Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

1828384858688»

Comments

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    I should have said 'mostly' happy! At least one of these is a real head scratcher...

Ummm...may be unfortunate choice of words...
    Now I'm on my computer to better look at the pics...is that a scratch on the case or the card?

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@BBBrkrr said:
    I should have said 'mostly' happy! At least one of these is a real head scratcher...

Ummm...may be unfortunate choice of words...
    Now I'm on my computer to better look at the pics...is that a scratch on the case or the card?

Don’t know since they’re still on the way back to me.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

Did the crease that’s not there get you?

• Options

We'll see in a day or so when they arrive.

So many Miscuts and Size issues on these 70s Holiday Special cards that didn't get graded. Probably at least 1/3 and maybe close to 50%. All these were 70-77s. Never had a submission turn out like that, and don't really know why.

I'm going to take all of those and send them to another service and see how they do. I may even crack out the 5/6s just to see what kind of comparison I get.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

That's a heck of a lot of miscuts and minsize. Vending??? SGC slabs lots of those and gives a grade.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    That's a heck of a lot of miscuts and minsize. Vending??? SGC slabs lots of those and gives a grade.

It was and I’ve never seen anything like it. All 76-78 were from vending or wax (77 cloth).

Yeah, that’s where they’ll all be heading next along with some I’m cracking that I feel were harshly graded.

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

Two subs popped over the last week. One was a 70's special. 29 cards arrived 12/22 and had back in hand 1/30. The other was a January modern special. Arrived 1/18 and grades popped 2/2. I have an 80's special there that arrived 12/22 that is still in R&ID though which is odd given how fast other stubs are moving for myself and others and the fact it is all base, easy stuff. 1989 score football and the like.

• Options

i have 4 cards (prewar)...2 which i cracked from Sgc. the other 2 were raw.
    Now these are hand-cut cards...so not expecting a numerical grade.
    Value (1979-Older) service•65 Business Day Turnaround
    Expected completion 4/23
    Arrived 1/19
    Research ID 1/24
    Grade 1/25......and still there

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

Vintage is taking a lot longer than (most) modern. I've had pretty good luck but I've seen some long running subs on the old stuff. The modern stuff has been flying lately, which is great!

• Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

reholder sub logged Sept 14. 100+ business days and still waiting. infuriating.

• Options

@backbidder said:
    reholder sub logged Sept 14. 100+ business days and still waiting. infuriating.

What is with slowness on that reholder special?

Here's mine:

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2024 8:49PM

Aint nobody want to go in the room with safety glasses and wire cutters with the risk of getting yelled at for damaging a card. It's probably more of a punishment than anything. Haha. Everything else save packs is fast now though. Super fast.

• Options

Just got notice of my grades on the last remaining 70s Holiday Special. Grades returned on only 10 of the 40. The rest were returned ungraded with the Minimum Size. All 1970-1974 and almost all these were directly from being cracked from other graders along with some pulled from a set I'd bought years ago. Very odd and never had anything like that happen before.

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I've had this on a few orders of 70's cards lately. A bunch of cards come back Minimum Size. I am 100% confident these cards have not been trimmed or altered. I find it very often with 1971 Topps in particular. I have been amassing lots of the best 1971's I could find and very often they Minimum Size them. It seems like a cop out on PSA's part to not grade them. These are all cards that I believe should be 8's or better or they aren't worth submitting. I completely understand extra scrutiny of 1971 Topps but it is getting to the point where they are Minimum Sizing many cards rather than giving the high grade the cards deserve.

• Options

I’ve had quite a few min size as well. Two I’ve gotten back were definitely shirt and I just missed it. One was a “Gem grading” crackout and I should have known better. The others measure just fine but aren’t worth re-sending until another $15 special comes along. I did have two that sent a second time and both of those came back with a grade the next time around. I have been pleased with the turnaround times and the lack of qualifiers as well. Overall been very happy lately. I would not have been pleased with 10/40 being N6 though… I feel your frustration there. At least the fees are returned and you can try again.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    Just got notice of my grades on the last remaining 70s Holiday Special. Grades returned on only 10 of the 40. The rest were returned ungraded with the Minimum Size. All 1970-1974 and almost all these were directly from being cracked from other graders along with some pulled from a set I'd bought years ago. Very odd and never had anything like that happen before.

