Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who's buying the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Proof on Thursday? Mint Hi-Res images posted.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2021 1:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

$73 for a one ounce silver coin and a Product Limit: 327,440/Household Order Limit: 99

I got to admit that reverse is a very cool change.

Wonder why they don't have an official rendering yet.

Please chime in forum members.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-21EA.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 5:29PM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    The release for this Thursday is for the old reverse, the new reverse is later this year according to the mint.

Thank you.

I just now realized that. Sorry for the misinformation.

After 35 years, the reverse of this iconic coin is getting a makeover later this year—don’t miss your chance to purchase the final edition of the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (W) with its original reverse design! Serious collectors, this is your opportunity to complete your collection with the last of this original design minted at the West Point Mint.

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Still, the question is interesting. Who's in?

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    The release for this Thursday is for the old reverse, the new reverse is later this year according to the mint.

Thank you.

After 35 years, the reverse of this iconic coin is getting a makeover later this year—don’t miss your chance to purchase the final edition of the American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (W) with its original reverse design! Serious collectors, this is your opportunity to complete your collection with the last of this original design minted at the West Point Mint.

That's OK, made me look. I figure that I will probably be in for one.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:

@Goldbully said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

Thank you.

That's OK, made me look. I figure that I will probably be in for one.

Me too....hey, could be a special PCGS label...."Last year of original ASE reverse" ;)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a presale pf 70. With mint jacking the price it is cheaper now to buy a guaranteed 70 than play the multiple submission game

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

Yes, who wants the coin with the unlimited mintage for $46 over the price of silver?

You can buy a 2018-W Proof silver eagle already in a PCGS 1st strike holder for $80 and a similar 2019 for $90.

Raw price on a 2018 or 2019 in OGP is $70. 2017 and earlier are $50 to $60.

This coin goes nowhere but down.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass on the old reverse. Maybe on the new reverse.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass like all the other mint products.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@Halfpence said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Halfpence said:

Yes, who wants the coin with the unlimited mintage for $46 over the price of silver?

You can buy a 2018-W Proof silver eagle already in a PCGS 1st strike holder for $80 and a similar 2019 for $90.

Raw price on a 2018 or 2019 in OGP is $70. 2017 and earlier are $50 to $60.

This coin goes nowhere but down.

All true, yet this product will sell out.

Probably.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for a few

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new eagle design.
    Not sure about the premium.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

No like.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. I'm guessing they'll sell a bunch. It wouldn't surprise me if they'll be cheaper on the secondary market in a couple of years.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised the mint is not offering a set of old and new.

In any case, I missed out on several recent years' SE issues so my set is not complete. I might but this year'a coins and then call it a day.

they already have a couple listings for old and new sets in the 2021 schedule [21XK, 21XJ, 21RCN] - might have more as t2s get released, but def no t1/t2 sets until t2s are released mid-year

• GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

In for 1

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

That’s some exacting market research. 327,440 total, because 327,441 is too many for demand.

• SilverEagle1974SilverEagle1974 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2021 1:33AM

Remember Product limit is 327,400.
    That means for the single issue ASE.

This will most likely be included in this year's Limited Edition Silver Set.
    As well as, some sort of combo set with the old & new reverses.

My estimated total mintage for all "products" will be 1 million.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

edited February 10, 2021 6:58AM

@cccoins said:
    That’s some exacting market research. 327,440 total, because 327,441 is too many for demand.

As late as 2015 they were selling over 500,000 per year. In recent years, they were selling more like 200,000. For a "special issue", last year of issue, 327,000 is not excessive. But they are NOT minting 327,000 of them anyway.

The mintage limit is unlimited. They will mint to order all year long. The 327,000 is irrelevant. If they sell 150,000 or 1.5 million, they will simply mint to order. 327,000 is the limit on this particular box. The coins are being released in multiple formats.

@SilverEagle1974 said:
    Remember Product limit is 327,400.
    That means for the single issue ASE.

This will most likely be included in this year's Limited Edition Silver Set.
    As well as, some sort of combo set with the old & new reverses.

