Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2022 4:04PM

Back home for fall break and went to the bank for a box of quarters. Unfortunately, I got a box of brand new 2022 Ninna Otero-Warren quarters straight from Denver. I know a few of you would love this box but this is not something I would look through. Are there any errors known yet for the D mint Ninna Otero-Warren quarters? Any suggestions on what to do other than cracking all the rolls to return to the bank? I have cracked a few rolls and they are full rolls of brand new quarters.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Back home for fall break and went to the bank for a box of quarters. Unfortunately, I got a box of brand new 2022 Ninna Otero-Warren quarters straight from Denver. I know a few of you would love this box but this is not something I would look through. Are there any errors known yet for the D mint Ninna Otero-Warren quarters? Any suggestions on what to do other than cracking all the rolls to return to the bank? I have cracked a few rolls and they are full rolls of brand new quarters.

I got a Nina Otero-Warren 2022-D box also. I am trying to eBay them, but no luck so far. I will slowly open them and check for errors and return them to the bank if I have to. So far, there is not much to search these for. I may just search a few rolls and return the rest unsearched. I will wait a short while before giving up on these, just in case something shows up that I should search for.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2022 8:58PM

@rec78 said:

@Kliao said:

I got a Nina Otero-Warren 2022-D box also. I am trying to eBay them, but no luck so far. I will slowly open them and check for errors and return them to the bank if I have to. So far, there is not much to search these for. I may just search a few rolls and return the rest unsearched. I will wait a short while before giving up on these, just in case something shows up that I should search for.

Just went through 4-5 rolls and all I found were 5 with the small die chip on Washington's nose.

Collector

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Just went through 4-5 rolls and all I found were 5 with the small die chip on Washington's nose.

just for the sake of die study, if you'd post a pic, i'd appreciate it. kinda interesting to see the failure spots on the obv dies across different quarters for 2019 forward. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins .... Slow, but the W's are still coming... Well, in the rolls.... In the wild they seem to be extremely rare. I have only found that one in the Coinstar reject slot. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Kliao said:

just for the sake of die study, if you'd post a pic, i'd appreciate it. kinda interesting to see the failure spots on the obv dies across different quarters for 2019 forward. :)

Took them with a macro lens on my phone, haven't set up my digital microscope yet on my new computer.

Collector

• Options

@Kliao said:

interesting.. in the same area as several others. w/o any clashing or die work, quite peculiar to see that break on so many others!

i'm guessing that means we should end up finding the mouth chip(s) as well eventually. perhaps some others too!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the last box I posted... 28 beautiful rolls of fresh Denver Wongs.
    2 Ws.
    1 Proof.
    A really nice Spitting Horse.
    That went fairly well :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    SpawnfreekSpawnfreek Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    A while back I accidentally cherrypicked a pawn shop while buying around 8 1959 BU Lincolns for $3 each. Not knowing what they were I left a few there. Three of them are the DDO and I had one graded (TV Shown) and it just came back MS65 DDO PG. $300.00

Today, I called them and they still had 3 left, almost a year later...
    Here they are and 2 are DDO for a total of five.

NON DDO

DDO :)

I know, probably just me being picky, but those two beautiful pennies in the plastic aren't wheat.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome in @Spawnfreek.

That should have been the first clue. The shop owner had previously showed me some poor results from PCGS on Mercs. They all looked really nice and lustrious but they graded 64 & 5. He sounded disgruntled about the whole experience and I think that cured any need of his to have coins graded :D
    I got him on speed dial now.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 12:55AM

38 to Hunt!

#161W?

Results

2019p DDO Memorial

Plus,

#161W

On to my next hunt!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Got my first last week. If you find one, I will only be 160 behind you!

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

38 to Hunt!

#161W?

And 162 😉

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2022 7:48PM

Vintage Denver bus token in my dimes.
    A bit smaller than a dime.
    I've only seen pictures, never had one.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

A reason why I dislike customer rolls for the most part. Got $200 of quarters and received all customer wrapped. 2 of the rolls had about half replaced with nickels! I can take 1 or 2 at the most but half of the roll?!?

There was a silver quarter in the mix along with a French Franc and a Chicago Bears token of some sort, you can tell I'm in the Chicago area :) .

Collector

• Options

@Kliao said:
    A reason why I dislike customer rolls for the most part. Got $200 of quarters and received all customer wrapped. 2 of the rolls had about half replaced with nickels! I can take 1 or 2 at the most but half of the roll?!?

that is probably the worst abuse i've seen and is the type of reason my bank stopped accepting customer returned rolls. they usually know the roll searchers so it is easy to weed us out and the machine kicks back everything odd.

you MAY want to mention it to the bank (there could be negative effects that hurt roll searching) so they can try to figure out whom the scammer is.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Kliao said:

that is probably the worst abuse i've seen and is the type of reason my bank stopped accepting customer returned rolls. they usually know the roll searchers so it is easy to weed us out and the machine kicks back everything odd.

you MAY want to mention it to the bank (there could be negative effects that hurt roll searching) so they can try to figure out whom the scammer is.

