Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprise! 1889 IHC from a dull fed box - Go figure. Then a small date 60d and a bit coin :D

• Options

@mannie gray That is cool, token?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray .... That is an amazing CRH find.... I would frame that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray That is cool, token?

It's a Civil War Token.
    No doubt stolen or dumped from grandpa's collection.....regardless, I nearly fell out of my chair.
    Finding any CWT in a roll would be extremely unlikely, but to make this one even more unlikely is that is is not one of the more common ones.
    It's not crazy rare but not one that is common either.

• Options

@mannie gray Looks really cool, you just never know right.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2020 2:54PM

I went back to this bank today to get the verified rolls, translation; Unroll, count, slide across the table complete with fingerprint and shove back into a sleeve.
    Teller: Sorry I only have 3 rolls verified yet.
    So what if they're a few short I'll take the loss, it's an error in the banks favor!
    Teller: Sorry, Its our policy!
    If you count one roll then measure the length on the other ones you wont have to redo them all!
    Teller: Policy!
    I'm like look bank teller lady I don't care if they're verified or not I'll verify them now, sell me those damn pennies :D
    Teller: Its our policy
    Big Sigh! Alright, okay then. I'll take the three rolls. You think you might have three more tomorrow?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 8:29PM

I AM UTTERLY ASTOUNDED how coins can survive in for so long in circulation in this type of condition at all! It's madness I tell you!

So after not doing these types of rolls for an honest almost 20 years...and thanks for the encouragement here!!!
    I know you want the tally... 10 rolls of quarters, 2 rolls of small dollars.

A whole heck of a variety of State & America the Beautiful quarters from every single year except 2011 for some reason.
    A few rolls worth of classic quarters.
    A few brand new 2020 quarters you can see in the photos but none in spectacular condition.
    3 First year Susan B Anthony's and one that's pictured is just lovely.
    A couple handfuls of presidential dollars, including the two amazing ones pictured.
    A handful of Sacagawea dollars.
    A few of the other Sacagawea dollars series including a couple satin finish.
    No silver.
    A little cud error, and a spectacular specimen of coin roll/crimper damage like I've never seen before.

Also, what do you think of my initial grade guess of that presidential dollar?!

Enjoy a few pics :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Coin roll hunting 101.

Some days the diamond,

Some days the stone...

• Options
    edited December 15, 2020 8:18PM

@CoinscratchFever Jinx!
    ...I think we posted at the same moment lol!
    Sweet search there lol!
    ...Actually bottom row 4th one over I like that green

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    @CoinscratchFever Jinx!
    ...I think we posted at the same moment lol!
    Sweet search there lol!
    ...Actually bottom row 4th one over I like that green

Great minds think a like :-)
    The cell picture does no justice for the true color. That 93D is a true stunner except for the cement stuck in the middle I soaked it for a couple hours in acetone and it dulled the shine.
    So you like quarters, I have a bunch if you’re interested including first week of discovery Lowell ranging in grades from machine damage to 66.
    Then a few other cameos and low grade rainbow toners that are raw and graded.
    Give me a minute I’m watching Oak Island then I’ll post some pictures LOL

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu
    Your Monroe has quite a few light scuffs in the fields...no heavy marks but the number of scuffs break the luster flow and disrupt the cartwheel effect, resulting in a lower grade.
    The luster for a 67/8 must be thick and swirling, pleasing and possessing the "ooh...that's nearly flawless" first impression.
    Your coin looks slightly dull, and would not make a high grade.
    The luster may not look great because it's in a 2x2...but look at graded 68s on line and compare the "look."
    I would put it at 65 tops.
    Also noted are some light abrasions on the face; again, nothing major but all the little distractions add up....or, rather, subtract....would be more accurate.

• Options

@Kurisu Mannie’s first rule of thumb is grade grumpy, seriously. And it’s great advice, after enough 66 and 67‘s came back I adopted the same rule :-)
    Now I’m scared to send anything in :D

• Options
    edited December 15, 2020 8:56PM

@mannie gray said:
    @Kurisu
    Your coin looks slightly dull, and would not make a high grade.
    The luster may not look great because it's in a 2x2...but look at graded 68s on line and compare the "look."
    I would put it at 65 tops.
    Also noted are some light abrasions on the face; again, nothing major but all the little distractions add up....or, rather, subtract....would be more accurate.

