Now a 50%+ premium on that single ASE from APMEX. . . plus shipping

What silver premiums? LOL

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Now a 50%+ premium on that single ASE from APMEX. . . plus shipping

What silver premiums? LOL

Keep stacking those 50% premiums. Go get em Ace. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

who'da thunk. . . 50% premiums for gutters. lol

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2022 6:29PM

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch. My local bullion shop this morning...

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

^^^Margins like that on ASE's will destroy your loyal customer base in fairly short order...

Looks like ASE premiums paid in the past also carry a profit margin.

@derryb said:

Yup half way home now add in inflation and maybe another 5 decades you will make it back to break even. Stack on! LOL

Hard to believe some folk still champion premiums.

edited March 4, 2022 5:54PM

@cohodk said:

Champion premiums indicate champion product, something a wise man advised seekers of opinion on what to buy for years right on this very forum.

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Yup half way home now add in inflation and maybe another 5 decades you will make it back to break even. Stack on! LOL

Been selling off some ASEs all week at a nice profit for the next big crypto move. Break even? lol. I'm not a loser like you. I actually know what "buy low, sell high" means. But if it makes you feel better to troll those that do know something about trading silver, troll on. I do believe you have become my crypto good luck charm.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to champion anything. Premiums are what they are because the market makes that determination.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Champion premiums indicate champion product, something a wise man advised seekers of opinion on what to buy for years right on this very forum.

There is a seller offering ASEs for a lesser premium on this board....i guess the champ lost his belt?

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Can you please explain how buying something at 20 and selling at 32 is better than buying at 16 and selling for 26?

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Been selling off some ASEs all week at a nice profit for the next big crypto move. Break even? lol. I'm not a loser like you. I actually know what "buy low, sell high" means. But if it makes you feel better to troll those that do know something about trading silver, troll on. I do believe you have become my crypto good luck charm.

Glad to finally see you moving off from the gutter. Hopefully you will fare better in your new crypto endeavor. Good luck Ace! THKS!!

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

There is a seller offering ASEs for a lesser premium on this board....i guess the champ lost his belt?

That seller would be me. I actually won the bet by buying silver eagles at a higher premium than generic products way back then because now I can sell at a lower premium than others because of great profit over cost.

edited March 5, 2022 9:10AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

That seller would be me. I actually won the bet by buying silver eagles at a higher premium than generic products way back then because now I can sell at a lower premium than others which ensures more buyers. Any sacrifice in premium is being made up by the great profit margin over initial cost. As they say, "buy low, sell high."

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Can you please explain how buying something at 20 and selling at 32 is better than buying at 16 and selling for 26?

Sure, a $12 gain is always better than the $10 gain regardless of initial cost or any premiums on either side of the trade.

You have some strange math skills derryb.

Derryb logic...."Haha, you think your so smart....you only made $20 on your $100 investment. But i made $100 on my $1000 investment. I made 5x what you did. You pathetic troll. Buwhahahah!!"

Try again.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

That seller would be me. I actually won the bet by buying silver eagles at a higher premium than generic products way back then because now I can sell at a lower premium than others because of great profit over cost.

Why didnt you just buy the generic at no premium and then sell at no premium? You would have made a greater profit.

@cohodk said:
    You have some strange math skills derryb.

Derryb logic...."Haha, you think your so smart....you only made $20 on your $100 investment. But i made $100 on my $1000 investment. I made 5x what you did. You pathetic troll. Buwhahahah!!"

Try again.

The gain I deposit in the bank is the bottom line. The cost for it was temporary and returned to my pocket.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Why didnt you just buy the generic at no premium and then sell at no premium? You would have made a greater profit.

Work on your math skills, the ASEs provided a greater total return, and were much more attractive to buyers. The ASEs have the added profit in their currently much higher premiums.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Work on your math skills, the ASEs provided a greater total return

No they didnt.

You learn math from ZH or RT.com?

edited March 5, 2022 11:45AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Work on your math skills, the ASEs provided a greater total return

No they didnt.

