Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please Post A Nice Coin In A PCGS OGH (Old Green Label Holder, No Rattlers)

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Folks, just a friendly reminder:

This is not a rattler thread.

Thank you.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2020 6:49AM

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@TomB Super sharp Indian eagle, especially for a 64! That's also my favorite design on a US gold coin, along with the 1795 $10.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB

Do you have a photo of the cast? Love to see it.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the skin of that one Tom. Can’t agree that’s a 64!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Morgan dollars are ruling the day!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Ken
  • Options

@BryceM , For an MS63 Morgan, that's about as nice and clean as I can recall seeing!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, maybe it is a 65 if resubmitted, but I don't intend to do so.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@TomB said:
    These Morgan dollars are ruling the day!

All I have is Morgans! 😮

Ken
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I perused the entire thread there was one thing that struck me with the coins that were posted. There were very few that had the bold rainbow toning that you see nowadays in coins. It doesn't have to be rainbow but any coin with bold blue, pink, orange, etc. I mean there were some Morgan's and such but not many. The toning that was seen was more subtle and pastel-like. Just an observation from reviewing the "old-green-holder" thread.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Additionally, many coins that we see today in PCGS and/or NGC holders that have vivid and/or bold colors are (to my experienced eye) altered to look that way. In my opinion, the line-in-the-sand that the TPGs have taken with respect to toning is far more lenient with what we term "market acceptable" than what my eyes and my gut tell me after decades in the hobby-industry. Regardless of what the TPGs might say about those coins, and what folks might pay for those coins, I typically stay away from them.

This was my first reaction when I posted my comment.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2020 4:31PM

@david3142 said:
    Here’s another Morgan that I really like. The reverse is strongly PL but the obverse doesn’t make it. It’s also really clean for the grade.

Think I saw this coin on eBay......I almost bought it!! GREAT semi-key!! I have an 1885 S that would make a GREAT companion piece:

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@david3142 said:
    Here’s another Morgan that I really like. The reverse is strongly PL but the obverse doesn’t make it. It’s also really clean for the grade.

Think I saw this coin on eBay......I almost bought it!! GREAT semi-key!! I have an 1885 CC that would make a GREAT companion piece:

Very nice 85-CC! Looks better than a 63 to me. My coin came from Stacks about 3-4 years ago but it could have been on eBay before that.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2020 11:52AM

@david3142 said:
    Very nice 85-CC! Looks better than a 63 to me. My coin came from Stacks about 3-4 years ago but it could have been on eBay before that.

Thanks! I paid a premium for it, b/c it looked at least 64, and because of the OGH/green bean combo. Everyone I show it to thinks it's undergraded. I'll never crack it on my watch, as I love OGH holders, especially when they're beaned. <3 I think that the coin I saw on eBay was different, as yours is much more prooflike.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like an 1885-S to me, rather than an 1885-CC as the two of you suggest, but my eyes are old!!!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2020 12:46PM

@TomB. Whoops. Yes it is. I just went with WalkerFan’s comment and forgot to check the mintmark.

• Options

@TomB & @david3142 I don't know WHY I said CC...….Must have CCs on the brain!! LOL My 1885 is an S just like David's 1886!! LOL That's the whole reason I posted it!! I am losing it!!! :D

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb Take a quick look at the awesome linked collection here: https://collectivecoin.com/Gemtone65/Ag8PtrlxwLBnRDnAa6SY

These are not my coins, but I’ve often admired them. There are many wildly toned examples in OGH and concurrent NGC holders. It’s a very cool group and I wonder if the owner would be willing to post any here? @gemtone65

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file