Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official "Bass Collection on display at ANA Headquarters to be sold" thread

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 13, 2022 10:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just got the press release from the ANA. Will remain on exhibit through June.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Was a great exhibit while it lasted!

• Options

What will the 1870-S $3 bring? I wish I had looked at it one last time while I was in Headquarters last week.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Anyone know who will auction it?

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed. TBD.

• Options

What can the ANA put in that room? Their 1804 dollars, 1913 Liberty Nickel, their 1933 $10.........

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... That should be an amazing sale.... I am sure they will not be ebay prices.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Donn Pearlman just said that John Dannreuther will help facilitate the sale. No auctioneer picked yet.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!! 🥳

Ken
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Sad to see it go, was always my favorite thing to look at when visiting the ANA museum.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

All things must pass.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is HUGE. I can't imagine what we will see for prices, especially in this market. It will be a "Pogue-Like" Sale. I have a feeling there will be a few lots where a bidder will leave their hand in the air until everyone else gives up. Definitely a once in a lifetime sale coming.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... the ONLY complete set of $3 gold pieces...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woah.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if ever there was a market into which to sell the only complete set of $3s, this is it. Should be a double nuclear white hot sale at the worst, most likely triple.

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I got the chance to see it a few years back.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    If it’s anything like the sale of the DeWitt political items sale, the prices realized won’t be to the moon; they will be in the next solar system.

... or next galaxy.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Tyrant can add 3$ gold to his collection? Should be a Great sale for someone, I'd just like to work the auction and see the action.

• Options
    gnuschlergnuschler Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

Aside from the 1870-S $3, the major rarities that I recollect include:

1854 "Type 1" $1 @ PF65

1796 "No Stars" $2.50 @ ???
    1804 "13 Stars" $2.50 @ AU58
    1808 $2.50 @ ???
    1831 $2.50 @ PF66

1820 $5 @ PF65 (or SP65)
    1821 $5 @ PF65
    1823 $5 @ MS67
    1825/1 $5 @ PF65
    1829 "Large Size" $5 @ PF67
    1829 "Small Size" $5 @ PF66

1795 "Nine Leaves" $10 @ MS64
    1804 $10 @ PF63
    1843 $10 @ PF65

1860 $20 @ PF67
    1907 "Extremely High Relief" $20 @ PF67

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder when the patterns might be sold off ?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it’s an opportunity for many to buy. At least it seems as if the money raised will go to a good cause. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to visit the ANA money museum.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Wow... the ONLY complete set of $3 gold pieces...

I'd like to see that stay intact for the most part, fwiw

• Options
    1peter12231peter1223 Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited April 13, 2022 2:53PM

@gnuschler said:
    Aside from the 1870-S $3, the major rarities that I recollect include:

1854 "Type 1" $1 @ PF65

1796 "No Stars" $2.50 @ ???
    1804 "13 Stars" $2.50 @ AU58
    1808 $2.50 @ ???
    1831 $2.50 @ PF66

1820 $5 @ PF65 (or SP65)
    1821 $5 @ PF65
    1823 $5 @ MS67
    1825/1 $5 @ PF65
    1829 "Large Size" $5 @ PF67
    1829 "Small Size" $5 @ PF66

1795 "Nine Leaves" $10 @ MS64
    1804 $10 @ PF63
    1843 $10 @ PF65

1860 $20 @ PF67
    1907 "Extremely High Relief" $20 @ PF67

The 1798 $5 Small Eagle Reverse .

The 1797 ( non overdate ) $5 Large Eagle .

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see that stay intact for the most part, fwiw

Well, it's going to come up for auction - get your checkbook out.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any word if they will be PCGS certified prior to sale? I hope they will.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

According to the release "Dannreuther will handle review and selection of an auction house and third-party grading service, along with other ancillary issues."

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similarly, I'd like to see the Smithsonian "deaccess" the Lilly Collection.

• Options
    gnuschlergnuschler Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

...or at least all of the damn duplicates, like the 1822 $5 or the 1858 $20 proof (to name two that come to mind).

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2022 11:01AM
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been blessed to see this collection twice in my life, and it was an experience I won't forget. Personally, when given a choice between seeing this collection or all five 1913 nickels, I'd take seeing the collection 10/10 times. It is too bad it's time is up, but I'm glad I got to see it.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

First chance to buy the 1870-S $3 in 40 years. Should be a blockbuster sale.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe one guy will try and buy the whole thing like the Pennsylvania Historical Society sale of the Baker Collection? :o

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Maybe one guy will try and buy the whole thing like the Pennsylvania Historical Society sale of the Baker Collection? :o

I’ll definitely try and I’ll definitely fail.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

Interesting thought. The PHS sale had a total sale price that was fairly manageable. Based on a previous thread, the total sale was a little over $2 million. Plenty of people could swing that sort of money, even if I'm not one of them.

The total sale price for the Bass collection will be higher than $2 million. The press release suggests a value of $50 million... and I think I'd take the "over" on that...

• Options

The 1870-S alone will beat the $2 mill. The question is by how much.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage Auctions announced Wednesday that it has been selected to offer one of the most revered and valuable rare-coin collections in numismatics history: The Harry Bass Core Collection. The historic assemblage of some of the rarest U.S. gold coins and die patterns is estimated to be worth more than $60 million, and proceeds from its sale will benefit the dozens of Dallas-based nonprofits supported by the Harry W. Bass Jr. Foundation with a particular emphasis on early childhood education and literacy in Dallas.

The collection, which the late Dallas oilman and philanthropist Harry W. Bass Jr. began assembling in the 1960s, has been on display at the American Numismatic Association's Edward C. Rochette Money Museum in Colorado Springs, Colo., since October 2000. Earlier this year, the foundation's trustees voted to sell the collection, which contains some 450 U.S. gold coins dating to the late 1700s, to increase its annual giving - from $2 million to at least $5 million each year, depending on the once-in-a-lifetime auction's final results.

"We've had to say no to so many deserving groups, and with the sale of this collection, we can now expand our funding and reach a lot more people,"says F. David Calhoun, executive director of the Harry W. Bass Jr. Foundation. "The pandemic has exposed how much need there is. It has been a very trying and challenging time for the nonprofit sector, especially in education, and it has magnified many times the needs of the underserved populations of Dallas."

In April, the foundation announced it would be removing its assemblage, which includes the only complete $3 gold coin collection, from the ANA museum and deaccessioning it to increase its philanthropic efforts in Dallas. The board of trustees hired Professional Coin Grading Service co-founder and numismatics expert John Dannreuther to manage the collection's sale, including selecting an auction house and third-party graders.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Will the 1870-S $3 straight grade?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Of course it will! Probably 2-3 grades higher than it should!

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended Summer Seminar in 2015. Ken Bressett was a co-instructor for the class. I asked him if he would give me his grade for one of the Bass coins. The next day of class, he gave me his grade, as well as the grade Abe Kosoff assigned to the coin. I will be watching to see the encapsulated grade.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

So many great coins in the collection! I'd love to get one of the pattern coins but I realize that my 401k value is no where near high enough. It's crazy how much that collection will go for.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@CaptHenway said:

How many rarity points is "unique" worth these days?

o:)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@amwldcoin said:

@CaptHenway said:

How many rarity points is "unique" worth these days?

o:)

The 33 Double Eagle garnered 4 IMHO!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 3:46PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    No collection is forever.

The Smithsonian, ANS, and ANA collections are essentially forever for most collectors.

But even some "museum" collections are disbursed like Historical Society of Pennsylvania's William Sphon Baker collection which is now mostly at the ANA thanks to @Dwight_M.

The idea of a collection being at a museum for 100 years is interesting.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gnuschler said:

@yosclimber said:

...or at least all of the damn duplicates, like the 1822 $5 or the 1858 $20 proof (to name two that come to mind).

An interesting thing is that the ANS and ANA have been selling their duplicates.

• Options

I know most everyone will get the same email announcement, but just for convenience here:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-certifies-rare-coins-from-harry-bass-jr-collection

• Options

Heritage has started to load some of the Bass Patterns (about 25 as of today) onto their site "Coming Soon" ...PCGS graded

Opening for bidding about Sept 9

• Options

I might be considered a little pickie ... i do not care for the PCGS Bass label - at least with the image as posted on the site to date ...does not photograph will like many of the other special PCGS pedigree labels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file