Baseball trivia

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess number 2, Gary Sheffield?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, not gary.

i will narrow it down a little.

the guy you are looking for played in the national league

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Hmmm, I'm thinking Carlos Beltran or Sammy Sosa now. I'm guessing Carlos.

• Jack131Jack131 Posts: 67 ✭✭

I believe the answer is Jeff Bagwell.

1996 111 R - 31 HR - 120 RBI
    1997 109 R - 43 HR - 135 RBI
    1998 124 R - 34 HR - 111 RBI
    1999 143 R - 42 HR - 126 RBI
    2000 152 R - 47 HR - 132 RBI
    2001 126 R - 39 HR - 130 RBI

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    here is another one.

from 1996-2001, only one player in mlb had at least 30 HR, 100 RBI and 100 Runs scored in each season.

who was he?

Wild guess is Albert Belle.

@Jack131 said:
    I believe the answer is Jeff Bagwell.

1996 111 R - 31 HR - 120 RBI
    1997 109 R - 43 HR - 135 RBI
    1998 124 R - 34 HR - 111 RBI
    1999 143 R - 42 HR - 126 RBI
    2000 152 R - 47 HR - 132 RBI
    2001 126 R - 39 HR - 130 RBI

we have a winner!!!!

Bags it is!

New trivia: name the first 4 players in MLB history to have at least a .300 career average, 300 home runs and 200 stolen bases.

PS, i only got 3 out of the 4

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    here is another one.

from 1996-2001, only one player in mlb had at least 30 HR, 100 RBI and 100 Runs scored in each season.

who was he?

Chipper ?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:

@craig44 said:
    here is another one.

who was he?

Chipper ?

nope, it was Jeff Bagwell

Mantle, Mays, Aaron,, and Henderson?

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2022 3:23PM

@LandrysFedora said:

Mantle is under .300. One of his lifelong regrets was his low batting average in 1968 that dropped him below .300 lifetime.

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Mantle is under .300. One of his lifelong regrets was his low batting average in 1968 that dropped him below .300 lifetime.

Wow! I had no idea, assumed that was a given for Mantle. Back to my drawing board! lol

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Wow! I had no idea, assumed that was a given for Mantle. Back to my drawing board! lol

pssst...Henderson is a no, too :)

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Tabe said:

@LandrysFedora said:

pssst...Henderson is a no, too :)

Oh it's so hard when I don't google cheat! lol Thanks.

mays and aaron are both correct. I will give two hints.

one player played for a time above the border. the other played the hot corner.

@craig44 said:
    mays and aaron are both correct. I will give two hints.

one player played for a time above the border. the other played the hot corner.

I would never, ever have gotten either one without the hints. Got em both on first guess with the hints but... yeah.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Brett squeaked in. With the hint Larry Walker?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

As we speak, I believe the answer is actually 5 players.

1. Hank Aaron - 755 HR, 240 SB and .305 BA
    2. Willie Mays - 660 HR, 338 SB and .301 BA
    3. George Brett - 317 HR, 201 SB and .305 BA
    4. Larry Walker - 383 HR, 230 SB and .313 BA
    5. Mike Trout - 310 HR, 203 SB and .305 BA

We'll see if Trout maintains a career .300 BA but, for now, he's at .305 BA.

you guys got it!! the first 4 were aaron, mays, brett and walker

trout currently is a member, but that BA can only dip 5 more points as he hits his decline before he leaves the group

new trivia monday:

who was honored with the first monument at Yankee Stadium?

@craig44 said:
    new trivia monday:

who was honored with the first monument at Yankee Stadium?

A wild guess is Gehrig.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, I remember this being talked about before. I think it is not a player but cannot for the life of me remember.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:
    Dang, I remember this being talked about before. I think it is not a player but cannot for the life of me remember.

I'm exactly where you are it. Thinking an owner or commish or manager

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

If not a player I'll guess Miller Huggins?

we have a winner!!!!

MIller Huggins was honored in 1932.

New trivia:

who was the first knuckleball pitcher to win the Cy Young award?

I almost got trapped into saying Wilbur Wood until I realized he only came in second or third. In my mind he only he won one. I think RA Dickey might actually be the only one to win one and it wasn't all that long ago.

m

you got it!!!!! R A won in 2012. initially i was thinking Niekro, but he never won.

new trivia for today: name the first 5 players in MLB history with at least 3000 hits, 450 home runs and 600 doubles.

good luck!

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Rollie Fingers

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

I believe the answer is:

1. Hank Aaron
    2. Stan Musial
    3. Carl Yastrzemski
    4. Albert Pujols
    5. Adrian Beltre <--- Wow!!

P.S. Miguel Cabrera needs 13 hits and 3 doubles and he'll be in the club.

jack131 is the winner!!!

great job.

on april 9, 1987, for the first time, two pitchers with over 300 wins pitched in the same game for the same team.

who were those two pitchers?

@craig44 said:
    on april 9, 1987, for the first time, two pitchers with over 300 wins pitched in the same game for the same team.

who were those two pitchers?

