Home Sports Talk
Options

So if Cam Newton has success this season and Tom Brady doesn't.....

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

i didn't see the Pats first game, but i watched last night. Cam looked like he was experiencing a renaissance out there. dude was outstanding. prior to the season i was worried about his ability to do anything effectively, but clearly there is a lot left in that arm and those legs of his. one pick, but overall he was super efficient with the football. his reads, his progressions, his accuracy...............i was very impressed. and on the ground he averages 4.7 a pop and has already had 4 house calls thru 2 weeks? that works.

if i'm a NE fan this season isn't nearly as dire as once thought. just gotta keep him healthy

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam played very well, I must admit

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

But it had nothing to do with Bill Belichick, right? 🙄

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admit when in february people were saying get Cam Newton I was like nope no way. I'm won over now he looks great out there

• Options

If Belichick can get Cam to keep his focus on football, and of course be lucky and stay injury free, then Newton may turn out to be the steal of the season.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wrong. Cam looked healthy. He looked rested. He looked like a starting NFL Quarterback that has a lot left and a lot to prove. Maybe the wise guys in Vegas know more than me. They might be closer to 8 wins than 5.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam looked great. I'm very excited about this year. I'm happy that the Patriots look competitive. Brady looked great. I absolutely do not see what @stevek is seeing.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Cam looked great. I'm very excited about this year. I'm happy that the Patriots look competitive. Brady looked great. I absolutely do not see what @stevek is seeing.

All i'm seeing with Brady is two straight games where he had a mediocre QB rating. And at 43 years old with a lot of wear on his body over the years, i would have to believe that overall Brady will regress as the season wears on.

We shall see.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 3:37AM

Gronk is getting slammed online pretty hard for having 11 receiving yards in two games. It's all over the internet. It's everywhere. It's all over the internet!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Gronk is getting slammed online pretty hard for having 11 receiving yards in two games. It's all over the internet. It's everywhere. It's all over the internet!

Brady should have retired and Gronk should have stayed retired.

I hope both of them are enjoying themselves now, because when they do finally retire and eventually age into their 50's, they may need a handful of painkillers each day just to be able to walk. They'll wish on their dear lives that they could trade some of that money and glory for a pair of functioning legs, and other body parts decimated by playing too much football for far too long.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I didn’t say that. But if Cam gets injured on his 390th rush for the season in Week 9 then will it or will it not have anything to do with Belichick?

• Options

TB brought more than a GOAT label with him to Tampa. He brought a winning attitude to a team desperate for something to feel good about.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

All i'm seeing with Brady is two straight games where he had a mediocre QB rating. And at 43 years old with a lot of wear on his body over the years, i would have to believe that overall Brady will regress as the season wears on.

We shall see.

no one cares about QB rating steve :D

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I didn’t say that. But if Cam gets injured on his 390th rush for the season in Week 9 then will it or will it not have anything to do with Belichick?

I would agree that Belichick using Cam as a runner as much as he has so far is a mistake. Cam has 26 rushes already in the first two games which considering his age and injury history, in my opinion is a bit reckless.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    TB brought more than a GOAT label with him to Tampa. He brought a winning attitude to a team desperate for something to feel good about.

I fully agree with that. Brady does seem to have the same winning attitude now that he's always had.

I have no idea what Brady plans on doing once he finally retires from playing football. But i think he would make for one heckuva head coach.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

We shall see.

no one cares about QB rating steve :D

The difference so far:

Cam Newton
    game one 100.7
    game two 94.6

Tom Brady
    game one 78.4
    game two 80.3

• Options
    edited September 23, 2020 3:21AM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

I would agree that Belichick using Cam as a runner as much as he has so far is a mistake. Cam has 26 rushes already in the first two games which considering his age and injury history, in my opinion is a bit reckless.

Yep, he has always been reckless. There is no denying that

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yep, he has always been reckless. There is no denying that

Yes, like keeping Brady in games when the Patriots were blowing out the other team. That never made a lick of sense to me.

Belichick got away with it for the most part with Brady. However Doug Pederson tried copying that strategy with Carson Wentz and didn't get away with it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I never understood why Belichick left Brady in there when the game was salted away. Was Brady afraid that the back-up guy would take job? What would you do if Brady got hurt? To me that was on aspect of the game were Brady was not a team player.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Yes, I never understood why Belichick left Brady in there when the game was salted away. Was Brady afraid that the back-up guy would take job? What would you do if Brady got hurt? To me that was on aspect of the game were Brady was not a team player.

