Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver spot vs premium tracking thread

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 5:03PM

Gutter may be on sale in Bulgaria but it certainly ain't on sale here. Prepare for the teens but keep telling us about how your buy premiums keep increasing. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    premiums are high because buyers are willing to pay them. They know that silver is actually on sale. B)

Then why is there little premium on 100oz bars? A $2500 investment isnt very much. For something that is "on sale", where are the willing buyers?

People may want to buy ASEs but it doesnt appear they want to buy silver, which is sad, because on a relative basis it seems cheap at this level.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2021 8:02AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    premiums are high because buyers are willing to pay them. They know that silver is actually on sale. B)

Then why is there little premium on 100oz bars? A $2500 investment isnt very much. For something that is "on sale", where are the willing buyers?

Where are the buyers? Isn't it kinda obvious, premiums tell us they're buying ASEs. LOL

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 9:34AM

@cohodk said:

All you've shown here is mine is bigger than yours.

And this is the inferiority complex that drives all of your posts. Get over it, we don't care.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2021 1:28PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

All you've shown here is mine is bigger than yours.

And this is the inferiority complex that drives all of your posts. Get over it, we don't care.

And you dont even know what i was referring to. See you how we alwaya flock to our comfort zone. Open your eyes and ears.

Numbers man, numbers. In your comment my numbers are bigger than yours. Lol

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Where are the buyers? Isn't it kinda obvious, premiums tell us they're buying ASEs. LOL

Wow , so demand for 28 million ASE determines demand for the other 800 million ounces produced every year?

Stop with this nonsense already. Yes, ASEs carry a higher premium than other forms of collector silver. But, no, premiums on ASEs do not reflect any disconnect of physical and spot prices. We can put this to bed now. Nighty night.

• Options

Gutter is in the gutter, it's not a surprise. RGDS!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

$22 silver is about right. $3 over to acquire is about right. Barring eagles....silver seems like a good buy.

I have an affinity to the "G" word.

Gutter 🥰

• Options

APMEX single ASE premium now at $47.7%

• Options
    edited December 23, 2021 5:37PM

@derryb said:
    APMEX single ASE premium now at $47.7%

Dollars AND percentages. There you go. Haha.

• Options

Last gutter I purchased was under spot. RGDS!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 11:58PM

@blitzdude said:

SLV is less than spot.
    You get what you pay for.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

SLV is less than spot.
    You get what you pay for.

The opportunity for greater percentage gains, the ability to hedge and create and income stream?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2021 9:26AM

The opportunity for greater percentage gains, the ability to hedge and create and income stream?

If that's the best marketing campaign argument for selling financial leverage you can come up with...............you haven't read much financial history.

Leverage is also the opportunity for greater percentage losses, the ability to hedge and create a greater loss stream. What is your shoeshine boy saying now?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

If that's the best marketing campaign argument for selling financial leverage you can come up with...............you haven't read much financial history. What is your shoeshine boy saying now?

Dont be jealous.

Merry Christmas.

• Options

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 12:40PM

current premium for a single silver eagle from APMEX (plus shipping):

Why have the high premiums for silver not receded? What does this tell us?

• Options

@derryb said:

That dealers are charging a lot over spot for a particular fabricated collectible.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 1:00PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

That dealers are charging a lot over spot for a particular fabricated collectible.

Tells me that buyers are paying a lot over spot for a particular fabricated piece of bullion. And we were told that high prices cure high prices. Does this mean that if prices don't get cured that they are not high? LOL

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 1:20PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Tells me that buyers are paying a lot over spot for a particular fabricated piece of bullion. And we were told that high prices cure high prices. Does this mean that if prices don't get cured that they are not high? LOL

How many buyers?

Who said silver is high? Its the same price as 40 years ago.

In the bitcoin thread you state that whats inportant is the number of coins you have. That doesn't apply to ounces of silver? Seems the more intelligent play would be to buy 700 buffalo rounds rather than 500 ASE.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 1:33PM

@cohodk said:

Who said silver is high? Its the same price as 40 years ago.

In the bitcoin thread you state that whats inportant is the number of coins you have. That doesn't apply to ounces of silver? Seems the more intelligent play would be to buy 700 buffalo rounds rather than 500 ASE.

thread is about the spread, not the price. I said the premium is high and it is multiple times higher than it was 40 years ago.

