Home Sports Talk
Options

So if Cam Newton has success this season and Tom Brady doesn't.....

124»

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What this whole thing shows me is how stupid and useless your typical TV analyst is .

They are wrong about every aspect of this stuff every week. How stupid and useless do they need to be to get fired?

They never do get fired though , unless they make a racist comment on the twitter :D

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    What this whole thing shows me is how stupid and useless your typical TV analyst is .

They are wrong about every aspect of this stuff every week. How stupid and useless do they need to be to get fired?

They never do get fired though , unless they make a racist comment on the twitter :D

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that will be an unpopular point of view, but it’s coach Belichick, not Newton, who is primarily responsible if New England does well this year. If Newton had not caught Covid, which thew off Belichick’s coaching schedule, the Pats might have had a couple more wins at this point, which would make a big difference.

As for the Tampa Bucks, Brady has had a couple of bad games, but of late their pass defense has been terrible. It’s also like the Bucks pass defenders have been saying, “OK fellows, you guys play pitch and catch, we’ll watch.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I know that will be an unpopular point of view, but it’s coach Belichick, not Newton, who is primarily responsible if New England does well this year. If Newton had not caught Covid, which thew off Belichick’s coaching schedule, the Pats might have had a couple more wins at this point, which would make a big difference.

As for the Tampa Bucks, Brady has had a couple of bad games, but of late their pass defense has been terrible. It’s also like the Bucks pass defenders have been saying, “OK fellows, you guys play pitch and catch, we’ll watch.”

bill is a great coach we all agree . You know what though? If he would just accept the fact that he can't draft or trade and farm that out to someone qualified we would be in a whole different place.

There is no "I" in team except Bill's apparently

Bill the coach does not get any praise from me for overcoming Bill the GM's terrible roster management

• Options

Watch as I dig a huge hole with a tiny shovel and then fill it in again .

Why aren't you proud of me "I WORKED SO HARD" ?

• Options
    edited December 7, 2020 9:04AM

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

All week idiot Felger says don't ever let gunner touch the ball again , cut his ass .

The talking heads know nothing about the playing of sports they just yards per gallon whatever stat retards . Even the former players who should know better do the same crap.

Oh so and so (phillip rivers ? ) is done ! Ooops he threw 6 TD's

Its worst with Brady watching them flip flop through 360 degrees of hot take after a good game

MVP

after a bad game

he should retire!

they are like weathermen looking out the window at a massive tornado saying put on your sunscreen folks

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:
    Well still a quarter season left to play, but so far the Belichick team at 6-6, coming off a magnificent 45-0 rout, is more impressive than the Brady team, loaded up with talent, that is 7-5, with only one more win than the Belichick team...as far as further proving who was the most important factor in the Belichick/Brady dynasty.

I disagree - whether it’s looked like the Pats or the Bucs, there is little we can draw from this exercise.

Even if one team wins the Super Bowl this season, you wont know and you never will. And to be honest, they’re both small pieces in a larger puzzle. It was a symbiotic relationship created over a twenty year period that produced one of the great dynasties in sports history.

Not quite the Yankees, Canadians, Celtics or UCLA Bruins but right there on that next rung and probably the best football has ever seen.

<<< Not quite the Yankees, Canadians, Celtics or UCLA Bruins but right there on that next rung and probably the best football has ever seen. >>>

The Belichick/Brady era was MUCH more impressive than any of that you mentioned and it's not even close.

For example the Yankees 1920's thru 1950's just simply outspent all the other teams with scouting, bonus signings, etc. For example they bought the Babe for cash, etc.

With the UCLA dynasty, all Wooden had to do back then was recruit a top star center, and there you had it...championships...Lew Alcindor, etc. Not dissimilar with having Bill Russell and a few other superstars on your team with the Celtics. Basketball being a simple game when it's cut and dried.

I don't know chit about hockey so i can't compare that.

Belichick doing it in a salary cap era in an extremely complex game such as football, with receiving low draft packs each year because of his success, etc, etc, etc, and superbly coaching up a non-athletic sixth round draft pick and molding him into a superstar is a remarkable feat of coaching, all of which in my opinion will likely never be duplicated.

