Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****Official Silver Eagle 2021 Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Designer Edition Order Thread #2****

Comments

• Options

@RichR said:
    [Alright! Shipping label created! Now, just another two weeks and I'll have it in hand!]

Try Christmas!

🎶 "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."🎶 🙃

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 4:43PM

@HoneyMarket said:
    For those with recent shipping history with Mint Budget Shipping over the past few years, is this shipping behavior par for the course or has it gotten longer and longer?

Ex. USPS Label finally gets printed (two weeks after ordering) but then it's 5+ days until the package actually shows up in the USPS tracking system? ...and then who knows who long for actual delivery (I'll bet 95% of packages arrive quicker than the period of time between a label being printed and actually being able to be tracked at USPS.com

From my experience, the time the post office gets the package to the time of delivery is pretty much on course and documented very well with tracking.

The real culprit is the lag time between the mint fulfillment center creating the shipping label to actually reaching the item across to USPS which has sort of gone from bad to worse lately.

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

11516xxx is still processing.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a shipping notice.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 5:15PM

@vulcanize said:
    The real culprit is the lag time between the mint fulfillment center creating the shipping label to actually reaching the item across to USPS which has sort of gone from bad to worse lately.

I agree - that lag time in Memphis is unacceptable in this day and age - especially considering the premium being paid.
    It's not as though there is a shortage of raw materials as there is in other industries right now.
    ...or cargo ships awaiting outside the ports to deliver goods.

These coins should be well stocked and available in the Mint's fulfillment center prior to the sale date - unlike where we were informed it would be months until shipment. It's as though the Mint is making them now...and THEN shipping them to Memphis to be distributed.

My own label was printed on the 23rd and has been listed on the Mint's website as "Shipped"...yet the USPS only says a shipping label was created. Somewhere in Memphis, is a label with my address on it...that's been sitting there for 5+ days and yet the Mint states that it has been shipped!

Here's a good analogy on the Mint's Fulfillment process (for those who live in the south):

Amazon Fulfillment = Chick Fil A drive-thru
    US Mint Fulfillment = Whataburger drive-thru

BST references available on request

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope I don't jinx myself but actually got tracking update after one day.............gonna be a long 4 day wait!

Expected Delivery by
    SATURDAY
    OCTOBER
    by
    9:00pm

Status
    Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
    September 28, 2021 at 2:19 pm

LA VERGNE, TN 37086

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 6:36PM

my last 6 orders before burnished label 2 days after order, one or two days to USPS then three days to me, East Coast. One even made it in two days. Burnished sat 5 days after label before live at USPS then three days to me.
    This reverse proof set is still processing. Shipping method finally changed to USPS this morning and hoping label printed tomorrow. Will see where it goes from there.
    my order number was 1154XXXX at 1:09PM
    Shipping is still "Like a box of chocolates"

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping label created - 1153xxxx, my order went in around the 70 minute mark if I recall correctly.

Jim

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 362 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

That's awful. Perhaps it's a speck of gold! Or someone was having a donut during packaging... :( Milk spotting is awful too, can't those appear anytime during storage??

I am going to try dipping it to see if that helps. I will probably end up just buying another eventually. I've been getting a lot of 70s from the mint lately, so I guess it's my turn for something less spectacular. Milk spots can occur any time, I have a couple in holders that have developed them after being slabbed. I live in a very low humidity area, they are stored in a humidity controlled safe, and they still develop on some coins.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your analysis of spotting. I now avoid paying premiums for 70 silver Eagles given the issue. I too live in low humidity area. And some here believe it is an issue with the slabs.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest other solvents, but they wouldn’t be any I’ve tried.

This is a can’t live and learn situation.

My specks with a film around it have been dark gray. Acetone remover the film and the speck.

Yours is more of a yellowish color.

I do not know what it is. Perhaps it is another type of lubricant.

It’d be lovely to test various solvents. I just don’t have any experience with them and silver.

Although you isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol to dissolve it. They won’t hurt silver.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint and the shipping is just frustrating. For what ever reason, they always seem to ship mine much later than everyone else. I have noticed this for a few years, they are not even close to first in first out. I have an order 11504xxx that is still "processing".

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

@Batman23 11501XXX shipped for me a couple of days ago.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

After a month of PROCESSING and finally getting a SHIPPED notification, you check the USPS tracking and get another PROCESSING. What a process.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    After a month of PROCESSING and finally getting a SHIPPED notification, you check the USPS tracking and get another PROCESSING. What a process.