My math skills say a $12 gain is always better than a $10 gain. When depositing my gain into my bank account It doesn't matter if my $12 return is on a $100 investment or a $1 investment. The reason it doesn't matter is because I also got back that initial investment regardless of the amount. The initial investment was a temporary cost that was fully returned.

Because of varying levels of risk with different investments, the "smartest" investment is not always the "best" investment. Higher percentage returns are usually a result of higher risk.

@derryb said:

Higher percentage returns are usually a result of higher risk.

Actually higher returns are from doing ones homework. Id rather make 80% of the return on 20% of the risk. Which is why i dont champion premium. I champion risk adjusted rate of return.

Premium is very arbitrary. The premium you want is different than what APMEX wants and since that arbitrary number is variable it represents additional risk.

edited March 6, 2022 9:46PM

Id rather make 80% of the return on 20% of the risk. Which is why i dont champion premium. I champion risk adjusted rate of return.

Premium is mostly based on market perception and market conditions. At one time, the difference in premium between ASEs and silver rounds wasn't nearly what it is now. ASEs now carry much higher premiums than before and are no longer as attractive relative to other bullion - but some advantages still remain. They are an official coinage of US govt - of known purity & weight, with a solid reputation. Silver rounds can't claim that. Again, it's somewhat a question of market perception.

I knew it would happen.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 1:06PM

(*as of 3.17.22 @4:05pm EST)

edited March 17, 2022 5:05PM

Premiums? What premiums.

What do they tell us? (and don't ask coho or blitzboy because they still do not know.)

Premium is the blue line and are based on JM Bullion prices:

My new girlfriend. I'm worried that she might be a silver digger.

APMEX, some peeps just like to buy high, really high, much higher than they need to compared to other major online dealers. Crazy world, more dollars than cent. RGDS!

edited March 17, 2022 5:46PM

@blitzdude said:
    APMEX, some peeps just like to buy high, really high, much higher than they need to compared to other major online dealers. Crazy world, more dollars than cent. RGDS!

I am finding $37 and change - and that is buying 100 ounces of silver eagles. Where have you found them cheaper?

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

I am find $37 and change - and that is buying 100 ounces of silver eagles. Where have you found them cheaper?

The PM forum BST thread?

@derryb said:

>

The PM forum BST thread?

eBay

edited March 17, 2022 6:34PM

@taxmad said:

I am finding $37 and change - and that is buying 100 ounces of silver eagles. Where have you found them cheaper?

The PM forum BST thread.

@jmski52 said:
    Id rather make 80% of the return on 20% of the risk. Which is why i dont champion premium. I champion risk adjusted rate of return.

Premium is mostly based on market perception and market conditions. At one time, the difference in premium between ASEs and silver rounds wasn't nearly what it is now. ASEs now carry much higher premiums than before and are no longer as attractive relative to other bullion - but some advantages still remain. They are an official coinage of US govt - of known purity & weight, with a solid reputation. Silver rounds can't claim that. Again, it's somewhat a question of market perception.

demand for the product determines the product's premium. ASE premiums tell us that their demand is higher than other silver products. As 'ski' said ASEs are highly respected and sought after.

I have paid the higher premium over the years for ASEs knowing that it would be returned when I sold. Boy was I wrong - I'm seeing gains on the premium as well as on the item.

edited March 17, 2022 11:12PM

@cohodk said:

Because, thanks to growing premiums on ASEs, I'm making profit on the premium I initially paid as well.

from page 1,

after big moves down prices are sticky at the higher level for a while then fall.

What I don't know is buyers reaction to that. Myself if I wanted ASE's and they jumped to 38 I would ,wait a week for the premium to decline.

That is called price discovery.

That is price discovery in a localized market, a real market (not Comex).

I knew it would happen.
    edited March 18, 2022 8:23AM

premiums are in the gutter. lol

edited March 18, 2022 4:44PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Because, thanks to growing premiums on ASEs, I'm making profit on the premium I initially paid as well.