Yeah, I will be to let them know. I suspect it was not a roll searcher that did this but a dishonest customer as there was a silver quarter in the mix.

Collector

• Options
    edited November 22, 2022 7:25PM

@Kliao said:

There was a silver quarter in the mix along with a French Franc and a Chicago Bears token of some sort, you can tell I'm in the Chicago area :) .

Chicago area? Forget about it, that’s where Joey lives, you might as well take up another hobby :D or move to another city :D

• Options

You know, he searches Nickels too :o

• Options
    edited November 22, 2022 8:48PM

@Coinscratch said:

@Kliao said:

Chicago area? Forget about it, that’s where Joey lives, you might as well take up another hobby :D or move to another city :D

I'm pretty sure he's a bit south of me, maybe that's why I can't find anything, I'm getting all of joey's leftovers from the Chicago fed! :D:D

@Coinscratch said:
    You know, he searches Nickels too :o

Joey, did you do this >:):D

Collector

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

This week's half dollar find: 2 boxes searched ($1000 face value)
    6 NIFC coins including a 1987-P and this
    James Doolittle stickered Kennedy- The date is 2015

and this 1983-P no FG

No silver

Quarters fared much better. 8 boxes searched ($4000 face value)
    "W"'s # 24, 25, and 26.

Maya Anjelou VDDR 002
    10, 11, and12.

Maya Anjelou VDDR 001
    24, 25, 26 and 27

Nebraska WDDR-28 or 59 or?

West Virginia:
    Die chips on side of building

WDDR-081 or 084 or?

WDDR #38

Not shown--A few "S" proof's and some "S" circulation strike NIFC's

No silver quarters.

• Options

I got 5 rolls of quarters yesterday. They were all customer wrapped and from the same person. They were each short 1 quarter. Gee, was that accidental? So far in the few short weeks I have been roll searching they have been customer wraps. Today, I got 10 bank wrapped rolls. Hoping I find something good! I will let you know how it goes.
    Bob

• Options

Well only 3 rolls in and nothing. They all seem to be dated about 2014 and older. I guess it's not looking good for "W's. I don't know what else to look for other that the extra ear of corn.
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Well only 3 rolls in and nothing. They all seem to be dated about 2014 and older. I guess it's not looking good for "W's. I don't know what else to look for other that the extra ear of corn.
    Bob

Many, many varieties in the Washington quarter series. I always check the PCGS Price Guide. Check any date, than you should see if that particular coin has any varieties. Or The Cherry Pickers Book, for the Quarters.
    Good Luck

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Cherry pickers book? I will have to look into that.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

So what you are saying is that I need to spend more money and buy the book. This is an expensive hobby. I guess a coin store will have the book?

• Options

@milbroco... Yes, coin shops or book stores (i.e. Barnes and Noble etc.) will have the CPG... Well worth the investment. And yes, coins, as a hobby, can be pricey.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 23, 2022 9:28PM

@milbroco said:
    So what you are saying is that I need to spend more money and buy the book. This is an expensive hobby. I guess a coin store will have the book?

That book looks like this.

However, be careful. Not to spend too much on these books. One can search for better offers, elsewhere.
    Also, like I mentioned in my earlier post. Use our host's, (PCGS) Price Guide.
    The varieties will popup. All for
    FREE!

;)

• Options
    edited November 24, 2022 10:09AM

Oh!
    Let's not forget all the recent 2021 and 2022 treasures.
    Many HOT varieties and errors produced by the mint because of work shortage.
    Yes, even at our Mint.
    Thank You U.S. Mint.
    :D
    Quite a few are sold on Ebay for some very high premiums.
    ;)

2021 Airmen

2022 Willma Mankiller

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Happy Thanksgiving all!

@sfs2002usa That 56 looks like it used to have dark rim toning, then at some point got popped out and spent back into circulation.
    Happy hunting

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Coinscratch - If I read you correctly this coin was in a collection album OR an uncirculated mint set ? It looks like it has been around for quite a while, and perhaps if it was in the pool all those years it would have deeper wear ? I would put the grade at lower than good. The reverse torch is well worn as is the hair. Rest is OK and lettering is very clear.

• Options

Well just finished my 10 rolls....and nothing. Oh well, the hunt continues.
    Bob

• Options

you know, if we were all doing this like 8-12 years ago (when flat-rate was less than half for small boxes of the price they are now) it would be FUN to get a group together of about 5-10 people and once we search a group, send it to another person to look through to see if they could find something others have missed. it would kinda sting but be a good humored opportunity as well. i'd LOVE to learn about something i've been missing that i'd rather not although there are some things you all pull out that i don't any more, including some ddo, ddr, struck-through etc.

think of coin shows, online, shops etc where you KNOW many eyes have already looked at what you are looking at YET, still being able to find something you want.

a more recent OBVIOUS one happened to me when i attended a shop where i hadn't seen a particular person for many years and lo and behold, after months of not going myself, i run into this person (they got there before me partly due to construction), although i really couldn't place them til near the end of their visit upon which i tried to do some basic chit-chat and it didn't go very far BUT as irony would have it, a couple/few weeks later i go back and i go there first this time and they showed up after idk, 30-40 minutes. W O W. 2x on the same day out of years of attendance. SO, the first time, they were going through the foreign bucket while i was going through trays for type coins and slabs, of which i found a nice handful, then figured there wasn't much in the bucket but i hadn't done it in a while and said, why not. they bought, idk a dollar or two worth which is quite a few foreign coins and a hour or two later i had well over 3 pounds! so it is amazing sometimes what other aren't interested in, don't know to look for, don't have the money for, time, energy etc.

• Options

This set is on the way, I bought it because the Kennedy looks really good. You can see luster and the shadow around his bust :D
    Wrong bust, but it looks like it could be good and for 7 bucks why not.

Then I was just window shopping and came across that same shadowy bust on a MS67. This could be good.

• Options

Then what do y’all think about these two?
    This one looks PL but, if the light is diffused and still bright enough this phenomenon can happen. It was the only coin related item this seller had out of couple hundred electronic listings so again, roll the dice.

On this one the Kennedy and the Washington are both showing PL tendencies unless possibly again the lighting is in the sellers favor.
    But again this seller was a one off for coins so I doubt it was purposeful.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2022 1:31AM

# 162W

2020W Tallgrass Prairie V75

Not too bad condition also

• Options

Please help me understand. The Kennedy half above looks to have a lot of scratches or something wrong on the surface. What makes this a MS?
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

@sfs2002usa... You are doing good with silver finds... I never thought of grouping the ones I have acquired from change. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭

THIRD SILVER FIND!!

So at long last my local credit union had $19 worth of halves...one roll was just all Bicentennials...but the other $9 worth had a 1964!!! and two 1968's (40% silver)! Wow, to be able to get a nice big silver coin (plus two 40%ers) at face value is quite the lucky find, is it not?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@milbroco said:
    Please help me understand. The Kennedy half above looks to have a lot of scratches or something wrong on the surface. What makes this a MS?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Mint State is basically uncirculated/unworn then other factors determine how good MS 60 thru 70 it is including and certainly not limited to strike, luster, and preservation. If you're referring to the '68 I was just pointing out the luster in the fields and how to spot it from sellers pics. And yes, there are some hits on that one and hopefully not too many.

The pics never tell the whole story in fact it's very likely that none of these coins will be worth grading. Once under a loupe and you figure out it wouldn't grade past 65 so, it goes to the resell pile. So in short, pictures of mint sets are never going to be very revealing and buying them is almost always a crap shot. So all you have left are tell tale signs to help limit the damage.

• Options

OK Thanks. So would all proof set coins be considered MS since they have never been circulated? Then other factors determine what grade in MS? Sorry for the simple questions but I am trying to learn. I have seen previous pages in this thread of coins received in rolls and sent in and get MS grades, so how would they get MS grades when they are circulated? I guess what I can do is scan a few coins and start a thread of what I think they would grade and compare that with what people here would think.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    OK Thanks. So would all proof set coins be considered MS since they have never been circulated? Then other factors determine what grade in MS? Sorry for the simple questions but I am trying to learn. I have seen previous pages in this thread of coins received in rolls and sent in and get MS grades, so how would they get MS grades when they are circulated? I guess what I can do is scan a few coins and start a thread of what I think they would grade and compare that with what people here would think.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

if you are asking about semantics, a proof that has not circulated would probably be referred to as unimpaired since they are called impaired proofs when they have circulated. (impaired may also referred to damaged, heavily corroded etc)

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Thanks again,
    Bob

They're only circulated if you want them to be otherwise they're proofs :D just kiddin.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@milbroco said:
    Thanks again,
    Bob

They're only circulated if you want them to be otherwise they're proofs :D just kiddin.

These are only some of my roll finds in the past year, finally decided to post them. I really like the 59

• Options

Sorry, somehow the pics are out of order. The wheat rear is the 58, obviously.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file