Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's buying the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Proof on Thursday? Mint Hi-Res images posted.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    Go get yer 99, troops!

I stopped at 66. LOL.

I don't think they will have any premium by the time I even get them delivered. But I took my shot.

You may be surprised.....😎

LOL. Well, of course, I'm HOPING to be surprised. But I'm not really expecting it. I figure they should be worth $60-ish all year, so the downside wasn't huge.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Gone....poof!😂🤣

LOL. Since it took 15 minutes, it was more like poo..........................ooooooooooooooooooooo........................oooooooooooooooooo......................................oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................f!

🤣😂.... Nope...look at your time stamp on your sold out post...it took less than 13 minutes so you need to take a few of those oooooo....oooo away😂🤣😎

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Ironic. They lasted longer the second day than they did the first?

Well, not everyone knows they are supposed to be logged into the Mint at 7:30 a.m. EST

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

Great point! 🤣😂

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 7:13AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:

Well, not everyone knows they are supposed to be logged into the Mint at 7:30 a.m. EST

Senior hour for the slower, more seasoned baggers.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

My brother and I were both able to log in at noon, buy are 1 coin each and be done with the transaction with zero difficulties. I would never have expected a ten minute sell out, but I wanted to make sure I got my coin so at the start of lunch I said, not going to wait and just got it.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

@JeffM said:
    The Mint really needs to do something to preserve coin collecting for collectors. I am a senior citizen who has been collecting for many years. I have never bought a coin to flip in my life. All of my purchases of coins are for my own collection. I buy one of each coin - not 99. I do not look upon my collecting as a vocation. It's a hobby for me - as originally intended. The flippers and sellers are ruining this for the average collector like me, who just wants one coin. It has now become difficult or impossible for me to buy that one coin because I am competing with the big buyers with bots and goons working for them. The Mint should really do something for collectors like me and preserve the hobby as a hobby and not as a business. But, the Mint probably couldn't care less about collectors like me as long as they rake in the cash.

The Mint does have subscriptions.

The Mint also uses HHL for limited editions. [This one is NOT a limited edition.]

The Mint also needs to create a buzz to try and get new blood. Contrary to the way many old collectors feel, the Mint is not a business designed to cater to a small group of collectors. Keep in mind that the Mint has historically lost money on all their commemorative coin series. For decades, the Mint has been subsidizing that small (and shrinking) collector base. They are now trying to break even on coin issues which means higher prices and more gimmicks.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 8:56AM

October 2020 announcement, in part:
    "In order for the United States Mint to cover rising costs, meet its fiduciary responsibility to operate at no net cost to taxpayers, and return money to the Treasury General Fund, re-setting silver prices was necessary."

It is probably much more cost effective and quicker, to send out large orders of 99, as opposed to 327,440 single orders.

And, it should be the responsibility of US Mint managers, to review any other ways the US Mint can streamline services and cut costs.

Again, the US Mint must operate in a way that incurs no net cost to the taxpayers.

It is NOT a conspiracy against coin collectors.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

I find it interesting how some commented early in this thread that this unlimited coin will go nowhere but down, yet they buy dozens as they get caught in the fear of missing out. Mint purchases seem dictated by emotion at this point.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    "In order for the United States Mint to cover rising costs, meet its fiduciary responsibility to operate at no net cost to taxpayers, and return money to the Treasury General Fund, re-setting silver prices was necessary."

It is probably much more cost effective and quicker, to send out large orders of 99, as opposed to 327,440 single orders.

And, it should be the responsibility of US Mint managers, to review any other ways the US Mint can streamline services and cut costs.

Again, the US Mint must operate in a way that incurs no net cost to the taxpayers.

It is NOT a conspiracy against you coin collectors.

I realize that all of you are in it to flip and make your money. I get it. So then how is a collector like me who wants just one coin supposed to get that coin from the mint - unless we get lucky? Don't deal with the Mint and instead buy the coin from you flippers at your inflated prices? No way. I will give up the hobby before doing that.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 9:08AM
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 9:26AM

@JeffM said:

@CoinHoarder said:

I realize that all of you are in it to flip and make your money. I get it. So then how is a collector like me who wants just one coin supposed to get that coin from the mint - unless we get lucky? Don't deal with the Mint and instead buy the coin from you flippers at your inflated prices? No way. I will give up the hobby before doing that.

If that comment was aimed at me, I am a collector and not a flipper.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    The Mint really needs to do something to preserve coin collecting for collectors. I am a senior citizen who has been collecting for many years. I have never bought a coin to flip in my life. All of my purchases of coins are for my own collection. I buy one of each coin - not 99. I do not look upon my collecting as a vocation. It's a hobby for me - as originally intended. The flippers and sellers are ruining this for the average collector like me, who just wants one coin. It has now become difficult or impossible for me to buy that one coin because I am competing with the big buyers with bots and goons working for them. The Mint should really do something for collectors like me and preserve the hobby as a hobby and not as a business. But, the Mint probably couldn't care less about collectors like me as long as they rake in the cash.

There were a lot available this morning.

try at 7:30 am eastern tomorrow.

I casually appeared yesterday to get my usual and they were gone.

after reading this thread about people with credit card issues, I knew they would have some available.

I think this availability will continue for a few mornings to come.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 9:53AM

@JeffM said:

Agreed. Which is why this ASE is hopefully the proverbial swan song for me. After the 2017-S / 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof / 2020-W World War II privy mark ASE's and the wild roller coaster rides on an inadequate Mint website, I tossed in the towel and decided to end my ASE collecting as of the end of the Heraldic Eagle reverse type, which is the only reason I ordered one of these yesterday.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    I find it interesting how some commented early in this thread that this unlimited coin will go nowhere but down, yet they buy dozens as they get caught in the fear of missing out. Mint purchases seem dictated by emotion at this point.

I do think these go nowhere but down. And I really have no interest in it. But I did buy dozens of them which will soon be on eBay for somewhere between $89 and $99 with free shipping - that's a net of $3 to $13 per unit. No FOMO, just an opportunity to make a few hundred bucks if I can flip them before the price drops. If I'm still holding any in a month, I will consider it a failed enterprise and move on.

I'd also point out that I, and others, do this with several issues per year. I believe they are going down but if they go unavailable there is a window to flip. Just finished doing it with the V75 medals. I'm still trying to clean up the last few Mayflower issues that I'm holding. I flipped a bunch of US Mint 2020 Uncirculated sets.

I still predict these will be under issue price in a year and, assuming similar silver prices, in the $50s in 2 years or so. Almost all Proof eagles are the same price except for those couple years. At 500,000 plus, these are destined to be just another year in the series once things settle down.

• Options

That's an auction of 99 which isn't over. I don't think you can get a price read off those. Maybe a wholesale price read, but you could just contact Pinehurst or someone for a quote.

• Options

check the 2020 w non-v75 prices

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@CoinHoarder said:

@JeffM said:

@CoinHoarder said:

If that comment was aimed at me, I am a collector and not a flipper.

Color me paranoid, but I think it was aimed at me not you

• Options

@JeffM said:

@CoinHoarder said:

Jeff,
    I feel your pain. If you’d like, I’d be happy to get up tomorrow at 4:15am Pacific and purchase one for you when they become available. You would just need to send me the Mint’s advertised price plus their shipping. PM me if you want to do this.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

Absolutely! I'm in for this one.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

I'm a little surprised. I figure they are in the $100 range right now, but not in lots of 99 coins.

Apparently I should have bought 500 this morning.

• Options

Why would you say unlimited mintage? I see Type 2 coming out and no more Type 1 coins.

• Options

@TheRaven said:
    Why would you say unlimited mintage? I see Type 2 coming out and no more Type 1 coins.

• Options

for those hoping to get in on this in the future, just be aware that 7:30am is approximate and the refresh button needs to be hit past 7:45

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going for $125+ each on ebay.... :#

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 1:06PM
    By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published: Feb 12, 2021, 12 PM

Within three minutes of the opening of sales at noon Eastern Time Feb. 11 by the U.S. Mint for the 2021 Congratulations set, the numismatic product was no longer available for purchase.

Disgruntled Mint customers trying to place orders for the set were quickly greeted with the notification of the product being “currently unavailable.”

“We are currently out of this item, but more may be available later. ...” the Mint said. Apparently, an undisclosed number of additional sets were made available Feb. 12.

The Congratulations set containing a Proof 2021-W American Eagle silver dollar was offered at $75 without mintage, product or household ordering limits. First day sales total 35,715 sets.

The single Proof American Eagle was also offered separately, at $73, with a mintage limit of 327,440 coins and household order limit of 99 coins. First-day sales totaled 284,272 coins.

U.S. Mint officials did not disclose if any of the sets or individual coins were sold via the bulk dealer discount option.

The number of Congratulations sets available is tied to the total number of individual coins to be released, even though the bureau did not announce a product restriction for the popular annual set.

The Proof American Eagle silver dollar bears the obverse and reverse designs introduced in 1986 and used since then on the series. At mid-year, second silver Proof American Eagle will be released with a new reverse design.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2021-w-proof-american-eagle-silver-coin-and-set-popular

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    The Mint really needs to do something to preserve coin collecting for collectors.

