Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball trivia

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this daily baseball calendar for christmas this year. about every other day or so there is a trivia question. some are easy, some tough. I thought it may be fun to share some of them. no cheating.

Todays is: what pitcher was the first one to win a cy young award with fewer than 20 victories in a season?

by the way, I got it wrong.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

i vividly remember Pedro winning one with the Expos w/ 17 wins, but that was only the late 90s so i bet that's not the correct answer

• Options

that is a good guess. one i hadn't thought of. but the answer predates Pedros CY by quite a few years.

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

IMHO, it's gotta be a relief pitcher ...

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I got this daily baseball calendar for christmas this year. about every other day or so there is a trivia question. some are easy, some tough. I thought it may be fun to share some of them. no cheating.

Todays is: what pitcher was the first one to win a cy young award with fewer than 20 victories in a season?

I know Pete Vuckovich won a Cy with maybe 18 wins a long time back, this is my best guess.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Roy Face. I believe at one time he won 17 in a row.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    IMHO, it's gotta be a relief pitcher ...

surprisingly, no.

at least I was surprised when I found the answer.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@craig44 said:

I know Pete Vuckovich won a Cy with maybe 18 wins a long time back, this is my best guess.

good memory. Pete won the Cy Young in 1982 with 18 wins. but... he wasnt the first.

we have it narrowed down to pre 1982 now.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Maybe Roy Face. I believe at one time he won 17 in a row.

good guess, not Roy though.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2022 1:12PM

@craig44 said:

@ernie11 said:

@craig44 said:

I know Pete Vuckovich won a Cy with maybe 18 wins a long time back, this is my best guess.>

good memory. Pete won the Cy Young in 1982 with 18 wins. but... he wasnt the first. >
    we have it narrowed down to pre 1982 now.

Now, wait a second, I know the CY winners in the 1981 strike-shortened season never got anywhere near 20 wins, but that year shouldn't be included in this trivia because there weren't enough games played to allow for a 20-game winner.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Carlton?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Marshall?

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2022 4:14PM

I think Seaver won a CY with 19 wins and it was somewhat debatable at the time.

Maybe Sparky Lyle?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 5:09PM

Sparky Lyle in 1976, I think.

Edit: Nope!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

Maybe Sparky Lyle?

m

we have a winner!!! Tom Terrific won in 1973 with 19 wins!!

you have a better memory than I

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Maybe Sparky Lyle?

m

we have a winner!!! Tom Terrific won in 1973 with 19 wins!!

you have a better memory than I

I was getting desperate and ready to say Whitey Ford. :-)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Mike Marshall?

You might be right but I think this is interesting. Maybe off topic but a baseball memory that I will never forget..... ..Marshall won the Cy Young in 1974 playing on the Dodgers. He was a relief pitcher........ Bad part?......IT WAS BAD!......In the 1974 World Series, DODGERS/A's....Marshall was called into a game and took the mound.......HE DID NOT WARM UP!......NO WARM UP PITCHES!....I couldn't believe it!!!! So....I think, I'm sure, that the first batter he faced slammed it out of the park!....it was all downhill after that and the A's went on to crush the Dodgers to win the series......He was a friendly , funny type of guy....maybe a little over confident.......another story about him......He got arrested one time for breaking into a high school baseball field. He just wanted to practice..... he had the bolt cutters on him....oh, well!.....He died early last year..... He was a funny guy.....nice man.....R.I.P.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Mike Marshall?

You might be right but I think this is interesting. Maybe off topic but a baseball memory that I will never forget..... ..Marshall won the Cy Young in 1974 playing on the Dodgers. He was a relief pitcher........ Bad part?......IT WAS BAD!......In the 1974 World Series, DODGERS/A's....Marshall was called into a game and took the mound.......HE DID NOT WARM UP!......NO WARM UP PITCHES!....I couldn't believe it!!!! So....I think, I'm sure, that the first batter he faced slammed it out of the park!....it was all downhill after that and the A's went on to crush the Dodgers to win the series......He was a friendly , funny type of guy....maybe a little over confident.......another story about him......He got arrested one time for breaking into a high school baseball field. He just wanted to practice..... he had the bolt cutters on him....oh, well!.....He died early last year..... He was a funny guy.....nice man.....R.I.P.

He had some rather revolutionary ideas about pitching mechanics. He taught an unusual pitching motion that he swore resulted in fewer injuries. Here is a video explaining it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgQXJlTSaU

• Options

Tabe did the Dharma Initiative do the narration?

