Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• BamaphilBamaphil Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm envy of you. ✌️

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Fraz said:
    @JoeyCoins — Have you posted here earlier about the roll searching skills that you employ? How long does a roll require you to examine the coins that it contains? Do you search a roll more than once?
    Thanks—Craig.

You guys make it sound like this is renovating a building! :D
    I go through tons of rolls, in many denominations, each and every day.
    One roll of quarters, even meticulously, only takes me approximately 1 minute.
    No big deal. Yes, it can be tedious but the tedious turns into profits and satisfactory excitement, periodically as well.
    I found many coins worth grading than either flipping them or keeping them for my CRHunt inventory.

Agreed Joey and ditto :blush:
    Additionally...I genuinely enjoy those fresh rolls of all the same coin easily as much as I enjoy mixed rolls and my vintage rolls! It's a form of meditation...but sometimes profitable as well.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 5:27AM

Thanks, @JoeyCoins — that is what I was curious about. You’re a monster of nature! It’s a privilege to be in your wake.
    Do you have a method, e.g.: field first, letters, artifacts? If so, do you see all coins the same way?
    @Kurisu — that rapidly too, damn.

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    it can be tedious…

No, my methods are tedious.

@Fraz said:
    Thanks, @JoeyCoins — that is what I was curious about. You’re a monster of nature! It’s a privilege to be in your wake.
    Do you have a method, e.g.: field first, letters, artifacts? If so, do you see all coins the same way?
    @Kurisu — that rapidly too, damn.

I may have a similar method to Joey when I'm doing solid rolls of the same fresh coins...One very good light source, similar to how a grader views coins...I pick them up in small stacks and flip them over one at a time from one hand to the other checking both sides and watching for anomolies and beauties to re-check. Then I quickly end up with a smaller pile to re-scan sometimes going through a few rolls before checking the re-scan pile. I keep a good loupe handy and almost never use my scope.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

edited March 9, 2023 7:40PM

Coins are Neato!

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me love me some free silver! 2nd silver find 2023!

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 3:54PM

Same day, different roll, fairly nice 2019 W, heavy rain here in CA, I guess that you can say that I'm on a roll! (Yes, Pun intended!)

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 5:03PM

Part 2?

10 more rolls- 2023p Bessie Coleman errors?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@Coinscratch said:
    Good luck @joeykoins Here's a little eye candy fer ya!

Those are gorgeous! Nice
    B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins I’m on the hunt for the first 1976 Type 1 Ike in MS67 among others for wondercoin. See bst. I’m finding these can tone very nicely which is most of the hoopla to begin with but still a clean one in any color is going to be a challenge. Yea 👍

@Coinscratch said:
    @joeykoins I’m on the hunt for the first 1976 Type 1 Ike in MS67 among others for wondercoin. See bst. I’m finding these can tone very nicely which is most of the hoopla to begin with but still a clean one in any color is going to be a challenge. Yea 👍

Good Luck, my friend.
    ;)

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were kinda odd! I pulled these out of a roll today. I've never found or have seen anything like it before. They look like some type of souvenir coin from a gift shop. Real dollars. Almost like a plated reverse proof look. Both sides are filled with a clean epoxy. The epoxy is raised on the coin, so the coins don't touch. They look very well made. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR said:
    These were kinda odd! I pulled these out of a roll today. I've never found or have seen anything like it before. They look like some type of souvenir coin from a gift shop. Real dollars. Almost like a plated reverse proof look. Both sides are filled with a clean epoxy. The epoxy is raised on the coin, so the coins don't touch. They look very well made. Any ideas?

They might have been part of a display collection that got disassembled.

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to tell from those pics...maybe a splotch of grease on the die?

Coins are Neato!

A fun unusual one from a Loomis nickel roll

Coins are Neato!

Now here's a rarity! A silver ender!!!

Grabbed some rolls from my credit union and a box of quarters from Chase.
    Nice mix of quarters in the box too rather than mostly fresh rolls :blush:
    Usually the Credit Union limits all rolls to 2 of each...the tellers who know me offered up their halves so I got to leave with 6 rolls of halves today.

Hard not to notice the beautiful gold toning on one of the rolls of halves and thought to myself, this might actually be a silver ender!!!
    Well would you look at that :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

This week's half dollar finds - 2 boxes ($1000 face value)

19 - 40 % silvers
    26 NIFC's (stacks)
    A 1983 no "FG"
    A token
    A 1986-S clad proof
    A 1996-clad proof with environmental damage (I will throw this one back).

1983 No "FG"

Token pretending to be a half dollar

Someone please call the phone no. on this token and tell them that they owe me 50 cents.
    The 19 silvers gives me a total of 48 silvers for the year 2023 so far and actually puts me ahead of RFT (Rob Finds Treasure). He searches 5-6 times more boxes per week then I do and I do not get them every week. I have been lucky so far!
    As for NIFC's, I am only going to save 1 roll of each date and mm as after awhile you just get too many of these. Or maybe I can eBay a few date mm sets.

Yea but Rob has more followers which is prolly like finding 500 40%s a week :D
    Nice scores and I would say you hit a honey hole.

@Kurisu Whoa Panama! That's cool.

News Flash! Zincolns can still have luster - Good luck finding one with no spots, hits, scrapes, or rub :D

The only find in that last box of quarters

Coins are Neato!

Only find in the last box
    "W" # 35

• ErikbErikb Posts: 77 ✭✭

Some finds from the past few weeks

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu Whoa Panama! That's cool.

News Flash! Zincolns can still have luster - Good luck finding one with no spots, hits, scrapes, or rub :D

Hey guys! Wasn’t there some kind of doubled die for 2022? Not sure if it’s just pareidolia but look at Liberty especially the B.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

None listed on Wexler's site for 2022.... Something going on with the B, but cannot make out detail. Cheers, RickO

edited March 25, 2023 8:40PM

This week's half dollar finds: 4- 40%

And a 1983-P No "FG"

LATEnightTiP

What’s the tip? The proper way to hold a coin upside and backwards in your underwear. 😂 I hope you left a tip 😂

edited March 27, 2023 10:54AM

🤣

edited March 27, 2023 11:04AM

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I found the other day. Do you think this is copper or just too worn?

@jt88 said:
    This is what I found the other day. Do you think this is copper or just too worn?

I’m thinking corrosion and even if it was improperly annealed it is now improperly corroded too.

Wheat cent bag search find
    1956-D RPM-001

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2023 1:33AM

3.1 with the SNOWMAN EFFECT, in the 8, which, according to this diagram, would make this a 1982 D small date copper.

i've had this for a while and I'm just getting around to it now. Hmm ?

edited March 27, 2023 6:00AM

@emeraldATV said:
    3.1 with the SNOWMAN EFFECT, in the 8, which, according to this diagram, would make this a 1982 D small date copper.

i've had this for a while and I'm just getting around to it now. Hmm ?

Not 100% sure, but it appears to be a large date to me.

Hey @Coinscratch ...Remember the amazing condition dime contest? :smiley:
    Did a few rolls of my 2021 D stash, so many fantastic condition dimes in these rolls!
    Check this one out compared to what our host is featuring as an MS68 https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2021-d-10c-fb/852847

Coins are Neato!

@Kurisu Wow, that one is noice, 67+ maybe 68. Currently new dimes have taken a backseat for me but the contest is still on :) I'm getting heavy into the Kennedys, Washingtons, and Ikes from the 60s and 70s.

@Kurisu Check this one out for example. Either this 72 D 25C & 50C are MS68 or this seller is a photo wizard. Will know in a couple of days once they show up.

Nothing like getting an early quickie in before you start the day.

@Joe_360 said:
    I'll take it! 1964 Candian 25 cent piece, 80% silver!

Awesome find, Joe.
    Love the Canadian silver!
    I have many in my collection. New & old.
    <3
    B)

edited March 28, 2023 1:41PM

@Kurisu said:
    Hey @Coinscratch ...Remember the amazing condition dime contest? :smiley:
    Did a few rolls of my 2021 D stash, so many fantastic condition dimes in these rolls!
    Check this one out compared to what our host is featuring as an MS68 https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2021-d-10c-fb/852847

This reminds me of when I sent in a monster from 2020.
    My magnificent cent!
    # MS 67RD

Top POP at one point.
    <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file