Home U.S. Coin Forum

X marks the spot..should it grade problem free? Grade Revealed

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2020 5:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Curious what you guys think about this purdy coin.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Detail grade due to scratches.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 3:46AM

It should grade. Can not tell what grade without seeing how the luster is, but I am assuming its AU something. Technical 58, knocked to a 55 for scratching?

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is pretty, too bad about that apparently deliberate X.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 4:54AM

Still a nice coin!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

bummer, but no

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, graffiti... Too bad, nice coin otherwise. Cheers, RickO

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 7:03AM

Me thinks somebody cheated! >:)

PS I know some will disagree, but even without the scratches the coin has too may hits for me to accept as a 58.

@DelawareDoons said:
    It should grade. Can not tell what grade without seeing how the luster is, but I am assuming its AU something. Technical 58, knocked to a 55 for scratching?

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 7:29AM

I’ll go against the majority and say it should straight grade. If it were done deliberately I’d expect there to be a more uniform depth to the scratches. It’s still unfortunate and distracting.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fields look pretty clean, but still likely details. Too bad. Nice looking coin overall.

@clarkbar04 said:
    I’ll go against the majority and say it should straight grade. If it were done deliberately I’d expect there to be a more uniform depth to the scratches. It’s still unfortunate and distracting.

A scratch is still damage if it's accidental rather than done on purpose.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Sure, but considering bag marks are damage caused by other coins, as this also appears to be, few coins would straight grade using that logic.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

@clarkbar04 said:

@PerryHall said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Sure, but considering bag marks are damage caused by other coins, as this also appears to be, few coins would straight grade using that logic.

Bag marks are treated differently than scratches.

You would be surprised at some coins I've submitted that come back in a scratched details holder that are not even close to being as severe as this and not in easy to see spot like the neck on this coin!

@clarkbar04 said:

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully just netted down for problems. Question to me is old vs. new marks, how severe the problem is, whether the overall appeal is there or not.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

it would grade if worn to EF and let sit for 2-3 years

• KSorboKSorbo Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Even under magnification it’s not distracting. I say straight grade, netted down for the scratches.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, I still like to color

Frank

BHNC #203

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

It COULD straight grade. Really depends on the grader+coin in hand.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:
    .......Really depends on the grader+coin in hand.

Doesn't it always? ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@CalifornianKing said:
    .......Really depends on the grader+coin in hand.

Doesn't it always? ;)

Not always, sometimes it's a no brainer. IE heavly scrubbed/holed ect.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think scratches are based on severity. I have some straight graded coins with scratches that aren’t all that bad. I think it comes down to “is the scratch the first thing you see?” If not, it’s probably ok...

These are both scratched. It doesn’t bother me at all...

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratches are scratches.
    If bad then no straight grade. If normal wear or contact scratches then grade commensurate to the wear.
    Graffiti is a no no.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Me thinks somebody cheated! >:)

PS I know some will disagree, but even without the scratches the coin has too may hits for me to accept as a 58.

@DelawareDoons said:

Why, because I can grade?

For what its worth, I originally said 55 netted to a 53 grade, then bumped it after a second look and not seeing a lot of rub on the high points.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 5:08PM

Deliberate graffiti should not straight grade.

Genuine-graffiti/AU 55-Details.

Nice color.

X marks the spot......Maybe this was once part of some Pirates Treasure?? ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are at least 3 X's there. If deemed deliberate, then no grade. If not, only the shadow knows...........

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a Quarter much larger than life. I would think that in hand, these scratches don't jump out as bad. I would think it would straight grade.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I look at the image in the original post and look at the coin as a whole, the x doesn't stand out too much and the "whole of the coin" and eye appeal win out. So, I think it would straight grade assuming that image is accurate. It doesn't appear that the x on the neck is deliberate as the crossing scratches appear to be different types. The one going from NW to SE appears to be more shallow. The nicks under the eye and on the chin bother me more from an eye appeal standpoint.

It's a Half with an S on the back.

@bsshog40 said:
    I see a Quarter much larger than life. I would think that in hand, these scratches don't jump out as bad. I would think it would straight grade.

