Home U.S. Coin Forum

Most Beautiful Ike Dollar I've ever seen

Coming up in a Legend Auction ...

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be bidding

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

The exact opposite of what I like on coins : modesty and discretion !!
    Sorry, I wouldn't bid even 10 bucks on that one

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

Most Ugliest Ike Dollar I've ever seen

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I'm sure it's prettier in hand, that photo makes it look like a blow torched AT cartoon. I'd throw $20 at it if I saw it at a local shop just for the fun of it...

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of those 'cooked' coins from years ago. Just saying...

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 5:17AM

That’s one I would like to see in hand and I plan to try.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is definitely an “eye of the beholder” situation.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd pass on that Ike

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price is ridiculous on that one. I remember seeing a bunch of toned Ike’s images on this very forum over the years that looked as good as this one but I don’t think they were going for over $10,000.

Mr_Spud

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

that lime green, magenta, tangerine and azure remind me of one of the past sellers on eBay that frequently had similar

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we’re going for looks
    This is hard to beat

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 8:59AM

apologies for the OT inquiry but did you take an educational note image and put it into one of the new-age image enhancers for your avatar?

i've seen some b&w images/video being AMAZINGLY transformed with these processes.

even images where large parts are missing. those are insanely impressive.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight pass by me.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 9:12AM

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Coming up in a Legend Auction ...

I found a dime in the bottom of the washing machine last week that is toned(?) very similar to that Ike. It got me to thinking.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the new "hologram" Ike variety? Those colors are too much for me though best of luck to the winning bidder.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Unbelievable... Why spend a fortune when you can make your own? Cheers, RickO

BINGO!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is beautiful. Not a peacock Ike. I'd love to see those who claim it can be easily replicated, do so. Those Christmas colors on a Morgan- or even more so on a Peace dollar would command attention.

peacockcoins

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to prefer concentric, bulls-eye type tone or rim tone, but this one looks quite nice. I can understand that some don't like it, but to those who say "torched" and the like, please explain to me how that would be done this exquisitely while not influencing the reverse??

all I will disagree with is the estimate which should probably be closer to $5-$7k.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis - does this draw your interest?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 11:34AM

Save for the rare prototype proof, there is no such thing as an Ike worth five figures or more IMHO.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Save for the rare prototype proof, there is no such thing as an Ike worth more than $10k IMHO.

My threshold would be quite a bit lower! :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I am reading it right, PCGS Guide price is $800 on that MS68+ ... so technically it's an $800 coin, untoned. I might estimate about 4x to 5x of that with the color, so I think a better market value might be $4,000 or so. Not sure where Legend got their $20,000 estimate from. But who knows where the auction might go. All it takes is 2 people falling in love for a price to go nuclear. Someone did post it's a beauty in the eye of the beholder coin - thats true with most toners.

If I was still collecting toners, I might have been interested in this in the low to possibly mid $1,000's, but I'd have a hard time going over that. I do agree that the toning pattern is a bit weird/unusual, and might put this in a 50/50 category in terms of AT -- maybe even as high as 70/30 (AT to NT). Tell you one thing tho, the cookers are getting better if they can manufacture stuff like this. And if that's true, that doesn't bode well for huge toning premiums maintaining themselves over time. Should be interesting to watch.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 9:44AM

I would feel a lot better about this if this coin followed the Sunnywood progression! Interestingly though, this Franklin never could get a NT grade from PCGS. So I am not sure what kind of criteria PCGS uses to separate NT from AT. It might just depend on the mood of the grading team at a particular moment in time.

• al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

I have come to the conclusion coins toned like this have been the center of controversy between NT and AT with many saying they do not look natural and others saying the opposite. Buy what you like as that question of NT or AT may never have a absolute answer.
    Al

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard it said that if you repeat a word / phrase three times, you are more than likely to remember it. (Wow, Wow, Wow!)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec nice twin brother.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very ugly to my eyes, but I'm sure that will not prevent this reaching moon money.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

No CAC, so JA likely did not like the color.

The toning is only on one side, so it's likely not album toning, and very likely did not tone that way in the mint packaging. Maybe it was placed face down in one of those old Mehgrig holders. Or maybe it was thrown in an original Morgan Dollar bag 40 years ago!

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pattern of the toning makes no sense to me. And the colors just don't do it either. Pass - Pass - Pass.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... and we all decide what we want to spend our money on.

----- kj
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Colorful toned 74-S MS silvers in Coinfacts are toned on both sides. The "uniface" color on this one is quite perplexing . . .

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

In conclusion, I don't care for the toning on that Ike at all.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely hard pass !

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not look natural to me. Even if I were into this kind of thing, it would be a pass for me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

$15,000 for an Ike dollar?
    No, thanks.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love toned coins as much as anyone, but this would have to be one I'd have to see in person to make a decision. Usually there is a slight bit of reverse rim toning if the obverse is this deeply toned.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I love toned coins as much as anyone, but this would have to be one I'd have to see in person to make a decision. Usually there is a slight bit of reverse rim toning if the obverse is this deeply toned.

it is possible it was.

i've dipped a couple coins over the years to remove some wonky toning on just one side while the other was amazingly toned. just have to be careful.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be sweet being so much smarter than the graders and finalizers of PCGS, along with the team of Spectrum Numismatics! I wish to be so gifted, yet alas, I am not—a mere mortal without the expertise to condemn via photos instead of notables viewing this coin in hand.
    (Least I am accused of being too sarcastic, I state the above with love in my voice.)

peacockcoins

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens to the value as the toning progresses further? Where do the colors go from here? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 3:20PM

as the toning progresses further? Where do the colors go from here?

there is no reason to believe that the color will progress, that it is anything but stable. your statement pre-supposes that all tone eventually continues until it is black.

I have seen far too many coins encapsulated in holders which are dated to the early 1990's to believe that is even remotely true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file