Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Charlotte coins more special than Dahlonega issues?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to my brain, where random thoughts come along all day. This is one that recently popped into my head for no reason. Charlotte and Dahlonega issues are both on the rarer side (not necessarily rare, but tougher and more expensive than their P/S/O/CC counterparts). The basis of my question lies with the mintmark. If you want a coin with a C, your only option is Charlotte (or Carson City with a conveniently filled die). On the other hand, if you want a D, you can get a Dahlonega, but if you're willing to get a later issue, Denver comes to the rescue.

This question comes without any research on my part as to relative rarity or value of Charlotte and Dahlonega coins, but just seemed like an interesting thing to think about. I don't have an example of either, but once I started thinking about this, getting something from Charlotte seemed more interesting (though Dahlonega is way more fun to say).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

A superb allure to both, but I think there seems to be a special coveting of Charlotte issues. Not sure why, but either tweaks my sense of history . . .

Drunner
    (RF-4/C) :-)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know what you mean. The allure is partly for the single C since the D can be both mints. Still, southern gold! Maybe when these uncertain times blow past I’ll splurge and buy one of each.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to like Charlotte issues. Too bad they were poorly struck as a general rule.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much equal to me, as I bought one of each from RYK a few years back when he was exiting out of a lot of his collection.

I do like the "C" for the reasons stated, however, gold with a "D" is kind of cool too......

Of course, with all the stock stuff hitting and my kid starting college (hopefully) this fall, I may not hold onto them much longer....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Pretty much equal to me, as I bought one of each from RYK a few years back when he was exiting out of a lot of his collection.

I do like the "C" for the reasons stated, however, gold with a "D" is kind of cool too......

Of course, with all the stock stuff hitting and my kid starting college (hopefully) this fall, I may not hold onto them much longer....

Once you decide to sell, send me a PM. Who knows, I might be in the market. I live in SC, neighbor to both GA and NC, but have no southern gold.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020 10:17PM

With Charlotte, people never ask why a Southern Gold collector has Denver mint mark coins.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them both, but the market demand seems to be stronger for Dahlonega. This apparently wasn’t always the case. Doug Winter has interesting thoughts on the subject. Compare prices and relative rarity for the 1838-C and D issues and the Dahlonega popularity is readily apparent. The 1838-C should be much more valuable from a rarity standpoint.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never owned one of either, but always felt Dahlonega has a bit more cachet.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    With Charlotte, people never ask why a Southern Gold collector has Denver mint mark coins.

I can't imagine anyone who knows what a mintmark is would ask this question.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

I can't imagine anyone who knows what a mintmark is would ask this question.

Think PDS moderns collectors.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market for Dahlonega coins is much deeper than for Charlotte

Check it out though, New Orleans $5’s are generally rarer date for date than either C or D but NO lacks the headliner 1861 issue.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both, but since I now live in NC, Charlotte gets the nod.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    Charlotte for me... all day. It's a North Carolina thing.

Too bad the mint museum is a modern art gallery, though. It would be so much cooler if they had more than the small display of coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them both.... they both have history and the allure of scarcity. From a collectors viewpoint, that is a great combination. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bias because I am a collector of Dahlonega gold (my primary focus.). For me, the name is a reminder of the mountain trails and trout streams I frequented when I lived in Atlanta.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some new and some old references to the sources of the Charlotte and Dahlonega gold.

You can view the US Mint report of the purchases of gold at the various mints...

For example:
    http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/lib/us/cis/28-2/hed99.html

Sir: I have the honor to lay before you the following report of the operations of the mint and branch mints, during the fiscal year.

The coinage at the principal mint amounted to $2,843,457; comprising $1,782,420 in gold, $1,037,050 in silver, and $23,987 in copper coins, and composed of 5,461,967 pieces. The deposites of gold, within the year, amounted to $1,732,811; and those of silver to $1,015,564.

At the New Orleans branch mint, the coinage amounted to $4,208,500; comprising $3,010,000 in gold, and $1,198,500 in silver coins, and composed of 3,448,300 pieces. The deposites for coinage amounted to $3,003,176 in gold, and $1,259,928 in silver.

The branch mint at Dahlonega received, during the year, deposites of gold to the value of $479,794, and its coinage amounted to $488,600; composed of 88,982 half-eagles and 17,332 quarter-eagles.

The branch mint at Charlotte had received deposites of gold to the value of $167,348, and executed coinage to the amount of $147,210; when, on the 27th of July, the operations were arrested by the occurrence of a fire, which destroyed the mint building, and a great part of the machinery.

Also

Old history: https://memory.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2013/20131126001go/20131126001go.pdf
    New history: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2207452?seq=1
    New geology: https://pubs.usgs.gov/info/ayuso1/

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Charlotte. It’s easier for me to pronounce

m

As I

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I once saw a Carson City Morgan dollar, struck from a reverse die that had some grease in the mint mark area. It only had one 'C'.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Charlotte. It’s easier for me to pronounce

m

Plus you can always watch "Hush, Hush SWEET Charlotte. " >:)

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Winchester1873 said:

I thought this thread needed a photo. Here’s a NEWP I bought this weekend from one of my trusted dealers across the country via email. 1854-D $1 PCGS AU58.

Got Charlotte photos???

Sweet gold dollar from Denver!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2020 11:35AM

@Winchester1873 said:

I thought this thread needed a photo. Here’s a NEWP I bought this weekend from one of my trusted dealers across the country via email. 1854-D $1 PCGS AU58.

Got Charlotte photos???

I was hoping someone would post aCharlotte or Dhalonega mint coin to the thread.

Now, where is @ElmerFusterpuck ?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 38-D was found in a house in New Hampshire if I recall

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see them as roughly equal in overall "coolness". On average, the C-coins seem to be a little harder to come by, but they also have more problems.

So, after having considered it carefully, I'd get some of both.

:)

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question! I think they are both great and I appreciate what ya all have to say. One day, if I get the notion, I’ll have to step up for one of each.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Charlotte gold, I'm in NC, about 2 or 3 hours from Charlotte.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    My first Charlotte example from several weeks ago:
    PCGS XF45

It makes for a very interesting pursuit. Here’s hoping you can find more beauties like that!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:

@asheland said:
    My first Charlotte example from several weeks ago:
    PCGS XF45

It makes for a very interesting pursuit. Here’s hoping you can find more beauties like that!

Thank you! :)
    At very least, I’d like a dollar and $5...

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love them all, C, D (Dahlonega), S and O in early gold. But I always collected these for quality - and minimal intentional human intervention on their surfaces. That was my first priority, then the mint mark was secondary.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    My poor mans Dahlonega

Here’s mine.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I got a picture to post.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only Dahlonega mints I have owned were a pair (1846-D, 52-D) that I picked up at a country auction years ago.
    I got very lucky as I was the only person there who knew anything besides the very basics
    about coins .
    There was a lot more good stuff there too. I almost felt sorry for the consignors/family/estate heirs because they got hammered.
    The auctioneer should have done a little due diligence.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold coins from both mints are special due to their rarity and historical importance. I don't understand the concern with the Dahlonega Mint and the Denver Mint sharing the same D mintmark. The Dahlonega Mint closed at the outbreak of the Civil War long before the Denver Mint opened well into the 20th century.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Boosibri ... cue the jaw drop! I remember the color of that '48-C QE... an amazing coin.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    I've never owned one of either, but always felt Dahlonega has a bit more cachet.

I've owned 5 Dahl's and prefer them over Charlotte gold.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file