@bsshog40 said:

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    It's a Half with an S on the back.

@bsshog40 said:

@bsshog40 said:

oops, Not much with Barbers. Lol I still think it will grade.

Here's the slab picture. I'm wondering if the buyer saw the scratches. If 2 serious contenders were after that coin that didn't see the scratches I would wager it would have sold for quite a bit more! All the other nicely toned Barber Material in the auction blew the PCGS price guide prices away! This one went for less than price guide. This is also one of the reasons I feel they will not raise the prices....these outliers really hurt the market for the nice coins to a degree.

Has this coin been to CAC? I wonder if JA thinks that graffiti is acceptable?

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think the x is deliberate, just coincidental that two scratches formed the x. Awful banged up on the surfaces IMO for the 55, but still worthy of a grade , especially being an 04-s. I personally would not buy it. And most likely submitted by a dealer.

@jdimmick said:
    ...... but still worthy of a grade , especially being an 04-s.......

Are you saying there should be different and more lenient grading standards for better date?

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but there is IMO

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had cac sticker better date coins with substantial hits; it all comes down to overall quality of the coin.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anyone who cares to answer - do you think that if the “x” looks to have been intentionally made, it should lead to a different grading result than if it were the result of random circulation marks?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a feeling it was straight graded. Some people here are very tough on potential problem coins. I've seen much worse damage than that in slabs.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Here's the slab picture. I'm wondering if the buyer saw the scratches. If 2 serious contenders were after that coin that didn't see the scratches I would wager it would have sold for quite a bit more! All the other nicely toned Barber Material in the auction blew the PCGS price guide prices away! This one went for less than price guide. This is also one of the reasons I feel they will not raise the prices....these outliers really hurt the market for the nice coins to a degree.

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

It belongs in a "details" holder. It makes no difference how the "X" got there. Every time the coin is viewed the "X" will become more and more annoying. It is a problem coin that is likely to continue causing problems for the current and future owners. If offered to me I would decline to buy it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it quite deserves a “details” holder, and I think those marks probably look relatively minor in hand. It’s just a “C or D” quality half for the grade.

As to an earlier question, deliberate marking would be wise, if you could know for sure.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    It belongs in a "details" holder. It makes no difference how the "X" got there. Every time the coin is viewed the "X" will become more and more annoying. It is a problem coin that is likely to continue causing problems for the current and future owners. If offered to me I would decline to buy it.

I’d the “X” wasn’t deliberately made and is the result of random circulation marks, why should the coin be in a “details” holder? Because it looks like an “X” or because of the severity of the marks?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

And to the flip side I've seen much less severe deemed scratched or what ever.

@mcarney1173 said:
    I had a feeling it was straight graded. Some people here are very tough on potential problem coins. I've seen much worse damage than that in slabs.

I guess you could see it that way. Seems the yucky coins bring the prices down but the nice coins do not bring the prices up. Of course most the nice coins are traded privately.

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The X on the neck is not casual or accidental, it is intentional....and in response to @MFeld... Yes, if intentional graffiti, it should be 'details' grade (IMO - but that is grading, opinions). This coin should not be straight graded. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

I’d the “X” wasn’t deliberately made and is the result of random circulation marks, why should the coin be in a “details” holder? Because it looks like an “X” or because of the severity of the marks?

It makes no difference. The "X" looks deliberate regardless of if it was or not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not want the coin in my collection. Several years ago I saw a Bust Quarter with a prominent X on the cheek. I could not believe it was straight graded.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 11:23AM

@golden said:
    I would not want the coin in my collection. Several years ago I saw a Bust Quarter with a prominent X on the cheek. I could not believe it was straight graded.

Graffiti coins turn up straight graded in major TPGS slabs from time to time. @BillJones posted one, as an example many years ago, that he deemed as unsuitable. Personally, I do not like them nor would I want to own one.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the camp to bag it. Some scratches I think warrant a net grade, but this appears deliberate. It looks like graffiti to me. The TPGs are sticklers for tooled coins, regardless how minor or how well the job was done. I think they treat coins like this one likewise.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file