It might have been just Bill being Bill. It wasn’t just Brady either, it was Gronk and other key players. Remember when Gronk got hurt on that stupid meaningless extra point late in the playoffs?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, Brady throws for three TDs and a 115.8 passer rating and its crickets in here today. B)

• Options

I admit I am thinking I was wrong about the Pats and Hoodie. They are playing much better offensively than I thought they would

• Options

Brady looked sharp 🏈😎

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Brady looked sharp 🏈😎

You know who he reminds me of?
    Tom Brady.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I admit I am thinking I was wrong about the Pats and Hoodie. They are playing much better offensively than I thought they would

It looks like it’s gonna be a Ground & Pound type of season and see where it takes them.

@perkdog said:
    Brady looked sharp 🏈😎

Gronk looked good as well, hopefully he gets into the end zone soon.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

brady looked great. starting to gel. have to figure in reality this is just the third preseason game

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2020 5:54PM

Brady will be just fine. I don't know who's behind all of this Brady's washed up talk, but it's just not true, he'll be fine, he's the GOAT. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish watching the Chihuahua-nator.

• Options

Tampa Bay takes a lot of penalties! seriously wow!

Also Cam Newton was nothing special Sunday

Both teams are 2-1 ? Next week the pats will be 2-2 and Tampa Bay will be 3-1

• Options

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS QBR RTG
    Tom Brady 22/38 209 5.5 0 3 3-23 3.8 40.4

Ooops, i tried to warn ya about the possibility of Brady with his aged 43 year old body, possibly declining in the second half of the season. And this was with the "great" Antonio Brown now on his team.

Credit where credit is due, Brady has had some excellent games this season. We shall see from here if he can bounce back from this putrid performance, or if he continues to degrade as the season wears on.

• Options

Brady had a historically bad game last night wow! I thought he would be extra motivated to beat Brees but that didn’t happen. Very suprising

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Brady was really showing his age last night. I went to bed on it at halftime with the score at 32 - love. It ended up 38 - 3 so it didn’t get any better.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

We all know not to give up on Brady after one game.

• Options

Despite the poor performance, it of course takes nothing at all away from the overall greatness of Tom Brady.

Let's tell it like it is...many if not most 43 year olds who have had long careers in the NFL and are retired, can barely walk properly, let alone try to go out there on Sunday and win NFL football games.

Frankly, an awful game such as this to a younger player would be a wakeup call to work harder and smarter. A game such as this to a 43 year old player should be a wakeup call to retire.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Despite the poor performance, it of course takes nothing at all away from the overall greatness of Tom Brady.

Let's tell it like it is...many if not most 43 year olds who have had long careers in the NFL and are retired, can barely walk properly, let alone try to go out there on Sunday and win NFL football games.

Frankly, an awful game such as this to a younger player would be a wakeup call to work harder and smarter. A game such as this to a 43 year old player should be a wakeup call to retire.

harsh words after one terrible game...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

i was trying to be complimentary...but also realistic at the same time.

If it sounded "harsh", well then that's the reality of the situation.

The NFL has always been a harsh league...Darwinism on display every Sunday IE survival of the fittest.

• Options

@stevek said:

I agree with your first two points, but I disagree with your last one.

• Options

Let’s see what is said if he bounces back next week and has 150+ QB rating with 300+ yards and 3 TD’s which is entirely possible

• Options

Wow. I guess Brady played all 11 positions on a defense that got torched for 38 last night? It was 14-0 before he put his helmet on. Anyone watch the Bills game? Wilson played all 11 on defense and he gave up 44. When you have to score every time you step on the field it’s a very hard game.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

i was trying to be complimentary...but also realistic at the same time.

If it sounded "harsh", well then that's the reality of the situation.

The NFL has always been a harsh league...Darwinism on display every Sunday IE survival of the fittest.

there is no forum evidence that you are realistic , exhibit A carson wentz

exhibit b ............................ well you know :D

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every player is entitled to a crappy game.

Godwin, Brown, Gronkowski - all still kicking off rust and Tom only has any real connection with Gronk. Everyone else, they’re still getting to know each other and the Saints are a well oiled machine and have been for years.

As someone who thinks the Pats made the right move and thought Brady could have a good year left, this clunker is forgotten and moved on from quickly.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Every player is entitled to a crappy game.

Godwin, Brown, Gronkowski - all still kicking off rust and Tom only has any real connection with Gronk. Everyone else, they’re still getting to know each other and the Saints are a well oiled machine and have been for years.

As someone who thinks the Pats made the right move and thought Brady could have a good year left, this clunker is forgotten and moved on from quickly.

You could very well turn out to be right.

I just think this past game by Brady will turn out to be an ominous sign, more than just an isolated crappy game.

