Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crackout gone horribly wrong

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some vouchers I had to use up so I took a shot at a possible upgrade on this 16 D G 06. I've seen worse get a VG

Four months later this is what I get back.

Original slab

I gambled, I lost. I admit that when I first bought the coin in the original slab, I didn't spend much time thinking it might be counterfeit, after all, it was in a PCGS holder and the Cert number was legit.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, that's a gut punch. Sorry to hear this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it happens. Not often. I know someone who years ago cracked a dollar and it came back tooled (on the wings I think it was).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

wow! I wonder what the results of a reconsideration submission would have been.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 12:18PM

I feel your pain!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you call customer service on that one? Clearly the same coin.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep

Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That sucks! :/

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Did you call customer service on that one? Clearly the same coin.

Several times. Kevin, the 1st customer service rep I spoke with agreed that it was the same coin. But the powers that be said, "Too bad, it's out of the slab. No way to be sure it's the same coin."

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

OMG. I am speechless...

• Options

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep

I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep

I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

That's not the way it works.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep

They know who the graders are, and they still work there, but they won't divulge names. It was graded originally 6 years ago.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for you. I really do.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    "Coins Removed From PCGS Holders. The PCGS Guarantee does not apply to coins removed from PCGS holders. There are no exceptions to this policy. You remove a coin from a PCGS holder at your risk."

Terrible; but, thanks for the warning! No crackouts for me.

Right. As I said before, I gambled and lost. I had hoped the picture would help my case.

• Options

3 daughters at 3 different universities, kinda needed the $$

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see that. From Good to Fake and no turning back.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry for your loss. That is terrible! I am perplexed as to why you thought it would upgrade to a VG08 with the reverse rim wear.

peacockcoins

• Options

So if it got past PCGS the first time, I'm wondering if it would get past NGC or ANACS??

• Options

After the fact doesn't help but why didn't you just send it in for reconsideration?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

You made the original submission?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Ouch! I can't imagine. So sorry to hear.
    I watched a few videos on You Tube on crackouts and after seeing the mixed results I'm just not willing to try it to cross grade from one TPG to another. I did once resend in 3 coins for reconsideration from an initial submission of mine and all 3 were upgraded. Did you actually crack it out first or send in the slab for reconsideration?

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    After the fact doesn't help but why didn't you just send it in for reconsideration?

I've never trusted that.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

No.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

No.> @CaptHenway said:

That mint mark is so obviously (to me) bad I wonder if the original slab was genuine?

I've got the remnants of the slab and the original insert. It all checks out. PCGS admits that.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep

They know who the graders are, and they still work there, but they won't divulge names. It was graded originally 6 years ago.

I wouldn't expect them to divulge the graders name but that guy needs a timeout with remedial training!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why it's called the "crack-out-game" by so many collectors, that is exactly what it is.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin said:

@alaura22 said:

I've never trusted that.

Just curious why? Or why not try regrade?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting what PCGS will do when they open on Monday. Will they post a response, or will they ignore it and let it run its course, or will they close it or delete it without comment?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

YIKES !!! Can't believe it even made it in the holder to begin with. Luckily for me several years ago, I tried crossing it from an old white ANACS VG08, but it downgraded to PCGS G06 Not happy with the downgrade. I never attempted to crack out the coin tho.

• Options

@robkool said:
    YIKES !!! Can't believe it even made it in the holder to begin with. Luckily for me several years ago, I tried crossing it from an old white ANACS VG08, but it downgraded to PCGS G06 Not happy with the downgrade. I never attempted to crack out the coin tho.

Was this your coin at one time? Or are you speaking of a different coin

• Options

.> @alaura22 said:

@robkool said:

Was this your coin at one time? Or are you speaking of a different coin

Different coin that I currently own.

• Options
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

He got gold shield' I would expect they detect a resubmit?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 1:44PM

@airplanenut said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Not to pour salt in the wound, but the mint mark does look very suspect. This is why collectors need to think and learn for themselves with a Reganesque “trust but verify” approach.

With that said, I am so sorry for your loss. I would have hoped the grading company would have stepped up to the plate especially given that it is not a huge amount of money for such a large company to eat.

But here’s the flip side: once they do this one time, where do they draw the line in the future? There will be other similar cases (not many, but likely not 0). There will be cases worth much more money. Some worth less. Some with better photographic evidence. Others with worse. They have a very clear policy, and if they go around it once, it opens up a can of worms in the future. Someone is always able to send the coin in in the original holder and maintain the protection and guarantee it affords.

I know and your reasoning is sound. It just seems like this would be a very infrequent event and if it makes only a relatively small percentage of incoming revenue in aggregate, it seems that reputation would be worth it to pay off as many of these claims as possible. The coin really isn’t borderline and it isn’t like a change in recognition in its status (e.g. micro O Morgan dollars). The coin is, to be frank, an embarrassment to those that let it slip by.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I've never seen an originally PCGS graded coin then come back as a counterfeit before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file