Home U.S. Coin Forum

**The Official Nat'l Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Comm. Thread**2nd round Colorized in hand!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2022 5:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I believe RickO said this series will be a winner, and I have to agree with him.

$95

Introductory prices are $74 for the proof silver dollar, $69 for the uncirculated silver dollar, $35 for the proof half dollar, and $33 for the uncirculated half dollar.

https://www.coinnews.net/2022/01/07/purple-heart-hall-of-honor-commemorative-coin-prices-published/

https://catalog.usmint.gov/national-purple-heart-hall-of-honor-2022-colorized-silver-dollar-22CQ.html?cgid=2022-product-schedule

Comments

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2022 6:27AM

$95. Well.the basketball didn’t do well as the first colorized coin. Seems like a good idea, raise the price. I like the design and also hoping these do well.
    Also there’s only one choice ( no half dollar)

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll probably be in for one of the unc or proof dollars or both.
    My grandfather was a Purple Heart recipient in WWII. Otherwise I wouldn’t waste my money as I think these colorized coins are somewhat gimmicky.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The United States Mint leads every year with the commemorative coins they Think will generate the most revenue.

Both the Purple Heart and the Negro Leagues coins were Originally scheduled for January 6.

The Purple Heart coins were moved to TBD, SO the Mint Thinks the baseball coins would generate more revenue than the Purple Heart coins…

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably get two... the $95 coin and the half dollar. Cheers, RickO

• mlittlemlittle Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

How do you go about getting one from the Mint at the introductory price?

They changed the release date. Now their TBA kinda at the end of the mint product list. Then you know the drill. Watch the mints website and at noon est on the day of release try to order (I say that because it’s can be a zoo )

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

February 24, new release date, next Thursday.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The colorized Silver Dollar is still TBD

edited February 18, 2022 7:53AM

How about that June 8th shipping date. By the time they’re done with this pre-sale junk, what we will have is a mess of different shipping dates.
    Why sell them when they don’t have them? Not this time 🤨

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be getting a few of the Silver $1 Uncs.....and maybe one Silver $1 Proof.

I will probably get the colorized version when it is available.

Anyone else?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/national-purple-heart-hall-of-honor-2022-uncirculated-silver-dollar-22CD.html?cgid=2022-product-schedule

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought I would hear myself say it, but I like the colorized dollar. I'm in for one whenever they make up their minds...

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they need to give there special dealers time to send them in and send back the rejects so they can sell them to you because I’m not going to play that game anymore. I’ll sit on the sidelines for now it’s not right how all of this is pre orders now.

If you are making the product why can’t you send out what your making on time? They make the release date what’s going on bet we see a bunch of 1st day issues and in 70’s before or right at release date. This pre sale stuff doesn’t sit well with me now if it was a week or two I understand but months that’s crazy.

How long is it taking to get stuff graded now two months when will you rec your coins give me a break. I guess the Morgan’s and Peace wasn’t enough looks like they will do it as long as collectors keep buying into it. I’m not into commemorative anyway so it’s a big pass for me.

Okay ranting over be safe out there every one. 🤔

Hoard the keys.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh and thank you Goldbully for the update.

Hoard the keys.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel the half dollar designs should be shown more realistically, since the pure black contrasting shadow drawing is somewhat deceptive of how they will actually look on the clad coins?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    $95. Well.the basketball didn’t do well as the first colorized coin. Seems like a good idea, raise the price. I like the design and also hoping these do well.
    Also there’s only one choice ( no half dollar)

Well, lets see...the $1 colorized basketball sold 25,735...regular proof 68,778
    half dollar.....colorized 32,614.... regular....25,735

In my book. did ok.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@Goldbully said:
    I'll be getting a few of the Silver $1 Uncs.....and maybe one Silver $1 Proof.

I will probably get the colorized version when it is available.

Anyone else?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/national-purple-heart-hall-of-honor-2022-uncirculated-silver-dollar-22CD.html?cgid=2022-product-schedule

count me in.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made my list and checked it twice

The 24th is Thursday

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    Made my list and checked it twice

The 24th is Thursday

Thank you, not the first time I screwed up the day and date when Monday is a holiday.

Will edit thread title to say THURZDAY the 24TH!!!!!!!!

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Does anyone else feel the half dollar designs should be shown more realistically, since the pure black contrasting shadow drawing is somewhat deceptive of how they will actually look on the clad coins?

I was wondering how the shadow will look on the actual coin. Only the shadow knows....

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 3:57PM

@Onastone said:

@Goldminers said:

I was wondering how the shadow will look on the actual coin. Only the shadow knows....

I'm thinking on the proof coin the cameo effect may accomplish this - in some way. But the UNC .. (use you imagination, or illusion)???

I believe these images were just posted on the Mint website in the past 48 hours.

Now we have a much better idea of the actual coin appearance.

Love the mirrored relief profile of GW on the proof half.

edited February 23, 2022 3:02PM

National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Proof Five-Dollar Gold Coin...$686.25
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Uncirculated Five-Dollar Gold Coin...$676.25
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Three-Coin Proof Set...$799.50
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Proof Silver Dollar...$74
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Uncirculated Silver Dollar...$69
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Proof Half Dollar...$35
    National Purple Heart Hall of Honor 2022 Uncirculated Half Dollar...$33

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in... :#
    USM125585XX

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Doubt there is any room for flipping on these.

But I bought a 3 coin, just in case.

Plenty of time to cancel or send back...

