Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's interested in the Basketball Hall of Fame commemorative coins on sale from the Mint June 4th.

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2020 6:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought the Baseball HOF coins were a cool novelty at the time.
I have a hard time getting under this commemorative Mint issue.
I'll be curious to see what others think.

$1 Silver Unc Obv

$1 Silver Unc Rev

$1 Silver Proof Obv

$1 Silver Proof Rev

$5 Gold Unc Obv

$5 Gold Unc Rev

$5 Gold Proof Obv

$5 Gold Proof Rev

Pricing......Clad Proof $39.....Unc Silver $64.....Proof Silver $69.....Gold not available

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-programs/commemorative-coins/

Comments

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBA fan here. I will probably get a couple silver for gifts. Maybe a gold proof to keep.

The obverse isn't the most attractive design in the world, but nobody is buying it for the obverse.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be obtaining several for my grand kids, who are ardent basketball fans. Personally, I like the design, and may pick up a colorized version when it comes out.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be getting one for me and one for my son in the avatar pic.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern commemoratives are a guilty pleasure of mine so I’ll be adding a silver proof to my collection.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the people that collet the modern commemoratives in albums; do you just skip the ones that aren’t flat?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't care for it.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

How tall is your son?
    Where does he play?

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Not quite as nice as the Baseball HoF or moon landing ones, but I do like the curved coins. Being a cheapskate, I'll get the clad proof and uncirculated halves

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be purchasing for numerous graduation gifts...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    More junk for the flippers. Not a big fan of the "crank out the product" US Mint of today.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

It has to sell out to be flippable...

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

If these gets spots on them, does that make them technical fouls?

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to collect the modern commems religiously as they came out and had all of 'em from Washington in 1982 forward.

However, I began attending New Mint Coins Anonymous meetings a couple of years ago. I've been Modern Commem free for two years (I just got my chip), and sold all of them on Ebay.

(Full disclosure: I made money).

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass, foul, and a travel on this one.

I cannot get over the reverse where the ball looks to be almost as large as the rim. In reality, the ball is about half the diameter of the rim. I cannot unsee that now.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me.
    Now now and not ever.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Not for me, but I know some will go nuts for it. As nuts as they do for long-awaited Air Jordan releases? Probably not.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass as well. I'm in a 12 step program as well and learned how to avoid it

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest.

I used to keep up with the modern commemoratives, but you usually take a financial beating when you buy them directly from the mint. If you really want them, you wait a few years, and buy them in the secondary market.

I actually have “paper profits” on the sets I bought that way, but the gains have been from the increase in the price of gold, not from numismatic interest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may get the half and dollar.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh. Haven't bought any mint product in years and this issue won't break the trend.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not me.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The baseball commem was unusual, the Apollo was historic, and (to me) the basketball is just another contrived novelty.

I might pick up a lower end version or two, or not. Who knows.

P.S. - I thought these were supposed to be colorized (not a good thing, as far as I am concerned).

FWIW - for these sorts of commems, I particularly like the appearance of the clad unc halves.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just asked my 11 year-old son - he says: "that's a Fail".
    There you have it, from the mouth of babes....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

No for me too, but I liked the Apollo 11 coins.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seen worse designs, however no interest to me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me- and sports bore me to death- but I will admit that those coins are somewhat appealing, at least in a modern commemorative sense. I wouldn't buy one for my collection, but speaking generally, I don't totally hate them, either.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like nonsense !

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

The enhanced uncirculated kid's set interests me. Isn't this going to be the first finish change in the commemorative program? Regardless, it is overpriced @ $45 and I think 75,000 is way too many of them. I have 2 young grandkids so I'll still get a few of them. Just got to wait till Sept for them to ship! :D

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    For the people that collet the modern commemoratives in albums; do you just skip the ones that aren’t flat?

That’s a great question. I have not yet cross that bridge but I assume my Dansco will not accommodate them happily. I will probably just OGP the HOF, Apollo and these.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

The most recent crop of uncirculated half dollars have barely sold more than 10,000 coins and there there’s no money to be made and the aftermarket.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy a gold one for the basketball design but that's about it. It'd have to be a big one and below melt tho, maybe.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will have to get a half and a dollar to keep my sets current,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love coins. I love basketball! My son plays basketball and I have been a basketball dad for 13 years now....year round.

That said, for **multiple **reasons, I will NOT be going after one of these commem coins.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

So is there a soccer ball coin,,,, tennis ball coin, ping pong ball coin,,, and any other ball coins coming next?

I want a beer pong coin,,,,,,

• Options

We already had coins with soccer, baseball and Tennis from the 90s..

Knowing more about FIFA now I wish they had never done a World Cup coin. 🤢

• Options

@kiyote said:
    We already had coins with soccer, baseball and Tennis from the 90s..

Knowing more about FIFA now I wish they had never done a World Cup coin. 🤢

Not curved ones,,,,,,,,,

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

Who said he couldn't jump,,,,,

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest in any modern mint products.

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

New coin collector here: What about the kids set? It has a different finish and is limited to 75K. The finish is Enhanced Uncirculated, is this set wroth getting?

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

While there was a time when I lived for the game, going to have to pass on this one....

• Options

@Nascar360 said:
    New coin collector here: What about the kids set? It has a different finish and is limited to 75K. The finish is Enhanced Uncirculated, is this set wroth getting?

One of last year’s uncirculated half dollar, the American Legion half, barely had a mintage over 11,000. That said, popularity will determine aftermarket prices as well. It could sell out in no time.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest here - hard to stack.

Vplite99

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file