Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

December Holiday Cheer what new cards bring in the New Year ?

Didn't see a new pickups thread for December figured I'd start one. Think I'm probably the only person in America who didn't spend a nickel over Black Friday weekend-- too busy working and scanning to buy anything.And speaking of scanning more slabs. Whole bunch of low Pop stuff .
A recent post by @Larkincollector made me remember my Golf slabs to scan.Been holding these forever finally subbed them during the special earlier came back a while ago just getting to scans.Have others that Pacific History set wanted that card to be Sammy's first subbed item :) Funny how they can turn on ya !!

Comments

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Forgot a game used card- sorry :blush:
    Maddux is a Pop 1 none higher these are an absolute bear to grade high
    They always come out crap condition this one pack fresh pulled myself.
    If our resident Maddux collector needs for your master set just shoot me an email

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    A recent post by @Larkincollector made me remember my Golf slabs to scan.Been holding these forever finally subbed them during the special earlier came back a while ago just getting to scans.

Nice job on the golf! 10s are really tough with the mix of white/color borders, especially the black corner on the 01s.

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I had this poster hanging in my dorm in college. Through 7 moves it somehow went missing. I found this 4x6 last week and had to have it. A day later I found the actual poster and got it as well.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2019 11:29AM

First of the month. Published in The Observer magazine in the 9/19/ 1976 issue as part of a set of forty fours players featured under the title “We Are The Champions”. Now my quest to obtain a copy of the actual magazine begins.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Have always loved this image of Jr and the perfect swing. Coupled with the rarity of the Desert Shield 115 9’s and 24 10’s. These don’t come up for sale for reasonable cash that often.

Awesome!

• Options

Hello, Walter! That looks pristine.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be on the lower end of the spectrum, grade wise, but it has a certain eye appeal and came at a price low enough where it was click to looks quick to buy in under 30 seconds. (I NEVER do that but it's a seller I trust and the price, again, was too good to pass. I don't need high grade though I'll take it, I need nice looking and reasonably priced.) There's two spots of paper loss: the nick in the black background and a tear by the hat (which kind of blends in, I think, certainly at a cursory glance). It is not especially rare but I have always liked the card, it is very vintage, it is very Yankees and it's one of the all time greats. On the Mount Rushmore of Yankees greats, in fact.

1939 Goudey Premiums R303B Joe DiMaggio

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 2:10PM

Also, I found this at a local baseball card show last night in Parsippany, NJ. While I am not going to let this turn into a thing, I thought the fact that it's presence at the show was more than a mere coincidence as I haven't really seen many for sale at this show in the past. All things considered, it fits my collection pretty well as it is a fairly significant game in the career of the Mick, being both the first World Series hit for him and the infamous season ending (and speed altering) knee injury that is often blamed on Joe DiMaggio, in error. While the Yankees would go on to win the Series - the middle of a run of 5 straight - this would ultimately be Mickey's last game for the 1951 season. So, I'm pretty stoked about this new out of the ordinary for me pickup...
    1951 World Series (NYY v NYG) Ticket - Game 2 - Mickey Mantle's 1st W.S. Hit/Knee Injury

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

With honey, not vinegar ;)

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Fresh from The Fritsch Vault.

nice

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great mail day today!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    Great mail day today!

Nice pickup! I love seeing signed items with the MaAlister pedigree! Here is a little info on him if you are curious.

net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158136

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@pab1969 said:
    Great mail day today!

Nice pickup! I love seeing signed items with the MaAlister pedigree! Here is a little info on him if you are curious.

net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158136

Thanks for the comments and the link maddux69. It was a great post. I have a couple of autos from his collection and I think it is very cool to have your name on a PSA label. He must have had one hell of a collection.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:
    :/

That’s because you have every Griffey card already. 😀

• Options

UFFDAH how'd you extract that box ? Me likey :)

These slabs were just re-slabbed in the new lighthouse slabs. Some were PC pickups for sets I'm working on others parts of lots picked up over the years. Downsizing so wanted the newest slabs on them so I can resell those that aren't staying.

The Juan Gone brings back memories of that loaded 90's team they had. Andruw's for my Finest set would prefer non-coated but beggars can't be choosy. It came cheap in a lot buy so I'll accept it til I can Gem my own non-covered copy. The Price I'm sitting on til that trade market for him heats up. Then I'll roll it out. Had to contact the PSA set registry people that one was sitting in someones old registry had to extract it as I own it now.

