Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crackout gone horribly wrong

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two reasons I dip in Acetone every coin I get. One: fingerprints. Two: find added mintmarks.
    I too, bought and expensive coin only to find out the mint marks were added (CC). It fooled me, and it's my series, but PCGS was not fooled. I think I sold it here on the board for my grading fees: $25 or so, for educational reasons.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy 'o boy.
    Feel so bad for ya, buddy. Wow. I'm quite sure, this was the last thing on your mind to happen? Esp., like you said, it was safely in our host's plastic!
    This falls into the category of Murphy's Law. "What can happen will happen!"
    Sorry again, dude.
    :/

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I actually made it from the beginning to here. I think @CaptHenway got it right. The insert - and the coin - and the slab are/were counterfeit (or in the case of the slab, perhaps altered). If so, a cert verification is of little use. I had this happen to me back in 2010 on a 16-D Merc. The kind folks at PCGS told me they could tell instantly by the slight differences in the font. I would ask the PCGS customer service rep if PCGS can, will or did verify the insert you submitted with the coin was theirs (not counterfeit). Since you submitted the coin for grading, not the insert for authentication, this may be a dead end. But, if they confirm the original insert was counterfeit, then you know your original PCGS G06 was too. I guess the insert may be real, but I find the fake insert possibility to be much more likely than a PCGS grader missing the added D. My two cents.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:

@PerryHall said:
    Is it possible that someone took a real PCGS slabbed 1916-D dime, cracked out the dime, and then reused the original insert with a different shell, and then sealed a counterfeit coin in that slab. I've read here about unsealed slab shells occasionally getting out of PCGS and also being available from Chinese sellers. I'm not saying this is what happened here but is it possible?

definitely possible...but occam's razor says it was a mistake by pcgs.

The mintmark is so blatantly low that I could instantly tell it was a fake. My authentication and grading skills are good enough to get offers from the majors (Caveat; I'm nowhere near finalizer level), so I'm sure they'd pick this out from a mile away in hand. It has to be a fake slab.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It will be interesting what PCGS will do when they open on Monday. Will they post a response, or will they ignore it and let it run its course, or will they close it or delete it without comment?

They will Ignore and let it run it’s course. Feel good stories like this don’t effect companies like PCGS enough either way to bother with.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    That mint mark is so obviously (to me) bad I wonder if the original slab was genuine?

That’s a great point. We all assumed the slab was legitimate which is naive considering how obviously flawed the mint mark is.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:
    That mint mark is so obviously (to me) bad I wonder if the original slab was genuine?

That’s a great point. We all assumed the slab was legitimate which is naive considering how obviously flawed the mint mark is.

I'm afraid that if that slab is counterfeit, it's the best fake slab I've ever seen and it may just throw a lot of PCGS slabbed coins into doubt. Should it be counterfeit, and I do believe the OP mentioned PCGS thought it was genuine, it will be very hard to identify fakes of such quality. If PCGS itself can't tell the difference, I really wonder what will happen. Personally, I think the slab is genuine, with the exception of a "put together" slab from an unsealed slab shell and a crack out label. Either way, the same concerns remain.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@CaptHenway said:

I'm afraid that if that slab is counterfeit, it's the best fake slab I've ever seen and it may just throw a lot of PCGS slabbed coins into doubt. Should it be counterfeit, and I do believe the OP mentioned PCGS thought it was genuine, it will be very hard to identify fakes of such quality. If PCGS itself can't tell the difference, I really wonder what will happen. Personally, I think the slab is genuine, with the exception of a "put together" slab from an unsealed slab shell and a crack out label. Either way, the same concerns remain.

Genuine insert, fake coin, fake shell.

Buy coins with TV's if you're worried about it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons

Well of course TV's make it a lot easier, but a lot of PCGS coins don't have them. I'm not particularly worried but for new collectors this could raise issues. The question remains, is the OP slab a fake or not?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:

@alaura22 said:
    OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

He got gold shield' I would expect they detect a resubmit?

Unfortunately, the original slab was not a gold shield.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough deal my friend. Thanks for sharing a painful experience. It will save others from similar troubles.

