Home Precious Metals
Options

PM Downward Slide??

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

It used to be a 1964 Roosevelt would get you a gallon of gas.....perhaps just inflation or maybe just gutter math. lol

There has never been enough silver in a thin dime to cover the cost of a gallon of gas and gas has never cost ten cents.

Makin' stuff up again?

Yes he is. Unfortunate that accuracy is thrown out the window. Gas was 21¢ in 1946.

In my field, inaccuracies like this will get you either injured or if you live, terminated.
    The guy is simply trolling and ignored.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    OPA
    A couple of years ago that Kennedy was $15. Gas was about $2.00

That's Seven and a half gallons of fuel. Now we've seen silver slide and gas rocket up and we're still at two and a half gallons.

It is beyond me how anyone has the audacity to call silver ' gutter'. Clearly talking their book or don't know which end is up. Sell me all the 64 Kennedy halves you have in stock at 18-20x face.

A great time to buy silver if you can manage the stiff premiums.

Yep Bi-Hi and sell low. Welcome to the gutter, where it's always a great time to be a buyer hopefully you never decide to sell. LOL

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

I always appreciate troll lol.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 6:43AM

nice breakdown there , thats full serve i bet check oil tires wash windows for a few pennies. and it could be 99 octane

green stamps maybe a set of glasses with put a tiger in your tank on them?

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 7:34AM

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is beyond me how anyone has the audacity to call silver ' gutter'. Clearly talking their book

This. And it does get tiresome.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:

@rcmb3220 said:

@ricko said:
    The dollar is super strong right now.... PM's down - for now. Hold on, do not panic - the tsunami is building.... ;) Cheers, RickO

It will be glorious when the SHTF

Glorious? It will be misery and despair... why would it be Glorious?

There already people having to choose between eating or affording fuel to work/take kids to school etc?

If the economy shits the bed... there will be nothing glorious about it. There will be death, misery and sorrow.
    People losing their homes....

Glorious why? Because you have some pm's and you are hedged? Or

There were a reported 22 suicides from the $LUNA/UST blowup.
    If the housing market goes how many?
    Diesel fuel goes to 10$ a gallon and then what?
    How will people afford to eat?

Please think what it means from a broader perspective for metals to spike.

Hedges are preservation of wealth not growth vehicles.

Glorious for people that have the chance to be right for the first time in 50 years.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 11:59AM

sooner the bottom is reached the sooner the climb back up can begin. . .something that should have been allowed in 2008 without FED intervention. Those intervention chickens are now coming home to roost. Who woulda thunk free money and cheap debt could cause so much mayhem - the conspiracy theorists here said it was coming. They were right once again. The smart ones have been stacking since 2008 when premiums were a nothing burger.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited May 19, 2022 6:40PM

@bronco2078 said:

nice breakdown there , thats full serve i bet check oil tires wash windows for a few pennies. and it could be 99 octane

Yup back when a 90% silver half yielded almost 5 gallons of gas, Now it yields less than 2.....Some bunker conspiracy peeps consider 50 years in the gutter an inflation hedging win. Crazy arsee world

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold, and to some extent, silver are money. Don’t value them against a fiat currency. If you do, you are missing the point of having them.

thefinn
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Gold, and to some extent, silver are money. Don’t value them against a fiat currency. If you do, you are missing the point of having them.

So your accumulation strategy is the same whether gold is $10K or $1K an ounce?

• Options
    edited May 20, 2022 5:52AM

@thefinn said:

Their value compared to a fiat currency is the ONLY reason to stack them.

Also, Dan, thanks for the timely research and the facts.

• Options

Funny, the troll comes onto a precious metals board and dazzles with his lack of understanding of precious metals.

My dad used to say, ' when you're in a hole- stop digging'

Yet he still lowballs his offers. Things must be slow at the stable.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2022 6:50PM

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yup back when a 90% silver half yielded almost 5 gallons of gas, Now it yields less than 2.....Some bunker conspiracy peeps consider 50 years in the gutter an inflation hedging win. Crazy arsee world

You are getting your math from the wrong source.

Since 1929, the lowest average USA gasoline price was 17 cents per gallon (in 1931).
    A half dollar would buy close to 3 gallons at that time.

But note that in 1931 a half dollar's intrinsic value was only 11 cents (silver was only 30 cents per troy ounce in 1931).
    The other 39 cents of value for a silver half dollar in 1931 was via government edict (fiat).
    So a troy oz of non-coin silver would buy about 1.75 gallons of gasoline in 1931.
    The equivalent silver content of a half dollar (in non-coin form) in 1931 would only buy 0.65 gallons of gasoline.

In mid-1967 silver went above $1.38 per troy oz for the first time, and has never gone below that since. At $1.38 per troy oz, a half dollar has exactly 50 cents of intrinsic value.

Since 1967, the lowest yearly average gasoline price was $0.33 per gallon (in 1967). At that time, a silver half dollar would buy about 1.5 gallons of gasoline.

Today, gasoline prices are at an all-time high. A silver half dollar will still buy about 2 gallons. A troy oz will buy more than 4 gallons.

So over a long time span silver has generally kept purchasing power in relation to gasoline.

But if you still think gasoline is a better investment, then maybe you could store hundreds of gallons of it in your basement ?

I own many monster boxes of XLE, it's up big this year. Gutter metal......not so much. :sunglasses:

• Options

Why do you guys keep picking on gutter metal ? I need them on my house.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

It used to be a 1964 Roosevelt would get you a gallon of gas.....perhaps just inflation or maybe just gutter math. lol

There has never been enough silver in a thin dime to cover the cost of a gallon of gas and gas has never cost ten cents.

Makin' stuff up again?

Doesn't take much to find times when this was true. Silver at $50 in 1980 when gas was around $1.15-$1.25/gall.
    A silver dime at 35x face value was $3.50. Would have bought gallons of gasoline. I'm sure there are other years as well in the late 1970's to early 1980's.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@roadrunner said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Makin' stuff up again?

Doesn't take much to find times when this was true. Silver at $50 in 1980 when gas was around $1.15-$1.25/gall.
    A silver dime at 35x face value was $3.50. Would have bought gallons of gasoline. I'm sure there are other years as well in the late 1970's to early 1980's.

Many times actually, some just don't like math to get in the way of the conspiracy. RGDS!

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

RoadRunner is in the house!!
    Good to have ya here!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver conundrum will be how to recoup the premiums being paid by buyers most recent

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 10:18AM

@Soldi said:
    The silver conundrum will be how to recoup the premiums being paid by buyers most recent

*Only to those that subscribe to some of the bs being handed out in this forum.

It takes a potential profit motive , along with gutsy speculators, a limited supply of a product, for it to show positive results
    No conundrums needed.

*Edited to change wording to: some.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2022 9:16AM

@Soldi said:

No conundrum. Those who wisely bought quality silver products at lower premiums continue to see their premium spread increase. I doubt we will see premiums subside, if at all, for a long long time. They will likely continue their rising climb. Very good chance that today's premiums will be tomorrow's bargain.

@OPA said:

@Soldi said:

Only to those that subscribe to all the bs being handed out in this forum.

Been some pretty good advice available on this forum. One in particular was the advice to buy ASEs and RCM 10 oz bars when premiums were less than $3 oz. Another was how to use paper silver products to provide profits to redirect to physical metal.

Current advice: buy the lows and switch to quality items where premiums are lower. I like the 10 oz Asahi bars and foreign mint 1 oz coins.

• Options

I would venture to guess that as the price of silver increases, the premiums will trend back towards spot. This can happen real fast if the bullion banks are forced to cover their positions with physical silver.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

any "force" to cover silver positions will be because of high physical demand and rising spot (and physical) prices. I doubt premiums will subside in such a scenario.

• Options

Once there is a real market, the premiums will eventually dissolve. Waiting for that real market has been the challenge, but the seller's revolt is winning, as evidenced by the premiums.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Lest we forget, rising premiums are the road to a real market. Spot and physical are currently separated. Divorce or reconciliation is the million dollar question. A divorce settlement will cripple and make irrelevant the futures market for silver. One can only wait and hope.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@ricko said:
    The dollar is super strong right now.... PM's down - for now. Hold on, do not panic - the tsunami is building.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Well, I’m pretty sure the SHTF already. With the price of gas and food along with shortages of simple commodities I’d say it’s here. Come on with the tsunami already😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@rcmb3220 said:

@ricko said:

Well, I’m pretty sure the SHTF already. With the price of gas and food along with shortages of simple commodities I’d say it’s here. Come on with the tsunami already😊

" Come on with the tsunami already😊"

And do what? Your silver is not going to protect you. Toilet paper might ;)

• Options

@OPA said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@rcmb3220 said:

@ricko said:

" Come on with the tsunami already😊"

And do what? Your silver is not going to protect you. Toilet paper might ;)

Yup butter and beans are more relevant than shiny "quality" trinkets. Hopefully one is stocked if the S really H's TF. RGDS!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Lots of folk very happy getting 3% -or more on some good ole USA Govt bonds- on 1 year paper right now.

Fabulous! That means they are only losing somewhere between 5% and 15% on their money, depending on whether or not you believe gov.com data.

Lol...

Those "worthless" dollars youve complained about buy a lot more assets today than a year ago..

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Those "worthless" dollars youve complained about buy a lot more assets today than a year ago..?

As compared to what? Other over-inflated currencies?

Apparently, food and gasoline don't figure into your equation, nor does housing affordability which is now around all-time lows.

I guess I could refer to you as "Ivory Tower Man"?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2022 11:46AM

@jmski52 said:
    Those "worthless" dollars youve complained about buy a lot more assets today than a year ago..?

As compared to what? Other over-inflated currencies?

Apparently, food and gasoline don't figure into your equation, nor does housing affordability which is now around all-time lows.

I guess I could refer to you as "Ivory Tower Man"?

I can buy more equities, more bonds, and more silver and platinum than a year ago.

Funny how folk dont see the loss.of purchasing power in their silver thats at the same price as 10 years ago., yet they complain about loss of dollar buying power. How daft must one be?

And BTW--- i am Under the Bridge Man. I guess you are "Bunker Man".

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 12:08PM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Lots of folk very happy getting 3% -or more on some good ole USA Govt bonds- on 1 year paper right now.

Fabulous! That means they are only losing somewhere between 5% and 15% on their money, depending on whether or not you believe gov.com data.

Lol...

Those "worthless" dollars youve complained about buy a lot more assets today than a year ago..

Except for necessities and every day essentials such as:

• Vehicles
    • Food
    • Housing
    • Energy/Utilities
    • Gasoline
    • The cost to borrow (interest rates) to pay for necessities.

History will show the benefactors of the decline in financial asset prices and the growth of hard asset prices to be those who sold the former at its highs and bought the latter at its lows. Unfortunately this group does not include most Americans who find themselves battling to pay drastically rising prices for necessities and every day essentials as a result of previous FED policy (Trillion$ injected into the money supply).

Its almost like a continuation program for the wealthy to cash in on a very profitable FED sponsored program (financial/paper assets boosted by easy money) that has run its course (the chickens have come home to roost) to turn around and buy into the next FED sponsored program (lower price hard assets that will provide more great returns).

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we should cool it off and stick with the subject line before we go too heavy on P

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my apology ….. wrong Thread 😖☹️😂

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 12:27PM

I didnt say the dollar buys more necessities. I said assets.

I sure hope you are right on hard assets increasing in value, we aint getting younger and want to spend our wealth.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 3:04PM

@cohodk said:

I brought up necessities because most Americans won't benefit from the FED's "round two" of continuing to enrich those with all the money. While the FED is reducing the amount of cheap money for these high rollers they are setting the stage for them to apply their financial asset profits (yes, they had advance notice) to the new game in town, under priced commodities and hard assets that will soon, if not already benefit from the ocean of cash that fear and greed has placed on the side lines.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I brought up necessities because most Americans won't benefit from the FED's "round two" of continuing to enrich those with all the money. While the FED is reducing the amount of cheap money for these high rollers they are setting the stage for them to apply their financial asset profits (yes, they had advance notice) to the new game in town, under priced commodities and hard assets that will soon, if not already benefit from the ocean of cash that fear and greed has placed on the side lines.

Let us know how the bunker barter gutter metal for necessities trade is faring?

