Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dirt94 said:
    I’m thinking since these are all preorders that they won’t know if there are bad credit cards until they start charging them when these actually get shipped.

Never thought of that. Great point.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    I would rarely disagree with you but this I do. "We all had a chance." No, we did not. I don't know when the Mint Site started crashing and burning but it was very early in the sale. 25 minutes or less and the product is 'Unavailable". If I ran my business like this I'd be bankrupt in a day. So how did the US Mint make it's money off this if the common collector could NOT buy one?

I did not like the website performance either. That said ...

Respectfully, the item went "unavailable". This likely means that the Mint sold their targeted number of units for the release date. They make money when they sell a unit, whether it is to a collector or a flipper. So, they made their money.

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Guess I woke up before noon for nothing. :D

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is the “no am extras” case because of the pre-order, then your coin confirmations just became more valuable.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

With no Mintage Limit specified, could they (will they?) offer these as part of a different product? Example, a multi-coin set featuring some/all of these "special" Silver Dollars?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@SeatedToners said:
    they need to make the limit 1 per household to spread these out over more collectors. and releasing two on the same day is a bad idea.

I agree, but the Mint wanted to unload these quickly apparently, hence the 10 per household. Should have started out as 5 or 2 then bump it up as the day went on.

Everyone who says 1 per HH is the right number is being, as usual, completely selfish. What if you wanted one for each of your 4 grandchildren?

No matter what the Mint does, people are going to complain. Everyone wants it to their personal satisfaction.

• Options

@Dirt94 said:
    I’m thinking since these are all preorders that they won’t know if there are bad credit cards until they start charging them when these actually get shipped.

That's why they put out the initial hold.

• Options

@AlexinPA said:

@jwitten said:

@AlexinPA said:
    I'm sorry for those who experienced the failure but I don't deal with the US Mint; I don't like the US Mint and I agree with the one who posted "all collectors should have a chance at getting one". Obviously that's not the way it is and a Government Agency that has a website like that one. For shame.

There is a difference in “all collectors should have a chance at getting one” and “all collectors get one”. We all had a chance.

I would rarely disagree with you but this I do. "We all had a chance." No, we did not. I don't know when the Mint Site started crashing and burning but it was very early in the sale. 25 minutes or less and the product is 'Unavailable". If I ran my business like this I'd be bankrupt in a day. So how did the US Mint make it's money off this if the common collector could NOT buy one?

Almost all of us who got them endured multiple crashes. I'm not defending the crashing, but his point is we were all playing the same game and all had an equal chance. Some won. Some lost.

The only real solution is to Mint so many that they become worthless in the secondary market. Of course, they will then sell less of them because no one will want to pay $85 for a bullion coin. So even that isn't a solution.

They could also just raise the issue price to $250. That would cut down on flipping. But then you'll just complain about the price.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

@SeatedToners said:
    they need to make the limit 1 per household to spread these out over more collectors. and releasing two on the same day is a bad idea.

I agree, but the Mint wanted to unload these quickly apparently, hence the 10 per household. Should have started out as 5 or 2 then bump it up as the day went on.

Everyone who says 1 per HH is the right number is being, as usual, completely selfish. What if you wanted one for each of your 4 grandchildren?

No matter what the Mint does, people are going to complain. Everyone wants it to their personal satisfaction.

And that's how it should be. As a collector, I simply want to buy one coin. I don't give a damn about the flippers and their cache of 200 - 300 coins. I don't care about the flippers and they do not care about me. So, yes, everyone should want what they want for their own personal satisfaction.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

@SeatedToners said:

And that's how it should be. As a collector, I simply want to buy one coin. I don't give a damn about the flippers and their cache of 200 - 300 coins. I don't care about the flippers and they do not care about me. So, yes, everyone should want what they want for their own personal satisfaction.

