Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there Numismatic terms which don't make sense or drive you crazy??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my wife is working at home right now for the VA, takes calls from Veterans that can sometimes make her crazy. I hear her in the background trying to answer questions and explain the sometimes un-understandable!! While I was looking at some Heritage lots I heard her use the term "cut the check" and it made me think of terms we use in everyday life which are sort of stupid, outdated or redundant. Three that really get me:
--- "cut" the check.
--- write it off.
--- Pin number or VIN number(the "N" actually stands for number, DUH).

So anyway, I wondered who would volunteer some Hobby related Numismatic terms that are similar and make you sort of crazy. I'll start with an old school term that comes up, especially in catalogues --- flan. I know what it means but there are other more modern terms so it gets under my skin when I see it used. What's yours?? B)

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to get good flan, you have to go to a Mexican restaurant!

It bothers me that many people cannot learn the difference between "rim" and "edge." The terms are OK, but they confuse people.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

The shiniest (cleaned ) coin is sometimes the most worthless coin.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Fresh"...Is near the top of my list & the other one that means the opposite.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crusty. Sounds bad, but generally means good.

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

How about "lamination" (de) and "sintered". Then there is always "first strike".

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it irritating when a coin collector says penny when it's actually a cent. I know it's slang term to say penny and I know it won't go away but it still irritates me. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dentuck said:

I actually have a problem with that quote. Every planchet already has an upset rim and is, in fact, the defining quality of such a piece. Before a planchet goes into the upsetting machine it is technically a "blank."

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes there are Keets. However, I am no longer driven to the crazy status for things for which I have no control regardless as to how those terms... Concepts... Whatever... have failed to withstand the test of time and what truly matters.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mis-print. I wasn't aware they "printed" coins. :D

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calls to the shop: "Whut are buffalo nickels WURF?"

• Options
    DCAMDCAM Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

VIN is like ATM Machine (M stands for machine) but no one will ask where the AT machine is.

Buy More Coins!!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Back of bid."

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Unsearched". Not really a numismatic term, an eBay scam. Also "estate" or "old safe" scams.

Vplite99
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes....The term "Moon Money" However, I got over it...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@56morgan listed the same two that bother me....'lamination' and 'sintered'....If the coin has a separation between two layers, it is a 'DE-lamination'.....and 'sintered'....Usually applied to a dark coin....Sintering is to bring about agglomeration in (metal particles) by heating.....So both are widely used, but totally incorrect. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Handling marks” in auction descriptions.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

tarnished..... ;):)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Monster has always made me wince as it’s so overused

m

I much prefer epic

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 to Tom B re "cabinet friction."
    "Market acceptable" - I've seen too many pre 1815 coins that can fit this description.
    "Net grading."
    +1 to Mark re 'monster.'

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS BU89?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Lamination".

If there is peeling evident, then it is a "delamination" not a "lamination".

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    "Cabinet friction"

Please; it either has rub or it doesn't.

No, it's a totally legitimate term.

This Alabama Half is BU with some cabinet friction.

It's just that the cabinet got opened a helluva lot of times :)

Actually BU, which stands for Brilliant Uncirculated, is one of the very few that annoyed me.

Aside from overgrading, how does an Unc brown copper qualify as brilliant or heavily toned Unc silver anything close to brilliant.

In the raw days, ads and auction catalogs were full of such contradictions. Seems it is not used that way so much anymore.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

You find this in eBay ads all the time:
    Near PL or Near DMPL.

There’s also an eBay seller of Jefferson nickels who offers “4 full steps.”

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

The term "rattler" has a much older meaning.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Just a recent thing, but when someone says, “Printed” instead of “Minted” I hear a lot of guys on YouTube using this

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

NewP. Why does that exist? Sounds silly.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Don't really care for the term "Widget".

I'm just a common guy............

Pete

Ahhh man, I’m a fan of that particular one. lol

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gemmy" and Poor mans doubled Die. - Gag me with a spoon!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Printed ads in periodicals:"Prices subject to change". Usually it allows dealers to raise the price, rarely to lower it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@TomB said:
    "Cabinet friction"

Please; it either has rub or it doesn't.

I believe "friction" is just another word for rub. So "cabinet friction" describes an AU coin missing its original surface.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Piefort

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exergue

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    "Double die." It's doubleD die.

Someone here on the forum called me out on this one some 18 months ago or so, not really a term that bugs me, but the recent posts showing a 100 pictures of the same area of the same coin, one or two should suffice

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 12:06AM

I hate the term “original” typically used to describe coins that have not been cleaned or messed with but generally do not look like they did originally as in when they left the mint.

image Respectfully, Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file