No not really...........Well, maybe in your spreadsheet.....lol

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

@derryb I remember back in 12/18 you posted rolls of ASE from MCM, after ebucks and 2% CC rebate the premiums per coin was like 34 cents. So yeah, you nailed that one for sure. As well as others...

Dont think we will ever see those ebucks + sales + 2% CC, deals again. Those were the days. You were all over it. I followed you on several of them.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

But he is still not profiting from paying a 34¢ premium to someone else.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited March 18, 2022 11:39PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    But he is still not profiting from paying a 34¢ premium to someone else.

sure he is. his buyers are paying him a premium that is over 20X the premium he paid. Then there's the profit on the ASEs themselves. he's happy or he wouldn't be selling off a few of them and putting the money into more Ethereum.

@derryb said:
    Premiums? What premiums.

What do they tell us? (and don't ask coho or blitzboy because they still do not know.)

>

A sucker born every minute?

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Derry was selling them for $32. What does that tell you about premiums?

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Derry has lower overhead than those selling on eBay and is happy selling at a price he thinks will entice a buyer?

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Derry has lower overhead than those selling on eBay and is happy selling at a price he thinks will entice a buyer?

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Or he doesnt believe in ridiculous premiums and feela he must do something to "entice" someone?

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

His current price is $35.50 and remains cheaper than most. What does that tell you about premiums?

edited March 19, 2022 9:41AM

@blitzdude said:

ASE always commands a premium over other govt issues but the gap is much wider at the moment probably due to the fact that they stopped shipping type 1 coins in early April in preparation of the Type 2 release. There has been no change in mint released ASE sales figures for almost 5 weeks. Once Type 2 starts shipping I am sure the premium will remain high due to people wanting the new design but once people have their type 2 example look for premiums to drop significantly.

Well, ten months later the mint is spitting out ASEs like bad fish and the premium gap continues to grow.

There's a reason why buyers have always paid and continue to pay the higher premium for ASEs. Those that understood this years ago are seeing a profit on their paid premiums as well as on their once cheaper ASEs.

Oh, and for those that have not noticed the current premium for a single, random date ASE is now 63% plus shipping. Yea, APMEX is high, but for tracking purposes this thread uses APMEX data to provide an accurate snapshot of premiums, not prices. And those premiums continue to rise.

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

ASE always commands a premium over other govt issues but the gap is much wider at the moment probably due to the fact that they stopped shipping type 1 coins in early April in preparation of the Type 2 release. There has been no change in mint released ASE sales figures for almost 5 weeks. Once Type 2 starts shipping I am sure the premium will remain high due to people wanting the new design but once people have their type 2 example look for premiums to drop significantly.

Well, ten months later the mint is spitting out ASEs like bad fish and the premium gap continues to grow.

Spitting ASEs out like badfish? 2022 has the lowest number of ASEs minted at this point since 2018.

I've never paid more than $2 over for an ASE and I have green boxes full of them. Anyone paying 63% premiums needs to have their head examined not to mention they will be extremely disappointed when they decide to sell. As for your big profit, you're not even back to break even. LOL gutter cant even keep up with inflation.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Spitting ASEs out like badfish? 2022 has the lowest number of ASEs minted at this point since 2018.

I've never paid more than $2 over for an ASE and I have green boxes full of them. Anyone paying 63% premiums needs to have their head examined not to mention they will be extremely disappointed when they decide to sell. As for your big profit, you're not even back to break even. LOL gutter cant even keep up with inflation.

I've ordered monster boxes this year and the last order for 2022 SAEs is spot plus $10 plus shipping.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I've ordered monster boxes this year and the last order for 2022 SAEs is spot plus $10 plus shipping.

That's well below what Authorized Purchasers pay directly from the mint. Share with us where you are getting them.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few sources for silver. The first monster box was $8.50 over spot. Second order was $7.90 over. This last order was +$10 over spot.
    Dorado Trade Group. Tell them Joe at a coin shop sent ya, derryb.