Home U.S. Coin Forum

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm incredibly excited for these - as hhl are astronomical [relative to what I'd thought they'd be], going to go for a couple of each 🤞

I like the CC & O privies, too - look better than I'd thought they'd look; thought they'd do sharper-edge more modern looking privies in some wild place in the fields - glad they're not doing that

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Peace dollar should be a winner since it’ll only have 1 version and I like the CC privy. Not quite as good as a CC mint mark but I’ll take it.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

The O privy marks looks like a belly button...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they should have put the initial 25 limit lower. Definitely not only to one, but something like 5 or10, which in some ways is becoming a typical household size to economically and mentally deal with the current situation in some places.

That way more actual families, can enjoy these to keep or sell. In 20 years these modern varieties could be loved, or irrelevant, who knows.

Final verdict. Makes me want to just get the real thing all the more. Thinking gem+ peace high relief is in my sights.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this:

Product shipments will begin in October.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 3:36PM

https://catalog.usmint.gov/morgan-2021-silver-dollar-with-cc-privy-mark-21XC.html?cgid=https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

• 100th anniversary of the last year of the ‘‘Morgan Dollar’’
    • Designed by George T. Morgan
    • 0.858 troy oz. of .999 fine silver with an uncirculated finish
    • Pre-ordering window starts May 24 at noon and closes on June 7 at 3pm ET or until inventory depleted
    • Product shipments will begin in October
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Since they only have a set product limit and not mintage limit, I expect we will see a 5 set Morgan and 6 set Morgan and Peace set later in the year. Maybe a mega ultra limited edition silver set with all of these plus the regular limited silver set. Expensive but kinda cool even if the finishes will be a bit weird.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@Halfpence said:
    I hadn’t seen the below article on this topic until today. The thing I find interesting is that the Morgan and Peace dollar program has no legislated end date (although the Mint apparently doesn’t have plans for production past 2021).

https://news.coinupdate.com/initial-collector-reactions-to-new-2021-morgan-and-peace-dollar-legislation/

Great article. Nice to read through. I just hope the mint doesn’t mess this up with weird finishes and such. A special set with a medal of Morgan’s other patterns would be interesting, too. I just hope we don’t get a chrome reflective surface on all of these like the 2009 UHR. Shouldn’t be too hard to make it a nice frosty dcam uncirc or just a regular frosty uncirc.

I'd be up for a Gold Proof Morgan....

does that mean cards won't charge until october?

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    does that mean cards won't charge until october?

most likely, CC comapnies generally drop pending charges after something like they've been pending for 30 days or 60.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@goldbuffalo said:

@TurtleCat said:

@Halfpence said:
    I hadn’t seen the below article on this topic until today. The thing I find interesting is that the Morgan and Peace dollar program has no legislated end date (although the Mint apparently doesn’t have plans for production past 2021).

https://news.coinupdate.com/initial-collector-reactions-to-new-2021-morgan-and-peace-dollar-legislation/

Great article. Nice to read through. I just hope the mint doesn’t mess this up with weird finishes and such. A special set with a medal of Morgan’s other patterns would be interesting, too. I just hope we don’t get a chrome reflective surface on all of these like the 2009 UHR. Shouldn’t be too hard to make it a nice frosty dcam uncirc or just a regular frosty uncirc.

matte proof gold peace?

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

matte proof gold peace?

Count me in for gold.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that these will be released in pairs and not all 6 at once. Would have been nice to have the mint make them out of 90% silver using the original specifications rather than .999.

With the mintage limit listed as - does that mean a possibility for other products and/or sets in the future?

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:

With the mintage limit listed as - does that mean a possibility for other products and/or sets in the future?

asked earlier.

unsure.

wishing the numispress find out soon

@Kliao said:
    It's interesting that these will be released in pairs and not all 6 at once.

I'm stressing only having 2 each day to try for 🥵 happy they didn't do all morgans on same day

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Peace and one Morgan will do me just fine.

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kliao said:

I'm stressing only having 2 each day to try for 🥵 happy they didn't do all morgans on same day

are you going HHL for any and all single coin issues ?

I'm doing 1 of each single.

The absence of mintage numbers is really throwing me off. I'll buy at least one of each, but if a packaged set is offered later, I would want that more.

@Halfpence said:
    The absence of mintage numbers is really throwing me off. I'll buy at least one of each, but if a packaged set is offered later, I would want that more.

a full set of 1 each would be preferred for me.

likewise for proof versions.

• UncleAbeUncleAbe Posts: 35 ✭✭

If they offer more for sale after the June ordering cutoff but before the October shipping some people may just cancel their original June order

@UncleAbe said:
    If they offer more for sale after the June ordering cutoff but before the October shipping some people may just cancel their original June order

in the vein of offering sets... yes, I agree.

so even more reason for the numismedia to find out what products will be offered and what the total mintages will be.

