Crackout gone horribly wrong

Options
UtahCoin
UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some vouchers I had to use up so I took a shot at a possible upgrade on this 16 D G 06. I've seen worse get a VG

Four months later this is what I get back.

Original slab

I gambled, I lost. I admit that when I first bought the coin in the original slab, I didn't spend much time thinking it might be counterfeit, after all, it was in a PCGS holder and the Cert number was legit.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
«1345

Comments

  • asheland
    asheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • grote15
    grote15 Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Oh man, that's a gut punch. Sorry to hear this.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • WAYNEAS
    WAYNEAS Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    WOW!
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • lilolme
    lilolme Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Yes it happens. Not often. I know someone who years ago cracked a dollar and it came back tooled (on the wings I think it was).

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=OwZlYz2V4AM Sophie Lloyd, guitar shred cover Paranoid (Black Sabbath)

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fbEW8BrNctI Haley Reinhart, Don't Know How To Love You Live (direct to record)

    RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • edgar
    edgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    wow! I wonder what the results of a reconsideration submission would have been.

    (l8-)>>

  • Herb_T
    Herb_T Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 12:18PM
    Options

    I feel your pain!

  • OAKSTAR
    OAKSTAR Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • erwindoc
    erwindoc Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Did you call customer service on that one? Clearly the same coin.

  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Yep

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • ifthevamzarockin
    ifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Wow! That sucks! :/

  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @erwindoc said:
    Did you call customer service on that one? Clearly the same coin.

    Several times. Kevin, the 1st customer service rep I spoke with agreed that it was the same coin. But the powers that be said, "Too bad, it's out of the slab. No way to be sure it's the same coin."

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • sumdunce
    sumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    OMG. I am speechless...

  • OAKSTAR
    OAKSTAR Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @UtahCoin said:

    @OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Yep

    I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

    I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • SurfinxHI
    SurfinxHI Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @UtahCoin said:

    @OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Yep

    I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

    I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

    That's not the way it works.

    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @UtahCoin said:

    @OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Yep

    I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

    I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

    They know who the graders are, and they still work there, but they won't divulge names. It was graded originally 6 years ago.

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • alaura22
    alaura22 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

  • MWallace
    MWallace Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I feel for you. I really do.

  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @DisneyFan said:
    "Coins Removed From PCGS Holders. The PCGS Guarantee does not apply to coins removed from PCGS holders. There are no exceptions to this policy. You remove a coin from a PCGS holder at your risk."

    Terrible; but, thanks for the warning! No crackouts for me.

    Right. As I said before, I gambled and lost. I had hoped the picture would help my case.

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    3 daughters at 3 different universities, kinda needed the $$

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Onastone
    Onastone Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Sorry to see that. From Good to Fake and no turning back.

  • braddick
    braddick Posts: 25,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I am sorry for your loss. That is terrible! I am perplexed as to why you thought it would upgrade to a VG08 with the reverse rim wear.

  • OAKSTAR
    OAKSTAR Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    So if it got past PCGS the first time, I'm wondering if it would get past NGC or ANACS??

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • alaura22
    alaura22 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    After the fact doesn't help but why didn't you just send it in for reconsideration?

  • CaptHenway
    CaptHenway Posts: 34,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    You made the original submission?

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Stingray63
    Stingray63 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options

    Ouch! I can't imagine. So sorry to hear.
    I watched a few videos on You Tube on crackouts and after seeing the mixed results I'm just not willing to try it to cross grade from one TPG to another. I did once resend in 3 coins for reconsideration from an initial submission of mine and all 3 were upgraded. Did you actually crack it out first or send in the slab for reconsideration?

    Pocket Change Inspector

  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @alaura22 said:
    After the fact doesn't help but why didn't you just send it in for reconsideration?

    I've never trusted that.

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @CaptHenway said:
    You made the original submission?

    No.

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • UtahCoin
    UtahCoin Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @CaptHenway said:
    You made the original submission?

    No.> @CaptHenway said:

    That mint mark is so obviously (to me) bad I wonder if the original slab was genuine?

    I've got the remnants of the slab and the original insert. It all checks out. PCGS admits that.

    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • LanceNewmanOCC
    LanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • OAKSTAR
    OAKSTAR Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @UtahCoin said:

    @OAKSTAR said:

    @UtahCoin said:

    @OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

    Yep

    I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

    I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

    They know who the graders are, and they still work there, but they won't divulge names. It was graded originally 6 years ago.

    I wouldn't expect them to divulge the graders name but that guy needs a timeout with remedial training!

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • Maywood
    Maywood Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    This is why it's called the "crack-out-game" by so many collectors, that is exactly what it is.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety," --- Benjamin Franklin

  • TurtleCat
    TurtleCat Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @UtahCoin said:

    @alaura22 said:
    After the fact doesn't help but why didn't you just send it in for reconsideration?

    I've never trusted that.

    Just curious why? Or why not try regrade?

  • PerryHall
    PerryHall Posts: 47,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    It will be interesting what PCGS will do when they open on Monday. Will they post a response, or will they ignore it and let it run its course, or will they close it or delete it without comment?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • robkool
    robkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    YIKES !!! Can't believe it even made it in the holder to begin with. Luckily for me several years ago, I tried crossing it from an old white ANACS VG08, but it downgraded to PCGS G06 Not happy with the downgrade. I never attempted to crack out the coin tho.

  • alaura22
    alaura22 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @robkool said:
    YIKES !!! Can't believe it even made it in the holder to begin with. Luckily for me several years ago, I tried crossing it from an old white ANACS VG08, but it downgraded to PCGS G06 Not happy with the downgrade. I never attempted to crack out the coin tho.

    Was this your coin at one time? Or are you speaking of a different coin

  • robkool
    robkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    .> @alaura22 said:

    @robkool said:
    YIKES !!! Can't believe it even made it in the holder to begin with. Luckily for me several years ago, I tried crossing it from an old white ANACS VG08, but it downgraded to PCGS G06 Not happy with the downgrade. I never attempted to crack out the coin tho.

    Was this your coin at one time? Or are you speaking of a different coin

    Different coin that I currently own.

  • robkool
    robkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • edgar
    edgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @alaura22 said:
    OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

    He got gold shield' I would expect they detect a resubmit?

    (l8-)>>

  • cameonut2011
    cameonut2011 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 1:44PM
    Options

    @airplanenut said:

    @cameonut2011 said:
    Not to pour salt in the wound, but the mint mark does look very suspect. This is why collectors need to think and learn for themselves with a Reganesque “trust but verify” approach.

    With that said, I am so sorry for your loss. I would have hoped the grading company would have stepped up to the plate especially given that it is not a huge amount of money for such a large company to eat.

    But here’s the flip side: once they do this one time, where do they draw the line in the future? There will be other similar cases (not many, but likely not 0). There will be cases worth much more money. Some worth less. Some with better photographic evidence. Others with worse. They have a very clear policy, and if they go around it once, it opens up a can of worms in the future. Someone is always able to send the coin in in the original holder and maintain the protection and guarantee it affords.

    I know and your reasoning is sound. It just seems like this would be a very infrequent event and if it makes only a relatively small percentage of incoming revenue in aggregate, it seems that reputation would be worth it to pay off as many of these claims as possible. The coin really isn’t borderline and it isn’t like a change in recognition in its status (e.g. micro O Morgan dollars). The coin is, to be frank, an embarrassment to those that let it slip by.

  • Steven59
    Steven59 Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Wow! I've never seen an originally PCGS graded coin then come back as a counterfeit before.

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file