Not all 1 oz. chunks of silver are the same when it comes to what buyers will pay.

And yes number of ounces is important, but like cryptos, the quality of those ounces is equally important. One would much rather have 20 Bitcoin coins than 20 Doge coins.

Why does one pay more for the silver eagle than the buffalo round? Probably the same reason he sells it for more.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Only about half as many minted in 2021 as there was in 2015. Tells me buyers are buying other things than over priced silver eagles, especially from apmex. Last I checked gutter was priced at $22 and change. Already down for the year, just like last year. lol

• Options

@derryb said:
    Why does one pay more for the silver eagle than the buffalo round?

Because hes a dummy.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Only about half as many minted in 2021 as there was in 2015. Tells me buyers are buying other things than over priced silver eagles, especially from apmex. Last I checked gutter was priced at $22 and change. Already down for the year, just like last year. lol

yet premiums over spot are at all time highs. LOL

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Only about half as many minted in 2021 as there was in 2015.

So supply down - premiums up. Apparently that market isn't immune to supply and demand after all.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big bars are still only 70c above spot.

(So, to give a concrete example, if I wanted to trade roughly 75 shares of Microsoft into "physical" silver, I'd pay a bit over $23 per ounce; you don't need to be a big player to pay near spot)

Higashiyama
  • Options

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Only about half as many minted in 2021 as there was in 2015.

So supply down - premiums up. Apparently that market isn't immune to supply and demand after all.

Premiums up at apmex at the start of the year just like they are every year. Derby has to overpay 48% to get his new shinny 2022 model before everyone else. Heh, he will probably drop another $20 to get it slabbed in an ms69 holder. lol

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s upstate’s rates?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:

(So, to give a concrete example, if I wanted to trade roughly 75 shares of Microsoft into "physical" silver, I'd pay a bit over $23 per ounce; you don't need to be a big player to pay near spot)

Yet one could sell 100 silver eagles on ebay for $6 over spot before you could sell a 100 oz bar on ebay for .70 over. Tell me again, why is that? lol

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 5:09PM

As I posted in my lcs visit thread yesterday, in person prices were $26-7 oz local here for generic bars.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Then why are you offering just $2.50 over ask in the BST for something that has such a high premium?

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 5:16PM

@DrBuster said:
    As I posted in my lcs visit thread yesterday, in person prices were $26-7 oz local here for generic bars.

And that's a good report on current premiums at your LCS. Coho should start a thread where we track ASE premiums at your local LCS. He started this one using APMEX. I have continued to use APMEX throughout this thread to keep a constant source for the data. The purpose of tracking premiums, at least in this thread, has been to see their change over time. And, contrary to gutterboy, they have grown and remain high even in the face of falling spot prices.

I'll ask again what does that tell us?

• Options

@RobM said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Then why are you offering just $2.50 over ask in the BST for something that has such a high premium?

"Buy Low, Sell High" mean anything to you? I never said I was paying these high premiums. I said others are or APMEX would lower their price. They haven't lowered their premium for an ASE since this thread was started eight months ago.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    What’s upstate’s rates?:

I believe it says they don't even want to buy 2022 presale eagles. RGDS!!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 6:13PM

@derryb said:

@Higashiyama said:

Yet one could sell 100 silver eagles on ebay for $6 over spot before you could sell a 100 oz bar on ebay for .70 over. Tell me again, why is that? lol

No counterparty risk there. Lol

And why would anyone ever sell?

The volume of ASEs sold vs other collectible silver is tiny. The additional premium charged on these over other forms of silver has no bearing on the silver market.

• Options

@derryb said:

@RobM said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

They haven't lowered their premium for an ASE since this thread was started eight months ago.

Actually the premium charged dropped from a high of $13 to $9.

We get you trying so hard to sell your contention, but no one is buying it.

It is encouraging to see premiums increasing on 90% and larger bars, but even those premiums are within historical norms.

Maybe 2022 will be better for PMs than 2021.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 7:24PM

@cohodk said:

The volume of ASEs sold vs other collectible silver is tiny. The additional premium charged on these over other forms of silver has no bearing on the silver market.