The only people who routinely win at the crackout game are people with exceptional skills - those on par with the pros.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can go along with the possibility that a slab was opened and the coin switched.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very tough situation. No way PCGS would have missed the added MM. I believe the altered coin was swapped in somehow. The cert is most likely real. Such a bummer.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@edgar said:

@alaura22 said:
    OMG,
    Thinking of resubmitting it again?

He got gold shield' I would expect they detect a resubmit?

Unfortunately, the original slab was not a gold shield.

Agreed, but the bodybag appears to be. They likely captured the print/diagnostics/whatever in case of resubmit.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2022 4:18AM

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    No matter what happening on this thread, this kids face makes it easier. 👍🏻 👍🏻

This picture is of our youngest daughter Megan. She was born 2.5 months premature, a result of my wife's appendix bursting. 6+ weeks in NICU, diagnosed with a multitude of of afflictions including Cerebral Palsy. The brain scans showed damage to the left side of her brain. We were told she would have right side body weakness, may walk but would probably never run. School would be difficult, so we shouldn't expect much. Fortunately Megan didn't listen. She went on to become a 3 year varsity pole vaulter. She is also completing her Bachelors next month in Secondary Education. And to top it all off, she just married a very cool guy who is 6'5" 285 lbs. defensive end. And lastly, she has become a very successful model.

So, you have prior experience with the "experts" being wrong. ;)

I'd take that one win as an offset to a lifetime of losses of the kind being discussed in this thread, and then some.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    There are two reasons I dip in Acetone every coin I get. One: fingerprints. Two: find added mintmarks.
    I too, bought and expensive coin only to find out the mint marks were added (CC). It fooled me, and it's my series, but PCGS was not fooled. I think I sold it here on the board for my grading fees: $25 or so, for educational reasons.

There are also added MM's that are add through the rim which was the case with the 27-S nickel I mentioned.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@AUandAG said:

There are also added MM's that are add through the rim which was the case with the 27-S nickel I mentioned.

Yup. It's actually the edge rather than the rim. They drill a small hole in the edge and push up the mintmark using a special embossing tool. They then fill the hole and smooth it in an effort to hide their work. The mintmark won't have a seam like the typical glued on added mintmark.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@amwldcoin said:

@AUandAG said:

Yup. It's actually the edge rather than the rim. They drill a small hole in the edge and push up the mintmark using a special embossing tool. They then fill the hole and smooth it in an effort to hide their work. The mintmark won't have a seam like the typical glued on added mintmark.

Guess I shouldda said the 3rd side of the coin! :#

• Options

Quick look on THAT website finds two sellers selling PCGS shells. No PCGS stamps on them but I'd bet a lotta money if you bought some, contacted them, and asked, they'd make sure what you got had the stamps on them.

After you get the shells all you need is a sonic sealer, and those are easy enough to acquire.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    After you get the shells all you need is a sonic sealer, and those are easy enough to acquire.

Actually, crazy glue would work well enough to fool most people.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Crazy glue is a non-starter for those who have access to a black light.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:

How many collectors carry a black light with them when they go to a coin show so they can check the seams on the slabs they look at?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

Yep

I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

They can tell from the cert number when it was graded and who the graders and finalizer were. Hard to believe that all 3 or 4 could miss that. I'm no dime person, but is it correct that the MM was added?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The policy is clear. If you crack out the coin, it is no longer a PCGS verified coin. Yes, they may have erred initially, but there is no longer verifiable evidence. Once out, all is lost. Sad, but the policy is clear. Cheers, RickO

As HRH once said, "once it's out of the holder, all bets are off."

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

jmlanzaf....at least the date didn't fall off!

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:

How many collectors carry a black light with them when they go to a coin show so they can check the seams on the slabs they look at?

I know I don't. My suggestion is for those who care.
    A tiny keychain BL flashlight will do.

peacockcoins

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pics of the edge and Mint mark.
    FYI Around 2007, with PCGS's permission, I bought several Chinese counterfeit slabbed coins and sent them to Don (then president) at PCGS. I've had a fair amount of hands on experience with counterfeit slabs out of China. This was not a counterfeit slab.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2022 9:43AM

I’m sorry to read this. Scary too.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to dump salt in the wound but why'd you crack it rather than do a Reconsideration?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:

what does it show?

can crazy glue withstand a soaking in acetone?