That being said, of course I agree with ya about the symbiotic relationship...but with Belichick being the more beneficial to Brady than vice versa.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

All week idiot Felger says don't ever let gunner touch the ball again , cut his ass .

The talking heads know nothing about the playing of sports they just yards per gallon whatever stat retards . Even the former players who should know better do the same crap.

Oh so and so (phillip rivers ? ) is done ! Ooops he threw 6 TD's

Its worst with Brady watching them flip flop through 360 degrees of hot take after a good game

MVP

after a bad game

he should retire!

they are like weathermen looking out the window at a massive tornado saying put on your sunscreen folks

I HATE Felger

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    superbly coaching up a non-athletic sixth round draft pick and molding him into a superstar is a remarkable feat of coaching, all of which in my opinion will likely never be duplicated.

Tom Brady's pre-NFL days are well documented because of what he became. The interviews, anecdotes, and personal accounts are ubiquitous. Most importantly and more specifically the documentation and analysis of his time at Michigan.

For those who want to find it, there is much to take from this information that supports the idea that Brady's destiny for greatness predated Belichick.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:
    superbly coaching up a non-athletic sixth round draft pick and molding him into a superstar is a remarkable feat of coaching, all of which in my opinion will likely never be duplicated.

Tom Brady's pre-NFL days are well documented because of what he became. The interviews, anecdotes, and personal accounts are ubiquitous. Most importantly and more specifically the documentation and analysis of his time at Michigan.

For those who want to find it, there is much to take from this information that supports the idea that Brady's destiny for greatness predated Belichick.

Sorry but there is no such thing as a six round draft pick who had a predated destiny for greatness, or he wouldn't have fallen to the sixth round.

I'm sure that every single draft pick ever, if they would have become a superstar, would have had some sort of "media story" behind it that the player was destined for greatness.

I mean every player just to be drafted has to be a pretty darn good football player. So they were already stars in high school, college, etc.

Most Hall of Fame quarterbacks were drafted in the first or second round, and those were the ones who were truly predated for greatness, and they achieved it.

Tom Brady will some day be a unanimous Hall of Famer and of course he did that with an iron will, fierce tenacity, and a steel tough competitive spirit which Bill Belichick helped bring out and expand.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Well still a quarter season left to play, but so far the Belichick team at 6-6, coming off a magnificent 45-0 rout, is more impressive than the Brady team, loaded up with talent, that is 7-5, with only one more win than the Belichick team...as far as further proving who was the most important factor in the Belichick/Brady dynasty.

This post didn't exactly age well, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

grote- I haven't visited this thread since September but just read through them all since then and
    none of Steve's posts aged well.
    I also like taking shot's at Brady but not constantly because eventually Brady is going to make your
    posts look stupid. Well today Brady had a passer rating of 158.3, which I think is a perfect rating.
    Steve just a jab now and then and nobody notices. :p

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

340 yards and 4 td.

in the first half.

unreal.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Tom Brady for MVP! :o

• Options

If Tom Brady wins MVP this year I sure hope its for the regular season and not the Super Bowl. :'(

• Options

if this is Brady and the Bucs getting that offense in sync just before the tournament, look out. in his last 4 quarters of football Brady has 663 yards 6 TD and 0 int.

the team who wins the super bowl isnt necessarily the best team, but sometimes the hottest team.

they actually played KC quite well a few weeks ago. they spotted them 17 in the first quarter, then won the final 3 quarters 24-10.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

This post didn't exactly age well, LOL..

And neither has your Monday morning quarterbacking. LOL

• Options

@Darin said:
    grote- I haven't visited this thread since September but just read through them all since then and
    I also like taking shot's at Brady but not constantly because eventually Brady is going to make your
    posts look stupid. Well today Brady had a passer rating of 158.3, which I think is a perfect rating.

I don't mind at all Brady doing well this season. I've stated before on this forum as clear as i can, that I'm a fan of Tom Brady as much as i can be a fan of any non-Eagles player. Same way I've admired Jim Brown, Butkus, Montana, and others over the years.

My viewpoint on the Belichick/Brady era hasn't changed. I still feel that Belichick was more important than Brady in the equation.

I give Brady all the kudos for doing whatever he is doing to continue to play at a high level the game of professional football. It is quite remarkable.

