Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I will not be going after the Morgans and I love Morgans. They look terrible.

I may go for peace. Probably not.

HHL 25 and Oct Delivery kills the flip on most of these and I have zero interest in owning mass produced garbage bullion rounds, which is what these are.

Most of the original morgans and peace dollars were mass produced bullion in order to funnel money to silver mining industries. They certainly weren’t needed for commerce.

I was aware and that's a fair accusation, but at the end of the day, these new ones look like doggy doo.

No argument there. They went with their typical chrome finish and it looks wrong, just as the 2009 UHR looks wrong. I don’t know what their issue is with sticking to this kind of look. I guess it works for them. But a DCAM proof 2021 peace might look nice.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

HHL 25 and Oct Delivery kills the flip on most of these and I have zero interest in owning mass produced garbage bullion rounds, which is what these are.

Most of the original morgans and peace dollars were mass produced bullion in order to funnel money to silver mining industries. They certainly weren’t needed for commerce.

I was aware and that's a fair accusation, but at the end of the day, these new ones look like doggy doo.

No argument there. They went with their typical chrome finish and it looks wrong, just as the 2009 UHR looks wrong. I don’t know what their issue is with sticking to this kind of look. I guess it works for them. But a DCAM proof 2021 peace might look nice.

Keep in mind that is an artist rendition

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah-I'd love to see a nice cameo proof Peace dollar. I hope it happens.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2021 4:25PM

Might get one because they are cool but if I had to chose between a 2021 peace / Morgan or an original Morgan and 1921 peace, I would chose the original. The mint dose not make coins the same way as they did 100 years ago.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I’m trying to. I wish they would have actual products to look at than renders.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bear this in mind y’all, when have Mint pictures represented the true beauty of any coin in hand?
    Expedited shipped, received weeks later than anticipated and promised!?
    Well, OK, there are the spouses, though!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@TurtleCat said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I’m trying to. I wish they would have actual products to look at than renders.

I know why they do it before the coins are minted. I've never been able to figure out why they don't replace those with actual photos after the coins have been minted. Maybe they don't have a photographer?

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Why there is no mint mark for P?
    (I am new to Morgen)

• Options

@Samuel8 said:
    Why there is no mint mark for P?
    (I am new to Morgen)

For 200 years, Philadelphia had no "P". It's only recent (1980s) that P meant Philadelphia.

• Options

I know why they do it before the coins are minted. I've never been able to figure out why they don't replace those with actual photos after the coins have been minted. Maybe they don't have a photographer?

https://youtu.be/4XkPUwwYpA0

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    Might get one because they are cool but if I had to chose between a 2021 peace / Morgan or an original Morgan and 1921 peace, I would chose the original. The mint dose not make coins the same way as they did 100 years ago.

But you can't get THOSE in MS 70.

Maybe the (new) coins won't be as jarring as the drawings.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The higher HHL could help with website traffic that has caused grief for so many. (one user, vs one user and his 24 buyers)

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Kccoin said:
    The higher HHL could help with website traffic that has caused grief for so many. (one user, vs one user and his 24 buyers)

This may help a bit but, as I see it, there will still be that one buyer plus his 24 stooges - each buying 25 coins.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 5:45AM

Cannot wait for the seagulls to start bragging...like birdsh_t on your newly washed car🤣

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

FOMO - You will all be clicking away on all 3 occasions starting in May!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Presales will be fun to watch on these.... :#

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the mintages shown above from the mint, I actually think that I have a shot at getting one of each.
    Time will tell.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Let's say you want to buy both products offered on one of the given days.
    Would you try to:
    a) add both products to your cart (if possible), then check out,
    or
    b) add one of the two products to your cart (if possible), check out on that one, then go back and repeat the process for the other product?

2) Anyone going to not try to purchase the individual products, in the hope that the mint later releases set(s) in the future (currently unannounced)?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the finish on these Morgan and Peace dollars:

I have just exchanged emails with customer services at the mint. I was very impressed with their responsiveness, though I am not sure I understand the answer.

According to customer service, these coins will have a "burnished" uncirculated finish. Is this the same finish as for modern commemoratives, or is it something different?

Higashiyama
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    Would you try to:
    or
    b) add one of the two products to your cart (if possible), check out on that one, then go back and repeat the process for the other product?

2) Anyone going to not try to purchase the individual products, in the hope that the mint later releases set(s) in the future (currently unannounced)?

I doubt I will have a chance to compete with the mega buyers and their bots, so I will most likely wait until these hit the vendors and then buy a complete set (if the prices are not outrageous). I have realized that this is the way I will have to go if I want to buy any U.S. Mint products. So, I will end up feeding the beast that is making it impossible for me to buy a single coin from the Mint.

• Options

@Danno44 said:
    And so it begins......

Seller has 9 feedback and with delivery date I’m guessing not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

EBay puts the delivery estimate on there

• Options

@SPalladino said:
    Would you try to:
    or

I would not bet on any additions to the Mint schedule. They've been cutting back not adding due to covid back logs.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    Regarding the finish on these Morgan and Peace dollars:

I have just exchanged emails with customer services at the mint. I was very impressed with their responsiveness, though I am not sure I understand the answer.

According to customer service, these coins will have a "burnished" uncirculated finish. Is this the same finish as for modern commemoratives, or is it something different?

