Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

May 2020 pickups - show em!

Comments

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

These arrived yesterday. These are the stock images since they look better than the ones I took quickly with my phone. These Project 2020 cards range from horrifying to great, but I plan to collect all 20 Donnie Baseball and make some sort of fine art type display.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 9:27PM

$18 delivered & never touched? Sure. Why not!

• Options

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few Phillies that aren't yelling

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Beautiful card! One of my favorite Mantles, and it is probably the most attractive Mantle card. I have one with Mantle's autograph on the back, and got it graded by SGC several years ago when PSA wouldn't grade them.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, the Mantle Post is incredible, that's one of the iconic issues of the era for sure. Congratulations!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Post Mantle is sweet! I've never seen it before.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020 8:16AM

@judgebuck
    @Kid4hof03
    @doubledragon

Thanks a lot, David, Abe and Jason!

Taken separately, to me, it seems that the different elements shouldn’t work together but for whatever reason, it really works.

Imagine that pitch over the phone?

“So it’s going to have Mickey Mantle against a pink background and we’re going with a faux wood grain border, - thick - with a gold nameplate and a facsimile signature. Yes...no...yeah, on the back of the box. No, I’m not smoking anything...”

:D

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

One for the HOF rookie collection, and one for speculation that it'll join that collection:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@Coarsegold said:

Added this to my boys HOF RC Collection

Great, underrated card! Normally there's edge wear on those 1996 SPs but yours looks super clean. Why do you suppose 9 and not 10?

• Options

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:

@Coarsegold said:

Great, underrated card! Normally there's edge wear on those 1996 SPs but yours looks super clean. Why do you suppose 9 and not 10?

Thanks! Card has a minor surface issue on the back.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Sam Cunningham rack!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 - Woot Woot!!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    KILLER 1976 Football rack back from BBCE wrapping!! If you're a Steeler Fan or just a fan of football, this is a DREAM rack!! Oh, and a 3rd HOF'er on the back by the name of Charley Taylor!

The "like" button doesn't seem like enough for this pack, absolutely incredible, and I'm a Cowboys fan.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 - thanks!! I'm a Packer fan now and have been for quite some time but as a kid I was all in on the Cowboys.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:

@Coarsegold said:

PSA does not give out many Sp RC 10s from 93-96

Here is my Owens from a self sub from last year I think.

96’s are brutal

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another for my 87 set.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

UFFDAH your stuff is amazing! I tried to friend you through that Facebook group.

@UFFDAH said:
    A recent pickup for my Jordan run.

• Options
    Billyk97Billyk97 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 - thanks!! I'm a Packer fan now and have been for quite some time but as a kid I was all in on the Cowboys.

You definitely chose the right team in the end :D

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020 11:41PM

Snagged this from a buddy of mine for way below comps to match my PSA 9 Refractor...

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd collected a few in person autographs back in grade school, when the "Royals Caravan" would travel through the small Missouri towns right before spring training, with players making appearances at the local lumber yard or sporting goods stores, while the local radio stations did on site broadcasting and interviews to get people hyped for the upcoming season. Most often, it was either the young and upcoming players, or the bench players and back of the bullpen guys. Even as a kid, I quickly grew tired of spending hours of my time waiting for an autograph of a guy that may not even be on the team by June. Autographs soon fell out of favor with me, especially as I grew into a more "serious collector". Cards were meant to be kept in "mint" condition, and autographs essentially ruined the cards by marking them up.

Fast forward to 2012, and the All-Star Game Fanfest was here in Kansas City. The biggest stars, not just Royals players, but in all of baseball, past and present, were there, signing autographs mostly for free, and even as an adult, you couldn't do or say anything to get me to stand in line for that. I can't overstate my previous aversion to autographed memorabilia.

Up until this point, I'd mostly stayed with collecting vintage and the junk wax of my youth. I started wading more and more into the modern stuff probably around 2016. I'd get a pack pulled autograph of some nobody from a team I didn't follow, or some ridiculous manufactured patch card or jersey relic that I despised. It wasn't until I pulled a Mike Trout red ink auto #/25 out of a Heritage blaster that I finally started to come around. I quickly sold that card, though, and long story short, those funds allowed me to purchase maybe 2 percent of a Royals super fan's collection when it was dispersed at an estate sale auction. He had an absolutely ridiculous collection of memorabilia, and my personal focus was on mostly the non autographed items, but there were countless autographs and relics that just came along for the ride within the various lots that I was fortunate to win from the auction (of which I've shared pics of in other threads). These items soon found a spot on display in my card room. So, while I'm still not all in on the idea of autograph collecting, I have been picking up some Royals items here and there to round out and fill some holes in my display.

This last photo, with all the recent hype for Canseco cards, I couldn't pass it up when I found it in the "bargain box" at the LCS. For just a couple dollars, why not? Takes me right back to the late 80s and that feeling I'd get from handling one right out of a pack or seeing a stack of them at a card show.

Greg Pryor did an in store signing awhile back, and the owner of the LCS, knowing my recent hunt for Royals autos, threw this one in for free with my purchase. That card takes me right back to that feeling that I had waiting in line at the lumber yard! Haha! (Sorry, Greg...)

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got these today. I have a rookie card coming I can't wait to show.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got these in today. The Baines will have to go to PSA whenever I send more cards to be reholdered because there seems to be a string or something inside the case on the bottom right between the card and the holder.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@Coarsegold said:

Great, underrated card! Normally there's edge wear on those 1996 SPs but yours looks super clean. Why do you suppose 9 and not 10?> @rexvos said:

@thehallmark said:

@Coarsegold said:

PSA does not give out many Sp RC 10s from 93-96

Here is my Owens from a self sub from last year I think.

96’s are brutal

That's a bummer. I have a Marvin Harrison all packed up and ready to go the next bulk order. I guess I'll temper my expectations for that one.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Got these in today. The Baines will have to go to PSA whenever I send more cards to be reholdered because there seems to be a string or something inside the case on the bottom right between the card and the holder.

you really have been getting some really great cards lately.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/gc/76sg2loavodj.jpg ""
    waited three weeks in the mail for this card but I finally got it.

• Options

Tim, I've never seen that 1969 team issue before, do you have pictures of any of the others? Very cool.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020 6:52AM

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Tim, I've never seen that 1969 team issue before, do you have pictures of any of the others? Very cool.

This is the Munson - but it’s not mine.

Edited to add:
    I know they came in hanger packs with a reddish color and black font topper with the photos below that label in cellophane; six to a pack with names of the players inside on the packaging. Like many of these items of the era (Jay Publishing, Team Issues and Phot/Picture Packs, Sports Service, All Star Packs) it was probably a multi-year issuance without much to differentiate one year from another aside from having the full unopened pack.

The date of 1969 is a result of my amateur detective work and general knowledge of Yankees ephemera. I don’t consider myself an ‘expert’ - at all - but rather a curious Mickey Mantle fan who likes looking for information on old baseball cards.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last of the autos......for now.