That's quite a bit to process.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see a flip this AM....because I did not...2 days running.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

I didn't see a flip, either...

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

I didn't see a flip, either...

The hamster is too busy taping up boxes!

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

No flip, but the two coins .10 oz gold set flipped. I managed to get it in my cart but couldn't complete checkout.
    That's the set other than the ASE set I've been trying to get.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 7:36AM

I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got my USM shipping notice this morning and USPS awaiting item. With the USPS slowdown starting 10/01, what a joke, they have slowed down about 3 years ago, figure I'll receive it around 10/8.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Just got my USM shipping notice this morning and USPS awaiting item. With the USPS slowdown starting 10/01, what a joke, they have slowed down about 3 years ago, figure I'll receive it around 10/8.

My last shipping notice from the mint came a full week before my item got into the mailstream.

The shipping notice I received Monday night means it should be delivered by Halloween.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

my order number was 1154XXXX at 1:09PM first day
    1. Tuesday morning 9/28 shipping method changed to USPS
    2. Wednesday morning 9/29 shipping label printed

I will update the progress "As the Hamster Turns"

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

My first set says delivered at my post office box and it is spoken for.
    The second set ordered later is still processing.

• Options

thinking by Christmas too!

• Options
    CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

From the first day 9/13: pick up #1 today at PO Box, #2 on its way moving and a third (USM1149xxxx) is still processing. Three others picked up in mornings still all processing. 5 of 6 are spoken for and will keep one set just because I kind of like RP's with the design change, etc... :|

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering, can we open them up to look for milk spots before sending in for first strike grading? Or do we have to send them in unopened to get first strike?

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 8:45AM

Speak of the second devil set, I just got shipped notice.
    Mindy, It depends on the first strike cut off day, typically 30 days after they go on sale, for opened boxes.
    The milk spotting issue (given the added costs) concerns me more after the fact of grading than before.

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the answer. So unopened boxes can be sent in past 30 days?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the usps is losing more packages then ever too..
    Reports of mail loss greatly concern us. Regrettably, when such instances are brought to our attention, there is no sure way of determining what may have happened. With the large volume of mail moving through our network each day, it is impossible to track an item, without the scans being accurately made in processing. Only Registered Mail, which is accounted for during its entire journey, can be accurately traced.

An apology is no substitute for good service, but I want to offer one on behalf of the Postal Service. We appreciate your reporting this matter to us. It helps to know the kinds of difficulties our customers have so we can work toward improvements. The loss of any piece of mail is as disappointing to us as it is to you.

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:

The package mailed to PCGS must be postmarked before or on the PCGS cutoff date for that particular coin/issue. Only the coins need to be mailed to PCGS within the first 30 days of of issue.

**Cutoff Date = 10/13/21 **

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 10:10AM

Learning how to knit 1157 not yet
    Processing

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

@Onastone said:

That's awful. Perhaps it's a speck of gold! Or someone was having a donut during packaging... :( Milk spotting is awful too, can't those appear anytime during storage??

I am going to try dipping it to see if that helps. I will probably end up just buying another eventually. I've been getting a lot of 70s from the mint lately, so I guess it's my turn for something less spectacular. Milk spots can occur any time, I have a couple in holders that have developed them after being slabbed. I live in a very low humidity area, they are stored in a humidity controlled safe, and they still develop on some coins.

For $175, I would have expected a lot more. I'd send it back.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mindy9773 said:

Yes. Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date.

i.e. There is no cutoff date for unopened boxes with a postmark from the mint in the first 30 days of release.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

got my shipping notice 20 minutes ago, USM1156xx, first strike elegible is all i care about

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    got my shipping notice 20 minutes ago, USM1156xx, first strike elegible is all i care about

11475 still processing.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 2:36PM

@coinpalice said:

Getting closer 1157. It’s moving

• Options

USM1151 day 1 order, still processing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I was really hoping that for a day or two things would go in order. Not to be. Sorry.
    I didn’t receive the shipping email first I noticed the change in the my order section of mint website from processing to shipped.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Order # USM11547XXX

September 28, 2021
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got shipping notice on my second set.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@Mindy9773 said:

Yes. Submit the coins in the original unopened shipping box from the U.S. Mint with a postmark date prior to the specified PCGS cutoff date.

i.e. There is no cutoff date for unopened boxes with a postmark from the mint in the first 30 days of release.

Be sure to check your unopened box for a "postmark date".