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

22 minutes in and only 2 members have posted about buying these. Definitely no flip opportunity 😂🤣

• I am in for a proof half and a proof dollar. In my opinion this purchase is a tribute to the veterans who have served our country.

Got 1 of each proof. Also want the colorized coin later in the year.

I bought the 3 coin set. I like the designs, and as @Iamthewalrus53 said, it's a tribute to our veterans who served and more often than not, paid the ultimate price for our country.

Order # USM12557xxx

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭

Colorized version still shows "remind me"

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they sell well

I’m holding off. If I had someone close to me with a PH I’d get them one of the half or dollar as a gift.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered a proof dollar and proof half dollar. I like these coins.

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭

Colorized version still shows "remind me"

@Type2 said:
    Well they need to give there special dealers time to send them in and send back the rejects so they can sell them to you because I’m not going to play that game anymore. I’ll sit on the sidelines for now it’s not right how all of this is pre orders now.

If you are making the product why can’t you send out what your making on time? They make the release date what’s going on bet we see a bunch of 1st day issues and in 70’s before or right at release date. This pre sale stuff doesn’t sit well with me now if it was a week or two I understand but months that’s crazy.

How long is it taking to get stuff graded now two months when will you rec your coins give me a break. I guess the Morgan’s and Peace wasn’t enough looks like they will do it as long as collectors keep buying into it. I’m not into commemorative anyway so it’s a big pass for me.

I agree and I think there is little chance we can buy a coin directly from the Mint and get a 70. Those are all going to the dealers. They are the Mint's best customers, and the Mint does not want to lose them. So, if you're dead set on getting a perfect coin, I suggest paying more and buying from a dealer.

I'll wait for the colorized version to become available.

• Ive been waiting for these and was pleasantly surprised they were available before 12pm pacific time. Got the proof half dollar and proof dollar.

@originalsandman said:
    Ive been waiting for these and was pleasantly surprised they were available before 12pm pacific time. Got the proof half dollar and proof dollar.

This coins will be available for a very long time. Large mintages. This is great for collectors who enjoy these and want them without fighting the flippers and their bots. These and the Negro Leagues coins were pleasant to order.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@Type2 said:

I agree and I think there is little chance we can buy a coin directly from the Mint and get a 70. Those are all going to the dealers. They are the Mint's best customers, and the Mint does not want to lose them. So, if you're dead set on getting a perfect coin, I suggest paying more and buying from a dealer.

I strongly disagree and that is a pretty wild claim - do you have any facts or statistically meaningful data to back up your statement? I’ve never had issues getting 70 grades on my US Mint submissions.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added two different coins to my cart and then somehow did not to proceed with check out after a good long look at it.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2022 1:33PM

[[ I’ve never had issues getting 70 grades on my US Mint submissions.]]

Agreed and I'm old enough to remember when getting a 68 or 69 from the Mint was a miracle. But that being said, I think I've gotten as many, if not more, 70s vs. 69s if I was to have gotten my hundreds of coins direct from the Mint slabbed over the past 20+ years.

And if not half, definitely a third or more.

I reject the idea that some mysterious guy or guys at the Mint are deliberately funneling 70s into the pockets of dealers.

Much more likely would be if the TPGs are giving their larger dealer customers preferential grading treatment...but I don't think we want to go there.

The coin dealers buy huge amounts of coins. They push the 70 rated coins. If a coin were to be rated lower, where do those coins go? Do they ever return coins to the Mint? And, if so, what happens to those coins?

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    The coin dealers buy huge amounts of coins. They push the 70 rated coins. If a coin were to be rated lower, where do those coins go? Do they ever return coins to the Mint? And, if so, what happens to those coins?

I don't think dealers get to look at all the coins before they go for sale and take what they want. I do think that coins are sent back to the mint by a lot of different people and get resold. I do believe most of those have been looked at and have been cherry picked. Some people swear this doesn't happen. This is how I believe proof silver eagles come up again and again and again months after they are unavailable.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

This does not happen. Fake news.

Latest article from Coin World.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/some-purple-heart-coin-pre-order-sales-are-underway

Not sure what the author means when he says the 3 coin set is postponed to an undisclosed date.

I got my pre-order in OK.

"Two limited-edition options were not made available Feb. 24. A three-coin Proof set, limited to a product option of 5,000 sets, restricted to one set per household, was scheduled to go on sale with the other options, but was postponed to an undisclosed date. Also postponed are sales of a colorized Proof 2022-W silver dollar, limited to 25,000 coins, bumped to a later date to be offered at $95 per coin."

@jmlanzaf ? @cagcrisp?

Looks like it’s available. No no on the colorized 👍🏼

I checked the amount of 3 coin sets left using my browser page source....2723.

Not even 50% sold.

Can anyone else verify this number for me?

@zyskowski1

For some reason the only stats I can draw up are the Tuesday mint reports. I don’t have a computer so my iPhone is the source of my computer stuff . I’m learning that some functions are limited and looks like grandpa needs to upgrade.
    I’m grateful to have learned to function , ordering and research, banking and email, etc.
    Sorry, but there’s a couple other folks that can do it. Hopefully they can check in.
    This is going to be a tough year for the mint 🤨

@Goldbully said:
    I checked the amount of 3 coin sets left using my browser page source....2723.

Not even 50% sold.

Can anyone else verify this number for me?

@zyskowski1

Negro leagues I see - 1741

data-available="1741.0"

Purple Heart I see 2636

data-available="2636.0"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file