The only thing I'm reconsidering is that i may, just "may", have to place Brady as the GOAT over Joe Montana. If Brady wins the Super Bowl this season, then i would definitely do it. But i may do it anyway even if he doesn't.

If i make the executive decision to name Tom Brady the GOAT, I'll announce it at a news conference, but post it first here. B)

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow down boys. Just slow down. Yes it was a great performance by the GOAT. No there are no questions about his ability to still sling it. But gentlemen this was the Detroit Lions not the 85 Bears.
    An MVP can’t have 5 sub par games. One or 2 clunkers is acceptable. I’m a big Brady fan but he’s not the MVP this year.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

only the loser players care about MVP trophy . Thats Aaron rodgers for example , its rings buddy not stupid awards and don't get me started on the probowl.

Brady doesn't care about that garbage he wants to win

• Options

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

I don't mind at all Brady doing well this season. I've stated before on this forum as clear as i can, that I'm a fan of Tom Brady as much as i can be a fan of any non-Eagles player. Same way I've admired Jim Brown, Butkus, Montana, and others over the years.

My viewpoint on the Belichick/Brady era hasn't changed. I still feel that Belichick was more important than Brady in the equation.

I give Brady all the kudos for doing whatever he is doing to continue to play at a high level the game of professional football. It is quite remarkable.

The only thing I'm reconsidering is that i may, just "may", have to place Brady as the GOAT over Joe Montana. If Brady wins the Super Bowl this season, then i would definitely do it. But i may do it anyway even if he doesn't.

If i make the executive decision to name Tom Brady the GOAT, I'll announce it at a news conference, but post it first here. B)

What did Montana do that Brady hasn't? It seems Brady has done all Joe did and then quite a bit more

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

What did Montana do that Brady hasn't? It seems Brady has done all Joe did and then quite a bit more

You make a good point to ponder. But I've always factored in Belichick the GOAT as a primary reason for Brady's success. Of course Bill Walsh was no slouch and he certainly had a positive effect on Joe Montana.

Now that Brady has had success under a different head coach, the situation of QB GOAT has to be re-examined. Of course realizing that the Belichick principles of success and winning have been engraved in Brady's character.

It will be interesting to see how Brady performs in the playoffs when the intensity and speed of the game increases. Can his "old age for a quarterback" handle it?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said

Of course realizing that the Belichick principles of success and winning have been engraved in Brady's character.

Brady's principles of success and winning were on display and well-documented during his college days. His motivation, work ethic, and psychology were on a different level.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl.

Joe Montana switched conferences and lead the Kansas City Chiefs to the AFC title game.

Joe Montana played in a much more dangerous and defensive era of professional football, and I say that having actually watched the games. The defense used to be allowed to do a lot more to stop the pass and at this point night and day is a fair analogy. Defenses were out to hurt quarterbacks every weekend, corners and safeties were expected to deliver bone crushing blind side hits and were permitted to contact receivers all over the field. You did not have to turn your head to break up an incoming pass and pass interference calls required an egregiousness that would in effect require an actual tackle of a receiver on a ball in mid air. And not a tangling of feet, mind you, but an actual and deliberate tackle.

Some of that Tom can’t fix but let’s agree for sake of history we’d like to see him get to that championship game; and that’s looking attainable.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 12:08PM

this is another example of tv talking head stupidity.

first 3 weeks brady is washed up then awesome for a few then washed up now MVP !!!!!

the same idiots wanted the patriots to lock up Cam Newton to a long term deal after week 2 :D , not hearing much of that right now but let him throw 3 TD's in a game and it will be Time to pay CAM :D

DId Y'all just see Rivers throw that TD? Rivers was washed up from week 3 - 9 cashed needed to retire , now "THE COLTS ARE FOR REAL!! " at least until the washed up (from week 12-15) steelers come back and win then rivers needs to be benched....................... obviously

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

Joe Montana switched conferences and lead the Kansas City Chiefs to the AFC title game.

Joe Montana played in a much more dangerous and defensive era of professional football, and I say that having actually watched the games. The defense used to be allowed to do a lot more to stop the pass and at this point night and day is a fair analogy. Defenses were out to hurt quarterbacks every weekend, corners and safeties were expected to deliver bone crushing blind side hits and were permitted to contact receivers all over the field. You did not have to turn your head to break up an incoming pass and pass interference calls required an egregiousness that would in effect require an actual tackle of a receiver on a ball in mid air. And not a tangling of feet, mind you, but an actual and deliberate tackle.