That's crazy. So many. Are they really not minimum size, or has PSA moved the goal posts with their grading standards I wonder?

• Options

I wonder if all the recent minsizes are a result of AI?
    It's being used to measure centering, so it makes sense they'd use it for card size, and possibly set the tolerances pretty tight.

I'm still waiting on my 70s special that's been in Assembly for a month+.
    Looks like they're going to use every bit of that March 4 completion date, and maybe beyond?

And I did discover yet another mislabeled SGC card as I was listing it on ebay.
    That means 4 out of 23 sent to SGC were mislabeled.
    They did send me a FedEx return shipping label and I shipped it Feb 12.
    They JUST received it today, Feb 28....16 days later. Come on FedEx.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@BBBrkrr said:

That's crazy. So many. Are they really not minimum size, or has PSA moved the goal posts with their grading standards I wonder?

I don't know. All I know is that in all my subs before last winter I'd occasionally get one or two returned and not graded. Then for the 70s Holiday specials I was getting around 10-20% returned as Min Size. This last order though was almost 75% returned as Min Size.

I only sub vintage and mostly 70s so you expect a few returns, but this is crazy.

Hard to know if it's the AI measuring or what. I don't have them in hand to check yet since grades just popped this morning.

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I submitted my first five cards to SGC and was pleasantly surprised. Process was easy and had the cards back in around 14 days.

Results-
    1 2017 Panini Score #403 Patrick Mahomes II-10

2 1978 Topps #708 Dale Murphy-7

3 1968 Topps #50 Willie Mays-7.5

4 1988-89 Fleer #120 Michael Jordan All-Star-8

5 2008 Topps Update UH240 Clayton Kershaw-9.5

• Options

@Norcal said:
    I submitted my first five cards to SGC and was pleasantly surprised. Process was easy and had the cards back in around 14 days.

Results-
    1 2017 Panini Score #403 Patrick Mahomes II-10

2 1978 Topps #708 Dale Murphy-7

3 1968 Topps #50 Willie Mays-7.5

4 1988-89 Fleer #120 Michael Jordan All-Star-8

5 2008 Topps Update UH240 Clayton Kershaw-9.5

I started my first this weekend, but was waiting to send them until I got this last order back. Based on how earlier ones had gone I was expecting more to add that didn't get graded. (Glad I waited!).

I'll finish and get it out the door to SGC next week. It's a mix of Min Sizers and some I cracked from PSA that I thought were a bit harshly graded.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

PSA (AI) is putting MIN.SIZE on cards that have been mashed in screw downs. I have received some back( 1960"S.)AI is picking them out.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also subbed SGC a few weeks back and turn was quick and results were fair - not easy, they smashed me on a few cards but like old PSA subs, got some high grades.

I’m still a PSA guy and can’t wait for the day I can confidently sub OPC baseball and hockey from the 80s and feel I have a chance to get 9s and 10s, in 30-45 days at a price that makes sense.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

75% returned Min. Size would be depressing and would probably require me to obtain a new/unopened bottle of boubon.

• Options

And now SGC just got bought by PSA. 😛

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I had an order pop and wanted to discuss with customer service. You can only send a message through the portal. Problem is now my order has shipped and no one has responded to my message. Very frustrating.

• Options

@jayhawke said:
    I had an order pop and wanted to discuss with customer service. You can only send a message through the portal. Problem is now my order has shipped and no one has responded to my message. Very frustrating.