It's always tricky once it's in the flip, you can see it out of the flip too but of course angles matter.
    I also had it in multiple light sources and a large light deflector because I'm also filming it and once I post the video you'll get a much better look at it.

Take a look at the image above the sealed bank bag, unfortunately not in focus on that Monroe but it's the first one that's directly across from the loupe...look at the luster in that light :smile:

I appreciate the attention to it :-) I'm just floored it survived like that...
    Full disclosure, my initial guess is almost always in my nearly or actually direct sunlight so I promise I'm always trying to show more than you would see at 5x with a nice single light source...but the colors and details really pop in full sun! :smile:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu Mannie’s first rule of thumb is grade grumpy, seriously. And it’s great advice, after enough 66 and 67‘s came back I adopted the same rule :-)
    Now I’m scared to send anything in :D

Actually...it goes to another pile and then gets my most conservative proper dark room one light 5x rotate both sides pretend I'm a grader looksy and then it's final guess from me. Grading has been good to me, knock on wood.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Went to cash a check today at my local bank. Was actually surprised to see the lobby still open (recent return to gym, restaurant, etc shut-downs in PA), so I asked for a few rolls of quarters to search in anticipation of being snowed-in the next day or so. Was encouraged to immediately see one coin we needed (the last missing 2019-P "San Antonio Mission") on the end of a roll.............. Well, that was the ONLY worthwhile coin I found out of the entire lot........ :(

Still......... at least that's 1 down & just 6 more to go to close-out our 2019 collections! (Still need to find 3 D's each for San Antonio Mission & River of No Return Wilderness.......... not an easy thing right outside of Philly....).

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I'm on the board!
    And the night was...young?

2011? Wow Nice. Never knew one for 2011. B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

The first thing that popped into my head was a tune by Foreigner "Double Vision". Nice find.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2020 12:39AM

@In4apenny said:
    The first thing that popped into my head was a tune by Foreigner "Double Vision".

Thanks. You do realize the one picture is just an "overlay" of my "die clash", right? :*
    Overlay

Die clash (my coin)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

It's good when you've gone to the same branch for decades.
    I was returning the entire pile from the previous search and my same teller said someone just dropped off some rolls and held a couple of them up for me to see.
    But after having just searched (for the first time in 20 years or so) what I considered to be a totally wackadoodle pile of those last customer rolls I wasn't even going to ask for more....

She started putting them in a bag. So apparently I WAS going to ask and those WERE the rolls I was looking for. :smiley:
    No complaints lol! I'm just starting...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Good luck with your new old rolls.... ;) Let us know of any treasures found. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 7:38PM

@ricko said:

Good luck with your new old rolls.... ;) Let us know of any treasures found. Cheers, RickO

Oh my goodness, this is just a gorgeous and fun coin.
    It looks like a freshly struck aluminum coin to the naked eye, it's mirrored surfaces!

That little galaxy of toning coming right out of In God We Trust makes me smile.

1 single keeper from that entire batch and only because it's cool, but that's ok! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 4:13PM

Finally found some decent clean home rolled stuff. I wasn't even on the hunt when I pulled into this bank Yesterday.
    That's a lie, I'm always on the hunt :)
    Halfway through and still hoping for that perfect one though, a few of these Might be good enough.

• Options

A lot of them give off that dark field almost PL surfaces.

• Options

Holey moley... How many rolls did you get at that bank? Looks like someone dumped their hoard of cents. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Holey moley... How many rolls did you get at that bank? Looks like someone dumped their hoard of cents. Cheers, RickO

2 1/2 roughly. I only brought enough to buy one box but after checking a couple of the rolls I hurried to the ATM and went back asking for 4 more. Glad I did because it was the second or half box that had the 09's.

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 11:27AM

My teller made me the perfect Birthday gift!!!
    I'm a Winter Solstice baby, so maybe a warlock too.
    And you people (especially @CoinscratchFever ) have further doomed me by getting me back into customer roll searching :wink:

I was returning the quarters and dollars from the first hunt.
    I knew the teller, she told me happy b-day and I told her my bank account there was older than her.
    She said she was the older one, by one year lol.
    She said let me give you a surprise...took her a few minutes and she came back with the box.
    I was smiling like a 10 year old, behind the mask.
    She told me that again, except for quarters, those were most of the rolls in the bank, and the two Ike dollars were the only ones in the bank, they aren't special but that was nice.