My estimated total mintage for all "products" will be 1 million.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Definitely 500,000 I think. A million is possible.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have to change my idea of the display with the 2020W AS, E and 2021W ASE side by side.... I have the '95W ASE, so maybe the first and last W ASE of that design.... Well.. the '95 is slabbed, so probably not, would not be artistically balanced.... Unless, I get the 2021W slabbed... and one raw. Then have all four displayed in a frame. Yeah, that's the ticket ;) Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I may have to change my idea of the display with the 2020W AS, E and 2021W ASE side by side.... I have the '95W ASE, so maybe the first and last W ASE of that design.... Well.. the '95 is slabbed, so probably not, would not be artistically balanced.... Unless, I get the 2021W slabbed... and one raw. Then have all four displayed in a frame. Yeah, that's the ticket ;) Cheers, RickO

Looks like you found a project for when you get back from the range :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yeah.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

This same coin is in the 2021 Congratulations set with unlimited mintage.

Many happy BST transactions
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I do buy one, it will be the new reverse design later in the year. That to me, seems to be be the only one that might be worth the price.

If history is any indicator, there will be a mad frenzy to get the new design, and it will sell out quickly. We shall see.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kick around the idea of a holy grail set with the 95w, the 08 rev 07, the 2019s erp and the v75 all in one big slab.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

@Mgarmy said:
    I kick around the idea of a holy grail set with the 95w, the 08 rev 07, the 2019s erp and the v75 all in one big slab.

🤯🤯🤯

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm Enrolled to get both the old design UNC and Proof from the mint. And I have purchased the bullion and PCGS Slabbed MS 70 My goal is to have the last old design and first new design as a complete set.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said: “My goal is to have the last old design and first new design as a complete set.”

That is a fun theme for collecting. I’ve always thought pairs like the 1916 Barber and Mercury dimes make an interesting set.

Higashiyama
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I would expect this to be the only sale of the Type 1 W Proof coin this year. Everything else will be Type 2. Get one for my collection.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill pass on the proofs for now. id like some uncs to put aside thou, for what its worth

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. Not a fan other than for bullion.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2021 11:50AM

@TheRaven said:
    I would expect this to be the only sale of the Type 1 W Proof coin this year. Everything else will be Type 2. Get one for my collection.

Agree. From the mint schedule is shown 2 with separate coin numbers and Mints - (W) & (S) - so this could be the indicator that there will be both old and new produced this year. What to you think?

• bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Probably get 5 here.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@TheRaven said:

Agree. From the mint schedule is shown 2 with separate coin numbers and Mints - (W) & (S) - so this could be the indicator that there will be both old and new produced this year. What to you think?

I would say 100% certain these are the Type 2 coins.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
    edited February 10, 2021 1:43PM

the limited edition silver proof set is also S,W

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

In for 1.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who wants more than 99 let me know I’ll sell you my 99 for a very reasonable markup. 🤪🤪🤪💩💩💩💩💨💨💨💨💨

if ~3300 of us spend ~$7200 on 99 of em each, they'll sell out real quick 😂

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve weaned myself successfully from current mint offerings.

LCoopie = Les
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new design much better than the old one. Doesn't mean I'm gonna buy one, tho.

• BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    Bought a presale pf 70. With mint jacking the price it is cheaper now to buy a guaranteed 70 than play the multiple submission game

This
    Already have MS70 of "emergency" S & P as well as generic bullion. The final year stuff will drive up the prices of them all.

@TheRaven said:

Depends on how narrowly you define this "sale". The mintage is unlimited and they also sell bulk proof coins to dealers. You might well end up with 700,000 coins sold even if only 327,000 are sold through this offering. It is also in the Congratulations set which has an unlimited product offering and also goes on sale today.

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    if ~3300 of us spend ~$7200 on 99 of em each, they'll sell out real quick 😂

You'll also have to find someone to buy the Congratulations set which is unlimited with NO HHL. Unfortunately my person HHL doesn't match the MInt's. ;)

@johnny9434 said:
    ill pass on the proofs for now. id like some uncs to put aside thou, for what its worth

It's probably worth a $5 to $10 premium. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file