Home U.S. Coin Forum

**The Official Nat'l Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Comm. Thread**2nd round Colorized in hand!

Comments

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 12:00PM

I'm old enough to remember when a same day (or a few hour) sellout was considered a smashing success...funny how recent events (and internet flippers) have warped our sensibilities!

I'm also old enough to remember when the TV had 6 channels...and went dark at around 2 in the morning!

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I'm old enough to remember when a same day (or a few hour) sellout was considered a smashing success...funny how recent events (and internet flippers) have warped our sensibilities!

I'm also old enough to remember when the TV had 6 channels...and went dark at around 2 in the morning!

Hey, I remember all that! We both must be older than dirt. But…I need to run now. I’ve got to fill out my delivery card for the milkman tomorrow.

{{Hey, I remember all that! We both must be older than dirt. But…I need to run now. I’ve got to fill out my delivery card for the milkman tomorrow.}}

And pick up your washed, folded, and boxed dress shirts at the laundry!

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 12:18PM

@JeffM said:

@RichR said:

Hey, I remember all that! We both must be older than dirt. But…I need to run now. I’ve got to fill out my delivery card for the milkman tomorrow.

And don't forget the block of ice for the ice box and open the trap door for the coal delivery
    Yeah, I remember those days too.........

edited March 24, 2022 12:24PM

Wow, you guys are giving me a lot to do now. All I thought I had left to do was get out my old washboard and wring out my laundry.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 12:41PM

I saw a colorizing machine in the Japanese Mint. there was a foam stamper. It looks like the Dairy Queen ice cream cone but with the top to a point instead of a twirl. It stamps paint off a pad and onto the coin just like the old rubber stamps work.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Reminds me of waiting in the street for the Mr Softy truck..............

walk, do not run to the nearest web browser

I don't think these will sell out, at least not anytime soon.

buy them because you like them.

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@RichR said:
    [...]

BTW...has the Mint ever revealed how they're colorizing elements? What does that machine look like?

Could not locate any information specific to the "Purple Heart" coin.

FWIW, the Mint outsourced the colorization of the Basketball coins to LulaRose.
    Reference

Edited to Add: CoinWorld indicates that the colorization process for the "Purple Heart" coin is "a post-strike application by an outside vendor".
    Link

For some reason I thought they woulda colorized the 50c, like with olive green uniform (and maybe the hat on the shadowed obverse) and maybe the purple in the medal. Maybe too busy (with color)?

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

data-available="10132.0"

Many happy BST transactions
    edited March 24, 2022 1:43PM

Throw back memories.

Retrofitted house for…. Electricity! Braided insulation covered wires run from push button switch box up along the wall and across the ceiling on ceramic insulators.

Example below but imagine the switch with cheap, aged plastic in a switch box attached to the wall.

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/products/R-010FD-P-1P_00.jpg

[Retrofitted house for…. Electricity! Braided insulation covered wires run from push button switch box up along the wall and across the ceiling on ceramic insulators.]

Just don't come out if the shower and reach for that box!

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow and steady sales with the HHL at one.

9,838 remain

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

And into and out of this 🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Those fuses look a little like my grandmother's house...just stick a penny in them!

"availableCount":10858

"data-available="9350

Didn’t realize that this coin is not even 1 oz. (it’s .859 oz.).

@JeffM said:
    Didn’t realize that this coin is not even 1 oz. (it’s .859 oz.).

And the Morgan and peace dollar planchets are .858 oz.
    Through great planning they managed to make it impossible to swap the blanks. By .001 oz.

@MsMorrisine said:

Where are you seeing this info?

edited March 24, 2022 5:18PM

@alaura22 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Where are you seeing this info?

@MsMorrisine said:

@Goldbully said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Where do you see that?

