Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins,
    Congratulations! And a Lowell to boot! Makes it even better! Joe

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 years of coin roll hunting and I've never found an off-center in the wild of any denomination...
    What are we talking here...2%!?
    Hope I don't need to search for another 45 years to find a 4%er!
    LOL! :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say you will still have to keep looking for a true off center. That is from a slightly misaligned die.

Here's info from "Lincoln Cents Online" website:

Misaligned Die
    A misaligned die error (MAD) happens when the hammer die and the anvil die become misaligned. This is almost always because the hammer die shifts in it's holder. The more out of alignment the dies are, the more collectable the coin will be. Coins showing a misalignment of less than 10% usually have no collector value.

Some new collectors will confuse a misaligned die error with an off center strike. An off center strike happens when the planchet is off center with both dies, the result will be shown on both sides of the coin.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited February 21, 2022 5:32PM

@Steven59 said:
    Sorry to say you will still have to keep looking for a true off center. That is from a slightly misaligned die.

Here's info from "Lincoln Cents Online" website:

Misaligned Die
    A misaligned die error (MAD) happens when the hammer die and the anvil die become misaligned. This is almost always because the hammer die shifts in it's holder. The more out of alignment the dies are, the more collectable the coin will be. Coins showing a misalignment of less than 10% usually have no collector value.

Some new collectors will confuse a misaligned die error with an off center strike. An off center strike happens when the planchet is off center with both dies, the result will be shown on both sides of the coin.

I know... having some fun...Notice both sides equally off...I'd argue just barely off center as apposed to misaligned. :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Grabbed a couple rolls of quarters and halves...promptly dropped the bag on the stone floor of the bank lobby.
    Hope there weren't too many MS69's in there :smiley::wink:

We dropped 66 degrees in 9 hours, ALMOST a Colorado record.
    -2 in Denver right now, I'm working from home today...I know what I'm doing during my lunch lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Grabbed a couple rolls of quarters and halves...promptly dropped the bag on the stone floor of the bank lobby.
    Hope there weren't too many MS69's in there :smiley::wink:

We dropped 66 degrees in 9 hours, ALMOST a Colorado record.
    -2 in Denver right now, I'm working from home today...I know what I'm doing during my lunch lol!

Good Luck, dude.
    Catch those Stars (W's).
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Going a different route.

NICKELS!

The box looks old and dingy. Hope the coins are as well?
    :D

Let's Roll...

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

I have been searching for actual decades and I have never seen a white roll from Loomis.
    From my credit union today.

They don't take customer rolls because they have a coin counting machine for loose coins, they only get Loomis so I know it's from their Loomis boxes...

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    [ I have been searching for actual decades and I have never seen a white roll from Loomis.
    From my credit union today.]

The last time I received the White with Blue rolls was from a Huntington bank inside Giant Eagle. 40 rolls of nickels in them damn white wrappers produced ONE 1959 nickel and that was it. Everytime I seem them White rolls I run the other way - LOL!!!

Best of luck!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Kurisu said:
    [ I have been searching for actual decades and I have never seen a white roll from Loomis.
    From my credit union today.]

The last time I received the White with Blue rolls was from a Huntington bank inside Giant Eagle. 40 rolls of nickels in them damn white wrappers produced ONE 1959 nickel and that was it. Everytime I seem them White rolls I run the other way - LOL!!!

Best of luck!

I'm talking about that single all white roll, it's pennies. Yup the blue for nickels has been around forever.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 24, 2022 12:28AM

I was just ready to put up the SKUNK pic.
    But then this!

In the LAST roll too!

Can you guys see it?

:o

• Options

@joeykoins said:

33 Quarter Rolls/5 Dime Rolls

In 1st Roll

Silver!

What I'm enjoying the most is your boundless enthusiasm... attitude is everything. Also you sound a lot like me when I was younger :blush:
    ....I'm 52 lol.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

33 Quarter Rolls/5 Dime Rolls

In 1st Roll

Silver!

What I'm enjoying the most is your boundless enthusiasm... attitude is everything. Also you sound a lot like me when I was younger :blush:
    ....I'm 52 lol.

I got you beat at 54 :D

• Options

Well boys and girls, PCGS has me pulling and scouring through all of my saved Jeff’s after a recent success at the chocolate factory. It represents my most valuable find to date. I’ll post the results once the true views are available, The grades just hit a few days ago so it shouldn’t take too much longer.

P.S. @joeykoins I have found seven or eight V nickels and it’s always a cool surprise!

Meanwhile back at the ranch…

• Options
    edited February 24, 2022 9:04PM

@Coinscratch said:
    Meanwhile back at the ranch…

Me, I'm 64. 2 1/2 yrs. to go for retirement!
    Can't wait.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    Gee, what WILL you do with all that free time? :D

Guess it is slowly getting to me and becoming therapeutical also :blush::lol:
    Found two interesting coins - one is the spitting horse 1999 Delaware state quarter and the other one is yet another floating roof 1970 D Lincoln penny. :smiley:
    Slowly starting to enjot it but it's taking toll on my already weakening eyesight

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds. Be sure to do your searching in good light, wear glasses if you have them (if not, see your ophthalmologist), and have a magnifying glass handy. Those will all help with your eyesight.... and identification of special coins if you find any. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Walked into one of the large Chase branches yesterday to grab some Friday rolls. As I was walking up she said gently "I have no quarter rolls for you today, we didn't get any quarters.". She is one of the tellers who enjoys seeing pics of cool finds.

She told me they didn't even get dimes either. I asked about nickels and she gave me all their rolls, as you can see it wasn't many. Then she said I have some loose dollars and halves and she scooped them all up and put them in the tray and said do you want any of these? She was letting me search them before I left lol.

Sitting right on top was a proof lol! So she got to learn what a proof was since there was no one in line behind me. I told her I'll just take the pile after a quick lesson in impaired proofs :blush:

Nothing too special was in those nickel rolls, just a couple from the 40's.
    5 of the nickel rolls are solid 2021-D so I'm stashing those...maybe I'll open one of them today for a white-glove search :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@vulcanize.... Really nice Kennedy album.... I did one, years ago... Stopped somewhere around 2008 I think... I did get the special issues in later years, but left them in the mint package. Did he get the DDR's? There are some interesting varieties there....Check the CPG. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Let's GO...

I'm letting the "cat out of the bag!" Lol

Time to find #101 W Quarter!

• Options

@ricko said:
    @vulcanize.... Really nice Kennedy album.... I did one, years ago... Stopped somewhere around 2008 I think... I did get the special issues in later years, but left them in the mint package. Did he get the DDR's? There are some interesting varieties there....Check the CPG. Cheers, RickO

Thank you.
    Did you add anymore pages for coins after 2008?
    I completed the Dansco 8166 of Kennedy Half Dollars including proofs from 1964 to 2011 and did not feel motivated to go beyond (do have the mint sets and can break it out of there if need be to make it up to date).
    Unfortunately, my son has the attention span of a gnat and did not get in depth with errors and such. He was solely looking for silver, trying to make money and cycle through the big boxes as fast as possible. :(

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, I am admiring the Kennedys.
    Nice album. You should fill that ‘70D spot for him with a crack out.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    As usual, I am admiring the Kennedys.
    Nice album. You should fill that ‘70D spot for him with a crack out.
    Wayne

Thank you.
    I did think of it and asked him, but in typical teenage fashion he was like "whatever, doesn't matter". Probably would have gone and sold it on eBay right away if the 70 D was put in.
    Gave him an Englehard round along with a silver Chinese Panda instead, for his CRH efforts and put the Kennedy half album away. :wink:

• Options
    edited February 28, 2022 11:59PM

Through 25 Rolls, half the box, only finding this

<3

Box Complete

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2022 6:05PM

First W find in quite some time. WIP one of the more common in my area

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    First W find in quite some time. WIP one of the more common in my area

Nice.
    I have to look but I think this is the only one I haven't come across yet...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Searched two rolls.
    I strangely like these roller marks, I find them, soothing lol.
    And a hole...it's going on the keychain :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

3rd one found
    E

• Options

DDR

• Options

• Options

@vulcanize.... No, I have not added any pages..... Have not even looked at it in about ten years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 1, 2022 5:06AM

Fun finds

• Options
    edited March 1, 2022 8:22AM

Just arrived...I got a ridiculous deal at about $4 per roll after shipping!