Oh, I have no problem with people being selfish. But don't present your selfishness as some kind of "fairness" solution to a problem that may not exist.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hot take; It should all be mint to demand with a minimum quantity ordered to start production.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlexinPA said:

@jwitten said:

@AlexinPA said:
    I'm sorry for those who experienced the failure but I don't deal with the US Mint; I don't like the US Mint and I agree with the one who posted "all collectors should have a chance at getting one". Obviously that's not the way it is and a Government Agency that has a website like that one. For shame.

There is a difference in “all collectors should have a chance at getting one” and “all collectors get one”. We all had a chance.

Almost all of us who got them endured multiple crashes. I'm not defending the crashing, but his point is we were all playing the same game and all had an equal chance. Some won. Some lost.

The only real solution is to Mint so many that they become worthless in the secondary market. Of course, they will then sell less of them because no one will want to pay $85 for a bullion coin. So even that isn't a solution.

They could also just raise the issue price to $250. That would cut down on flipping. But then you'll just complain about the price.

For sure, I would be in favor of a much higher price and a HHL of one.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlexinPA said:

@jwitten said:

@AlexinPA said:

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlexinPA said:

@jwitten said:

@AlexinPA said:

Hello, Canada!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

@SeatedToners said:

Oh, I have no problem with people being selfish. But don't present your selfishness as some kind of "fairness" solution to a problem that may not exist.

You are correct! It's only your selfishness that counts.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

@SeatedToners said:

You are correct! It's only your selfishness that counts.

Exactly. Or, if we want to be kinder, "enlightened self-interest."

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

There will never be a fair distribution method
    If the USM would just correct their website issues that would be welcomed.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's officially unavailable. That's what I like. ( until I look on eBay )

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Hot take; It should all be mint to demand with a minimum quantity ordered to start production.

No. That would make it all incredibly boring. You all just need to take up the mentality if I get it I get it. If not I don’t.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

No. That would make it all incredibly boring. You all just need to take up the mentality if I get it I get it. If not I don’t.

So it's boring unless there is a challenge and difficulty in buying the coin?

• Options

@JeffM said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Yeah why not? Do people here collect Lincoln pennies from the 90s, or high grade Indian head pennies? That’s what coin collecting is for most people. The rarity and fun of the hunt.
    Per your posts you were adamantly opposed to trying, yet if you did you were pretty likely to secure one at issue price. So not sure you are the best one to discuss this with.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@JeffM said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Yeah why not? Do people here collect Lincoln pennies from the 90s, or high grade Indian head pennies? That’s what coin collecting is for most people. The rarity and fun of the hunt.
    Per your posts you were adamantly opposed to trying, yet if you did you were pretty likely to secure one at issue price. So not sure you are the best one to discuss this with.

I have tried in the past to purchase popular coins from the Mint. No luck getting through for the reasons delineated herein. I just want to buy a coin. I do not need the purchase of a coin to be a challenging adventure. I'd be quite happy with "boring".

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

…cry babies bottle up your tears for the next 2 rounds…at this point I don’t know how there will be any leftover for when your iPhone6’s or windows vista w/ dialup won’t press send for a one coin order ;)

• Options

No reason to get all kinds of gateway errors, processing spinning forever, not able to update carts, all kinds of NOVICE errors that could be corrected by a good team of techies

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    …cry babies bottle up your tears for the next 2 rounds…at this point I don’t know how there will be any leftover for when your iPhone6’s or windows vista w/ dialup won’t press send for a one coin order ;)

iPhone 6 or Windows Vista?? Dang! You sure are a modern one! I use a Motorola flip phone and still use a dial-up modem on my Sinclair computer!

• Options

Might as well outsource the whole damn process to Amazon fulfillment
    Including the whole ordering process
    You probably save significant payroll and pensions; and get a better quality of service

• Options

@coiner said:
    You probably save significant payroll and pensions; and get a better quality of service

Yeah because then you won’t even see an add to cart button. They’d be gone the second you reload the page. And big sites crash too. Walmart crashed during the PS5 release last year.

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlexinPA said:

@jwitten said:

@AlexinPA said:

The much higher price is easy to achieve, just get one in the secondary market, problem solved.