Phil Niekro and Gaylord Perry??? Just a shot in the dark! Great question!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭

ryan niekro

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niekro and Carlton.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:
    Niekro and Carlton.

we have a winner!!! niekro started and carlton finished.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a trivia question... Sorry in advance if 'outside askers' are not approved. And I apologize if i am getting the facts muxed ip. 🤣🙃

Who was the most recent player in the AL to finish a season with 400 or more 'total bases'?

I forget his name, but he sucked.

@dallasactuary said:
    I forget his name, but he sucked.

I 'liked' your answer. Not because I agree, but because I was thinking of you when I asked it and I was hoping you would be the lucky winner. As my Grandfather would have said..... "no flies on you @dallasactuary , no flies on you"

As some of you might know, my username is derived from Seinfeld. More specifically, from a line from a conversation between George and Jerry, at the diner, as they talk about potential ideas for the sitcom that NBC is asking Jerry to create. George is telling Jerry that the show could've been about nothing, about just what you do all day, etc. I am taking extreme liberties with my paraphrasing of the conversation...

Jerry: so it's a show about nothing? just about what you did that day, even if the general public wouldn't find it interesting

George: yeah, like for example, last night, I'm on the Sports Talk forum...it's like midnight..no one is on there but me. I decide to get a little bold and I hijack @craig44 's baseball trivia thread for a bit

Jerry: good gravy Gomer Pyle, what'd you do that for?

George: come on, don't you remember? @galaxy27 was talking about how the place was dieing...so to spice things up I asked who the last AL player was to have over 400 total bases ina season

Jerry: that's...spicing things up?

George: I was taking a chance, but it worked out perfectly. It got very spicy. Within minutes, correct answer

Jerry: so you posted a question, on the sports forum, around midnight, no one else around, and it's immediately answered. Correctly. Case closed. That's it? You're an idiot. I am not going to NBC with an idea for an episode about you posting trivia on a sports forum

George: you're missing the best part

Jerry: there is no best part

George: here, just look at a screenshot of how the action went down, maybe that'll change your mind

Jerry: a screenshot? So I'm supposed to show the audience a screenshot, on the screen, so that they understand the level of spice they are witnessing?

George: just look, you won't regret it

Jerry: you"re an idiot. I'm going home. I'm meeting @doubledragon at 5:30am sharp for coffee. Now that guys funny

George: Jerry, what's wrong with you. Don't you remember his old sig line?

if you read this whole thing, I am impressed. I mean that

@thisistheshow said:
    Here's a trivia question... Sorry in advance if 'outside askers' are not approved. And I apologize if i am getting the facts muxed ip. 🤣🙃

Who was the most recent player in the AL to finish a season with 400 or more 'total bases'?

Without cheating, I can't answer this. I can only vaguely remember that most of the recent 400+ base guys have been from the NL, like Todd Helton.

Rickey Henderson?

edited April 12, 2022 4:52PM

One guy I can tell you it's NOT is Albert Belle. In 1998, he topped out at ........399. He surely would have had 400 in 1995 if the season hadn't been shortened. He had 377 in 143 games that year.

Hint. @dallasactuary thinks he sucks.

his middle name doesnt happen to be Ed does it?

@craig44 said:

yes

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

yes

hahahaha!!! then I know it! it is "he whose name shall not be spoken!"

He may also have won the MVP in 1978...

edited April 13, 2022 6:15PM

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

yes

hahahaha!!! then I know it! it is "he whose name shall not be spoken!"

He may also have won the MVP in 1978...

Yup. Jim Rice. My favorite. A lot of disparaging reviews of his playing days here and elsewhere. I believe the narrative could have been different, if... Well, his vision was an issue. Conflicting stories. Also, HR totals were lower due to green monster. Yes, I know he didn't play as well away. And I know his or very disposition with the press had a lot to do with his HOF delay. But I have read all the arguments against him. Still, I think this trivia question is just one of the many little ways you can prove his greatness.

Edited to add: he finished his career with 373 doubles and 79 triples. He hit disproportionately better at home. How many of these, or his singles, would have been HRs on the road? He estimates up to 20 per year. He played technically 16 years, but his first and last were low numbers of games. If he had averaged just 8 more homers each of those other 14 years, he would have surpassed 500 HRs. He was a one time MVP, but finished top 5 five more times. Plus he was steroid free. I know he hit into a lot of double plays. I know he had an earlier decline than expected, but he had a long run of total dominance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only 12 retired players are above him in both average and Hrs. And he is the only player ever to hit 39+ HRs and get 200+ hits in three straight seasons. Again, no steroids.

@thisistheshow said:
    Also, HR totals were lower due to green monster.

Edited to add: he finished his career with 373 doubles and 79 triples. He hit disproportionately better at home. How many of these, or his singles, would have been HRs on the road? He estimates up to 20 per year.

Oh, for the love of God, no moderately or even partially knowledgeable baseball fan could possibly believe this. The man hits 20% more HR at home than on the road, and we're supposed to believe that Fenway HURT his HR total?!? NO! NO! NO! That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. And anyone who thinks Fenway cost him 20 HR per year, including Jim Rice if he actually said that, is in need of more than just a remedial baseball education, he is in need of medical attention. Just. Stop.