@MsMorrisine said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kliao said:

are you going HHL for any and all single coin issues ?

I'm doing 1 of each single.

oh lord no - I don't have @jmlanzaf $ 😄 - I'm just going for 2 of each single issue - will need luck w just that

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 7:10PM

$85 for peace. Here is the mintage for each:

tem Number: 21XH
    Mintage Limit: -
    Product Limit: 200,000
    Household Order Limit: 25

$85 for Morgan. Mintage:

Item Number: 21XE
    Mintage Limit: -
    Product Limit: 175,000
    Household Order Limit: 25

^^^ *not mintage, product limit

product limit is the upper limit, so it will be <= 175000

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    ouch. looks like egg

Or the CBS logo

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 8:25PM

@dbldie55 said:
    Just saw this:

Product shipments will begin in October.

Nevermind

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@jt88 said:

It's definitely confusing, but I think it's the opposite. Consider the recent 1/2 oz gold proof eagle. Product Limit was 1,698 for the single coins. Mintage Limit was 9,800, which included both single coin products and coins within the set of four.

@Halfpence said:

@jt88 said:

It's definitely confusing, but I think it's the opposite. Consider the recent 1/2 oz gold proof eagle. Product Limit was 1,698 for the single coins. Mintage Limit was 9,800, which included both single coin products and coins within the set of four.

I think you are correct. The mintage could includes coins that sell to dealer with discount. So the mintage could be much higher than the product limit.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@Halfpence said:

@jt88 said:

I think you are correct. The mintage could includes coins that sell to dealer with discount. So the mintage could be much higher than the product limit.

The mintage limit does NOT include the dealer sales as a separate number. The product limit includes ALL sales of that product. The only "dealer sales" that would be a separate number is if they sold these in capsules with no boxes to dealers as they have sometimes done with proof silver eagles.

The mintage limit would include the same coin in different packaging. So, for example, if they put it in the limited edition silver proof set, those don't count against the "product limit" because it is a different product.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be going after the Morgans and I love Morgans. They look terrible.

I may go for peace. Probably not.

HHL 25 and Oct Delivery kills the flip on most of these and I have zero interest in owning mass produced garbage bullion rounds, which is what these are.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KISHU1 said:
    You are right about the mintage and also we don’t know what the price will be

Just having a little fun

Frank D

I see $85 on the Mint's website which I assume may be for all coins. If the appearance is anything like the reverse of the 2006 Old Mint coins it will be as blah as the day is long.

theknowitalltroll;
  • JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

Another big money maker for the Mint. If mintages are low, I won't even try. It'll be a waste of my time. I'll buy them on the secondary market or just skip it altogether. I have finally come to realize that the Mint is a catering entity for dealers and flippers. The average collector who wants one coin needs luck and patience, and I have little of each.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

No frosted proofs?

----- kj

@tincup said:
    No frosted proofs?

I am waiting for them to issue the whole set in reverse poof, enhanced reverse proof, and enhanced uncirculated.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

25 for HH limit seems way to high to me.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Prices and mintages now on Mint site.

@TheRaven said:

Agreed, but this is to make it easier for the dealers and flippers. They are the Mint's customers and who they cater to.

These will all sell out in minutes.

@JeffM said:

@TheRaven said:

Agreed, but this is to make it easier for the dealers and flippers. They are the Mint's customers and who they cater to.

who can re-sell 25 per ?

only dealers. flippers stand no chance on ebay with a 175,000 mintage per.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverman68 said:

Product limit (for each of these sales) has been posted. Total mintage for each coin remains unannounced. This would include any other products listed in the future that included these coins such as a set. The decision to package them in mint offered sets is likely to be based on sales of the individual coins.

As with all precious metal coins these $85 prices may be subject to weekly repricing based on changes in spot. Remains to be seen, they are some hefty premium at $85.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

HHL 25 and Oct Delivery kills the flip on most of these and I have zero interest in owning mass produced garbage bullion rounds, which is what these are.

Most of the original morgans and peace dollars were mass produced bullion in order to funnel money to silver mining industries. They certainly weren’t needed for commerce.

I was aware and that's a fair accusation, but at the end of the day, these new ones look like doggy doo.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@silverman68 said:

As with all precious metal coins these $85 prices may be subject to weekly repricing based on changes in spot. Remains to be seen, they are some hefty premium at $85.

Silver is Not subject to weekly repricing, only Gold, Platinum and Palladium...

@DelawareDoons said:

@TurtleCat said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Most of the original morgans and peace dollars were mass produced bullion in order to funnel money to silver mining industries. They certainly weren’t needed for commerce.

I was aware and that's a fair accusation, but at the end of the day, these new ones look like doggy doo.

No argument there. They went with their typical chrome finish and it looks wrong, just as the 2009 UHR looks wrong. I don’t know what their issue is with sticking to this kind of look. I guess it works for them. But a DCAM proof 2021 peace might look nice.

This discussion has been closed.