• Options

here is the newest trivia question:

can you name the first 2 players in MLB history to amass 2500 hits, 400 steals, 500 doubles, 100 triples and 200 home runs.

full disclosure, i couldn't name either.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thoughts were from a group of Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Craig Biggio, Carlos Beltran, and Johnny Damon. I believe only one of those guys hit all off the qualifiers. No idea if they were one of the first 2.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    My first thoughts were from a group of Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Craig Biggio, Carlos Beltran, and Johnny Damon. I believe only one of those guys hit all off the qualifiers. No idea if they were one of the first 2.

one of your group hit all the qualifiers and was one of the first two!

• Options

I was really surprised Rickey did not get to 100 triples.

shockingly, George Brett hit 2x as many triples as Rickey Henderson did.

• Options

• Options

we are half way there!!!

good work Countdouglas

• Options

I knew Brett wouldn't have the SB, but he did come to mind briefly. Bobby Abreu and Jimmy Rollins are the type of player that we're looking for answer #2, but they do fall just short.

• Options

Paul Molitor? Andre Dawson? Never sure about the triples

I would have never guessed Johnny Damon in a million years. Still can't believe it

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

I would have never guessed Johnny Damon in a million years. Still can't believe it

m

You have guessed the second name. but... which one is it?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Has to be Molitor.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Who is Paul Molitor?

m

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

craig44 wrote:
    "I was really surprised Rickey did not get to 100 triples.
    shockingly, George Brett hit 2x as many triples as Rickey Henderson did."

I'm not shocked, because George Brett is my all-time favorite athlete. Here's some of my favorite Brett trivia:

• George Brett won a batting title in three different decades
    • Brett hit at least 20 doubles, triples and Home Runs in one season (1979)
  • Options

Correct, Paul Molitor it is!!!!

• Options

todays Trivia: which player had the most hits in the decade of the 1920s (1920-1929)?

PS: I actually got this one!!!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rogers Hornsby?

I think George Herman Ruth walked too many times.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

we have a winner!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rogers Hornsby?

Yes, Hornsby holds the record for the highest batting average in a single season, .424. I think he also holds the record for the higher average spread over four seasons. It takes a lot of hits to do that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

Rogers Hornsby?

Yes, Hornsby holds the record for the highest batting average in a single season, .424. I think he also holds the record for the higher average spread over four seasons. It takes a lot of hits to do that.

Nap Lajoie hit .426 in 1901. If you go with pre-1900, Hugh Duffy hit .440 in 1894.

• Options

wasnt 1894 the first season the mound was moved from 50' to 60'6"? if so, that could explain Duffy hitting .440. I am sure the transition for the pitchers that first season was pretty extreme.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    wasnt 1894 the first season the mound was moved from 50' to 60'6"? if so, that could explain Duffy hitting .440. I am sure the transition for the pitchers that first season was pretty extreme.

1893 was the first.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Rogers Hornsby?

Lifetime OPS+ of 175. Was one of top 5 hitters all time depending on how you look at things.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

new trivia for today:

The Yankees have nine players in the national baseball hall of fame who spent their entire career in pinstripes. name them

btw, i got 7 of the 9

• Options

Doc Gooden?

• Options

nope, not the good doctor.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gehrig,
    Ruffing,
    Whitey Ford,
    Yogi (playing days,i know he managed the Mets)
    Mantle,
    Mr. Coffee,
    Jeter,
    Mariano,
    and that other guy.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    new trivia for today:

The Yankees have nine players in the national baseball hall of fame who spent their entire career in pinstripes. name them

btw, i got 7 of the 9

I got 8 of the 9. My guesses:

Mickey Mantle
    Yogi Berra
    Phil Rizzuto
    Lou Gehrig
    Mariano Rivera
    Derek Jeter
    Tony Lazzeri*
    Joe Dimaggio
    Earle Combs

I cannot believe I forgot Whitey Ford. Lazzeri played for a couple other teams at the end of his career.

• Options

here is the answer guys, by the way, you did really well. better than me.

1. earle combs
    2. bill dickey
    3. joe dimaggio
    4. whitey ford
    5. lou gehrig
    6. derek jeter
    7. mickey mantle
    8. mariano rivera
    9. phil rizzuto

yogi was so close to making the list. he played 4 games for the 1965 mets.

• Options

here is another one.

from 1996-2001, only one player in mlb had at least 30 HR, 100 RBI and 100 Runs scored in each season.

who was he?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yogi (playing days,i know he managed the Mets)

Yogi caught a couple of games for the Mets. I saw it on TV when I was kid, and you look it up in the Baseball Encyclopedia.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds?

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    Barry Bonds?

that was my guess too, but it isn't barry

• Options

@craig44 said:
    here is another one.

from 1996-2001, only one player in mlb had at least 30 HR, 100 RBI and 100 Runs scored in each season.

who was he?

Well, not Alex Rodriguez. He did it "only" 5 of the 6 seasons, falling 16 RBI short one year.