Saturday morning coffee and I got through the 3 customer wrapped penny rolls, 2 1950's wheaties, fun.
    Just finished 7 rolls of brand new 2020 Denver dimes right here in Denver-ish.
    Sorting through the finest at the moment and I'll get back to you, but...

I also just discovered that I LOVE searching new dimes! They are nasty horribly difficult little things to find in amazing condition...and I love it lol!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

This particular journey is not complete. Only in my 19th roll from a Cent bank box.
    Thus far, 45 wheats found (no keys yet). Here's the best part. In the 19th roll, I found 17 wheaties! 17. Almost half the roll was full of wheats. Here's the best one from that roll. My oldest find in this box so far.

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 11:49AM

Happy Birthday @Kurisu but don't blame me :) You know those rolls were calling you for a long time, you just finally gave in :D Second cup of coffee sounds good as I'm gonna need it. I'm going through all of my so-called keepers trying to put an order together. What I'm finding is that I have a lot of extra flips now.

Then I have these left...

• Options

@joeykoins With as many Wheats those rolls most likely have not been checked. So there's that.

• Options

Fantastic!
    Your drawer looks like a lot like my cabinet, except most of my rolls are vintage and U.S. Mint!
    With the exception of what I just posted :smiley:
    I've got a few of those same exact Lincoln U.S. Mint rolls as well.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Fantastic!
    Your drawer looks like a lot like my cabinet, except most of my rolls are vintage and U.S. Mint!
    With the exception of what I just posted :smiley:
    I've got a few of those same exact Lincoln U.S. Mint rolls as well.

I need to search for some original bank rolls. I bought a roll of 74 d a while back from an antique store and two of them graded 67 but not 68 :#

• Options
    edited December 19, 2020 12:54PM

Best of show for the new dimes and I think I may have something here.
    This first one is absolutely amazing and I won't be shy about a 68!
    The 2nd one below it is so very close but not quite as pristine.

@CoinscratchFever Thought you'd enjoy seeing my mini setup for this kind of thing...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Cool. I was stuck on this one and moving on now. I couldn't match it to any of the 12 dd's on Variety Vista. Maybe it's 13.

• Options

@Kurisu I think I see some DCAM in there :)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu I think I see some DCAM in there :)

Ya :smiley:
    15 in one roll!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited December 23, 2020 2:18PM

This just makes my day!!! :-)
    Right in the middle of a fresh roll of 2020s

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu - She's pretty, 3.1?
    I ordered a box of 81p cents that should be here in a week or two. Fingers crossed, will need at least 4 67's to cover all costs including grading etc.

• Options

Found in a bank box, along with 182 other wheaties.

1909p NO vdb

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 12:32AM

Found a proof 1960 Jefferson nickel in change sitting on top of my dresser. No double die. It was given in amongst 2020 quarters and nickels. It showed some wear but still a nice find.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2020 6:22PM

Just found this at the start of my cent bank box hunt. The #043 of the 100+
    Beat up but quite the variety.

Wexler's

• Options

@joeykoins Nice find!

• Options

Good catch @joeykoins.... I spotted that right away in your first picture. These - and the several other varieties - caused quite a furor back then. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said: caused quite a furor back then. Cheers, RickO

Yes RickO, it most certainly did. Over 100+ dd's. That's just on the Philadelphia's. Many more on the d's and Proofs. Lol

• Options
    edited December 25, 2020 11:57AM

Found this yesterday. What a rollercoaster it took me on!

It weighs 3.1

Most probably not, but what a THRILL!

• Options

Well that was totally unexpected! :smiley:
    I really haven't seen many toned Roosevelt dime in my entire life.
    No complaints about my Dec toner finds!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Third Bank box of Cents in three weeks

• Options

@joeykoins I’m starting to see a trend there :D and I am stepping up my game a little bit here, these coins have been quarantined for 39 1/2 years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file