Home Sports Talk

Baseball trivia

Comments

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

Sparky Lyle, 1977 Yanks. Without looking.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Rice had 3 homeruns in a game on 2 separate occasions.

There is a certain player that has never hit 3 homeruns in a game even once. However, on the occasions that player will walk 3 times in a game, people lose their minds like he's really done something great. Name that player.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2022 8:02AM

@countdouglas said:

There is a certain player that has never hit 3 homeruns in a game even once. However, on the occasions that player will walk 3 times in a game, people lose their minds like he's really done something great. Name that player.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited to add: I just looked it up, even though I was sure you were correct. Yes, he has no such games. He still has time 🤷

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@countdouglas said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited to add: I just looked it up, even though I was sure you were correct. Yes, he has no such games. He still has time 🤷

Is he hurt yet?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@countdouglas said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is he hurt yet?

don't worry, he wont last till the all star break

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@countdouglas said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is he hurt yet?

don't worry, he wont last till the all star break

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do if he stays healthy. As of right now, he's on pace for a historic season of 36 homeruns, 36 RBI, and only 36 called strike 3s.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

thisistheshow- Don't let dallas scare you off or anything, you're more of a baseball expert than he is.
    His list of best players starts with whoever draws the most walks ala Gene Tenace etc.

edited April 16, 2022 9:37PM

Here's a trivia question. Has any starting first basemen ever had a crappier year than Carlos Santana
    had last year, (.214 avg, .342 SLG. .660 OPS) and was still the starting first basemen the following season?

The brilliant Royals are letting him start again this year and are being richly rewarded with a breathtaking
    .087 batting average, off the chart .130 slugging percentage and .353 OPS.

This is so ridiculous its getting macabre.

Now here is the definition of macabre...........

Definition of macabre
    1: having death as a subject : comprising or including a personalized representation of death
    The macabre dance included a procession of skeletons.
    2: dwelling on the gruesome
    a macabre presentation of a tragic story
    3: tending to produce horror in a beholder

I think what the Royals are going for here is number 3 of the definition, tending to produce horror in a beholder

I would also accept number 2 as a correct answer, dwelling on the gruesome

The number 1 definition of macabre will be in my obituary..........

Darin passed away recently from having to watch Carlos Santana start at first base for the Royals.
    It was a macabre ending to his life as he was a long time Royals fan who saw some great teams
    and some pretty bad teams but never experienced a player having such a horrendous season
    but was still a starter the following year.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Here's a trivia question. Has any starting first basemen ever had a crappier year than Carlos Santana
    had last year, (.214 avg, .342 SLG. .660 OPS) and was still the starting first basemen the following season?

Yes. Chris Davis hit .168 with a .296 SLG, .539 OPS for Baltimore in 2018 and was the starter again in 2019. He rewarded them with a .179 average and .601 OPS the following year.

edited April 17, 2022 12:11AM

@Darin You do realize that the great Santana had The Play of the Game on Saturday. He drew the walk ahead of Dozier's much less relevant homerun. It was of course Santana that touched home plate and scored run #2 to win the game. Evidently that's why they're paying him the big bucks! LOL

@thisistheshow A person learns pretty quickly when interacting with St. Louis Cardinals fans that they are mostly full of themselves. Sure, they have their cool, matching TBFIB tattoos and special handshakes when greeting each other in public

but the only live games they've ever watched are Cardinals' games, so their "baseball expertise" is pretty much limited to whatever they can regurgitate from something that they have read, or perhaps repeating something that they heard Jack Buck or Mike Shannon once say on the radio at some point in their youth, and all of their problems in life can be traced back to one traumatic incident and one boogeyman. Just mention Don Denkinger, and you'll discover the reason for all of their choices in life, and all of the resulting failures. It's sad, really.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Darin said:

Yes. Chris Davis hit .168 with a .296 SLG, .539 OPS for Baltimore in 2018 and was the starter again in 2019. He rewarded them with a .179 average and .601 OPS the following year.

Hey he improved. lol

@countdouglas said:
    @Darin You do realize that the great Santana had The Play of the Game on Saturday. He drew the walk ahead of Dozier's much less relevant homerun. It was of course Santana that touched home plate and scored run #2 to win the game. Evidently that's why they're paying him the big bucks! LOL

@thisistheshow A person learns pretty quickly when interacting with St. Louis Cardinals fans that they are mostly full of themselves. Sure, they have their cool, matching TBFIB tattoos and special handshakes when greeting each other in public

but the only live games they've ever watched are Cardinals' games, so their "baseball expertise" is pretty much limited to whatever they can regurgitate from something that they have read, or perhaps repeating something that they heard Jack Buck or Mike Shannon once say on the radio at some point in their youth, and all of their problems in life can be traced back to one traumatic incident and one boogeyman. Just mention Don Denkinger, and you'll discover the reason for all of their choices in life, and all of the resulting failures. It's sad, really.

