that could be broken - the possibilities were endless in my new found money making idea!

So I did it. I gathered up all of my vintage - which included a 58 set, a 60 set, a ton of oversized 50's cards and the like from past to present. Condition was definitely suspect, however, I figured I had a boatload. Nope. Twenty minutes later the guy had acquired my collection for 5 crisp $100 bills. I wasn't happy as I felt my collection was worth multiples of that, however, I was confident that would be the seed money I needed to make the plan work.

A couple of days later, I drove to Haverhill, MA from Rhode Island to meet a dealer who had advertised vending cases. I walked out $300 lighter with two cases and felt on top of the world. 24,000 cards from 1987 and with the rookie crop, what could go wrong?? I quickly opened one of the cases with my girlfriend at the time and we started breaking it down. Box after box. Card after card. Set after set. Our apartment looked like a proof room in Duryea, PA it had so many stacks of cards in it.

We ended up making 11 sets from the case and had stacks of leftovers. I quickly changed my hat from production to marketing and put an ad in the Providence Journal announcing to the world that my sets were available @ $25 per and the best part - I would hand deliver to you! This was it, the time was now!!!!

I waited.
    I waited.
    I waited

Crickets would have been nice to hear, however, I heard a deafening silence.

Finally, an answer to my ad came three weeks after it began - I had made a sale.

That was the only sale I made that summer. Thankfully, I was raised by someone who taught me well so I scrapped my business plan and decided it was time to collect as a collector hoping one day to rebuild my vintage collection. To add a little salt on my bruised ego, my girlfriend broke up with me taking her stuff and leaving one day. She also decided it was in her right to take the other vending case that was purchased leaving me with the 1987 sets we collated.

Today, I am happy to report, I have not only re-built my collection but thanks to many a member on this board, have been able to exceed my ever loving dreams as a kid.

Oh, and I still have all of those 1987 Topps sets if anyone is looking for one :smiley:

Love the story! Thanks for sharing!

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    GOAT 3rd year card - won in an auction tonight for a decent price.

Nothing wrong with a nice mint GOAT.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 12:32PM

@threeofsix said:

@KendallCat said:
    GOAT 3rd year card - won in an auction tonight for a decent price.

Nothing wrong with a nice mint GOAT.

Mint jelly with a GOAT is even better

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    Nice mid-grade Schoendienst for my Red Heart collection, found on Ebay.

That’s a blazer. Wow!

Perfectly centered

@Chicago1976 said:
    Nice mid-grade Schoendienst for my Red Heart collection, found on Ebay.

hey Chicago1976,
    Nice red <3 ... :)

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 5:06PM

That is a beautiful 59 - wow!

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat appreciate it

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's

@hankcaddy said:
    Getting closer on my 71 team , need 4 more after this add on

hey hankcaddy,
    that's a nice one... :)

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I've had a busy month with work, but it's been a pretty good one with the collection as well.

hey Kid4hof03,
    Awesome pick up's -- love that 79 Cell-O...That's some fire right there... :)

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Not my first Topps Now card but the first one I've bought directly from them.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

This one is a very meaningful grab as it is the last one I needed to complete the run. I continue to be a huge fan of the series, including the originals, the newer ones, the newest ones, the TV miniseries, streaming series, major motion pictures, books, comic books and everything else that came from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Luke on a Tauntaun - complete box

There were just five, blank backed cards in the set and they were available on the various Hershey's candies and designed to be clipped and kept. While the cards are certainly nice looking, the eye appeal of the cards still intact and on the box is, to my eye's at least, out of this world and so the set was something I've worked on over the years trying to pick clean looking tabbed examples.

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Boba Fett - complete box

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - C3PO and R2-D2 - complete box

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Chewbacca - complete box

1980 Hershey's Empire Strikes Back - Darth Vader - complete box

What a rare and underrated set, nice work I believe there’s only one PSA 10 Boba fett rookie that has ever been graded.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies