Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Tyrant Revealed!

After years of speculation regarding the identity of the collector that was not-so-secretly assembling one of the greatest collections of US and British gold (and patterns) ever, the identity of the 'Tyrant' of the Tyrant Collection has been revealed as Dan O'Dowd, Green Hills Software CEO, Dawn Project founder, and tech billionaire.

The news was dropped by the (UK) Telegraph this morning, though the article is paywalled: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/12/billionaire-tyrant-unveils-collection-coins-minted-every-english/

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is big news!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

At last... I have been wondering when this would finally be known. His 'assistant' posts here, and I had a short discussion with him once, but he never revealed the identity of Tyrant. No doubt his gold collection is the finest and most incredible assemblage of gold coins in history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great collection. I hope to see the exhibit again some day.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know when you have a totally awesome collection? When it's so big and beautiful you have to show "selections" at a major show like WFoM or NMS! And the rest of us get to see examples of the finest known of the best coins the US and many other mints have ever produced...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. I commend Mr. O'Dowd on an amazing collection, and am grateful for his generosity and meticulous effort in the selections and displays shown at the ANA last summer in Chicago. Studying the examples displayed was a highlight, and having the glossy booklet for future reference is wonderful. I remember admiring some of the coins knowing that I was standing in the realm of greatness for all of US Numismatics.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome. I’m glad he became public for provenance tracking!

The displays for his collection are amazing. It would be great for someone to offer similar displays for other collections.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for him and nice that he was not out there publicly beating his chest....
    As a side note I have often wondered if he and Hansen collude just a bit and agree not to compete on some coins where each would come to the fray with essentially unlimited budgets.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

It must be nice to know you can afford anything you want especially to be able to put together something like his collection and not have to worry about someone out bidding you, just go and get it because he wants it. It is truly a one-of-a-kind collection.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is interesting news

• Options

@Exbrit said:

II'm waiting for that coin to be revealed!

Anyone know what that coin is?

• Options
    edited March 12, 2022 11:36AM

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    After years of speculation regarding the identity of the collector that was not-so-secretly assembling one of the greatest collections of US and British gold (and patterns) ever, the identity of the 'Tyrant' of the Tyrant Collection has been revealed as Dan O'Dowd, Green Hills Software CEO, Dawn Project founder, and tech billionaire.

Good background. Here's some info on Green Hills Software which is pretty cool. Their software is used for the Nintendo Wii and AirMule flying car!

Wikipedia authors said:
    In 2008, the Green Hills real-time operating system (RTOS) named Integrity-178 was the first system to be certified by the National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP), composed of National Security Agency (NSA) and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), to Evaluation Assurance Level (EAL) 6+.

By November 2008, it was announced that a commercialized version of Integrity 178-B will be available to be sold to the private sector by Integrity Global Security, a subsidiary of Green Hills Software.

On March 27, 2012, a contract was announced between Green Hills Software and Nintendo. This designates MULTI as the official integrated development environment and toolchain for Nintendo and its licensed developers to program the Wii U video game console.

On February 25, 2014, it was announced that the operating system Integrity had been chosen by Urban Aeronautics for their AirMule flying car unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), since renamed the Tactical Robotics Cormorant.

Here's the flying car!

https://verticalmag.com/news/urban-aero-moves-forward-distinct-vtol-aircraft/

Of note, Google turns up Dan O'Dowd, General Manager of the Colorado Rockies!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2022 11:45AM

@1Bufffan said:
    It must be nice to know you can afford anything you want especially to be able to put together something like his collection and not have to worry about someone out bidding you, just go and get it because he wants it. It is truly a one-of-a-kind collection.

It seems like many of the top collectors tend to be businessmen and CEOs, and less so kings.

So perhaps coin collecting is the "Hobby of CEOs"?

The aspirational journey for a YN could be:

1. Love coins as a YN
    2. Build a business
    3. Become a billionaire
    4. Build a world class coin collection as a billionaire

I think it would be instructive to have a booklet with biographies of great collectors including how they amassed their fortunes to assemble such great collections. This could then be instructive for YNs.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2022 12:15PM

@BryceM said:
    Really cool news. I hope his identity was revealed when and how he desired.

He did provide some nice quote for the article. It seems like he's done building his set from the article.

Dan O’Dowd said:
    Bill Gates builds a house, Jeff Bezos builds a yacht, everybody has something they want to do. I didn’t really want to buy a yacht because I get seasick. I collect coins.

It’s my hobby, it’s my release. It’s completely separate from everything I do in business. It’s just something that’s always fascinated me.

When you build a coin collection, if you’re too big, and people find out what you are doing, they can hold you up.

If anyone knew what I was doing, the collection I was trying to build – they could charge me whatever they want. They could extort me on every coin because they would know I needed that coin or I wouldn’t have the complete set. I did it completely in secret. Nobody knew there was even a collection being built, so I managed to get it without being taken advantage of.

Here's some more info:

Dan O’Dowd kept both his identity and his ambition to own a coin featuring every English and British monarch secret to avoid being held to ransom on the price, but the designer of software for fighter jets has revealed himself after completing his dreamed-of collection.
    [...]
    The founder of Green Hills Software, which provides technology for nuclear bombers, is worth around £1.5 billion, and has been collecting the world’s rarest coins since 2005. His 1,000-strong collection of coins minted by this country’s rulers has examples dating back beyond the Royal Mint’s 1,100-year history, and includes currency issued by obscure 7th-century Kentish king Eadbald, and Mercian ruler Offa.

• Options

Everyone in the loop knows dan. nice guy.

his dealer is john dannruther.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the exhibit at the ANA in Chicago. Just super!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Exbrit said:

II'm waiting for that coin to be revealed!

Anyone know what that coin is?

Article states: a George III

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a big admirer of just how much class this man has. Truly he does it right.

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think it's strange that it leaked through a British newspaper.

Press from a U.S. newspaper approached me a few years ago to ask who Tyrant was. Clearly, I wasn't going to say anything, and since nothing appeared in the paper, I don't think anyone else did in the industry either.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

I don't. The US press is but a shell of it's former self, hence doesn't attract the kind of reporters it once used to.

The British press hasn't gotten as bad yet.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    I don't. The US press is but a shell of it's former self, hence doesn't attract the kind of reporters it once used to.

BUT A SHELL...

overall, i've been wholly unimpressed with the average agencies reporting accuracy. i don't necessarily blame the reporters as they have bosses and their bosses bosses have bosses but c'mon already. i take whatever i read with a grain of salt. i'm not saying it is easy to do but once you lose confidence, it can be tough to get it back. is it REALLY that hard to report truth?

on-topic.

i bet his reasons for not having a registry set?, remaining anonymous, putting a collection like this together, the video being posted going private etc etc would be very interesting and enjoyable to hear.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

@1Bufffan said:

It seems like many of the top collectors tend to be businessmen and CEOs, and less so kings.

So perhaps coin collecting is the "Hobby of CEOs"?

The aspirational journey for a YN could be:

1. Love coins as a YN
    2. Build a business
    3. Become a billionaire
    4. Build a world class coin collection as a billionaire

I think it would be instructive to have a booklet with biographies of great collectors including how they amassed their fortunes to assemble such great collections. This could then be instructive for YNs.

I kind of hate that approach. Better to advise kids that the harder they work at learning about coins and the harder they work to build their collections, the better their collections will become. In other words, simple encouragement. And no need to explain that the same will be true for whatever career they choose, and the wealth they may build in the process. When they're old enough to choose a career, it's obvious enough. And for the 99.99% who don't make billions, they won't be quite as disappointed with their hobby, or their lives.

I think this is the approach to build a great coin collection, but I don't think this is actually how it works.

From what I've seen happen, the way it works is:

1. Have business-minded mentors that each a kid to build a business
    2. Have coins as a hobby
    3. Build a great business
    4. Need a hobby on the side which turns out to be coin collecting
    5. End up with great coin collection

So I'm not sure how much coins are in the focus of a maturing YN, but I think building a great business is. It just so happens that the business person needs a hobby and turns to one they had as a kid.

• Options

@ianrussell said:

Press from a U.S. newspaper approached me a few years ago to ask who Tyrant was. Clearly, I wasn't going to say anything, and since nothing appeared in the paper, I don't think anyone else did in the industry either.

• Ian

The interesting thing is that the Tyrant collection is full of British and other European coins, so I can see the interest there.

• Options

Many dealers and auction houses do business with him. They know not to mess with someone of his size. Everyone wants to keep doing business with him. Thus he has been able to remain private.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

So I'm not sure how much coins are in the focus of a maturing YN, but I think building a great business is. It just so happens that the business person needs a hobby and turns to one they had as a kid.

I think you underestimate the passion many YNs have for numismatics, and overestimate the adult's "need" to find a hobby. But I guess we can agree to disagree.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2022 8:11AM

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

I think you underestimate the passion many YNs have for numismatics, and overestimate the adult's "need" to find a hobby. But I guess we can agree to disagree.

I could be underestimating the passion of YNs. I just didn't see a lot or, really any, coin collecting growing up among my peers. I'm an Eagle Scout that earned the Coin Collecting Merit Badge. None of my Scouting friends talked about coins outside the Merit Badge, and neither did I, but I wouldn't consider my passion that high at the time. Also, there were no coin clubs in high school, where we had things like the Year Book Club, Glee Club, Debate Club, Science Club, Chess Club, etc. This is why I think the Internet is a game changer for YNs, allowing YNs to connect with others, and also the Witter University is so great to get YNs together.

At the same time, I can understand the need for a more sedentary hobby after many people change lifestyles.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare coins have always been a magnet for wealth.
    I see this accellerating at least in the scarcer and rarer coins.
    Portable, internationally desired, easily and quickly liquidated ....or... purchased.

:)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d love to see the exhibit at a show someday. I’ve only seen the videos on YouTube. Sounds like an interesting guy. 👍

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's going into politics:

From the San Francisco Chronicle (sfgate.com):

WASHINGTON - This tech billionaire wants to take on Tesla - on the way to the United States Senate.

Dan O'Dowd, founder and chief executive officer of Green Hills Software, which builds operating services and programming tools for computer systems, announced his bid for the U.S. Senate on Tuesday.

O'Dowd simultaneously launched a multimillion-dollar national advertising campaign against Tesla's Full Self-Driving technology. The television advertisement, "Unsafe at Any Speed," includes videos of Tesla's self-driving car malfunctioning.

O'Dowd challenges incumbent Sen. Alex Padilla, California's former secretary of state, who was tapped by Gov. Gavin Newsom to fill Vice President Kamala Harris' seat when she became vice president.

Article:
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/California-tech-billionaire-launches-Senate-17105926.php

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

WASHINGTON - This tech billionaire wants to take on Tesla - on the way to the United States Senate.

Dan O'Dowd, founder and chief executive officer of Green Hills Software, which builds operating services and programming tools for computer systems, announced his bid for the U.S. Senate on Tuesday.

O'Dowd simultaneously launched a multimillion-dollar national advertising campaign against Tesla's Full Self-Driving technology. The television advertisement, "Unsafe at Any Speed," includes videos of Tesla's self-driving car malfunctioning.

O'Dowd challenges incumbent Sen. Alex Padilla, California's former secretary of state, who was tapped by Gov. Gavin Newsom to fill Vice President Kamala Harris' seat when she became vice president.

Article:
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/California-tech-billionaire-launches-Senate-17105926.php

Interesting. Political campaigns aren't cheap.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭

Going into politics because he wants to go after Tesla.
    He is very very anti the self driving program at Tesla
    Will not get too political but believe he has deeper issues with Musk than Tesla... since Musk is a 1A absolutist.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did Elon outbid Dan for a coin?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

no more calendars once in office!!!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2022 12:53PM

@BestGerman said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Article:

Interesting. Political campaigns aren't cheap.

@Relaxn said:
    Going into politics because he wants to go after Tesla.
    He is very very anti the self driving program at Tesla
    Will not get too political but believe he has deeper issues with Musk than Tesla... since Musk is a 1A absolutist.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a business aspect to this. The interesting thing about the self-driving car focus is that Dan is a billionaire tech CEO who’s company makes software used in self-flying vehicles. Would his company’s software have better results? Are they going after the same self-driving software contracts? If there's a business goal, I don't think he even needs to be elected to accomplish his goal. Dan is clearly very smart and successful so I don't think he's doing this just on a whim.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

You know he's at a coin show when a car flies into the lot

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file