Boggs is just one of hundreds of Star Red Sox items I'm slabbing I've kept for 30 years. Some series have lots of gems others its nearly impossible due to centering .I haven't subbed many from this series so not yet able to tell if this series is easy. I do know on many of my others its just so hard to gem. The Boggs /Gwynn series for example many are off-center.

Many more to follow I sent in 30 to be re-slabbed in separate 10 card orders.

• Options

Some Garciaparras back freshly renewed slabs. Many were in slabs nearly 10-15 years old they look much better now in newer slabs. The Bagwell I've shown before I own a PSA 10 going to be selling this one down the road. Re-slabbed so its brand new for buyers so they don't have to.

Finally two new Bagwells both in the newest lighthouse slabs. The 1996 Finest Bronze #299 Bagwell is a Pop 1 looks great in the newer slab. I have a base #299 Bagwell in also I hope does well. Out of 156 of my 1996 Finest Bagwell #299 base I found less than 5 acceptable copies.

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

snagged this the other day

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    Game day poster handed out by the Eagles prior to the 2019 season opener against Washington. Santa will be leaving this under our Christmas tree for my younger son to commemorate his first trip to Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. The local artist who created the poster was also present and was kind enough to sign it as well.

Hopefully your son doesn't read the forums here ;) Awesome gift idea!

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@dad2cl3 said:
    Game day poster handed out by the Eagles prior to the 2019 season opener against Washington. Santa will be leaving this under our Christmas tree for my younger son to commemorate his first trip to Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. The local artist who created the poster was also present and was kind enough to sign it as well.

Hopefully your son doesn't read the forums here ;) Awesome gift idea!

Funny story. My wife thought it was a silly idea and told me she thought he would lose interest quickly. About a week later, while she was present, he asked me when I would frame the poster. Needless to say, I made sure to make eye contact with my wife to make sure she saw clearly the smug grin on my face :-)

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 8:13AM

• Options

@dictoresno1 said:

Me likey- me want :o Gotta check if I own that one yet Garciaparras not my prime guy but a secondary one I'll check.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 2:04AM

1949 Godfrey Phillips Sports Cigarettes Joe Louis. I want to give a big thanks to Greg..

• Options

@jeffv96masters said:

@dictoresno1 said:

Me likey- me want :o Gotta check if I own that one yet Garciaparras not my prime guy but a secondary one I'll check.

impulse buy. I have a few PSA 10 98 atomics, wanted to see if I could add this one to the group.

• Options

back from PSA yesterday. not exactly impressed with this group of grades but will suffice.

• Options

Another nice 61 auto.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 3:28PM

In a departure from my normal collecting been going after this On Demand set trying to get all the base, /50, /10 autographs (if they exist) or regular if they do not. Down to needing 2 /10 autographs and 3/10 base. This set appealed to me because '55 Bowman was my Dad's favorite and I have been working on a HOF set for a long time. This has been a very fun project and a nice departure from vintage. Not going to scan everything but this is likely the only rainbow I will ever get.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Have always loved this image of Jr and the perfect swing. Coupled with the rarity of the Desert Shield 115 9’s and 24 10’s. These don’t come up for sale for reasonable cash that often.

really great card!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 8:14AM

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a few Bernie Williams autographs lately

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added Baines to my HOF Rookie set. Now I'm looking for a Ted Simmons Rookie PSA 7 or 8.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 2:22PM

@dictoresno1 said:
    back from PSA yesterday. not exactly impressed with this group of grades but will suffice.

8s are totally unfair on the black and 150th.

And since it looks like you are doing the full run, does gleyber have a ”Clear” promotion card? Not talking about the clear/acetate/10. Similar to the Utz. Very small promo. Acuna and Soto have ones. Think the card number should be #C-GT or something to that effect. Very under the radar regional run. For now.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 10th Lou Brock card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@artee said:

@dictoresno1 said:

8s are totally unfair on the black and 150th.

And since it looks like you are doing the full run, does gleyber have a ”Clear” promotion card? Not talking about the clear/acetate/10. Similar to the Utz. Very small promo. Acuna and Soto have ones. Think the card number should be #C-GT or something to that effect. Very under the radar regional run. For now.

I really wish I could post my 2600 dpi scans of the black, its definitely deserving of an 8.5 or 9. and the 150 anniv card, noooooo idea what PSA was thinking on it. its sharp as can be, surfaces were good. a lot of people in our group sub seem to all do good or all do bad. seems like we may keep getting newer or more reserved graders. seems very inconsistent with past subs of similar cards with similar corners. oh well what can you do.

and yes, there is a Gleyber PKWY variation and one from Clear Travel