• Options

@davewesen said:

@braddick said:

@PerryHall said:

@DelawareDoons said:

what does it show?

can crazy glue withstand a soaking in acetone?

It will glow under the light. Even in a bright room- like at a coin show- you will see the 'glow' of the glue.

peacockcoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2022 10:04AM

@MFeld said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@UtahCoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    So PCGS got it wrong the first time?

Yep

I wonder how long ago it was graded. You think the barcode would identify who the grader was?

I think they owe you a REAL 16-D for that mistake!! 😂 🤣

They know who the graders are, and they still work there, but they won't divulge names. It was graded originally 6 years ago.

I wouldn't expect them to divulge the graders name but that guy needs a timeout with remedial training!

It wouldn't have been just one grader who assessed the coin.

Okay, then 4 timeouts. And they should chip in and reimburse the submitter. But then again, this specimen was cheap tuition.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful personal story you shared!

Educational coin story you shared as well.

Three strikes on this?

Nah... my money is on some fakery

That said, one of my favorite ways to cherrypick is to look at graded Morgans and Buffs.

Walked away from a sure fire monster Buff at a major show in Atlanta over a decade ago. Common date buff in MS64/65 thinking "PCGS would not have missed that coin..."

Probably a $10K coin if I was right... still have nightmares.

Then I found a slabbed monster VAM about a year later

They miss there fair share of varieties and VAM's.

I remember some months ago a slabbed Indian Head cent that got picked but never mailed because of some happy dance alerted the dealer.

Certainly a different animal but I trust PCGS/NGC/ANACS would have caught this...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

Certainly a different animal but I trust PCGS/NGC/ANACS would have caught this...

As I understand it, if you don’t pay for the variety recognition it won’t be on the slab. And only one of the super duper easy ones would I guess they would “fix” it automatically such as someone accidentally putting the coin number for a 1955 regular cent but it’s clearly the doubled die.

• Options

@UtahCoin said:
    My final thoughts.
    1. After studying the MM and coin edge under a microscope, I'm now certain (99% anyway) that the "artist" went through the edge of the coin and created the D from within the coin.
    2. The original insert is genuine. The fonts, size and placement are right on.
    3. The holder. This part is scary, there were no indications that the holder had been pried opened or resealed. Which leads me to the conclusion that the slab was a high grade counterfeit and sonically sealed.

Where I went wrong.
    1. Since the coin was apparently in a PCGS holder, I let my guard down and didn't even consider it might be altered/counterfeit.

Final outcome.
    1. Had I left the coin in the slab for a regrade, PCGS would probably have caught it and declared the slab counterfeit/altered.
    2. The insert was 6 years old. This slab could have changed hands many times.

I'm just going to lick my wounds and move on, it's all I can do. It's not a total loss, still about a buck fifty worth of silver.

I think this thread is a lesson to a LOT of people to not trust the plastic so much, not just you. I'm sorry you had to pay the tuition for everybody else though.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin said:
    My final thoughts.
    1. After studying the MM and coin edge under a microscope, I'm now certain (99% anyway) that the "artist" went through the edge of the coin and created the D from within the coin.

Where I went wrong.
    1. Since the coin was apparently in a PCGS holder, I let my guard down and didn't even consider it might be altered/counterfeit.

An argument for having a CAC sticker? Even on a G06.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have it slabbed in one of those IGC "counterfeit" slabs. It does have some value as a high-end forgery, just not sure how much.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cnncoins said:
    jmlanzaf....at least the date didn't fall off!

That would have left you with an even more valuable error coin.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@UtahCoin said:
    My final thoughts.

Where I went wrong.

An argument for having a CAC sticker? Even on a G06.

Did you have to say it...

Lol

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

"More valuable error"? Based on the threads getting posted here, it appears they're all errors. A coin struck with no mistakes is what's rare.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

"More valuable error"? Based on the threads getting posted here, it appears they're all errors. A coin struck with no mistakes is what's rare.

Well, technically that's true. Not a lot of flawless 70s in the classic period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file