We can debate how Brady may do the rest of the season. However what is not debatable is that nobody can beat father time...not even Tom Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Let’s see what is said if he bounces back next week and has 150+ QB rating with 300+ yards and 3 TD’s which is entirely possible

I don't disagree with ya.

However this past game was the start of the second half of the season, and it wasn't a very good one for Brady with a dreadful 40.4 QB rating.

I have no doubt that Brady will mentally rebound as he is fully capable of doing. However can he physically do it with a 43 year old body with a lot of miles on it?

We shall see.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I emphatically stated in the off season that Brady should have retired. Retiring after last season should have been a very easy call for him.

Yes, he's still a young guy in most all professions, but of course not in the NFL. In the NFL he's an old man whether he wishes to admit it or not. Brady doesn't seem willing to accept that fact.

Sure obviously he's got a lot of will to succeed, and that's good. But he should channel that adrenaline in business, politics, coaching, entertainment industry such as movies, or whatever, rather than continue to risk his health playing a dangerous game in which he has absolutely nothing left to prove.

• Options

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I emphatically stated in the off season that Brady should have retired. Retiring after last season should have been a very easy call for him.

Yes, he's still a young guy in most all professions, but of course not in the NFL. In the NFL he's an old man whether he wishes to admit it or not. Brady doesn't seem willing to accept that fact.

Sure obviously he's got a lot of will to succeed, and that's good. But he should channel that adrenaline in business, politics, coaching, entertainment industry such as movies, or whatever, rather than continue to risk his health playing a dangerous game in which he has absolutely nothing left to prove.

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I get your point. But I think that one of the reasons he got to be the best ever and is still playing at this age is the fact that he is the kind of person who kept things going when others thought he shouldn't. So to me I'm not surprised.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I get your point. But I think that one of the reasons he got to be the best ever and is still playing at this age is the fact that he is the kind of person who kept things going when others thought he shouldn't. So to me I'm not surprised.

I completely agree with ya.

Sadly if not probably, Brady may not quit playing until a permanent injury causes him to be carried off the field. Yes, that could happen to a high school football player, it's the nature of the game. However there is no doubt that at 43 years old, the chances of that happening are exponentially increased.

I didn't google it, but from my recollection there was a gentleman named John Kelly from Philly who was Grace Kelly's brother. I think it was at 58 years old, he was still trying to compete in grueling track marathon races. Well one day while rigorously training, he dropped dead of a heart attack.

Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I fear that Tom Brady may find out the hard way about this. For example if suddenly he gets a crippling knee injury which affects his ability to walk for the rest of his life, and it would have been so unnecessary.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2020 4:53PM

Interesting discussion going on here. If you ask me, Brady is still playing because he just flat out loves the game. That's just my opinion.

Edited to add: My opinions have been wrong before, but that doesn't make it right!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Interesting discussion going on here. If you ask me, Brady is still playing because he just flat out loves the game. That's just my opinion.

Edited to add: My opinions have been wrong before, but that doesn't make it right!

Not equating the two, but Evel Knievel busted up his body almost beyond belief over many years. Yet time and time again he continued to make those dangerous jumps on his motorcycle.

Perhaps Brady has a similar sort of mindset? The love of the game, the adrenaline rush thrill, the comradery with his teammates...whatever it is, I guess outweighs the possible injury factor in his mind.

In any event, I wish him well as I've stated a number of times that I'm a fan of his. Of course not as big a fan as some on here, but my view has always been how can any NFL fan not be a fan of Tom Brady, for a long list of reasons.

I just hope one day when he's fifty years old, he's not in a situation whereby he can't even walk up some stairs without a cane.

• Options

Well still a quarter season left to play, but so far the Belichick team at 6-6, coming off a magnificent 45-0 rout, is more impressive than the Brady team, loaded up with talent, that is 7-5, with only one more win than the Belichick team...as far as further proving who was the most important factor in the Belichick/Brady dynasty.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2020 9:59PM

@stevek said:
    Well still a quarter season left to play, but so far the Belichick team at 6-6, coming off a magnificent 45-0 rout, is more impressive than the Brady team, loaded up with talent, that is 7-5, with only one more win than the Belichick team...as far as further proving who was the most important factor in the Belichick/Brady dynasty.

Yup.

Looks like that about sums it up.

:*

Edit to add: No, I disagree. 😂

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I disagree - whether it’s looked like the Pats or the Bucs, there is little we can draw from this exercise.

Even if one team wins the Super Bowl this season, you wont know and you never will. And to be honest, they’re both small pieces in a larger puzzle. It was a symbiotic relationship created over a twenty year period that produced one of the great dynasties in sports history.

Not quite the Yankees, Canadians, Celtics or UCLA Bruins but right there on that next rung and probably the best football has ever seen.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest