Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program Thread***…On sale Jan. 6th!

Comments

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Looks like they will be up for awhile.

• Options

@JeffM said:
    Yes, there appear to be issues with the quality of these coins. However, it's nothing like the big QC issues they are having in the UK with Royal Mint releases. The Royal Mint is bent on quickly issuing coin after coin, shipments are running late because they can't keep up, and QC is almost non-existent there.

Quality is non-existent on these also. I have seen over 200 of these and it is terrible.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 4:47AM

I'm amazed that the privy NLB Silver $1 is still available at 7:47am EST.
    5179 available??

• Options

Did you see how many were available?

• Options

@OLC said:
    Did you see how many were available?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the W proof ase was a bunch of nothing and it appears (although mine is lovely) that they messed these up , also 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Something is fishy here. These coins were unavailable for months, and now suddenly over 5,000 appear?

• Options

This is the same thing that happened with the Rhode Island & Vermont Innovation Dollars. The Kennedy Halves this year. About a week after release thousands appear. To soon for returns to be processed. Nobody seems to really care that this is happening.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2022 5:05AM

They are moving slowly.....5099 remain.

Could take days at this rate.....unless the big boys decide to get back in.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Nothing fishy just dogs. Lots of cancellations myself included. & they were available many a morning after release.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

@OLC said:
    This is the same thing that happened with the Rhode Island & Vermont Innovation Dollars. The Kennedy Halves this year. About a week after release thousands appear. To soon for returns to be processed. Nobody seems to really care that this is happening.

Nobody at the Mint. that’s for sure 🤨

• Options

4278 remaining.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    has anyone called the mint hotline, entered their order number, and were told it would ship "today" by the automated person? Only to have it not ship..

Just like what you get from so many ebay deals. You get the "your item has been shipped" notification with the tracking number. Then, for the next 3 or 4 days, when you check the tracking number on the USPS site, you get "label created, USPS awaiting item".

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone buy the clad unc half dollar that could report on quality issues? I haven’t seen/heard anything about that coin.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

r

@1madman said:
    Did anyone buy the clad unc half dollar that could report on quality issues? I haven’t seen/heard anything about that coin.

I have the clad proof half dollar and there are no quality issues with it, unlike the privy silver dollar.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still over 3000 privy left

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of the Tuesday 5/15 sales report 19,909 out of the 20,000 limit were sold. Where did the mint get 5,000 of these coins? Did they pull them out of their *$$ ? Or did the big boys return their rejects that were not fit for grading?

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually have terrible luck but got both types of half dollar, an unc. dollar and the privy proof dollar as well as an unc. $5 and excellent quality on all of them.
    I think the mint is really trying the gambit of decreasing volume and increasing prices to maximize per unit profit and maybe even shut down different lines of offerings. Conspiracy reigns but to that end might well pursue "artificial" shortages to promote the cause. Seems to work for private industry with all the supply games going on now....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    As of the Tuesday 5/15 sales report 19,909 out of the 20,000 limit were sold. Where did the mint get 5,000 of these coins? Did they pull them out of their *$$ ? Or did the big boys return their rejects that were not fit for grading?

Canceled orders.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

All joking aside the big sellers are able to get what they need for grading without going to the flipper market. The presell 70 versions of these coins sold very slowly and the premium was not that high. Many flippers cancelling or returning their orders is most likely. Even some of the big dealers may be returning their coins as demand for slabbed coins does not appear to be very high. It will be hard to flip for a fast buck except for issues in great demand with very low mintages.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

I was not joking. It was flat out canceled orders. For the big boys or the little boys the writing was on the wall with the prices being realized on the bay.
    It was not a case of the big boys returning their rejects. Too many returns and your account is canceled & for high volume buyers who get a discount this would not be an option to undertake. It's not like they can just open a few more accounts with the quantity they are buying at an agreed upon discount.
    The "reject" conspiracy is getting kind of old.... just like most other conspiracies still being thrown out there.

• Options

@fox9487 said:
    I was not joking. It was flat out canceled orders. For the big boys or the little boys the writing was on the wall with the prices being realized on the bay.
    It was not a case of the big boys returning their rejects. Too many returns and your account is canceled & for high volume buyers who get a discount this would not be an option to undertake. It's not like they can just open a few more accounts with the quantity they are buying at an agreed upon discount.
    The "reject" conspiracy is getting kind of old.... just like most other conspiracies still being thrown out there.

Two things. 1. I was referring to my joking not you. 2. I said RETURNS not rejects meaning some shipped orders may be returned without opening .

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to buy the three piece Proof set. The $5 gold I received was scratched, and I returned it with a request for another set. I have heard nothing. If I get a set at all, it will probably take months.

I would like to keep up with the silver Proof sets, but from now on that’s all I will be buying from the mint. The mint now charges high prices for inferior merchandise in cheap packages.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Yes, the packaging is starting to get really annoying - or lack thereof. I guess the US Mint felt people really didn't care and so did so. Remember the $5 Capitol [renovation] coin where you could get a small discount for getting the coin in capsule, all "packaged" in a zip-loc bag?