A couple of my recent orders were shipped 'budget/USPS First Class', and there was no "postmark date" on the box, just a tracking number. And, USPS tracking information expires. Link

IOW, holding an unopened box beyond the USPS record retention period could be problematic with respect FS designation (i.e., no "postmark date" on box, and "expired" tracking information).

FWIW - I have started to 'save' the 'delivered' USPS tracking webpage for FS eligible boxes that I receive, and intend to keep unopened for an extended period. If I ever submit, I plan to include this historic tracking information with the unopened boxes. I do NOT know whether this approach will be successful in obtaining the FS designation in the future.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question for you on the first strike I submitted the five coin set from 2011 earlier this year in an unopened box that I purchased on the BST. I got first strike on it. Did they tighten up the rules or something on recent stuff?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2021 5:31PM

@MetroD said:

@VanHalen said:

@Mindy9773 said:

IOW, holding an unopened box beyond the USPS record retention period could be problematic with respect FS designation (i.e., no "postmark date" on box, and "expired" tracking information).

FWIW - I have started to 'save' the 'delivered' USPS tracking webpage for FS eligible boxes that I receive, and intend to keep unopened for an extended period. If I ever submit, I plan to include this historic tracking information with the unopened boxes. I do NOT know whether this approach will be successful in obtaining the FS designation in the future.

I don't think any modern US Mint shipping box or label has a postmark. If the USPS shipping data is not available, the enclosed invoice will show when the item was shipped (label/envoice printed).

Not an arguement, but a question... I am seriously unsure.

My question for PCGS is; If I recall correctly in the past, the "First Strike" clock did not start ticking when the items were released for sale, but when "shipping" was first verified. I believe that this was verified during the 2009 UHRDE shipping fiasco. As I now understand, the "First Strike" clock begins when items are released for sale (I understand that same day shipping is possible). What will the situation be if/when the Morgan/Peace "pre-sales" is/are deemed sold out with no official sale date? When will those/that "First Strike" clock start, 30 days from when?

(l8-)>>

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Question for you on the first strike I submitted the five coin set from 2011 earlier this year in an unopened box that I purchased on the BST. I got first strike on it. Did they tighten up the rules or something on recent stuff?

As far as I know, the FS rules for unopened boxes have not changed recently.

The box from the Mint needs to be "unopened", and PCGS needs to be able to verify a "postmark date" (i.e., confirm FS eligibility).

My recent 'budget' deliveries from the Mint do not have a "postmark date" on them. Hence, the extra step to document delivery timing. Again, do not know if PCGS will accept this alternate documentation.

Do you remember if your 2011 box had a "postmark date" on it?

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 7:19AM

@edgar said:
    I don't think any modern US Mint shipping box or label has a postmark. If the USPS shipping data is not available, the enclosed invoice will show when the item was shipped (label/envoice printed).

[...]

Excellent point. :) I had not thought of this.

Edited to Add:
    I contacted PCGS CS about this issue on 10/01/21.

The rep I talked with said that they can, and do, use the "packing slip" to establish FS eligibility. :)

@edgar said:
    [...]

My question for PCGS is; If I recall correctly in the past, the "First Strike" clock did not start ticking when the items were released for sale, but when "shipping" was first verified. I believe that this was verified during the 2009 UHRDE shipping fiasco. As I now understand, the "First Strike" clock begins when items are released for sale (I understand that same day shipping is possible). What will the situation be if/when the Morgan/Peace "pre-sales" is/are deemed sold out with no official sale date? When will those/that "First Strike" clock start, 30 days from when?

I cannot speak for PCGS.

That said, the 'Morgan/Peace' dollars are not currently on the FS schedule. Link
    My guess - they will be added to the schedule, and the clock will start, once they begin to ship.

• Options

I don’t know what they will do with the FS and even more FDOI.

It was once first received by pcgs, I think. It could have been first shipped but how do they know when that was. Which is why we’re wondering how they will handle the peace and Morgans

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t remember if it did or not to be honest. What spurred my question is I sent two 2021 w’s in, in unopened box and got a call from PCGS that they were not FS eligible. I am guessing, same problem voiced here, no post mark. I had mistakenly believed unopened box equals first strike if you want to pay for it. Appears I was way off base

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

Tracking # on box should serve the same purpose as the postmark. It’s traceable and you can attach a printout.

• Options

so i can leave my coins unopened in box and grade a year from now and still get first strike?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file