Hey, you're the one who started a thread tracking ASE premiums. If the results don't fit your narrative then start one on other forms of silver. Or consider a new narrative. lol

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Hey, you're the one who started a thread tracking ASE premiums. If the results don't fit your narrative then start one on other forms of silver. Or consider a new narrative. lol

I only started this thread because you had a whiny Karen (or Antonio Brown) moment. This is all your narrative, which the facts thus far have not supported.

This is your narrative.

• Options

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 7:11PM

ASE are spot +$9 which is down from spot +$14 on May 18. Thats about 39% for those who think this is a more appropriate way to measure premium, which is down from 50% on May 18. 100 oz bars are still spot + $2.90----down from spot +$4 last May.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 7:20PM

On May 18...

@cohodk said:

Today.... Monster box are now $16k down from 21k---down about 24%, while spot has dropped about $5 or 18%. ASE have dropped more than spot reflecting a decrease in premium.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

MB spot drop - 500 x $5 = $2,500
    MB retail drop - about $5,000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Silver under pressure for several days. Qty=100, $32.78/$22.79 (Apmex spot) = 43.8% premium

sheesh.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2022 4:35PM
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

buying silver eagles for large premiums and buying 100 oz bars for small premiums are both dumb.

For different reasons but still dumb. Both items have barriers to exiting your position cleanly and coming out ahead.

To recapture your premium is very hard on ASE's selling on ebay now that fees are what they are and ebay bucks dont exist anymore and buyers are paying sales tax is a dead end.

That being said I don't want 100 oz bars at all because you have to sell 100 oz at once which I don't like because that limits your buyers too much. Not to mention its harder to avoid paying tax on $2500 sales than it used to be

• Options

bronco, what's the best way to buy & own silver now - or do you think it's even a good idea in this market? I have my own opinion, but yours would be interesting to note.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    buying silver eagles for large premiums and buying 100 oz bars for small premiums are both dumb.

For different reasons but still dumb. Both items have barriers to exiting your position cleanly and coming out ahead.

To recapture your premium is very hard on ASE's selling on ebay now that fees are what they are and ebay bucks dont exist anymore and buyers are paying sales tax is a dead end.

That being said I don't want 100 oz bars at all because you have to sell 100 oz at once which I don't like because that limits your buyers too much. Not to mention its harder to avoid paying tax on $2500 sales than it used to be

Pretty much buying any silver is dead $$$$ for decades unless you're a dealer flipping it to the sheep. I do buy paper SLV from time to time just to play the predicted swings.

I'm also shocked to hear people are still having to pay taxes on PMs. No taxes here in The Commonwealth and most of the nation for that matter. God bless The Commonwealth.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    bronco, what's the best way to buy & own silver now - or do you think it's even a good idea in this market? I have my own opinion, but yours would be interesting to note.

I only want 90% generally . I am holding pre 1921 morgans with a death grip I think I've been right about that for at least the last decade. I do buy various world silver to flip if I can get it favorably.

I would rather own Aussie 1 oz than most other world mints. Over the years I have never gone wrong buying koalas or kooks . I would have said the same for pandas but not anymore .

Todays 100 oz bar is the 1000 oz bar of 1983

• Options

I'm also shocked to hear people are still having to pay taxes on PMs. No taxes here in The Commonwealth and most of the nation for that matter.

If you aren't paying federal capital gains taxes on any profits in pms that aren't offset by losses, then you are making a mistake. Of course, if you sold your silver at a loss, no worries about taxes.

I would rather own Aussie 1 oz than most other world mints. Over the years I have never gone wrong buying koalas or kooks . I would have said the same for pandas but not anymore .

I really like the kooks in general, but I've only owned one - I think it was a 10 ozer which I later sold because it wasn't part of any collecting sequence in my repertoire.

Pre-1921 Morgans are okay but I'd have to make sure they were at least F or VF, otherwise they get a little ratty-looking.

90% is always good for me. After all, it's always been real money.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Look at what dealers are buying and selling pre 1921 morgans for, even culls. When I was buying them for 10-15 bucks each in 2010 or so I now wish I had doubled or tripled my pace . I never even missed the cash at the time.

remember the guy with the rubbermaid barrels of wheat pennies? Imagine they were morgans :D