Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please Post A Nice Coin In A PCGS OGH (Old Green Label Holder, No Rattlers)

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:

Lovely! Pic of the slab?

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this 2*4 Missouri from a poster here on eBay. It had been cracked out and arrived in a Coin World slab with the original OGH label (PCGS VF30) accompanying the coin - perfect for my Dansco 7094. The PCGS certification number checked out but there's no picture available for it. While a nice coin, I question its originality as I prefer a more crusty, 'original' appearance with contrasting two-tone or circ cameo toning like the PCGS VF30 (no 24 star) Missouri below.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased my first OGH, so I can’t wait to post once it arrives! I can finally contribute! :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 10:54AM

@TomB said:
    If you were the immediate underbidder on that 1909-S then you really didn't bid all that much over MS64/CAC money for the coin based upon the most recent auction data. Regardless, the winner appears to have secured a nice coin. Had you seen it in-hand? I ask because I am wondering what PCGS might have been thinking with respect to the original grade (if there are slight hairlines, dullish luster, whatever...).

Interesting. The coin went for about $1900 which is roughly CAC MS65 (as listed on their website). I had considered this coin myself but since I couldn't see it in hand I couldn't take plunge. I wonder now whether GC is allowing viewing. Since I live about 5 miles from them I've done it in the past but now...I don't know. I was lazy and didn't ask this time...

As to the gold sticker: yeah, they seem to be rare but all that says is, according to CAC, PCGS rarely under-grades a Barber quarter. I'm not sure why that makes people bid more there it is....

jom

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jom said:

@TomB said:
    If you were the immediate underbidder on that 1909-S then you really didn't bid all that much over MS64/CAC money for the coin based upon the most recent auction data. Regardless, the winner appears to have secured a nice coin. Had you seen it in-hand? I ask because I am wondering what PCGS might have been thinking with respect to the original grade (if there are slight hairlines, dullish luster, whatever...).

Interesting. The coin went for about $1900 which is roughly CAC MS65 (as listed on their website). I had considered this coin myself but since I couldn't see it in hand I couldn't take plunge. I wonder now whether GC is allowing viewing. Since I live about 5 miles from them I've done it in the past but now...I don't know. I was lazy and didn't ask this time...

As to the gold sticker: yeah, they seem to be rare but all that says is, according to CAC, PCGS rarely under-grades a Barber quarter. I'm not sure why that makes people bid more there it is....

The coin realized $2,075 after buyer's fee (~$50 less if paid by cash equivalent). Apparently, the price guides are a bit low on Barber coinage, per comments from those in the know here on the forum. That coin certainly looked at least MS64 to me (from the photos), and possibly better. In retrospect, I'd probably bid somewhat higher if given a second chance, but it's far from certain that increasing my bid on the order of 10% would have won the coin anyway.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@jom said:

@TomB said:

The coin realized $2,075 after buyer's fee (~$50 less if paid by cash equivalent). Apparently, the price guides are a bit low on Barber coinage, per comments from those in the know here on the forum. That coin certainly looked at least MS64 to me (from the photos), and possibly better. In retrospect, I'd probably bid somewhat higher if given a second chance, but it's far from certain that increasing my bid on the order of 10% would have won the coin anyway.

Well, whatever the case it looked like a great coin. I wish you had won it...then we could discuss once you got it in hand.

jom

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foot tapping....patiently waiting for new contributors......

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

All very nice coins in OGH's. Are there any premiums to the coins if they are in OGH's?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    All very nice coins in OGH's. Are there any premiums to the coins if they are in OGH's?

I'm somewhat surprised you might ask that question as you have been around these boards a bit and have been quite active and consistently contributed to discussions. Regardless, it may just be my perception of what might or should be more commonly known since I have been around for decades and have lived through cycles, fads and TPG generations.

The OGH was retired 22-years ago and during much of its time in use the grading standards at the TPGs were just a hair tighter than they have been since and that has long led to the perception that a coin in an OGH may be conservatively graded. This perception has led to coins in OGHs to be regraded en masse and as the OGH has become more scarce, the desire to add one, two or a few to a collection has grown among many collectors.

So, are there premiums attached to coins in OGHs? Sometimes, but sometimes it is just liquidity that is attached and liquidity can certainly be of value.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

@Kliao said:

I'm somewhat surprised you might ask that question as you have been around these boards a bit and have been quite active and consistently contributed to discussions. Regardless, it may just be my perception of what might or should be more commonly known since I have been around for decades and have lived through cycles, fads and TPG generations.

The OGH was retired 22-years ago and during much of its time in use the grading standards at the TPGs were just a hair tighter than they have been since and that has long led to the perception that a coin in an OGH may be conservatively graded. This perception has led to coins in OGHs to be regraded en masse and as the OGH has become more scarce, the desire to add one, two or a few to a collection has grown among many collectors.

So, are there premiums attached to coins in OGHs? Sometimes, but sometimes it is just liquidity that is attached and liquidity can certainly be of value.

Great Info! Looking at PCGS's Museum of coin holders, there seem to be 4 different generations with green labels, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0, 3.1. Are all these considered OGH's?

I have been on the boards for just over a year and started getting into this when I was 7-8 years old. I could have come across something that could have answered my question but might have forgot or just didn't come across it as I am 15 now and need to focus on school also.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2020 9:47AM

@Kliao said:

@TomB said:

@Kliao said:

Great Info! Looking at PCGS's Museum of coin holders, there seem to be 4 different generations with green labels, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0, 3.1. Are all these considered OGH's?

I have been on the boards for just over a year and started getting into this when I was 7-8 years old. I could have come across something that could have answered my question but might have forgot or just didn't come across it as I am 15 now and need to focus on school also.

Please see my first post in the thread. To some people, OGH stands for "older generation holder" and can include almost anything. For the purposes of this thread, I was mainly interested in generation 3.X holders, but expanded it to include 2.X, including doilies.

EDIT: Most of the rattler (gen 1.X) holders also have green labels. A rare subset have white labels.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@Kliao said:

@TomB said:

@Kliao said:

Please see my first post in the thread. To some people, OGH stands for "older generation holder" and can include almost anything. For the purposes of this thread, I was mainly interested in generation 3.X holders, but expanded it to include 2.X, including doilies.

Oh. I thought OGH stands for 'old green holder' :D .This is a very nice thread and hope it keeps going.

• Options

Heck, I think of OGH as "old green holder" myself, but other think "older generation holder" or even "original generation holder". It's all good and largely overlaps.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Heck, I think of OGH as "old green holder" myself, but other think "older generation holder" or even "original generation holder". It's all good and largely overlaps.

For me, it stands for "old green holder" as well, and I really only covet generation 3.X in terms of what I collect. Was just pointing out that there is a fair amount of ambiguity depending on the context and the individual.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@TomB said:

For me, it stands for "old green holder" as well, and I really only covet generation 3.X in terms of what I collect. Was just pointing out that there is a fair amount of ambiguity depending on the context and the individual.

It's interesting and refreshing, though not entirely surprising, to read that you really enjoy the 3.X generation holders. Most folks seem to go nuts for the easily recognized rattlers, doilies or regencies and the OGH can sometimes take a backseat. For me, I find that the grading standards employed in the generation 2.X and 3.X holders matched most consistently with how I graded when they were in use and how I expect I still grade. Therefore, I am a big fan of these later holders, as well.

• Options

@TomB stop holding back on posting pics to this thread! :)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recent purchase. Not my picture.

Ken
  • Options

@kauwisc said:
    I've owned this one since 12/30/07. Purchased in a Heritage auction:

Mark Goodman image.

Wow!!!!!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree! 😍 we would not be
    able to see such wonderful coins!
    Maybe I have not posted this one before. (I had plenty before they got stolen, even had all kinds) now I have mostly Morgan's 🙂.

Ken
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file