Full disclosure I already have quite a collection of mint rolls but I could not resist...look at that toning on two of the rolls!
    A bunch of my nickel mint rolls from the Return to Monticello series are toning blue or gold...but not THAT gold!

This color is accurate...I may have to open one or two of these this weekend...

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited March 1, 2022 11:11AM

@Coin_nut1977 Great going there.
    Thank you for reminding about the variety vista link to look for errors. Got a whole lot of rolled up quarters that would need to be unrolled and searched.

@ricko
    I have been intentionally going slow on the purchases for the past year and so planning to CRH for a while to keep my fidgety fingers busy. Give me a shout if you need any empty space fillers for your book.
    Also gonna look at all the photography threads on here and start practicing because my picture taking skills suck. :blush:

@Kurisu
    Very nice golden hue - almost like the Sacagawea dollars.
    Are you going to open them or leave it as is where is? :)

Below is the two sets of colored Westward journey coins my son got for free from one of the dealers. Not of any value but gives a fun perspective for the youngster - anything to rope in a young nusmismatist. :smiley:

His CRH find prior to getting these colored ones was posted earlier on this thread https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13047109#Comment_13047109 :lol:

Edited to add link

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu Those rolls look awesome and especially for the price.
    I recently had one graded and it came back SP68 and I thought it would go 69. Anyway, after looking at Coinfacts I realized mostly why mine graded low. And that would be Strike.

Here is mine and the second pic is a SP70 from Coinfacts. Look closely at the hair on the left side of the obverse and compare. You can easily see there the difference in strike.

Very nice.
    The certificate number was almost a palindrome. :wink:

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Just arrived...I got a ridiculous deal at about $4 per roll after shipping!

Full disclosure I already have quite a collection of mint rolls but I could not resist...look at that toning on two of the rolls!
    A bunch of my nickel mint rolls from the Return to Monticello series are toning blue or gold...but not THAT gold!

This color is accurate...I may have to open one or two of these this weekend...

Good Luck in finding the big one!
    The Speared for the Denver's.
    and The DDO on the word "Liberty" on the Philadelphia's.
    ;)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu Those rolls look awesome and especially for the price.
    I recently had one graded and it came back SP68 and I thought it would go 69. Anyway, after looking at Coinfacts I realized mostly why mine graded low. And that would be Strike.

Here is mine and the second pic is a SP70 from Coinfacts. Look closely at the hair on the left side of the obverse and compare. You can easily see there the difference in strike.

Were those from Mint rolls?
    Because out of the nickel Mint rolls I have opened I got just a few of the satin finish...maybe I should revisit them.
    But I take a VERY close look at them all when opened the rolls for those better than 66 specimens.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@vulcanize said:
    @Kurisu
    Very nice golden hue - almost like the Sacagawea dollars.
    Are you going to open them or leave it as is where is?

Yes. :smile: They will slowly and steadily get opened. I might open one or two this weekend.
    I buy my rolls for opening :blush:
    You very well may get the opportunity to actually watch me opening these :smiley:

Awesome dealer gift! I would've loved those when I was a YN. My parents encouraged me with fun stuff like that too! Well, with different stuff, it was the 70's :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@kurisu well obviously the business strike coins will be more valuable according to grade so I wouldn’t worry too much about the satin coins especially in a roll. Mine came from these type of sets and you’ll notice the 2004 has business strike whereas the 5, 6 and seven probably do not, kind of like the Lincoln‘s. I don’t know, there’s a gray area in there for me I haven’t quite completely figured it out yet :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file