Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 1:55PM

I haven't done this in a while, but was able to pick up 20 nickel rolls at the bank today. If I find anything of significance I'll post it.

UPDATE:
    Now I know why I don't roll search too often, 20 rolls on new 2020P nickels. Back to the bank tomorrow .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan Its a crap shot. I like to ask for customer wrapped rolls in hopes of finding higher quality coins. At the same time it's better to get a little bit of both because sometimes banks will have old fed boxes.

• Options

I started this thread a year ago today! And at the time none of us could have imagined what we were about to endure...
    So, to say the least it has been a lack luster year, in terms of major finds while roll hunting and pretty much all terms (unless you own some bitcoins, manufacture facemasks, or own stock in Zoom etc.). A lot a cool stuff but nothing really significant...Thanks to all hanging tight! (and me not getting myself banned).

I'm hopeful now however, with the vaccines coming out and people getting back to being well, people and that somehow just by flipping the page on my new PCGS calendar will make it all better. I said hopeful :)

I'll start off by turning the page now (why wait) chugging a few beers, breaking out a box now, and then a few more of both!
    Cheers to 2021, may you not be worse than 2020 (hindsight is) was :D:D:D

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I started this thread a year ago today! And at the time none of us could have imagined what we were about to endure...
    So, to say the least it has been a lack luster year, in terms of major finds while roll hunting and pretty much all terms (unless you own some bitcoins, manufacture facemasks, or own stock in Zoom etc.). A lot a cool stuff but nothing really significant...Thanks to all hanging tight! (and me not getting myself banned).

I'm hopeful now however, with the vaccines coming out and people getting back to being well, people and that somehow just by flipping the page on my new PCGS calendar will make it all better. I said hopeful :)

I'll start off by turning the page now (why wait) chugging a few beers, breaking out a box now, and then a few more of both!
    Cheers to 2021, may you not be worse than 2020 (hindsight is) was :D:D:D

Thank you for starting this thread and Happy Anniversary! I hope you and your family have a safe and happy holiday!

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Third Bank box of Cents in three weeks

Just returned from the bank with 4 of those, had to have help taking them out to the car. I asked about Half dollars, they said they will not order any more and do not have any on hand. I/we must be glutton's for punishment. Happy hunting.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Looks like you need to break out the metal detectors. Nice picture.

• Options

@In4apenny said:
    Looks like you need to break out the metal detectors. Nice picture.

Just sold that :D When I go back to digging will be shopping a Whites or Minelab, can't remember but whatever Gary Drayton uses for sure Mate. Be lookin fer me top pocket finds.
    The T's are silent in Brittish, bri-ish :)

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 12:38PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    When you see rolls that have toning seeping through the wrapper, go ahead and buy them! I've passed on this kinda stuff before thinking they were crusty. Wrong! They were toney.

"Toney roll". I like it, It's now in my vocabulary without asking your permission B)
    But you'll forever get the credit :-)

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 2:45PM

@Kurisu I'm feeling a lil bit toney, lol. Could also be sushi roll, I ask next time I'm out.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2021 9:47PM

Found in pocket change, or is it received as change ?
    And its got steps...
    1955 US 5 cent, nickel.
    Very clean. |!

2 3.1 1982 US Lincoln with 1 of the D mint showing a classy tone.

• Options

Steps 1955

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warning... "Toney rolls" .... OOOOK! :D;) I would have thought that discoloration was due to rubbing and handling.... I will avoid them for sure.... :D Actually, that name sounds like a dessert. Yes, I will have two of the raspberry toney rolls. :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Ricko The Toney Chef was off the other night but they did have The Jingle Bell Roll and with a lot of toning :)
    Here in Texas the Covid only lives at the hostess desk, once you sit down it magically disappears.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Ricko The Toney Chef was off the other night but they did have The Jingle Bell Roll and with a lot of toning :)
    Here in Texas the Covid only lives at the hostess desk, once you sit down it magically disappears.

That starburst pattern indicates some delicious die wear...and it looks like there is going to be an ikura strike-through!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu Those are fish eggs son! At least that's what I told him :D errrr caviar. He used to eat fried calamari until he figured out they weren't really onion rings. SQUID! EWWWWWW!

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu Those are fish eggs son! At least that's what I told him :D errrr caviar. He used to eat fried calamari until he figured out they weren't really onion rings. SQUID! EWWWWWW!

My little brother has lived in Tokyo for almost 30 years and I go for a month long visit every few years...so I know things :-)

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited January 4, 2021 11:34AM

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

My little brother has lived in Tokyo for almost 30 years and I go for a month long visit every few years...so I know things :-)

They eat some messed up stuff over there...