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2022 9:46AM

Here is my take based on my observations.

The first batch of the Negro Privy coins were terrible, my opinion was that approximately 40% of the coins were non-gradable due to significant spotting/smear of something on the coins. I imagine if anyone submitted the first batch of coins without first inspecting each coin, there were many rejects or 69's. I imagine any bulk dealer that did inspect the initial batch, quickly canceled their remaining coins OR those that were getting grades in (which would be about a week ago) quickly canceled the remaining orders. It appears that large orders, 99 sets, were shipped in the last batch a week or so ago, so it wouldn't take too many orders to get canceled to get to the current # available.

However, I will say that the second batch, shipped about a week ago, are far superior across the board. I had 1% of the coins with any issues. The interesting thing is the second batch of coins, it appears the coins were hand pressed, or at least not seated all the way into the display case. I've never seen that before, the coins were raised about 1-2mm above where they usually are in the holder.

Two questions:
    Did the United States Mint recognize poor quality of the first batch, and hold off releasing the second batch until resolved?
    How many of the first batch were returned and are they going back into the equation.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2022 7:05PM

@jessewvu
    If that pans out now I do not mind that I had to wait for the second batch. All five of mine are 70's in my eyes. :)

• Options
    edited May 31, 2022 7:43AM

HSN has pr70 privy coins for $249.95 + $9.95 he says they are already sold out at the mint. Still thousands available. LOL

• Options

@HATTRICK said:
    HSN has pr70 privy coins for $249.95 + $9.95 they are already sold out. LOL

Only 18 left.

https://www.hsn.com/products/2022-pr70-fdoi-le-147-negro-leagues-baseball-privy-mark/20593932

• Options
  • Options

As if by magic they had Advance Release slabs, FDOI slabs and plain slabs of the uncirculated ASE last night a week before the official release date. Shows you what the BS slabs really are. They rushed them out because they know the $*it will hit the fan next week

• Options

These dang things are still available. 😳
    20,000 is a tiny mintage. Very strange 🤨🙀🦫

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    These dang things are still available. 😳
    20,000 is a tiny mintage. Very strange 🤨🙀🦫

3172 remain.

• Options

They were shown as unavailable for days. Demand for resale was low and many complaints of poor quality surfaced.
    Orders were cancelled and returned which resulted in approximately 5,000 coming back on the market. People are unaware they are back on sale or no longer care. These coins are DOA except for the TV guys selling 70's for $ 250.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2022 4:34AM

Yesterday at 5:20pm.....3172 remain.

Today, 22 hours later....3136 remain.

Talk about a botched rollout for an important commemorative coin.

• Options

I wonder if they will do these like they did the basketball coins last year. As I recall, they were a slow seller so the mint got pissy and slammed a sold out sign up early? 😉🙀🦫

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

I believe it was mentioned earlier by another member but these are def cancellations of larger orders —since the potential buyers and offers aren’t there for these coins.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still wish they would stop doing the sandblasting effect for the proofs, especially on human skin 😕

this isn’t lizard league baseball

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

I have one I bought along with the privy. These are gifts for my grandson.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

At this juncture, 2701 privy silver $1's remain.

• Options

It’s still available. It would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic. 😉🙀🦫

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It’s still available. It would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic. 😉🙀🦫

Yes, I wonder how/why this happened. All of a sudden, over 3K coins pop up out of nowhere? I wonder if these are returns and/or dealer rejects?

• Options

I think that it gives some clues as to the MO of the mint and their "customers". I really feel that we can not trust the mint, and they tend to run things like a lottery over there with occasionally letting a winner go that slips under the radar.
    This seems to stimulate buyer interest and then they get a bunch of "sell outs" with flippers going wild. It really is enough to get old timers like me to shun them by stages. I do no longer get mint sets, proof sets, satin finish SAEs, gold proofs, ordinary SAEs. Think I might get ready to go cold turkey on them....

• Options

Currently 2355 privy silver $1's remain .

That's 346 sold in 48 hours.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    Currently 2355 privy silver $1's remain .

That's 346 sold in 48 hours.

That’s a friggin disgrace. 😉🦫🙀

• Options

Currently 2239 privy silver $1's remain .

The Mint really blew this rollout.

• Options

OK, check this one.

On June 4th there were 2239 privy silver $1's remaining.

As of today, right now there are 2426 remaining.

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Love them. I'm in Alabama. Sorry for being a homey. And I'm part black.
    Satchel Paige.

• Options

These dang things are gunna be available for x-mas. Sad🤨🙀🦫

• Options

The Privy Dollar is still selling slow. As of now 1,038 left. I give it about two more months at the most.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    These dang things are gunna be available for x-mas. Sad🤨🙀🦫

@HATTRICK said:
    The Privy Dollar is still selling slow. As of now 1,038 left. I give it about two more months at the most.

So you get October 1st and I’ll take January 1st. 😉🦫🙀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file