Jeff
    Do you know about Product Enrollment?
    You add Mint products you know you will be buying and the quantity you want. As they become available you get the them sent automatically.

Since you get several coins from the Mint every year this method will supply your needs with out fighting the crowds on opening day or forgetting to manually order every time.

Consider it.

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@TheRaven said:

To which I would say, they are complete producing these and will move on to Type 2. Why else 327,440?

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 1:10PM

I seriously debated on Thursday whether to get it or not. Decided against it and got colored Libertads instead. :tongue:

• Options

@TheRaven said:

@Halfpence said:

@TheRaven said:

To which I would say, they are complete producing these and will move on to Type 2. Why else 327,440?

I don’t know jack about this stuff, but I interpret the US mint to mean that they will produce 300,000 of this product. That doesn’t mean they will only produce 300,000 of this coin.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2021 1:42PM

@TheRaven said:

@TheRaven said:

@Halfpence said:

@TheRaven said:

Same coin is in the Congratulations set. So there are already more than 327,000 of them. They also sell bulk lots to dealers that are just coins in capsules with no packaging or they used to.

There might well already be over 500,000 sold.

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@TheRaven said:

@Halfpence said:

@TheRaven said:

I don’t know jack about this stuff, but I interpret the US mint to mean that they will produce 300,000 of this product. That doesn’t mean they will only produce 300,000 of this coin.

That is correct. The mintage limit refers to the coin. The product limit refers to the specific packaging.

• Options

Still not a low mintage coin, but certainly not a high mintage coin in the set either.

• Options

@TheRaven said:
    Still not a low mintage coin, but certainly not a high mintage coin in the set either.

That won't be known until it's all done. It could well sell double or more recent issues. If it gets north of 700,000 wouldn't you consider that high?

• Options

I would consider that pretty high, but not going to get that high.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2021 3:28PM

@TheRaven said:
    I would consider that pretty high, but not going to get that high.

We're could be at 400k now. Not that far to go and a whole year to get there. They are the same planchets. They can easily strike both reverses all year if they want.

Nothing keeping them grim offering a 2 coin "limited edition" set later.

• Options

pinehurst coins?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presale-2021-W-Proof-1-American-Silver-Eagle-Box-OGP-COA/313416075911

43 sold, and I test entered numbers & 455 remain

• Options

Damn. Look at MCM go!

• Options

One things for sure, there will be more forum demand tomorrow morning at opening time.
    Today was most likely a gift.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 6:39PM

I grabbed one this morning. Met no problems, no high traffic, no site stalls, very smooth. But > @MilesWaits said:

I agree. It's gonna be a battle from here on out.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Hundreds of them available today.

They were everywhere! The fun is sometimes the hunt... So there I was watching the various prey in the Mint's field. After many seconds of watching and refreshing there she was! The one I have been waiting for. I started to round her up, had her in the bag but somehow she again disappeared into thin air! I looked over to my right and there was this newer prey, 2021 model to be exact, and the size of the herd was very large and impressive. I scooped up 99 of them and had them in the bag. I held them tight as I contemplated my next move, should I hit the button because of the hype or stay the course and let them go free as I don't need them. I chose the later and released them from my bag. The chase was fun but somewhere in that bag is my true target. The hunt continues, I will be back!

LOL....catch and release!!!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I grabbed one this morning. Met no problems, no high traffic, no site stalls, very smooth. But > @MilesWaits said:

I agree. It's gonna be a battle from here on out.

from the V75 to this. over 300,000 items sold in 10 minutes? no one here complaining about crashes and getting locked out?

just what the doctor ordered.

now to get them stop the 7:30am re-release and start with a new time. they don't have a new release every day...

this issue release was a success so far. (gotta fix those CC processing errors, too.)

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    One things for sure, there will be more forum demand tomorrow morning at opening time.

I don't know. We'll find out. The article posted above indicates 280,000 first day sales. For all we know there are still thousands of these out there. It is curious that they cut off sales early unless they are also counting the 35,000 Congratulations sets against the 327,000 total.

The Mint is an inscrutable lot.

• Options

I am going to guess that 327,440 number includes the 40 count trays and wonder if the coin world article specifically asked about the number of trays sold or if the 280k number included the trays.

I'm guessing we have a good 25,000 left of the non-congrats singles to sell.

• Options

And those are the ones they didn't feel the need to submit for slabbing.

If the big boys have adequate supply, this price is going to drop pretty quickly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file