Some of that Tom can’t fix but let’s agree for sake of history we’d like to see him get to that championship game; and that’s looking attainable.

Excellent points.

I changed my mind, Even if Brady wins this season's Super Bowl by a score of 100-0, Joe Montana is still the GOAT. ;)

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

Joe Montana played in a much mre dangerous and defensive era of professional football, and I say that having actually watched the games. The defense used to be allowed to do a lot more to stop the pass and at this point night and day is a fair analogy. Defenses were out to hurt quarterbacks every weekend, corners and safeties were expected to deliver bone crushing blind side hits and were permitted to contact receivers all over the field. You did not have to turn your head to break up an incoming pass and pass interference calls required an egregiousness that would in effect require an actual tackle of a receiver on a ball in mid air. And not a tangling of feet, mind you, but an actual and deliberate tackle.

now, i sometimes hear montana was 4-0 in the super bowl. that is very impressive. however, the full story plays out the deeper we look. as a matter of degree, everyone would agree that it is better to make the playoffs than not. likewise, it is better to go deep into the playoffs than to go 1 and done. similarly, it is better to make it to the SB than not. I dont think anyone would disagree with those points. taking out his rookie year, 1991 and 1992, montana played 13 seasons. in 6 of those seasons, almost half, he either missed the playoffs or was 1 and done. not a good record. at all. he played in 7 nfc/afc championship games, losing 3.

Brady is 6-3 in the super bowl so far. 6>4. the 3 SB he made are greater than the 3 nfc/afc cg montana lost. isnt it better to lose in the SB than in the conference championship game? in Bradys 18 years ( not counting 2000 or 2008) he missed the playoffs or went 1 and done 4 times. a much better percentage than JM. he also made 11 championship games.

Brady has been significantly more successful in the playoffs and he is not done. in addition, he did it with much greater turnover than JM because he played during the free agency era.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

Joe Montana played in a much mre dangerous and defensive era of professional football, and I say that having actually watched the games. The defense used to be allowed to do a lot more to stop the pass and at this point night and day is a fair analogy. Defenses were out to hurt quarterbacks every weekend, corners and safeties were expected to deliver bone crushing blind side hits and were permitted to contact receivers all over the field. You did not have to turn your head to break up an incoming pass and pass interference calls required an egregiousness that would in effect require an actual tackle of a receiver on a ball in mid air. And not a tangling of feet, mind you, but an actual and deliberate tackle.

now, i sometimes hear montana was 4-0 in the super bowl. that is very impressive. however, the full story plays out the deeper we look. as a matter of degree, everyone would agree that it is better to make the playoffs than not. likewise, it is better to go deep into the playoffs than to go 1 and done. similarly, it is better to make it to the SB than not. I dont think anyone would disagree with those points. taking out his rookie year, 1991 and 1992, montana played 13 seasons. in 6 of those seasons, almost half, he either missed the playoffs or was 1 and done. not a good record. at all. he played in 7 nfc/afc championship games, losing 3.

Brady is 6-3 in the super bowl so far. 6>4. the 3 SB he made are greater than the 3 nfc/afc cg montana lost. isnt it better to lose in the SB than in the conference championship game? in Bradys 18 years ( not counting 2000 or 2008) he missed the playoffs or went 1 and done 4 times. a much better percentage than JM. he also made 11 championship games.

Brady has been significantly more successful in the playoffs and he is not done. in addition, he did it with much greater turnover than JM because he played during the free agency era.

I guess I’ll add in the two expansion teams in to the mix which diluted the league even further and the total dearth of talent in the AFC (seriously, the Colts - a defenseless team in almost every year they didn’t win - was the best or 2nd best team and occasionally a good Pitt or Denver team. Then look at the fact that three teams Joe played against every year (Bears, Giants, Redskins) are regarded as some of the greatest teams ever.

I’m not even going into the AFC East and how much their total incompetence played a role in the Patriot dynasty.

For crying out loud, Ryan Fitzpatrick was the best each franchise could do at QB for multiple seasons in that run.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest