Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who's buying the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Proof on Thursday? Mint Hi-Res images posted.

Comments

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

The 2019 & 2020 W proof coins sold about 375,000-380,000 coins. The mintage of 327,000 for this coin isn't really that far out of line at all. Nothing said this coin would sell out in what 10 minutes.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last published sales numbers:

2019 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (W) 346,366
    2020 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (W) 357,115
    2020 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ (W) 40 COIN 600

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Changes are needed at the Mint.
    Agree or Disagree ?

When I posted this I was thinking the Mint needs a collector or dealer on the "decision team" to represent collector needs / desires.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 3:40PM

Not sure how or if the Mint could possibly take orders for over 300,000 coins in less than 10 minutes.

Let's say every order taken was for 99 coins.

That's over 3,000 orders alone......I call foul.

Twenty coin orders would be 15,000 orders.

I think they just threw their hands up and cut off the orders.....just sayin'

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 3:41PM

Complaining about quick Mint sellouts is like complaining about the weather. Whoever is in charge of the weather doesn’t care what you think. Neither does the Mint, at least as far as the average collector goes. If the dealers and flippers are happy, all is right with the world.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

wasn't the 2018 palladium 15000 and sold out in minutes? 3000 orders in minutes is not impossible - and nothings sold out - sold out is sold out - it's currently unavailable

• i figured it might get pulled due to the recent high demand for silver. don't think the mint is up to any tricks. probably know they can't meet demand

• ..and yes, i made sure to buy just for that reason

• Danno44Danno44 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

99 HHL with subscription didn’t help the issue either.
    People had time to change order qty after the mintage and such were posted for a few weeks.
    plus emails were sent out to make confirm enrollment amounts and payment method.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    When did the Mint decide to make a limited mintage proof ASE?

Seems kinda dumb to limit this kind of bullion coin that has historically sold multiples of the 327,440 limit. More evidence that the idiots running the Mint have no idea what they are doing? Must be a nice, cushy job, that.

um....pretty much every other year these days.

@jessewvu said:
    I’m guessing they only had a certain amount minted and will post tons more when more are available.

Except they usually switch to "back order" not "remind me"

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goldenboy101 said:
    i figured it might get pulled due to the recent high demand for silver. don't think the mint is up to any tricks. probably know they can't meet demand

@goldenboy101 said:
    i figured it might get pulled due to the recent high demand for silver. don't think the mint is up to any tricks. probably know they can't meet demand

I don’t think current silver demand has much to do with it. I can’t imagine that the Mint doesn’t have contracts for the delivery of a certain amount of silver at a fixed price over a certain amount of time. Gold, too.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Not sure how or if the Mint could possibly take orders for over 300,000 coins in less than 10 minutes.

Why would they do that?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really didn’t expect these to be difficult to get.

Many happy BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Goldbully said:

Why would they do that?

I believe it was the ASE with the V75 privy mark that brought the Mint's system down last year. Perhaps now they have installed crash/stop points into the online software, sort of like the stock market when there's a run on selling. When the Mint's system recognized a run on the product, the selling of 2021 ASE's was halted.

I know, I know...I'm very conspiratorial here, but it is one explanation for the abrupt stoppage of coins sales at ~12:10 today.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

it was def before 12:10 - congrats set went to remind me first, shortly thereafter followed by the standalone proof - I dont know if I have it in me to do this rooster-crowing get-up-and-frantically-refresh business 😅 - gonna 🤞 that my disaster order will go through

@Goldbully said:

@MFeld said:

@Goldbully said:

Why would they do that?

I believe it was the ASE with the V75 privy mark that brought the Mint's system down last year. Perhaps now they have installed crash/stop points into the online software, sort of like the stock market when there's a run on selling. When the Mint's system recognized a run on the product, the selling of 2021 ASE's was halted.

I know, I know...I'm very conspiratorial here, but it is one explanation for the abrupt stoppage of coins sales at ~12:10 today.

Really not that unusual if they had a lot of bulk buyers. We've had 100k issues sell out in 10 minutes before.

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be patient, the prices will come down to more realistic levels. Don't put it past the Mint to issue a San Francisco version, reverse proofs, colorized or ????? As long as they have suckers to buy these things, they'll keep making them.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Lol, you have to appreciate that somehow there is drama on an unlimited release. Just wow

@Guxiyou said:
    Lol, you have to appreciate that somehow there is drama on an unlimited release. Just wow

Yup...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

This confirms what I noticed after the sellout of the 2020 mint sets after the W-nickel was pulled. The mint knew exactly what it was doing with the V75s and has succeeded beyond its wildest dreams.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    This confirms what I noticed after the sellout of the 2020 mint sets after the W-nickel was pulled. The mint knew exactly what it was doing with the V75s and has succeeded beyond its wildest dreams.

Uh.... what?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 9:07PM

@jessewvu said:

@daltex said:

Uh.... what?

Short version: even though many people were upset with the way the mint handled the V75s, it was able to convince the public that buying mint product directly from the mint was a great deal. The evidence for this was shown when the 2020 mint set sold out both quickly and for the first time in recent memory and confirmed today. No long-time mint customers would have believed it possible.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

I was starkly reminded of why I dropped out of the Coin Business today.
    Not 9 minutes in, this limited edition of only 327,440 coins with a "household limit of 99" was completely sold out.
    WTF is wrong with the US Mint that they would put a HH Limit of "99 coins" on a limited edition Silver Easgle which they had been hyping all year?
    Of course, all the big boys jumped into the fray to shut out us little guys that only want a complete collection so that they can enjoy massive profits!
    It's disgusting. Why not a HH Limit of 5 coins? Or is the US Mint a complicit entity in the profit wars??
    I'm glad I'm out of it. I'm glad I cancelled all my subscriptions with the US Mint!
    If only the Secretary of the Treasury would eliminate the paper dollar, the US Mint could recoup $180 Million a year!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@19Lyds said:
    I was starkly reminded of why I dropped out of the Coin Business today.
    Not 9 minutes in, this limited edition of only 327,440 coins with a "household limit of 99" was completely sold out.
    WTF is wrong with the US Mint that they would put a HH Limit of "99 coins" on a limited edition Silver Easgle which they had been hyping all year?
    Of course, all the big boys jumped into the fray to shut out us little guys that only want a complete collection so that they can enjoy massive profits!
    It's disgusting. Why not a HH Limit of 5 coins? Or is the US Mint a complicit entity in the profit wars??
    I'm glad I'm out of it. I'm glad I cancelled all my subscriptions with the US Mint!
    If only the Secretary of the Treasury would eliminate the paper dollar, the US Mint could recoup $180 Million a year!

I’m still trying to figure out why anyone would pay 73$ for a 27$ ounce of silver???
    And then once it’s encapsulated people are going to pay hundreds of dollars for some plastic worth about 15 cents and a pretty paper label worth a hundredth of a cent. A hyped up promotional product....I’m glad I’m out. Not mention how many of those 327,440:coins will have scratches , hairs and grease spots and haze spots on them due to the great quality control out of the mint.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't even realize it went on sale, can't believe a standard proof ASE is gone in minutes.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Didn't even realize it went on sale, can't believe a standard proof ASE is gone in minutes.

Same here. I just assumed that, despite the runup in silver prices, that this would draw only normal interest, since it was priced so much higher than the going silver price.

@ernie11 said:

@morgansforever said:

Same here. I just assumed that, despite the runup in silver prices, that this would draw only normal interest, since it was priced so much higher than the going silver price.

No one should ever buy this as bullion. They always have a huge premium

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    When did the Mint decide to make a limited mintage proof ASE?

Seems kinda dumb to limit this kind of bullion coin

I don't think that's the problem. I think it has to do with many factors...how much silver available, rising costs of silver, how many people working during this pandemic, and then this isn't the only proof they're minting this year...This design is being retired. They are at the finish line with it. The mint is trying to move forward. There's the new design (which they'll probably focus on minting more), the reverse proof set, then the "S" mint new design version...I think they're being very careful as this is just really the first pass and they don't want to have a surplus of them. They really don't want to mint 'em n' melt 'em.

Hundreds of them available today.

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still available

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get yer 99, troops!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I bet these will be around for a while.

@MilesWaits said:
    Go get yer 99, troops!

I stopped at 66. LOL.

I don't think they will have any premium by the time I even get them delivered. But I took my shot.

Interestingly, no Congratulations sets came available. They must not have any packaging for those. LOL

edited February 12, 2021 5:38AM

7 minutes in and still more than 99 available. It will be interesting to get the 1st day sales numbers if the Mint releases them.

edited February 12, 2021 5:41AM

I bought 9 more....still more than 99 available.

I better go to class before I'm tempted to try and buy them out. ;)

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else having problems adding stuff to their bag? I tried to add several different items to my bag at 0741 and it won't add it.

@jessewvu said:
    Anyone else having problems adding stuff to their bag? I tried to add several different items to my bag at 0741 and it won't add it.

No. It's just you. Happens occasionally.

Try using your cell phone instead.

1 left!

gone again...until the next time!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, snoozed, losed.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Gone....poof!😂🤣

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Gone....poof!😂🤣

LOL. Since it took 15 minutes, it was more like poo..........................ooooooooooooooooooooo........................oooooooooooooooooo......................................oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................f!

@MilesWaits said:
    Ok, snoozed, losed.

There were soooo many available, you have to wonder whether they didn't just stop sales early yesterday. People have a tendency to overinterpret the "remind me" notice.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

They were everywhere! The fun is sometimes the hunt... So there I was watching the various prey in the Mint's field. After many seconds of watching and refreshing there she was! The one I have been waiting for. I started to round her up, had her in the bag but somehow she again disappeared into thin air! I looked over to my right and there was this newer prey, 2021 model to be exact, and the size of the herd was very large and impressive. I scooped up 99 of them and had them in the bag. I held them tight as I contemplated my next move, should I hit the button because of the hype or stay the course and let them go free as I don't need them. I chose the later and released them from my bag. The chase was fun but somewhere in that bag is my true target. The hunt continues, I will be back!

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    Go get yer 99, troops!

I stopped at 66. LOL.

I don't think they will have any premium by the time I even get them delivered. But I took my shot.

You may be surprised.....😎

@spotthedog said:
    I bet these will be around for a while.

Nope....gone in 13 minutes!

@Batman23 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They were everywhere! The fun is sometimes the hunt... So there I was watching the various prey in the Mint's field. After many seconds of watching and refreshing there she was! The one I have been waiting for. I started to round her up, had her in the bag but somehow she again disappeared into thin air! I looked over to my right and there was this newer prey, 2021 model to be exact, and the size of the herd was very large and impressive. I scooped up 99 of them and had them in the bag. I held them tight as I contemplated my next move, should I hit the button because of the hype or stay the course and let them go free as I don't need them. I chose the later and released them from my bag. The chase was fun but somewhere in that bag is my true target. The hunt continues, I will be back!

LOL. You could have kept just one in the bag to whet your appetite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file