If they are going to be burnished, it should be more of a matte appearance. I am guessing these will end up more “satin” in luster. I’m not sure how I feel about that with the morgan types but might look quite nice for the peace type.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Would you try to:
    or

Discussed this very thing with my brother yesterday. I might go for one for the two of us and he goes for the other for the two of us. This way we each can get one from the different mints.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

Rather than fight with the Mint and their website that can't handle the traffic, I've already decided to order these through one of the vendors. I do not need or want the coins graded and slabbed. Raw in OGP is just fine for me. If I can get them for $40 or less over the Mint's selling price, it's worth it to me to not have to fight and get frustrated on the day of release.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another thought....an average individual collector, should he/she manage to procure one from the Mint, could expect the item to be shipped sometime in October. And then, upon receipt of the item, if they want the item graded and slabbed, they, in turn, ship it off. Said collector is looking a distinct likelihood of not having the graded/slabbed coin back in possession until sometime early in 2022.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2021 6:48PM

I'm seeing yet another Mint online kludge beyond all others. Sorry, don't mean to be a pessimist.

Halfpence, add "Official" to your thread title before there are too many other posters of like mind. B)

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

Done

• Options

Don’t forget and forgo the CAPITAL letters and Goldbully Asterisks!

• Options

Ok, done.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

having these released on the same day is going to be a PR nightmare for the US Mint. I sure hope they have someone with some common sense to take a look at those release dates. Or better yet, have a 5 coin set :D

• Options

I suspect they will have a 5 coin morgan set later this year and maybe a 6 coin set as well. They haven’t announced the proof version of these yet. Since we only see the product limit, we have no idea what the mintage limit will ultimately end up as.

If the finish is indeed burnished then I feel like the peace dollar will look the best of all of these.

• Options

I suspect the Mint will have a ton of cancellations if they announce a set after they offer preorders for singles.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 11:03AM

My initial thought was to order 2 of each MM and send one set of 6 coins off to be slabbed while enjoying the other 6 in the original packaging. But if there's even a chance at a 6 coin set (and its safe to say there will be, sans mintage numbers), I might do only one of each individual product and then purchase one or 2 of the sets (depending on if there will be a proof version or not). This could get expensive... :s

I like the 2021 rendition of the Morgan obverse more than the reverse and I like the Peace overall. For some reason it seems hard to mint that Morgan reverse in a way that looks attractive; they botched it up back in 1878 (7 vs. 8 vs. 7/8 tail feathers), again in 1921 & the atrocity of 2006.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭

No ultra high relief enhanced reverse proof? I'm out.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

The rendition of the reverse looks bad on the breast feathers
    This looks like the old 2006 reverse dusted off

• Options

@BearlyHere said:
    No ultra high relief enhanced reverse proof? I'm out.

It’s just not announced yet.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all in, I want two of each.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2021 2:47PM

@Higashiyama said:

burnished occurs to the blank by "cleaning" it before the coin is struck. I believe all coins, with the exception of all mass produced circulation coins and the mass produced "bullion" American Eagles, now receive the process; note that the mint no longer specifically describes its collector business strike eagles (with the W m/m) as burnished. The burnishing of these "specialty" issues could explain the the absence of dreaded milk spots that appear on non burnished coins. Looked at a lot of rolls of new circulation quarters this year and was surprised at the level of spotting on new circulation coins.

Note minute mark 1:00 on the mint video for burnish explanation:

https://youtu.be/LZMAY-53a-A

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

If I can have only 1, I would take the matte finish 2021 Peace silver dollar encased in a special 100th anniversary PCGS holder. :smile:

• Options

@Swampboy said:

I don't mind privy marks on foreign bullion but not on a Morgan or Peace

Seeing that they are restrikes at a different facility (Philly) the term mint mark would be inaccurate. Mint is correct in refering to them as "Privy" marks. I would have preferred "Tribute" marks.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'm saying we need to write the mint director again.

Request a 5 HHL for the first week, then a 25 HHL after or until they determine a HHL is no longer necessary.
    (or perhaps a 5 HHL then none????)

Mint Director Ryder
    US Mint Headquarters
    801 9th Street, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20220

175,000 / 25 means a minimum 7,000 orders if everyone is all in. this could be another fight against flippers.

4 agrees and me...

who is going to do this beyond hopefully 5?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2021 3:17PM

@WAYNEAS said:
    I will TRY for one of each but we know how that goes.lol
    Wayne

Appears the two coin three different sale date idea is an effort to reduce website traffic.

Suggestion emailed to the mint:

Also offer both coins in a single package for those wishing a multiple coin buy. This will reduce the website log jam created by customers trying to make multiple item purchases during the height of website traffic. Narrowing it down to one purchase will expedite site traffic. Since the coins will not be released until October, you might consider further website traffic reduction by offering different selections of the coins in single item packages on all three buying days.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

it would be a coding change, but a single button to add both to the cart would be great.

please people, write to the mint director and get that HHL down to 5 per initially

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    4 agrees and me...

who is going to do this beyond hopefully 5?

Mailed my letter today.

Hopefully, the letters 'work' to reduce the HHL for these releases. :)

Thanks for providing the address.

• Options

Bringing the official version back to the top

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

please people, write to the mint director and get that HHL down to 5 per initially

Will that really work? I know a HHL of 25 is awfully high for such a high demand but wouldn't the HHL even down to 1 cause a sellout in minutes with these? I'll shoot off an email to Ryder but I see another frustrating crash ahead. I hope more of us send messages to the mint...even if it will be upon deaf ears.

This discussion has been closed.