The new portal experience has been less than stellar and phone calls need to be done immediately in the morning. I feel like lots of improvements in many areas but that experience still has work to do. Hopefully it’s nothing major for you.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@envoy982 said:

@jayhawke said:

The new portal experience has been less than stellar and phone calls need to be done immediately in the morning. I feel like lots of improvements in many areas but that experience still has work to do. Hopefully it’s nothing major for you.

Cost me $1500.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

And I did discover yet another mislabeled SGC card as I was listing it on ebay.
    That means 4 out of 23 sent to SGC were mislabeled.
    They did send me a FedEx return shipping label and I shipped it Feb 12.
    They JUST received it today, Feb 28....16 days later. Come on FedEx.

Just to follow up...the 2 mislabeled cards arrived at SGC on Feb 28.
    SGC fixed them and shipped them out Feb 29. 1 Day turnaround.
    I received them via USPS Priority on March 4.

• Options

I don’t know anything about that Griffey but that Marino is huge! It must have been an absolute stunner to get a 10! Congrats!!

• Options

@azvike said:
    Super fast turnaround also...Logged 2/8, poppage 3/4.

Meanwhile.....

....my already graded 11 card sub is still sitting on a counter somewhere waiting to get slabbed.
    70 business days so far. So frustrating.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

I love getting the up charge e-mail

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@azvike said:

Meanwhile.....

....my already graded 11 card sub is still sitting on a counter somewhere waiting to get slabbed.

What did you send? Both of mine from that timeframe were graded pretty quick and are already back to me;

• Options

@envoy982 said:

@RonSportscards said:

@azvike said:

Meanwhile.....

What did you send? Both of mine from that timeframe were graded pretty quick and are already back to me;

Some oddball, 74 Topps stamps, 77 Topps Venezuela, and 70s OPC.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 70s special just popped.

Rec'd Dec 23
    Shipped Mar 7

Not sure if I'm happy or not. 10% PSA 9s which is low for 70s material but then I did have about a quarter of the sub filled with '71T baseball. Of course no 9's on those vending cards. I think they've stopped giving 9s on them. A few upgrades for my 1975 and 1976 baseball sets.

• Options

Upgrades for your sets are always nice. I keep sending in stuff I already own in an effort to either upgrade what I have or sell off to pay for an upgrade. I don’t usually get 9’s on 70’s stuff though so you’re far better off than me!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 12:44PM

Here are a few nice upgrades I got for my sets.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Just submitted a 26 card Value Bulk (1980-Present, $18.99/card, 45 business days) order that arrived at PSA on Monday (3/18). It's 23 baseball certified autos (2004-2023) and three baseball RC's (2001-2008). Grading just the cards, not the autographs. Anyone have any recent experience on turnaround times for a similar order?

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

@paleocards said:
    Just submitted a 26 card Value Bulk (1980-Present, $18.99/card, 45 business days) order that arrived at PSA on Monday (3/18). It's 23 baseball certified autos (2004-2023) and three baseball RC's (2001-2008). Grading just the cards, not the autographs. Anyone have any recent experience on turnaround times for a similar order?

All of mine have been completing inside of 1 month

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

Thanks halosfan, that's good to know!

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Eight item Value Order (1980-Present) @ $24.99 per card arrived Feb 26.
    Estimated completion listed as May 1 (65 days).
    Order shipped complete on March 21 (25 days).

• Options

Thanks OneDaysRide - also encouraging news!

• Options

My 70s special just popped. 80+ days.

Of course I got murdered on a couple of them. It's like they HAVE to toss in a couple ridiculously low grades in each sub.

And I guess they aren't giving out anything higher than an PSA8 on 70s OPC, not with me anyway.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 10:00AM

Just to update this thread: my grades popped on Friday, April 19th, after only 19 business days (projected May 29th; 45 business days)! Thrilled with the turn-around time, especially after my last 15-card modern order that I sent in during the pandemic (September 2020) that wasn't completed until 8 months later (May 2021). Haven't looked at my grades online, for the first time ever I'm going to wait until they're in-hand (FedEx delivery slated for Tuesday). Excited!