<input type="number" name="Quantity" id="Quantity"
    size="3" max="999" maxlength="3" min="1"
    value="1" data-available="15779.0" class="valid">

Right click on the "Quantity Area of the Page" -> choose Inspect Element or some such

Here?

don't think it can be done on a phone

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

It will sell out when the HH limit is increased, probably tomorrow.

edited March 24, 2022 5:21PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    don't think it can be done on a phone

I'm on the puter
    ok, I see it now says 9108

It’s in the post 2 above that one

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@JeffM said:

@RichR said:

And don't forget the block of ice for the ice box and open the trap door for the coal delivery
    Yeah, I remember those days too.........

Yes and that was luxurious compared to my wife's early days in Italy. No heat or running water, outhouse with no lights in the cold of winter, and ironing sheets with cast iron heated in the fireplace to be warm enough to go to sleep at night. Their school was an old castle. I can not even imagine living like that.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 6:32PM

I just checked. This is the first time I checked from the computer today so no cacheing involved.

"availableCount":10779,"orderLimit":1,

Edited to add: data-available="8873.0"

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one on backorder. prob overpriced but it looks cool - will go nicely with my Vietnam commems.

Guessing game time? What time will these go unavailable.
    I’ll take 12:15 eastern. 15 minutes. Anyone else?

Fifteen minutes till noon and the current values are:

availableCount":8476,"orderLimit":1,"

data-available="8147.0"

edited March 25, 2022 9:05AM

They're flying off the shelf now!!!

Sold over 8,000 in one or two minutes.

Now dark

data-available="0.0">

I'm in for two sets total.
    USM127393xx noon today
    USM127127xx noon yesterday

Dark within two minutes.

"availableCount":8476,"orderLimit":1,

data-available="0.0"

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Guessing game time? What time will these go unavailable.
    I’ll take 12:15 eastern. 15 minutes. Anyone else?

A bit faster than that. If you blinked you missed it.

edited March 25, 2022 9:09AM

USM127396 > @Batman23 said:

I'm in for two sets total.
    USM127393xx noon today
    USM127127xx noon yesterday

Picked up 4 units.

USM127396xx

You're 3 order #'s up on me.

Well what do you think about that?

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Well what do you think about that?

I think it was a good thing there was a HHL1 for 24 hours. There was evidently a bit more demand for these than I had expected.

These will be my first "colorized" painted coins in my collection. I always thought colored coins were just gaudy looking. I'm hoping this one will just pop and look awesome.

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    These will be my first "colorized" painted coins in my collection. I always thought colored coins were just gaudy looking. I'm hoping this one will just pop and look awesome.

I thought that about photos of the basketball coins, but in person they arent that bad. I mean what are the colors on that? In 1 case black and white (and not much of that), and in the other case, black, white, and ... basketball. :D
    But I like 'em. Have hi hopes for how these look.

They lifted the HHL and thpthpthp :p they were gone. Amazing. Cant wait to see the "advanced releases" on this. :s

• SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Insane. The Colorized Purple Heart Silver Dollar sold out but is now available on eBay for more than double the cost. Yet the previous Purple Heart coins never sold out. I had a busy work day yesterday and couldn’t make the purchase in time.

@SemperFI said:
    Insane. The Colorized Purple Heart Silver Dollar sold out but is now available on eBay for more than double the cost. Yet the previous Purple Heart coins never sold out. I had a busy work day yesterday and couldn’t make the purchase in time.

They were available to anyone for 24 hours and onepointfive minutes. Unless you forgot about it you should have been able to sneak in a quick order anytime during that window of availability.

• SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    They were available to anyone for 24 hours and onepointfive minutes. Unless you forgot about it you should have been able to sneak in a quick order anytime during that window of availability.

Completely forgot about it last night after a very busy day. I got the real PH anyway. lol

edited March 25, 2022 9:49AM

Surprised me

I hope those that wanted one got one

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wait for a PCGS 70 graded one when they become available later this year.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Stupid question...but I'll ask anyhow...since I never bought a "painted" coin until yesterday (God forgive me)...

Is the colorized material an enamel type material or something else?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file