I cannot keep up with everyone's fandom. Who is the Cardinals fan?

after a brief time off, here is a new trivia question.

What pitcher had the most games with 15 or more strikeouts in his career?

I actually got this one!!!

Was it Roger? If not, maybe Nolan?

good guesses, not the express or the rocket though.

Randy Johnson?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Feller

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

we have a winner! it is the big unit. he had 15 or more Ks an amazing 29 times!

@craig44 said:
    we have a winner! it is the big unit. he had 15 or more Ks an amazing 29 times!

@craig44 do you notice something interesting on that list? An anomaly?

@thisistheshow said:

Carlton lost 3 of the his five 15 strikeout games?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Carlton lost 3 of the his five 15 strikeout games?

Yes sir. That's what stuck out to me as well. I'd be curious to know the specifics of those particular games.

@thisistheshow said:

maybe that rocket and pedro were so similar?

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

maybe that rocket and pedro were so similar?

Good point, but I was thinking about what @Alfonz24 mentioned just before you.

Sept. 15, 1969

Having established his slider as his “money” pitch, Carlton set a modern-day record by amassing 19 strikeouts in a nine-inning game. Somehow, the New York Mets engineered a 4-3 victory over the Cardinals and Carlton, who yielded two-run homers to Ron Swoboda in the fourth and eighth innings.

I also counted 5 fourteen strikeout games

@Alfonz24 said:
    Sept. 15, 1969

Having established his slider as his “money” pitch, Carlton set a modern-day record by amassing 19 strikeouts in a nine-inning game. Somehow, the New York Mets engineered a 4-3 victory over the Cardinals and Carlton, who yielded two-run homers to Ron Swoboda in the fourth and eighth innings.

I also counted 5 fourteen strikeout games

So, did Swoboda just have Carlton's number, or what? 🤷

new trivia for today.

name the first two players in MLB history to have consecutive seasons of 100 or more stolen bases.

Rickey Henderson and Ron Leflore?

@LandrysFedora said:

Sounds like a good guess to me. I came up with Henderson but got no farther.

@thisistheshow said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Sounds like a good guess to me. I came up with Henderson but got no farther.

These are tough when you don't use google. lol. I seem to definitely remember Rickey doing it but Leflore is a total shot in the dark.

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭

Rickey henderson and Vine Coleman.

Matt

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭

Vince

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

You got it!!! Rickey did it first and then Vince did it a couple of years later. in fact, I believe Vince did it 3 years in a row!

Here is another toughie.

Who was the FIRST pitcher to notch a win against all 30 MLB teams?

Jamie Moyer?

nope, not Jamie. good guess though. he did play forever.

I will stay lefty, but go from finesse pitcher to flame thrower. Big Unit?

Clayton Kershaw?

not the unit or Clayton. I will narrow it down for you guys though. he was a lefty and i remember of him playing mostly in the NL

Tom Glavine?

Andy Pettitte?

edited May 1, 2022 7:13PM

Julio Franco?

edited to add: seriously thisistheshow ? you're brain must have hit a hiccup. lol

here is another hint.

this lefthanded pitcher's rookie card had an error. it was also corrected. for a little while it was somewhat sought after.

I stink at baseball trivia. My memory is shot. But I still find this thread a lot of fun to just follow along. I'm thinking about getting a relative one of those calendars next year. If I remember lol

@thisistheshow said:
    I stink at baseball trivia. My memory is shot. But I still find this thread a lot of fun to just follow along. I'm thinking about getting a relative one of those calendars next year. If I remember lol

I have loved mine this year! i will definitely be getting another one for next year.

alright guys, this one was a little obscure. full disclosure, I didn't get it either. the answer is: in 2002 Al Leiter was the first pitcher to accomplish the feat. I remember him being quite good in the post season for the mets and marlins.

and his 1988 topps rookie had a somewhat famous (at the time) error that showed a different player. it was corrected.

• Jack131Jack131 Posts: 67 ✭✭

@craig44 said:

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

You got it!!! Rickey did it first and then Vince did it a couple of years later. in fact, I believe Vince did it 3 years in a row!

Actually, "Sliding" Billy Hamilton stole 102 and 111 bases for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1890 and 1891.

So I think the correct answer is Hamilton and then Rickey Henderson with 130 and 108 stolen bases in 1982 and 1983.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jack131 said:

@craig44 said:

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

Actually, "Sliding" Billy Hamilton stole 102 and 111 bases for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1890 and 1891.

And Hamilton stole 111 for KC in the American Association in 1889 when the AA was considered a major league.

I don't know why I said Julio Franco above, obviously that wouldn't fit. I was thinking of players who played awhile, and my mind was possibly reaching for Bartolo Colon.