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

I am seriously starting to feel bad for buying these to flip. The good news is that I accidentally used the same credit card to order 10 of each shipped to a different address so looks like 10 CC's and 10 O's will become available anytime.

• Options

The presale prices seem crazy. With so many coins I can't imagine these premiums holding once they all ship. Where do you all think they'll settle out. The buying clubs were definitely out in force yesterday.

I can't believe that I couldn't get any CCs in over 20 mins. I had the order processing spinning twice. Zero both times. Usually that results in a confirmed order in the end. It spun for a long time on my Os. I was so happy to get an order confirmation on those. I don't recall the order processing spinning that long before. But then, I was on a phone.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@coiner said:

Yeah because then you won’t even see an add to cart button. They’d be gone the second you reload the page. And big sites crash too. Walmart crashed during the PS5 release last year.

I don't think people realize the challenge of 100,000+ people all hitting the checkout button at the same second. I don't think Amazon could handle it either. No one has infinite bandwidth.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same experience, Raufus.
    The first time with the one order of the CC’s it went right through. And then it all changed.
    Stuck, stuck and more stuck. The O’s were a weird and unexpected bonus.
    Talked to someone that was traveling across the United States and was able to buy 10 of each on their phone. Lickety-split.
    Luck of the draw.
    How about the upcoming potential melee! That will be a hoot.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

To those who added both then checked out...

I think that's a gamble. I was thinking to at least get one and not chance both on the same order. For me the site was so slow and crashed so much that while I tried to add the second coin I could miss the entire window. Seems like a gamble. Clearly paid off for some.

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

They are up now

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

The USM was only able to procur 1,075,000 planchets for these so mint to demand would nothave been an option.

• Options

gone now.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

O still available

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:
    O still available

Nope.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow surprised to see them open up now. Both are gone.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cc was availbale for a split second and it wanted me to remove the o from my cart, than the opposite the O was available and it wanted me to get rid of the CC, The O was up for alot longer......

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

@Kliao said:
    Wow surprised to see them open up now. Both are gone.

It's like they want the bots to get them.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    With no Mintage Limit specified, could they (will they?) offer these as part of a different product? Example, a multi-coin set featuring some/all of these "special" Silver Dollars?

Aything is possible with the USM although they have not stated mintage limits, just product limits,, it is highly unlikely that there will be other products this year with these. The USM has had trouble procuring silver plachets and with the priority of the ASE they likely don't have the needed planchets for other products for these.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mindy9773 said:
    They are up now

Thanks for the heads up.

I was not fast enough, but I appreciate your post. :)

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Bagged and completed one CC at 12:03. Tried to add 10 but couldn't, hardly any came up for sale undoubtedly.

• Options

Your very welcome

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@Kudbegud said:

FYI

Pobjoy Mint
    https://pobjoy.com/us/commemorating-the-centenary-of-the-transition-of-the-morgan-dollar-to-the-peace-dollar-2021-unc-cupro-nickel-1-coin-bvi?___store=us&___from_store=default
    is offering this commemorating the centenary of the transition of the Morgan dollar to the Peace dollar.

Metal Uncirculated Cupro Nickel
    Diameter 38.60mm
    Weight 31.103gms
    Issue Limit 1,921

I bought this coin. MUCH easier to buy than trying to deal with the U.S. Mint.

And it looks like they're still available. Non-silver, $20, and apparently little demand. Most UK collectors likely don't care about this piece so it's undoubtedly aimed at the US market... and many if not most US Dollar collectors don't collect UK stuff, so in this case perhaps 1,921 pieces might be about right for the demand. jmho. Am I wrong?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 9:19AM

@Mindy9773 said:
    Your very welcome

Been refreshing since noon, had a feeling since they've dropped at noon before.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

This morning paypal was available and I thought that was weird and figured better try at 11 and this time there was no pay pal available. Will see what tomorrow brings.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
This discussion has been closed.