My guess is not so well.

We were all wrong about gutters hedge against inflation, bunker insurance etc. You me and every other stacker. Sorry but its fact. You can try to spin it into ASEs RCM bars, APMEX advertised sell prices etc. Facts are facts. GD LCK!

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 4:08PM

Inflation is just beginning its long term carnage. PMs will respond accordingly. This does not happen overnight just because inflation says "boo..."

The primary reason for any delay in PM reaction is the misconception that the FED has everything under control. When reality sinks in PMs will move higher than you thought possible. If the FED were actually in control we would not be looking at a 40 yr high in inflation.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 yrs ago i was buying generic $20 gold liberty and saints for under, or just at a grand. Now they’re 2 grand, or just over ( if a seller is generous, or desperate). Both then, and now; they fly out the door.

As to stimulus…. on the first round i tried to get my daughters to buy $1200 in silver(70 oz). By the time a second check arrived I offered them $2200 for that (70 oz). ( Neither they or anyone took the offer)
    oddly, that 70 oz can be had for about $1600 today…… which is still higher than that first stimulus check.

going down ? gutter up !

• Options

In the 1990’s I filled a green PCGS box of 20 with PCGS OGH ( were not old but still green) type II 20’s. MS 60/61 (2’s started to get pricey) for around $500 +- a coin. I could have bought common in the $300’s.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    In the 1990’s I filled a green PCGS box of 20 with PCGS OGH ( were not old but still green) type II 20’s. MS 60/61 (2’s started to get pricey) for around $500 +- a coin. I could have bought common in the $300’s.

Imagine if you would of decided to stack nothing but those commons for the bunker hoard. You could have hundreds maybe thousands of them now (and perhaps you do). Woulda, coulda, shoulda. CNGRTS!

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 5:47PM

@blitzdude said:

@JimTyler said:

Imagine if you would of decided to stack nothing but those commons for the bunker hoard. You could have hundreds maybe thousands of them now (and perhaps you do). Woulda, coulda, shoulda. CNGRTS!

I don’t 😢 one of many “if only“ . Thing is I’m not rich and when I had a prize like my $50 octagon territorial or my 1889-cc PCGS MS62 Morgan or my box of 20 type II green holder $20’s it took most everything I had for collecting. I would of had to stop the hunt. That would last awhile then I would want to play again.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The metals now seem to be changing course. Up until the last week or so, the metals have been losing ground right along with the stock market. One common explanation was that investors were selling their metals to cover their stock losses.

But today... the stock market falling again... but metals are making a strong move upwards. Are we now seeing the flight to inflation hedging in the metals?

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    The metals now seem to be changing course. Up until the last week or so, the metals have been losing ground right along with the stock market. One common explanation was that investors were selling their metals to cover their stock losses.

But today... the stock market falling again... but metals are making a strong move upwards. Are we now seeing the flight to inflation hedging in the metals?

For a day anyway. Nobody knows what happens even as soon as this time tomorrow

I've got trainwreck of red all over the place that I can't even look at right now but gains in other places. Diversification certainly seems to be the key. I'll stay the course and stick to my plan. So long as I'm breathing I still have the Pharm. RGDS!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

But remember when the price of silver was $12 , a couple of years ago ?

When it's discounted,...

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    But remember when the price of silver was $12 , a couple of years ago ?

When it's discounted,...

Yes, I remember it well. Although it was only for a brief moment. I also remember silver touching $50 ,11 years ago. Once again, timing in plunging in & getting out is a driving force.

• Options

@OPA said:

timing in plunging in & getting out is a driving force.

Best done more quickly with paper silver products such as ETFs and miner stocks.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 9:22AM

There is a tremendous amount of investor capital out there and it is looking for a place to put it. It just moves from one venue of commerce to another, one asset class to another. In the last ten years the wealth effect has increased that capital several times over. And as prices of investor 'vehicles' have multiplied, investor choices have dwindled.
    PM's have always cycled. Today is no exception.
    Gold, About the only asset with little to no counterparty risk.

If gold isn't your cup of tea maybe try Bitcoin, twitter, yelp, Uber, meta, rare wine, art.

Have a nice day