Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there Numismatic terms which don't make sense or drive you crazy??

124»

Comments

• CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@CoinCast said:
    NewP. Why does that exist? Sounds silly.

For the new collectors here, a "newp" is short hand for a new purchase. Like many pursuits, coin collecting and dealing has its own lingo. Dealers and collectors frequently ask other dealers if they have any "newps" in the hopes of getting "first shot" in the hopes that the dealer will "flip it" which is coin lingo for a quick resell for a modest profit.

I just always thought it sounded unprofessional and abbreviated a phrase no one ever needed to shorten. New Items, New Coins, Fresh Purchases seems better.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder when the last time was that the NFL actually has a "COIN TOSS" to begin a game??

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

"SPLUNGE!"

Used to reference a precipitous collapse in the precious metals markets.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Unsearched roll". :-{

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

"Fresh Holders" as if they were produce!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I wonder when the last time was that the NFL actually has a "COIN TOSS" to begin a game??

Maybe someday they will use a "Bitcoin" or a Fiat "coin".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Original Red" "RD"

It ain't Red. An original copper coin is not Red. You can call it Orangey, you can call it Salmony, you can call it Coppery, but you doesn't have to call it RD. A RD coin that is Red is not 95% original surfaces, it is toned.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file