• Options

:)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

definitely "AT"

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Ask me if I'm excited?! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu Holy moly - No need to ask :)

• Options

'74 pays well even in a 66 - Good luck!
    I have a few Jeffs being graded and expecting 1 or 2 FS's

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diamond in the rough?

Hardly, just a 1982s proof. Still cool I guess?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2021 9:18PM

@ajaan said:
    UPDATE:
    Now I know why I don't roll search too often, 20 rolls on new 2020P nickels. Back to the bank tomorrow .

Sorry, tough luck. Go back and ask for 2020 Quarters. ;) W's
    I found 9, in just 19 rolls. All "Tallgrass Prairie"

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

This might help in other catog.
    Cool on the S dude, Whats the weight?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if on my trip to the bank today, I will have to pick up some rolls.... halves and quarters would be nice.... New rolls of quarters and old rolls of halves... yep.. That's the ticket!! ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 7, 2021 10:57PM

I also posted this in it's own thread in the main forum, please comment there....Just a heads up.... a message on Loomis boxes in Oregon "No Silver...Pre Sorted"
    I have no idea what it means.
    If someone is simply scanning the bins by eye as the coins are fed or if they've added something to the machines to identify and reject silver.
    If you know something feel free to add info!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CRH/comments/kspyur/for_those_who_wondered_this_is_the_stamp_on/

I'm in Denver and haven't heard anything about this yet.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Found today in just three rolls! B)

Tallgrass Prairie

Congratulations! You are on a roll!😂🤣

• Options

Just a 62, with ivy.... could be poison ivy....
    lol

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 12:08AM

This could be my BEST coin CRH ever?
    1997 "Doubled Ear" variety?

• Options

Yes, I guess I am. Thank You. In one roll I picked up!

1 W

That makes 13. :)

• Options

@joeykoins Nice find dude on the '97 double ear! When you get a chance post full pics so we can guess the grade. Regardless of grade its worth slabbing.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Here is my latest & greatest roll find to date.

Now, back to the hunt.

...what are we looking at here Friend? Is there an error...?

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Some of my best roll finds come from unsuspecting little corner stores.

My truck was designed with roll hunting in mind :D

Ummm...are you near the MPLS airport by any chance my friend?

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 1:40PM

My truck was designed with roll hunting in mind

Hey, we should go in our own business. You with your car as a mobile CRH truck and me with my car for photo taking. Lol ;)

• Options

When you get a chance post full pics so we can guess the grade. Regardless of grade its worth slabbing.

Ok?

• Options

Saved for a snowy day....today's the day!
    Let's see how many I can get through... Starting with some dimes :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Yes, I guess I am. Thank You. In one roll I picked up!

1 W

That makes 13. :)

Well you sure know how to get my attention but you gotta find another one real quick to make it 14🤣😂

• Options

@nickelsciolist said:
    Wow. This post is super fun. Nothing that compares to some of the impressive stuff above, but very recent finds for me range from the ridiculous to the, well if not quite sublime, at least fun to find.
    From top to bottom:
    Silver from the roll mine, some beat up proofs, more silver, some older silver and some "gold" (worst fake of the year so far), some goofy painted quarters and a Russian...whatever it is...

Plus, not shown, enough W quarters to trade for sets with some of my online buddies :smile:

There is something special about finding silver in a roll....they stand out so nicely!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 3:51PM

@Kurisu said:
    Saved for a snowy day....today's the day!
    Let's see how many I can get through

Good Luck, dude. ;)

• Options

@nickelsciolist said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Here is my latest & greatest roll find to date.

Now, back to the hunt.

...what are we looking at here Friend? Is there an error...?

MS67 and was my best roll find a couple years back, book was 425 but went down to 325. Ended up selling recently for 150 to help fund my new gold addiction :)
    It’s kinda dirty looking so it didn’t bring what I had hoped nonetheless still a profit.

• Options

@nickelsciolist Where is that :D
    This was near IAH airport. Houston.

• Options

@Kurisu Nice assortment there, after seeing Joeys 97 I stopped at the nearest bank this morning.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu Nice assortment there, after seeing Joeys 97 I stopped at the nearest bank this morning.

Neat! I hope those customer rolls turn out fun!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2021 10:01PM

Two boxes, several luster bombs, and a couple toners. Might be a candidate in there maybe. I came really close on a few so I’ll be going back Monday to get the rest of this hoard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file